delaigle

PVE Claim

1 hour ago, Daemon Cross said:

John I never said I wanted you to join my company or I would be willing to join yours, you merely stated to make some friends and have them gather gold for you. I was just checking to see if you would be willing to do what your suggesting someone else to do. I’m not complaining about not having gold nor have I complained about being solo, I am however stating that the system doesn’t need a gold or mat upkeep to keep claims. 

Simple solution is to make the claim holder physically visit each of his flags in each region at least once within a two week period. Those of us with 5 claims that’s not going to be a issue but those with 500 claims or 50 claims is going to get tired of logging in just to jump from bed to bed in order to hold claims. They will prioritize what they want to keep and let the others go

What is your definition of a freeloader, I think I may be one. Is it someone who can’t afford to pay a gold fee to maintain flags ? If so I am one and now I’m going to cry... thanks John

I'd be down with upkeep, as long as it is A: reasonable, and B: not gold. I'd be fine if it was X amount of the basic resources of wood/metal/stone/thatch/fiber per claim per week, scaling up as you have more claims. It would give more meaning to taxes, and would be something everyone can get. 

Something in the order of for 1-5 claims would be 1k of each claim per week per mat, 5-10 claims would be 2k of each per claim, 10-15 would be 3k per mat per claim, and then start scaling rapidly, adding 5k mats per claim for every 5 more claims you held.

Treasure maps bore the hell out of me, and if both upkeeps and player shops only take gold, the player shop idea is gonna be dead on arrival if people have to choose between paying rent, and buying goods.

Honestly, none of it is really going to affect the megas a whole lot more than it hurts the little guys, unless it is A: easily obtainable, and B: drastically scaled.

Edited by MeatSammich

1 hour ago, John Doe said:

I'm thinking it'll prevent freeloaders to keep up claims. In my opinion case would be solved, but you can always prove me wrong.

What the hell is a "freeloader"?   If it's someone who took a claim that doesn't play anymore, the claim will expire.

If it's someone who took a claim and still plays, how can they be a freeloader?  They have as much right to a claim as you do, you both having paid your way into the game.  

2 hours ago, John Doe said:

If they play it shouldn't be a problem for them to pay a rent. If not then let your claim expire. 

You don't listen very well, do you?

Let's try again.

You feel that there's a problem in the game with "freeloaders" and to fix the problem you want people to pay a cost for claims.

What is a "freeloader" and what problem are they creating in the game that needs to be fixed by having a cost for claims?

Edited by Winter Thorne

John I got some who are interested in you paying for them as well, they said since you were offering and but they are in the military so it may take some time for them to get on their feet. I told them you wouldn’t mind at all if it comes to that since it was your idea and you seem to be able to afford it. Thanks pal 🙂 

On a serious note, I can do treasure maps, as long as I’m not losing tames to glitches and alphas while I’m offline.

I was doing good and getting ahead but it seems like I lost 10 of my best tames in a weeks time and it was mostly done while I wasn’t even online. So I’ve really been reworking my pens and such and trying some low level tames in them to see if they still get killed or not. So far this new pen is doing pretty good, I even lured snakes in just to see if they would attack my tames and thus far they have been safe.  I’m getting ready to ramp up my adventure of a lifetime but there are still a few small projects that I want to get finished. 

I made a base above the water so I know your pain. Lost few bears. Managed to move elephants with sloop nearby. Now I keep tames on the ground and they are fine.

39 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

You don't listen very well, do you?

Let's try again.

You feel that there's a problem in the game with "freeloaders" and to fix the problem you want people to pay a cost for claims.

What is a "freeloader" and what problem are they creating in the game that needs to be fixed by having a cost for claims?

I'll just keep repeating myself, but ok. Imagine the best spot ingame that is occupied by single guy. He's logging in every 3 weeks just to reset his timer. He's doing it for 5 years already and every 3 weeks people are waiting to claim it.

21 minutes ago, John Doe said:

I'll just keep repeating myself, but ok. Imagine the best spot ingame that is occupied by single guy. He's logging in every 3 weeks just to reset his timer. He's doing it for 5 years already and every 3 weeks people are waiting to claim it.

You're not repeating yourself.  This is the first time you admitted that it's not a game problem.  It's just that you want your neighbor's property.

And that's pretty hard to imagine...every 3 weeks for 5 years.    I mean, if you don't actually know the guy, you have no idea what he's doing with that spot, but ok, let's imagine that.   If he paid for the game like you did, and got his spot fairly, as I assume you did, the fact that you want his spot is not a problem the game needs to solve.  He gets to have his spot the same as you do, even though he doesn't do anything with it, and you really really want it.  Every player gets to have his spot if he cares enough about it to log in every X days to keep it, because they each paid for the game just like you did.

The fact that you covet your neighbor's property isn't a game problem, and certainly not a gamebreaking problem to the point where they need to ruin the game for those of us who don't enjoy having to do a gold rush just to keep the damn claims.

Now I'll repeat myself.  A number of people here have told you that is IS a problem for them to come up with rent every week for a claim.  But you don't listen.  You just keep saying it's not a problem..  If I have to come up with gold every week I'll probably have to quit.  If I decide I don't want to quit, I'll have to take up taming, which I wasn't all that keen about,  (And I'll have to drop a skill line I wanted to do that) in order to be able to do treasure maps, to get gold.  That means that instead of being able to build the nice little New England coastal place I was working on, I'll have to ruin it with a  bigass barn with gigantic freaking gates, and then when I'm all done building that mess, I have to go tame some animals all so I can go get gold, which I didn't want to do in the first place.    And I don't get to do any of the stuff I want because I'm busy running around doing all this useless crap. Just because you want your neighbor's property.

Nope.

• Like 2

A number of people also said that gaining gold is way too easy and wouldn't solve the problem, so there is where limitation come in place. If you see claim like this, it's clear you'd go for it, loosing every time at least couple of hours just to find your neighboor doing animation where he's pissing at his claim and says - you got trolled. If the upkeep is implemented, at least you'll know, that everyone have to do even if just a little work to keep their claims.

I’m against having a upkeep for claims, logging in to refresh claims is all the upkeep that is needed, there is no difference any way you look at it, take a player such as yourself who seems to have plenty of  gold, if it’s required to place gold or mats in a resource box to keep a claim, then why not place enough in there to cover the next 5 years and log off and go do something else.  Some people in the game have already acquired over 100k gold in the game, do you think paying for claims will affect them any ?  Hell no, the only ones who will suffer are solo players who have no interest in grinding gold to hold claims and new players who are trying to get started.

It doesn’t matter how you look at it, the point is that having a upkeep on claims will not solve anything, having a limit on claims may help but who here would have multiple accounts just to increase the claims they can have ? 

We’ve all paid for this game and we all know it’s early access and we all know change is going to happen. The issue is how to keep the player base you have and still pull in more.   The land issue is a issue and the number of flags one can place is a issue but if each person can hold let’s say 20 flags across all regions, the a company of 5 has 100 flags,   ..... are you starting to see where I’m going with this ? Having a upkeep won’t solve the issue, it will create more issues for solo and new players.

Most of us are still building on our 1st base vs others who have already built multiple bases or even empires.  Some of us are moving at a snails pace in the game because we are here for the long haul, some people have already done everything that the game has to offer and is playing something else until new content arrives.

So who gets punished ? Who decides what is fair for everyone ? We all have ideas and it seems we all are playing the game our own way so we look at the end results differently based on what we have plans to do in game. This isn’t a storyline type of game where players are forced to do things in order to increase skill lines and level up, in this game you level up by simply surviving the environment.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

then why not place enough in there to cover the next 5 years and log off and go do something else.  

So someone actually played the game. Good for him!

Maybe lawless could be without upkeep, so we can switch. What do you say?

5 hours ago, MeatSammich said:

I'd be down with upkeep, as long as it is A: reasonable, and B: not gold.

Seriously, I don't think npc would want anything but gold.

I think I am just tired of people blocking claims....the mechanic does not help either...

In our island there is a company that is not playing anymore, now that the flags became claimable, we went there placed our flags to claim them and now we have another company that sets their players to stand in our claim to stop it....so its a stalemate, because they wont leave and so our claim cannot procede....they say that they can be there 24/7...and now the boredom war begins....the one that bores first and leaves will loose the claim and nothing to do about it....

bad mechanic or bad behaviour in this case?

Edited by JanuzDarkwater

14 hours ago, Daemon Cross said:

Not sure how that would solve anything, large companies would have the resources already to cover the flags, have you seen some of the bases and ships companies have ? Smaller companies and solo players would never get to enjoy the game due to just having to gather resources for upkeep. Right now in the afternoons I spend most of my time making sure the npc’s have gold and food , tames have food and the ships all have resources to repair with.  I struggle keeping tames alive and without them I can’t do treasure maps to provide gold to npc’s who man the sails.

Now with the new captain log that came out they want to revamp the claim system again, I’m sitting here worried I’m going to lose my base again that I’ve sank hundreds of hours into just because I have to go to work or take a week off to spend time with my family on a vacation. 

This is really starting to get old, once you start to get ahead in the game they change something up that causes more stress and aggravation, I mean they can’t even fix the tame going invisible or alphas coming through walls yet and this will be the 3rd revamp on the claim system or fourth.

See yet again daemon you missed the point the only time you apply resources to the upkeep is when that claim is contested and the contested claim loses days from not logging  in the region  of the claim you only apply  resources for one real day lost /per day lost on the claim now the contender does not gain days if you recover the days lost, the contender now has the option  to continue  to contest the claim or surrender  and like I said mega companies are a very small fraction compared the amount of small companies we they could either bleed out resources or surrender that claim and I have been in a game alliance of 27k persons on eve online and its we cover a vast amount  of that universe but we dont hassle to keep what we dont need most of time it us trying to pick a fight when we take claim of someone else's region 

Edited by Fafnir

No I didn’t miss the point, I know exactly what your saying, I am still in disagreement with you. Why should I have to provide time and materials to keep what I already have, I log in each day and I’m active in the game. The claim system needs to address those who are not active and no longer in the game, if a company has 50 flags then that company has 50 flags, if they do nothing but gather resources when needed or own it to simply try and obtain status within the game then that’s on them and doesn’t affect me.  I didn’t make the game a competition to see who can obtain the most claims, to me that is a pvp system. I have enough problems gathering mats I need to build what I want without having to defend flags I already own and visit each day. 

I will have to take a family vacation and it’s possible that I won’t have internet during that time so for me to lose everything I’ve built because I’m not online to supply mats to a flag would be a game ending for me.  All you people are trying to figure out ways that would work for you because your already setup to do it. Gold, mats and friends. 

Well here is my 2 cents, change the game to a pay to play game, anyone who holds a subscription is entitled to 15 claims to use how they see fit. If they do nothing more then run behind a tree to take a piss then it’s their choice to do so. I paid for the game like every one else has and the claim system had no requirements other then to find something and set a flag down, now with patches and fairness the developers have made a protection rule stating that you have 14 days to sign on and defend your claim or it will be opened up for someone else to make it theirs, I myself feel this is fair as I wait patiently to see if I can obtain some more land which I’ll more then likely give away to someone else, however that is my choice to do so because I put in the effort to obtain the claim.  Now I’m not sure what happened to the 14 days the patch notes described and it became 20 but I frankly don’t care either, I’ve put my time in, I’ve paid for my game and I’ve dealt with the bugs, glitches and losses. I’ve earned the right to hold my claim as long as I’m active in the game without having a cost to do so.

• Like 2

So hold your chair and don't let go. Don't let any changes come, that may resolve issues. Despite this, that I've put many hours into this game, I wouldn't mind if it had to get wiped to get it fixed. Most games that I played, had end credits at the end, so I didn't get to keep anything. If I were you I'd enjoy while I can and be prepered for anything.

Edited by John Doe

My thought was that you had a small cost to "repair" the claim flag at some point during the timer to reset it. No fancy resources or anything just simple wood, fiber, thatch and hide. The more claims you have, the more work you're going to have to keep the claims up because you have to go visit each one to reset it. As far as maps goes, if you're having a problem with the maps, that's a personal problem. I'm solo and do fine and journeyman maps all the time.