Sign in to follow this  
Winter Thorne

Why are cobras even in the game?

They're broken as anything, and warp through any amount of structures.  Why not just remove them until (if) you can get them working right?  They're just a mob...not critical to any element of gameplay.  Replace them with more spawns of existing creatures that don't have the problem so badly, or put something new in that doesn't warp through objects.  They're needlessly annoying with no redeeming game features.

Because they remembered how much people who lived near the swamps in Ark loved titanboas, and wanted to give everyone the same joy here.

Last night, I got to see a new one for me. Alpha cobra took on 2 elephants and an alpha elephant. It killed the two regular elephants, hit the alpha elephant a couple times, and the alpha elephant decided to flee...with 80% hitpoints. So you had an alpha cobra with less than 10% of its hitpoints, chasing an alpha elephant that had 80% of its health? That seems...odd.

50 minutes ago, Bad News Bear said:

Only thing broken about them is their hitbox.

I think they are a delicious pain in the ass.

Well, that and their tendancy to glitch into/through solid objects.

I've had cobras end up inside my floor, which is solid stacked foundations 2-4 high. (Maybe they tried to fast travel to my bed, because the bed there still consistently puts me inside the foundations if I fast travel to it, but I can respawn on it with no issues)

I also had a cobra inside my bank...that sits on a platform of solid foundations.  Speaking of the bank, why the hell do cobras, rattlesnakes, and tigers insist on trying to eat the damn thing?

1 hour ago, Bad News Bear said:

Only thing broken about them is their hitbox.

I think they are a delicious pain in the ass.

They haven't been able to get the collision detection right with them.  I'm sure hunting them is fun, but repairing the hell out of everything they chew up all the time is really boring.  People are sick of them eating all their tames.

Yesterday I put a sign on my boathouse saying, "No Snakes Allowed".  This morning I watched an alpha cobra eat the sign.  For no earthly reason at all.

Let the devs give you some other nice big mob to hunt that doesn't glitch through walls.

• Haha 1

I love the alpha ones for the XP. Even though it’s not as good as rattlesnakes. 

Edited by Percieval

They do the same shit Allo in ark did. The eat my elephant and rhino 2 foundations and then 2 walls high. I mad a high Penn son I thought they where save. Nope death.

Parked a bear and I see the Cobra glitch on the roof I luckily could save the bear. I just park them now on my boats.

No problem with cobra but the glitching I'm sick of it. 

Yeah, they are the mos glitchy mob right after the bear (bcs bear does all kinds of stuff, not just being op, such as space programs when loading on the ship, or earth core drilling when placed in stables). However, the most pain in them is that their rotating = they can hit us even with their ass while their hitbox is all over the place and the only hitbox that matters is head which is under their chin... and their head on top of that slithers left and right, fighting them while having "high ground" doesn't realy feel beneficial when their head is hidden in dirt like an ostrich, would be nice if when they changed direction, their head would just change direction an the rest of the body would just follow the head.

I wish they would scale down some of the wild animals. Rattlesnake is about the right size for what it is. Crocodiles are way to big, so are cobras. Cobras also hit a shit ton harder than rattlesnakes. Cobras should be a lot less common than they are. You could honestly say that for most of the animals in Atlas atm. I would love to see more variety and less of the copy paste of animals on every island. Pretty much going to find cobras, pigs, rattlesnakes, seagulls on every island. The ones which lack these have Yetis, wolves, or tigers. I also love how nothing ever causes the predators to flee or think twice about attacking. And if you walk into a situation where to are attacking each other they suddenly hate you more than each other and both come after you until you or they are dead. If you happen to die then they suddenly hate each other again. I don't mind the survival aspect of the game at all. Just feel it's too much you vs everything. If animals in the real world were actually like they are in Atlas we would have far less people surviving through the ages.

15 minutes ago, Thor Ragnarock said:

I wish they would scale down some of the wild animals

Move somewhere else. Some places are worse than others if you cant deal with them just move.

I deal with them just fine, doesn't mean they shouldn't be scaled down (in size) talking the actual physical size of the model.

Try reading past the first sentence next time and this would have been obvious

Edited by Thor Ragnarock

I'd be fine with them just the same size as rattlesnakes but with a ranged spit, make them like actual cobras.

Unless they up the harvest on beef, pork, and lamb chops while their at it I'd prefer to keep the Cobra.

In general cobras are not to bad, what is bad with them is the glichy body.

- glitching into buildings. In the glitched state they can attack (or not) but tames can not fight back sometimes.

- When fighting alfas with a bear, the bear can be stucked in the cobra and not move out of it.

- Fucking body really likes to be picked up!

- Do not even try to fight (bow) a cobra which is changing directions, just move backwards a bit and wait for it to come straigth at u.

- Make sure u are not on a meshing surface, cobra can not be hit because underground

Rattlesnakes - what is this? even alfas die from 2-3 bodyshoots!

Regarding size, i thing it is really good to have the cobra at its current size, try to spot / fight them in a densed vegetation otherwise.

We finally had enough of glitching animals and moved our base.

The daily, often multiple times with specially Cobras inside was enough. Number 2 on the list was Lions and Tigers and a few rare exceptions with Horses and Seagulls. Tho Seagulls are a problem on their own on ships.

We reached the point where we used bears as room guardians....

Edited by Shintai

18 hours ago, MeatSammich said:

Well, that and their tendancy to glitch into/through solid objects.

I've had cobras end up inside my floor, which is solid stacked foundations 2-4 high. (Maybe they tried to fast travel to my bed, because the bed there still consistently puts me inside the foundations if I fast travel to it, but I can respawn on it with no issues)

I also had a cobra inside my bank...that sits on a platform of solid foundations.  Speaking of the bank, why the hell do cobras, rattlesnakes, and tigers insist on trying to eat the damn thing?

We were doing maps at a powerstone island once and found an unlimited respawn of cobras in one of the buildings, we lured out maybe 100 of thwm and had an epic swivel cannon fight with them with our bear.

turns out sometimes they play dead and then come all alive and box you in... rip bear

I'm Ok with Cobras, if i can't kill them, i can run faster than them. My pain in the ass are the Lions. They have a kind of glue in their snout :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Yea if I don't see the lion/tiger first usually the last sound I hear before I know I am going to die is 'thud thud thud' from their feet. Then I get grabbed, punch my way out of it's mouth, shoot the thing in the head and die from the bleed. Even a low level one tears you up. A cobra I can hear from a good distance off. As soon as I hear that sound I just run from the sound, spin around and locate it and try to shoot it under the head if I can, pretty much dies instantly. But the hit box can definitely be wonky sometimes as can their movement so sometimes it takes a few shots.