Sign in to follow this  
Luxfere

Tropics Heat waves wtf

In the tropics ive seen the temperature go up to 155 and in the desert at max maybe 115 seriously fix this nonsense. You cant survive this , and houses do nothing nor does dumping into the ocean. 

I've found that a lot of people seem to over-value Fort to deal with Heat waves.  I've never died to heat and never taken a point of fort, even in Tropics.  Hyperthermal resist is way more important.  The right Clothing, especially if you find some with extra Hyperthermal, is pretty huge.  The Spicy Rolls help a lot too.  People seem to undervalue cooking (often wondering why there's a vitamin system when you can just die) but the buffs from cooking are pretty powerful and make vitamins easier (which gets you equilibrium which comes with a massive fort boost).

Now yes, I very very often take 20-30 damage over the course of a tropics heat wave, and jumping in the water (and staying there at the hottest times of day) does help reduce the damage, same as being indoors (and turning off any fires, which give a hyperthermal penalty)

9 hours ago, Luxfere said:

In the tropics ive seen the temperature go up to 155 and in the desert at max maybe 115 seriously fix this nonsense. You cant survive this , and houses do nothing nor does dumping into the ocean. 

Which is weird, because in our tropic grid, heatwaves hit 120 or so, but we deal with constantly being cold, with cold snaps below freezing. Not quite sure how the coconuts are growing on the island with an average high temperature of 54f and a low of 37f. Its like living in temperate but with palm trees and elephants.

7 hours ago, Archsenex said:

Hyperthermal resist is way more important.  The right Clothing, especially if you find some with extra Hyperthermal, is pretty huge.

THIS.

I have scaned to our cloth BP and crafted set with the highest Hyperthermal protection. Did a long journey in tropical/equatiorial with fully skilled in intelligence (for crafting / so no extra fortitude). Never ever took on HP hit from heat.

Same for Polar, i have a set with > 510 Hypothermal protection, at this point i go swim for sharks at -20°C.

I have had the stage 2 overheating buff during a cold wave while 100% wet wearing cloth at the equator. lol