Sign in to follow this  
Iaxa DeVaux

Too many derelict ships, Pack Up option

Pack up option...

Derelict ships are everywhere, but we can't just delete them.

A ship can be a real investment in time. Not just to build but in anything added to it or stored on/in it, even its skill levels. Anyone having a ship deleted is almost surely never coming back after that loss.

So, we need an option on the ship menu to "Pack Up". Pack Up happens once you are away or do not stand on the deck for 21 days, or you click the option on the ship menu. This turns the ship in its current state... the ship and everything in or on it... into a token that's placed in your inventory. That token can be place into a shipyard and returned at a later date into that same ship.

So, if someone is leaving for vacation and wants to protect their ship, they have a way. If someone just leaves the game, we don't need to see or deal with their ships they left behind.

You may need to add some restrictions as to not let this be used to transport goods or other work arounds. Like this token cannot be transported by ship and takes 24 hours in a shipyard to return to the state of a ship.

We also need to look at the same issue of derelict shipyards. Almost the same, just auto Pack Up any not used to build a ship for 21 days and return it the owners inventory.

No, it's a terrible idea. If anything, it should be a mod and kept off official servers. Playing the game on official requires a serious time commitment. Do we need some sort of fix for all the abandoned ships? Yes, we do. Do we need a magical way to shrink our ship to pocket size to move it somewhere? No, we don't! They already move, that's why they have sails.

Yes holidays are an issue, but work something out with a friend or tribe mate you trust. Otherwise, there are always unofficial servers out there

Something i would like to see that may not be what you talk about (sorry if i derail) is to make a blueprint of a finished ship so you can build a copy of that specific design from the start at the shipyard.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2019 at 3:09 AM, CamsterAu said:

No, it's a terrible idea. If anything, it should be a mod and kept off official servers. Playing the game on official requires a serious time commitment. Do we need some sort of fix for all the abandoned ships? Yes, we do. Do we need a magical way to shrink our ship to pocket size to move it somewhere? No, we don't! They already move, that's why they have sails.

Yes holidays are an issue, but work something out with a friend or tribe mate you trust. Otherwise, there are always unofficial servers out there

I like the idea of abandoned ships turning into a "token" in the inventory of the creator after a certain period of time (like the 4 day demolish timer in lawless). So then the littering of islands with abandoned ships is solved, but the ship owner get a chance to respawn it if/when they log in in the future (with significant penalties or stress so it's not "easy" to reclaim your abandoned ship.

• Like 1

I would vote for a storage hangar to keep ships in safe, maybe in a freeport ?

Takes pressure from the servers and solves the every day troll 3-broadsides-offline-sinking issue as well.

Thats the Eve Online model, works out very well there.

• Like 1

I would support the token idea under one condition...  The total, cumulative weight of all parts of the ship plus all the cargo currently stored on the ship at time of token-creation is how much the token weighs.

So if the cargo totaled up to 18k and the ship's parts all totaled up to 3600, then the token itself would weigh almost 22k.  This would prevent a lot of the concerns of transporting ships and massive amounts of goods without worry that they would be in any danger.  You could easily risk sinking a galleon with a single token.

Of course this also creates the issue of giving griefers more methods of being pricks, but I'm sure there's ways to deal with that that I'm not creative enough to figure out.

I don’t know if this is technically possible in the game engine.

ARK could only save the saddle on the Dino, nothing in the inventory. Just think about all the parts on a ship and their individual placement. Maybe if they were like LEGO blocks, but I don’t believe it could (easily) be done.

That being said, if anybody does manage to make this work, they have to call it “Ship in a Bottle.”

Side note:  I think that unfortunately this would create too many exploits on official, unless a lot of severe restrictions were put in place on it. Climbing pick into somebody else’s base, drop a sloop full of cannons with additional crew, a small team could do a lot of damage to a base from the inside.

What a ridiculous idea, sorry.

The devs are (maybe) smart enough to run a timer and countdown offline players, just like in lawless, just do it. No different than anything else if your not in render range then it starts to countdown.

Tick tock.

Storage hangar in freeport makes some sense.  Putting it into a person's individual inventory not so much.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 5:09 PM, CamsterAu said:

Well, as far as your "requires a serious time commitment". maybe you need a bigger picture view in a game that's already lost 75% of the people it started with. Leaving only your comment "Do we need a magical way to shrink our ship to pocket size to move it somewhere? No, we don't!". I take it you didn't read the post before you left a reply. I commented on restrictions.

17 hours ago, Talono said:

I would vote for a storage hangar to keep ships in safe, maybe in a freeport ?

Takes pressure from the servers and solves the every day troll 3-broadsides-offline-sinking issue as well.

Thats the Eve Online model, works out very well there. 

That's a good idea about storage hangers. And if they did a forced pack up like I was suggesting, maybe you could recall your ship at the free port and not use a token at all.

16 hours ago, CazzT said:

I would support the token idea under one condition...  The total, cumulative weight of all parts of the ship plus all the cargo currently stored on the ship at time of token-creation is how much the token weighs.

So if the cargo totaled up to 18k and the ship's parts all totaled up to 3600, then the token itself would weigh almost 22k.  This would prevent a lot of the concerns of transporting ships and massive amounts of goods without worry that they would be in any danger.  You could easily risk sinking a galleon with a single token.

Of course this also creates the issue of giving griefers more methods of being pricks, but I'm sure there's ways to deal with that that I'm not creative enough to figure out.

Yes, or just like I was saying... not let it be transported by a ship at all. By rule and not by weight. If it were to weigh 22k, it could not be moved from that point ever, in any way.

You can buy a seaworthy raft, sloop, or schooner already. Why can't the abandoned ship's type be "bought" again using a special token? You lose everything on the ship so you'd better make sure you don't abandon it. Tokens can only be redeemed and the ship spawned at the Freeport area.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Spawn your ship back and abandon it again? Timer is cut in half and will require an extra gold payment to the shipmaster to spawn it again. The abandon time gets shorter and penalty to respawn gets steeper and steeper (repeat offenders beware)

Again, this is about clearing up abandoned ships......IMHO, all ships should have the same demolish timer as structures and these derelict ships would already be gone.

Edited by Hattrix

4 hours ago, Iaxa DeVaux said:

Yes, or just like I was saying... not let it be transported by a ship at all. By rule and not by weight. If it were to weigh 22k, it could not be moved from that point ever, in any way.

As things currently stand, it could be moved.  Unlike in ARK, where if you go too far above your max weight you're rooted in place, we can still move even with over 100k weight on us.  I know this because I've done it (moving a base on an island... that was a fun 3 hour trip to move a short 5 minute run down the beach lol).  That's why I suggested the token having weight.  And it would still allow for ship transport, but at a large risk.