Sign in to follow this  
WInslow

Whale collision distance

While zoning today from B13 to A13, I collided with a friendly whale right on the zone border. It was also tossing around SotD. I zoned technically on top of the whale and it did damage to *every* plank on board and it's tail managed to slap me away to relative safety. I managed to get out with about 2300 health on each plank.

I decided after repair to take some time to carefully test the collision distance since I had plenty of replacement planks and a resource box full for repairs.

I found the collision distance which puts you at a full stop when hitting the front of the ship at about 2 brigs length in front of the head and also about 2 brigs length distance from the tail, which caused a knockback effect. 

Now earlier today this almost sank me, because the whale was far to my port side and I was dealing with a SotD also shooting me while I was pinned. I managed to back up and sail away, replacing shattered planks and repairing and continuing on my way. 

I would recommend that collision with friendly whales be adjusted. Either allow for an immediate sail drop and speed to 0% (so we don't keep going forward into the obstacle) or have a knockback from the head. The damage could be adjusted but the damage is overall consistent with running into a stationary object like an iceberg or land. 

The other option is giving a battering ram on the front of the ship, which will take the majority of a forward impact and also do damage do it's target. It could have significant health and allow us to ram into SotD, ram in PVP, and ram into whales.