Hattrix

So, why should I move off of a lawless island?

I've carved out a beautiful little spot that holds all of my shipyards, has GREAT resources, no threats from the fauna, and easy access to a FoY.

Sure I'd LOVE to make a claim on my own spot, but why? What's the benefit?

5 hours ago, Hattrix said:

I've carved out a beautiful little spot that holds all of my shipyards, has GREAT resources, no threats from the fauna, and easy access to a FoY.

You shouldn't.  If you can find all the content you need on that island to enjoy the game, stay there.  But the fact that you're here asking that question suggests that perhaps you're not.  The way you've worded that question also suggest that you expect something from owning a claim.  A claim will give you nothing you don't already have.  I think the question you should ask yourself is not, what's the benefit, but what am I missing?

Atlas is not a game that will entertain you. It's a toy that you have to play with to entertain yourself.  You create the real content. The game only facilitates that.  The best content, is the content created when interacting with others. 

So, the real question is, who would you meet, what interactions would you have, what content would be created if you suddenly decided to load up your ship and sail off into the sunset in search of that elusive claim?

In games like Atlas, it's not about the destination. It's about the journey.

Edited by Jean Lafitte
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hattrix said:

It's absurdly easy to foundation wipe anyone on lawless.

Anyone can rock up ANYWHERE on a lawless island, place a mortar  and just  obliterate you  while  you  sleep without  having to take  a claim, personally I  wouldn't  even consider living  in  lawless

6 minutes ago, LongDongSilver said:

Anyone can rock up ANYWHERE on a lawless island, place a mortar  and just  obliterate you  while  you  sleep.

That is the exact reason why the population is dying and it all comes back to the ridiculous land claim system.

1 minute ago, Rats said:

That is the exact reason why the population is dying and it all comes back to the ridiculous land claim system.

The land  claim system protects  you from  this  happening,  not  sure  why  it  would  kill off  the population,  unless  of  course  your stuck  in lawless  with  nowhere  to  go, in  which  case  you  just need somebody that  has  surplus land  available.

On a  side  note, if  anyone  is  looking  for land on  EU  PVP  drop me  a PM  I can fix  you  up

Because you never know what these devs will do, maybe they want to remove everyone from the lawless since there is enough land available now so they just decide to make the decay timer run out even though you are online 😉 

7 hours ago, Hattrix said:

Dont move to the claim islands ! You will draw attention there and 1000 chinese will swarm you.

The best form of defence is anonymity. A small, half broken raided base in lawless a better shield than triple honeycomb stone walls.

I have several small bases in lawless area that haven't been raided and have been there since the 2nd week of launch. Yes it is extremely easy to wipe someone form lawless but at same time its not really that hard to do it on claimed land either with a bear / horse with cannon and a ship.I think in my opinion lawless islands would be even better if the companies would just ally up and form a pact to defend each others stuff. Would make for a better experience overall for those people that live there but then again that's just my opinion. 

Edited by labatts

Kind of obvious that having land in claimed territory is better than lawless zone...

BUT, if you found a nice place in those lawless islands, and nobody is bothering you, stay there, at least, until Dev's fix the claim system and limit those number of flags a player can have. Even better, move around 3 or 4 lawless islands, trying to found several resources and you can have a couple of beds to respawn in case you dead.

4 hours ago, Rats said:

It seems likely this is one of several reasons why the population is dying and it all comes back to the ridiculous land claim system.

Fixed.

11 hours ago, Grandmastersexy said:

You're easier to raid on lawless.

Not really.

Cannon-bear = game over

Mortar with OP range over 7 claim flags. Firing from the ground to the top of Mount Everest = game over

Muhaha-LOL 150-guns-front-oneshot-galleon = game over for all coastal bases

Edited by Talono

19 hours ago, Tenebrion said:

It's absurdly easy to foundation wipe anyone on lawless.

????!!!!!?????

How?  I'm on PVE .... you can't damage other people's structures unless they haven't logged in within 4 days. Once that 4 day timer is up, the buildings are able to be demolished.

14 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Fixed.

No it isn't because most islands are empty except for a few hundred flags on them with beds everywhere. 

Slash the amount of flags allowed per company and the amount of beds, each player should only be able to have two beds, one on a ship and one on land.

Edited by Rats
  • Confused 1

Claim Protection, Taxes, a false sense of authority. There's plenty of reasons 😉

33 minutes ago, Rats said:

No it isn't because most islands are empty except for a few hundred flags on them with beds everywhere. 

Slash the amount of flags allowed per company and the amount of beds, each player should only be able to have two beds, one on a ship and one on land.

You misunderstood my post. Go back and look at it again. I wasn’t saying the problem was fixed. I altered your statement to make it more accurate.

I would suggest devs do all that flags and claim system in PVP servers. While PvE... not sure if ppl needs there territorial disputes between eachother. There must be some different ways to establish your base there and do all PvE stuff. And it must be more like lawless now (with all foundation spamming and other problems resolved).

IMAO

Edited by George Catcher

4 hours ago, Hattrix said:

????!!!!!?????

How?  I'm on PVE .... you can't damage other people's structures unless they haven't logged in within 4 days. Once that 4 day timer is up, the buildings are able to be demolished.

Oh, sorry. I thought you were playing on a real server. Disregard.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tenebrion said:

I enjoy playing Atlas. 

4 hours ago, Tenebrion said:

A real server ? You mean those full of cheaters, and those grievers that like to raid bases at night ? Yeah definitively the real servers for sure. 

6 hours ago, Tenebrion said:

We also thought you were interested in fair minded open discussion of the entire game, not a narrow minded view that considers a game mode that is present in nearly every MMO on the market to be dismissed out of hand. Disregard our mistake in thinking you could be reasoned with.

Also if you're not interested in including PVE considerations in your discussions, the proper place for you to spend your forum time is in the pvp section. This is general discussion, which by definition means all game modes are valid considerations here. It is your point of view that is out of place here, not his.

Thank you, BOOMER and others, for having my back. 

I play with 2 to 3 other people on pve na and we pretty much know that finding a nice tropical spot to claim is impossible, so we're expanding our lawless bases. We weren't sure if we're missing out on some aspect of the game because we don't have a claim. 

BTW... It's fun to see the lawless 4 day timers expire... That's our cue to plunder and we don't have to leave our own beaches sometimes! 

Edited by Hattrix
  • Like 1