delaigle

PVE Claim

37 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

Now with the new captain log that came out they want to revamp the claim system again, I’m sitting here worried I’m going to lose my base again that I’ve sank hundreds of hours into just because I have to go to work or take a week off to spend time with my family on a vacation. 

I think it'll be ok.  They say their intention is to help solos and small companies for one thing, and sure they may not design it right for that on the first go round,  BUT..the news that they're going to have a new test server to try things out first and give feedback is great.  So when the test server goes up, I know I'll be all over that like white on rice, and then back in here to tell them  what's wrong with it.

They've already set the timers, and that should cover vacations.  My main concern is making a claim cost.  I have a really hard time getting gold, and all the mats I can gather are going into building a base, so hopefully they'll realize solos can't manage all that upkeep.  I expect they'll set a claim limit, but it'll be a big one, probably.   We'll see.

If one claim would cost 500g weekly would not be a big deal even for solo with 5 claims. Don't say you can't make one more map to provide. I think even limitation would not do. It's PVE and if someone will occupy the spot for years without moving a finger then what sense would it has. Many games have payment for houses etc. and they are P2P. It's B2P for now and if it stays this way people will just reset timers to the end of the server.

2 minutes ago, John Doe said:

If one claim would cost 500g weekly would not be a big deal even for solo with 5 claims. Don't say you can't make one more map to provide. I think even limitation would not do. It's PVE and if someone will occupy the spot for years without moving a finger then what sense would it has. Many games have payment for houses etc. and they are P2P. It's B2P for now and if it stays this way people will just reset timers to the end of the server.

It would be a big deal for me.  I've never had 500g all in my pocket at one time since I started.  But then I don't  have a warship with guns for SOTD and nearly every treasure map I've tried to do has been bugged or above my solo capabilities.  Getting 500g every week to keep one claim would mean I'd have to stop building my base, repairing ridiculous nightly damage from alpha snakes, or sailing around looking for mats.  There are only so many hours in a day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

It would be a big deal for me.  I've never had 500g all in my pocket at one time since I started.  But then I don't  have a warship with guns for SOTD and nearly every treasure map I've tried to do has been bugged or above my solo capabilities.  Getting 500g every week to keep one claim would mean I'd have to stop building my base, repairing ridiculous nightly damage from alpha snakes, or sailing around looking for mats.  There are only so many hours in a day.

Well then if you can't PVE and it's only base building for you, get a friends who will earn this gold while you'll be building base. Or make your buildings from stone and save some time.

13 minutes ago, John Doe said:

I have ( let me look really quick) 400 hours on record with steam and if I took all the gold that my company owns they I may have 500 gold. For a solo player that is limited to the amount of time they can play 

getting treasure maps done isn’t as easy as one would think, keeping my tames alive has been more of a challenge then anything else thus far. I just got another elephant since my last one was killed by a alpha cobra and it’s not been two days and now it’s invisible inside my pen that I just rebuilt for the 5th time trying to make it cobra proof. Please don’t offer suggestions on how to build pens, I’ve tried everything. The region I’m in suffers from alphas, it’s like a bottle neck they all rotate through and the cobras are the worst.  I’ve moved my bears to different ships in hopes I don’t lose them that way but I try to keep larger tames in my pen since they are harder to come by. 

13 minutes ago, John Doe said:

Well then if you can't PVE and it's only base building for you, get a friends who will earn this gold while you'll be building base. Or make your buildings from stone and save some time.

John will you be my friend, you can gather the gold for me while I enjoy playing the game the way I want to play it, I’ll set up a box outside my base near a dock so you can just drop it off as your passing through, I’ll leave new maps there for you so you can traverse the seas and SOTD while I work on my ships and you take all the risk of sinking yours ? Pretty please with sugar on top ?

Edited by Daemon Cross
  • Haha 2

I can "pve", (whatever that is), and it's not only base building for me.   I spend a lot of time first thing every day killing the big pile of cobras that accumulate overnight.  My buildings are stone.  They eat the storage chests and really, anything else around that's not 100% stone.  I put up a sign saying "No Snakes Allowed" and they ate the sign.

To me, "pve" is whatever I want it to be that day - gathering mats on 2x, sailing around looking for stuff I don't have, goofing around with the neighbors, getting new skills and figuring out how they work.   Every hour or so I get interrupted by RL and go afk.    Gold hasn't been worth anything in the game so far, so I've not focused on it. 

So obviously "pve" is not the same for me as it is for you.  Not everybody plays the game the same way.

Gold is so easy to get its borderline broken. To give you an idea, last weekend I had about 8 maps clustered in one location ranging from 8.0 - 17.0 that took about 3 hours to do in my brig + bear and ended up with 20k ish gold. Another good revenue stream has been tames. With the recent x2 we had I tamed 4 Giraffs and a Rhino. Gave one Giraff away too some friends and sold the other 3 at 5k gold each, rhino went for 7.5k. I'm semi solo and this has all been done very casually. The real issue is we really don't have a huge amount off stuff too spend it on. 

Also its worth noting that tax applies to maps as well so these companies that own entire islands on multiple grids are getting a tonne of passive gold that could easily pay for a bunch of claims. 

So too sum up the only real fix for this cluster f**k of a system we have is to include ALL claims in the claim counter for a company instead off current system where its only the land claims in that grid. Also adjust the timers a little aswell, 50+ claims should not be tied to a 3 week timer. 1 - 20 2 weeks, 21 - 40 1 week ect. Mega-companies will bitch and whine but at least the game might actually be appealing to the other 80% who don't own land currently.

16 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Gold hasn't been worth anything in the game so far, so I've not focused on it. 

Agree, so I don't mind paying gold for claims, that I don't have currently. That would make gold value more. 

28 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

So obviously "pve" is not the same for me as it is for you.  Not everybody plays the game the same way.

I also play the game the way I want. If you satisfied only beacuse you have claims already, maybe think of others more and try to put yourself in position of someone who don't.

Maybe I could find some land now if I really had to, because with 4 days timer on lawless can't really make a break from game, but I'm waiting for the times when it'll not be that hard.

27 minutes ago, John Doe said:

Agree, so I don't mind paying gold for claims, that I don't have currently. That would make gold value more. 

I also play the game the way I want. If you satisfied only beacuse you have claims already, maybe think of others more and try to put yourself in position of someone who don't.

Maybe I could find some land now if I really had to, because with 4 days timer on lawless can't really make a break from game, but I'm waiting for the times when it'll not be that hard.

You assume a lot of strange things.  I'm not satisfied with claims the way they are now.  I only have one claim, and I only got that one recently.  I lived in Lawless until a couple weeks ago.  More than you, I do put myself in other people's positions.    The number of claims per person needs to be restricted, then you'll be able to find a claim.  

If you add gold cost to claims, it will make some people unhappy. 

People keep suggesting all kinds of crazy stuff to fix the claim problem, like making them cost a lot or doing away with fast travel.  There are ways to fix the claim problem without making anyone unhappy.  (Except the people who expected to grab 50 claims and keep them)  Any fix that annoys people when you don't need to annoy people would be pretty stupid.

6 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

People keep suggesting all kinds of crazy stuff to fix the claim problem, like making them cost a lot or doing away with fast travel.  There are ways to fix the claim problem without making anyone unhappy.  (Except the people who expected to grab 50 claims and keep them)  Any fix that annoys people when you don't need to annoy people would be pretty stupid.

This is the internet, people live to be annoyed and if some poor snowflake who grabbed 50 claims solo is about lose half off them I wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep over it. Same thing goes for these retarded mega companies that have taken multiple islands in several grids. You have to remember that vast majority of people do not have land and if they were able to get just 1 claim each they game would be much more enjoyable experience. However there are these elitist few that want EVERYTHING even at expense of anyone else.

I also only have a handful of claims clustered on beach of an island owned entirely by one group that pushed everyone else out. And despite their best efforts when I initially setup I'm still here, my tax is 10% and I'm a damn site more helpful to people entering our grid.

1 hour ago, John Doe said:

I think even limitation would not do. It's PVE and if someone will occupy the spot for years without moving a finger then what sense would it has. Many games have payment for houses etc. and they are P2P. It's B2P for now and if it stays this way people will just reset timers to the end of the server.

Well that kind of guys annoy me, but I will adapt to whatever it'll be.

John ? So is that I no on my offer ? Kinda thought I was about to get lucky !!!

I agree that the claim system needs work, I don’t know a simple answer to make everyone happy but it’s needs work without making it harder for solo players to keep playing 

• Haha 1

They need to types of flags. Primary which is limited to say 5 per account and secondary which is spam. The primary can have the 21 day protection but the secondary should be one day timers. Meaning they should either end up part of a permanent claim or change hands bc nobody will daily refresh unnecessary claims. IF these greedy land hoarders "need" the land bc of size then somebody will always be keeping it refreshed.

2 hours ago, LoneXS said:

Gold is so easy to get its borderline broken. To give you an idea, last weekend I had about 8 maps clustered in one location ranging from 8.0 - 17.0 that took about 3 hours to do in my brig + bear and ended up with 20k ish gold. Another good revenue stream has been tames. With the recent x2 we had I tamed 4 Giraffs and a Rhino. Gave one Giraff away too some friends and sold the other 3 at 5k gold each, rhino went for 7.5k. I'm semi solo and this has all been done very casually. The real issue is we really don't have a huge amount off stuff too spend it on. 

Also its worth noting that tax applies to maps as well so these companies that own entire islands on multiple grids are getting a tonne of passive gold that could easily pay for a bunch of claims. 

So too sum up the only real fix for this cluster f**k of a system we have is to include ALL claims in the claim counter for a company instead off current system where its only the land claims in that grid. Also adjust the timers a little aswell, 50+ claims should not be tied to a 3 week timer. 1 - 20 2 weeks, 21 - 40 1 week ect. Mega-companies will bitch and whine but at least the game might actually be appealing to the other 80% who don't own land currently.

Yet according to Jat, tames were never supposed to be a big part of this game.  For that reason, and because they're so freaking buggy people on my island can barely keep them alive and unstuck, I'm not working with them much.  It sounds like it's not gold that's borderline broken, but the whole system of requiring something that's not supposed to be a big part of the game, which is also buggy as hell.

Either bears are going to be the most important weapon in the game and they need to fix all that animal crap right away, or they've scaled the encounters badly for anyone not using them.

But in the end, this thread is about the claim system. So far there have been threads about how we have to kill fast travel to fix claims, use taming to fix claims, add pvp to the pve servers to fix claims... how much farther off track can it get?

The problem with claims (on pve) is that too many claims are held by too few people, and too many claims are held by people who no longer play, and that claims overlap and the flag timers might be buggy.  They can fix claims by fixing claims.  It doesn't need to be a spaghetti mess involving all the other systems to fix it.

26 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

But in the end, this thread is about the claim system. So far there have been threads about how we have to kill fast travel to fix claims, use taming to fix claims, add pvp to the pve servers to fix claims... how much farther off track can it get?

I mentioned most of that to provided evidence that a gold base claim system would be pointless. Taming was never the crux of my entire statement, but the ease in which you can obtain gold. Taming being one avenue.

To put bluntly, tieing gold to claims is most the retarded solution to this very broken system and that would only change if they heavily nerfed gold income.

33 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

The problem with claims (on pve) is that too many claims are held by too few people, and too many claims are held by people who no longer play, and that claims overlap and the flag timers might be buggy.  They can fix claims by fixing claims.  It doesn't need to be a spaghetti mess involving all the other systems to fix it.

Your absolutely correct but fear I that we'll be waiting a while before we see anything close to resembling a fix. If anything they are likely break it 3 - 5 more times before getting anything close to a fair system. Ofc they could just do the simple thing and cap claims but common sense is in scarce supply over at Grapeshot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

I think it'll be ok.  They say their intention is to help solos and small companies for one thing, and sure they may not design it right for that on the first go round,  BUT..the news that they're going to have a new test server to try things out first and give feedback is great.  So when the test server goes up, I know I'll be all over that like white on rice, and then back in here to tell them  what's wrong with it.

They've already set the timers, and that should cover vacations.  My main concern is making a claim cost.  I have a really hard time getting gold, and all the mats I can gather are going into building a base, so hopefully they'll realize solos can't manage all that upkeep.  I expect they'll set a claim limit, but it'll be a big one, probably.   We'll see.

solos can manage that once you are properly established ,a couple of treasure maps on 2x weekends and u are set with several thousand gold , 

hard when u are still building but once u have your fleet of ships and base built up , easy to go spending time doing other things

Edited by UDO
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, LoneXS said:

To put bluntly, tieing gold to claims is most the retarded solution to this very broken system and that would only change if they heavily nerfed gold income.

So let it be both limitation and gold upkeep. Gold will prevent people from doing nothing. To put only limitation, it will be still game exploit to only reset and waste space.

4 minutes ago, John Doe said:

So let it be both limitation and gold upkeep. Gold will prevent people from doing nothing. To put only limitation, it will be still game exploit to only reset and waste space.

What do you mean by doing nothing?

35 minutes ago, LoneXS said:

but the ease in which you can obtain gold. 

24 minutes ago, UDO said:

solos can manage that once you are properly established ,a couple of treasure maps on 2x weekends and u are set with several thousand gold ,

If all agree gold is easy to get, what's the problem?

22 minutes ago, UDO said:

hard when u are still building but once u have your fleet of ships and base built up , easy to go spending time doing other things

It doesn't fix anything, and there's no point in forcing solos and new players to have to do that.  

Q: What problem are you trying to solve?

A:  New people, solos and small companies have a hard time getting claims because other people grabbed too many.

So you limit claims and put a timer on them to get rid of people who have moved or quit.  This frees up claims for other people to take.

Q: Now what problem are you trying to solve?

A:  ???

If all agree gold is easy to get, what's the problem?

There are 2 problems.

I don't agree gold is easy to get.  

It's not necessary for fixing claims.  There's no reason to make people do weekly gold runs just to keep their claims when they'd maybe like to do something else instead.

• Like 1

I'm thinking it'll prevent freeloaders to keep up claims. In my opinion case would be solved, but you can always prove me wrong.

2 hours ago, John Doe said:

I prefer solo for now. Thanks for offer.

John I never said I wanted you to join my company or I would be willing to join yours, you merely stated to make some friends and have them gather gold for you. I was just checking to see if you would be willing to do what your suggesting someone else to do. I’m not complaining about not having gold nor have I complained about being solo, I am however stating that the system doesn’t need a gold or mat upkeep to keep claims. 

Simple solution is to make the claim holder physically visit each of his flags in each region at least once within a two week period. Those of us with 5 claims that’s not going to be a issue but those with 500 claims or 50 claims is going to get tired of logging in just to jump from bed to bed in order to hold claims. They will prioritize what they want to keep and let the others go

What is your definition of a freeloader, I think I may be one. Is it someone who can’t afford to pay a gold fee to maintain flags ? If so I am one and now I’m going to cry... thanks John

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

What is your definition of a freeloader, I think I may be one. Is it someone who can’t afford to pay a gold fee to maintain flags ? If so I am one and now I’m going to cry... thanks John

If it comes to that, I'll pay for your month upkeep. You'd have time to get on your feet.

• Like 1