Sign in to follow this  
war machine

Treasure Maps

This is a 2fer

First,  are maps random in quality or some areas have a higher chance of better maps?

Second  Most of the time when i find a map that is 15 or better in quality  I pick it up but then it doesnt show up in my inventory,   This is very annoying and makes me cry 

I picked up a master map in a freeport, so, im guessing theyre pretty random at quality, independant of where you pick them up 🙂

as for not getting a map upon opening. This, is also random. I am guessing, that sometimes, the game simulates a destroyed map, that is utterly unreadable, and thus, you get nothing when activating the bottle.

*An idea could be, that every single bottle drops something. Might be a treasure map, or a withered / destroyed and useless map. this would ensure, that people dun think it is a bug, but get something, that makes some sort of sense ^.^

My Guess:

Treasure maps seems to choose a grid where they are located (higher maps are further away), then the server hosting this grid is ask for a position etc.

When the server does not respond, the Map fail to be generated.

I think most of the failing maps are in a PowerStone Grid anyway, and the server is stressed.

Sometimes lower qualitiy map fails also, but when u visit the other island in the Grid u may see huge overbuild areas, i guess map which try to spawn there (inside a Foundation) will also fail.

well for the map quality yea its random, after i feel i get more from toundra polar (less ppl, flat, less building) but its just my opinion

and when you pick up and get nothing, its probably a bug, or take from tax idk, but its really annoying

Maps have a decay timer that the bottles do not.   If you pickup a bottle and get nothing, the map had already expired.

• Like 2

Also, the treasure location appears to be fixed.  on PvE Many times trolls have built a wall around the exact spot where the beam of light comes from..  more than coincidence.  I found a high quality map, followed it across several grids to find.... yes you guessed it... a base, walled off with the beam coming from perfectly within its boundary.  No way in, owners nowhere to be found.

I fear this will become increasingly more frequent.

13 minutes ago, Khaler said:

Maps have a decay timer that the bottles do not.   If you pickup a bottle and get nothing, the map had already expired.

how do you explain the bottles showing up after a server restart but the map not showing then? had this happen multiple times, bottle isn't on the beach as the server restarts, bottle is there 5 min later when we come back on and it's a 18 quality but nothing comes of it.

37 minutes ago, trqfreak350 said:

how do you explain the bottles showing up after a server restart but the map not showing then? had this happen multiple times, bottle isn't on the beach as the server restarts, bottle is there 5 min later when we come back on and it's a 18 quality but nothing comes of it.

Ya, I think that explanation is bogus.

My theory is this (and I've read stuff that seems to support it):

Before you pick up the bottle, it only has a quality, the location is unknown. When you pick it up, a random grid is chosen and then a random location on that grid of the quality that the bottle was and the map is created in your inventory.

Now stuff can go wrong, the grid chosen may not have any treasure map locations. For instance, the Krakken grid. Or the grid is not up. When this happens, no map is put in your inventory.

A better method would be that if the map can't be created, a new random map is generated. I suppose they don't do this, because it could take quite a while for a valid one to be made is there were serious problems with the server.

yeah the whole expired map is bogus explanation, i run around where we have settled, and each night random bottles respawn and the higher quality ones are 80% of the time just vanish into thin air and not register

Edited by Mahakmar

I wish the maps location were completely random. So there would be a chance to get Hi LVL near you, or get a low lvl as an addition to your far journey (for resources and tames for example).

1 hour ago, Vorxius said:

Also, the treasure location appears to be fixed.  on PvE Many times trolls have built a wall around the exact spot where the beam of light comes from..  more than coincidence.  I found a high quality map, followed it across several grids to find.... yes you guessed it... a base, walled off with the beam coming from perfectly within its boundary.  No way in, owners nowhere to be found.

I fear this will become increasingly more frequent.

It's not fixed, unless there are several dozen on each island.  We've chased them all over creation, some of them just happen to be in places people would like to build (on coasts etc).

Just now, George Catcher said:

I wish the maps location were completely random. So there would be a chance to get Hi LVL near you, or get a low lvl as an addition to your far journey (for resources and tames for example).

We frequently end up ping-poinging back and forth.  Get a journeyman map at home, head over 8 grids to do it, grab maps there until we get one at home.

grab maps there until we get one at home.

Unfortunatelly it never work for me this way : ) I go from my polar circle to southern areas - get treasure and then all maps just send me east or west : ) Even whit low lvl - there are 3 islands in my area. I go to neighbor island for treasure. Then all low maps send me to third one. All maps there send me back to neighbor one. And again all maps send me to the third. I never dig the treasure in my island : ))

Lucky me!

1 hour ago, Khaler said:

This is completely wrong. It is not that the map has expired, but rather that you are a bad person and God dislikes you personally. Taunting you with an empty bottle is his way of telling you to straighten up and stop having impure thoughts about hedgehogs, you perv. Those of us who are righteous are always blessed with mastercraft maps one grid over.  It is nothing so trivial as a coding glitch but rather a judgement on your immortal soul.

At least that’s what my therapist tells me anyway.