Jerrimiah

Devs please reconsider breeding timers

So after reading the patch notes for 18.87, specifically:

- Baby creatures will no longer take into account the temperature alterations from coldfront and heatwave

I thought I would give breeding another attempt.

After discovering that the patch did not take this into account, yes the baby is still affected by heatwave and coldfront, I also discovered that the timers for the various stages were ridiculous.

1. Maturation - 4 hours
2. Juvenile to imprint - 8 hours
3. Juvenile to second imprint - 8 hours

Didn't get past the second imprint so no idea if there was another after this.

The times for these various stages are too long. Devs please reconsider these times, at the minimum they should be half of what they currently are.

• Like 4

Oh yes.. There are more.. start to finish figure it will take 48 hours 2 days total.  But you have not addressed the offline for more that 20 mins they die. 

4 hours ago, Eta Hywkes said:

But you have not addressed the offline for more that 20 mins they die. 

Yeah I was aware of that, I did not leave the base for the entire duration while trying to raise the baby.

The breeding time is annoying. How should a person, who go to work all day breed an animal? 

Even when I wanna breed on weekends means: coming home Friday night, sad and broke of working. I should breed an animal and take 8h time, until the baby eats on its own. When I don't fall asleep, I could get a chance, that the breed is growed up until Sunday night...

This is way too much work for a solo player or small tribe. 

Why can't you decrase the time it needs by 50%? So all the people can try to breed on weekends and still get drunk too? 😜

• Like 2

I Have bred my first 3 bears 🙂  imprinting is 20% so there are 5 imprints 1 ever 8 hours 

Now that the temps have been fixed....  (and they have i have tested it)  the problem is food,  I can deal with 40 hours to breed,

i can even deal with the long time it takes to get to 10%  

I can even deal with logging in every 8 hours to imprint 

But what needs to be fixed is the FOOD....  The trough holds 20 meat in 1 stack,  so 20 x 40 mins so in theory it will last 13 hours,

But in reality A FULL trough of 20 meat per stack last maybe 3.5 hours...  The easiest way To fix this problem is to increase stack size to 40.

40 meat would allow  at least 7 hours between full and empty  and that is about an hour before imprint to sort your self and food for the next 7 hours,  

actually the real shit is to allow food to get stacked and pause timer on multiple of them ...or better yet Put a Hard quantity cap on them such as for example 10,000 quantity but Allow unlimited stacking... so you could have 5,000 Of one type of meat and 5,000 of one type of berry and you are locked out and thus greatly extend the timer of the food and now you can store actual food to last.   This is pretty easy to do.  im sure they can do it.  Its not rocket science... for those who are devs Loop de loop is your best friend.  

I have yet to try breeding since the temp fix. The server I am currently on has 5x taming which also applies to breeding on the server afaik so will have to give it a whirl this weekend, I had tried before on official and gave up after so many dead babies. I agree on the food stacking. I load larders/troughs up every day and lose 60% of it within 24 hours due to the stacks spoiling. I restack it before I logout and after I first login and ask others to do the same but the few of us all play around the same time so most of it just goes to decay. I mean I would even be ok with needing to stick preserving salt into the larder to get a bonus to decay. Meat stacks really need to be increased. I can't take more than a 2 day break without logging in to refill them (well I could the hunger on them lasts for a bit but then I would have to refill the larder twice when I get back just to makeup for all the food they need to eat.

6 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

The breeding time is annoying. How should a person, who go to work all day breed an animal? 

Even when I wanna breed on weekends means: coming home Friday night, sad and broke of working. I should breed an animal and take 8h time, until the baby eats on its own. When I don't fall asleep, I could get a chance, that the breed is growed up until Sunday night...

Why can't you decrase the time it needs by 50%? So all the people can try to breed on weekends and still get drunk too? 😜

The way I see it they should do one of two things: either dramatically reduce the time involved for the whole process or reduce the amount of time the player has to be involved in the process. I'll take either one, but I'm not skipping out on sleep for an entire weekend to take a shot at this, especially given how easily tames die in this game. It's not worth it. 

Oh and 50% reduction wouldn't be enough, it's got to be reduced down to less than an hour. On average I lose at least 1 tame a day to glitches or simply being overwhelmed by hordes of aggro predators or killed by alphas. If these devs think I'm gonna spend more than an hour acquiring a replacement they're out of their damn minds. 

58 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

Oh and 50% reduction wouldn't be enough, it's got to be reduced down to less than an hour.

Less than an hour is to extreme In the other direction. By reducing 50% of time it would be able to feed the babys by through after 2h. If u get a organized breeding-area that should work then if there's enough food. 

I mean after 2h of intense breeding stuff to do, the game should give u the possibilities to rest or even sleep for 8h. It's also a question about humanity 🤔

Otherwise a single player can never breed without holidays or doing drugs to stay awake 😧🙈

Edited by Forb Hidden

I don't know where are you playing guys, but the main issue on official is that if there's no player in render range growing bears do not consume food at all. If you have a problem with spoiling food try berries, wheat, turnip, potatoes... I don't mind maturation time as long as they eat on their own while they supposed to. If this can't be fixed right now, maybe try temporary solution and decrease maturation time 50% so it's at least doable. Check this topic out and vote if u care. 

49 minutes ago, Forb Hidden said:

Less than an hour is to extreme In the other direction. By reducing 50% of time it would be able to feed the babys by through after 2h. If u get a organized breeding-area that should work then if there's enough food. 

I mean after 2h of intense breeding stuff to do, the game should give u the possibilities to rest or even sleep for 8h. It's also a question about humanity 🤔

Otherwise a single player can never breed without holidays or doing drugs to stay awake 😧🙈

If you have 24 hours to devote to imaginary baby animals that are probably gonna die to some glitch or alpha or aggro predator horde that's fantastic for you. I don't and wouldn't even if I did. Even at 50%, it's a ridiculous expectation. 

43 minutes ago, globytheoldpirate said:

Breeding isn't meant to be done alone.
With a company, you can easily relay with other, and still have a life

You've gotta love these absurd posts. "Behold, the immutable Will of the Holy Developers, for I am their Prophet! Thus it is written and thus it forever shall be!" Do yourself a favor and stop deifying the developers or pretending something can't be changed just because it happens to work for you. What a joke.

Practically every aspect of the game can be changed if popular opinion supports it. The devs are human and they make mistakes. And this obnoxious breeding system is a mistake IMO. Now my opinion might not be in the majority but I'm clearly not the only one that thinks it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Doe said:

I don't know where are you playing guys, but the main issue on official is that if there's no player in render range growing bears do not consume food at all. If you have a problem with spoiling food try berries, wheat, turnip, potatoes... I don't mind maturation time as long as they eat on their own while they supposed to. If this can't be fixed right now, maybe try temporary solution and decrease maturation time 50% so it's at least doable. Check this topic out and vote if u care. 

1. I dont think stasis always effects feeding. I think it's a bug. We tested it and our bear kept eating with no issue.

2. You seem unaware that you cant feed babies berries/turnips/and potatoes.

14 minutes ago, Nari said:

1. I dont think stasis always effects feeding. I think it's a bug. We tested it and our bear kept eating with no issue.

1. Maybe you are right, i'm not an expert. What I know is many people have this problem and my 2 tries ended up with all bears dying from starvation same second with fully stacked throughs. It's good to have this problem in one topic tho

2. I feed baby bears with Lingon Berry and Arctic Raspberry. After they are juvenile they eat berries in the first place, so not really sure the others. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John Doe said:

2. I feed baby bears with Lingon Berry and Arctic Raspberry. After they are juvenile they eat berries in the first place, so not really sure the others. 

Interesting, I'll try again then. It certainly didn't work when I tested it the first time.

30 minutes ago, Nari said:

..I think you should tell that to the baby bear I'm currently sitting.   

I can feed it a variety, what it 'chooses is another... but I've watched as it chose meat, and when meat was not available... berries

2 hours ago, globytheoldpirate said:

Breeding isn't meant to be done alone.
With a company, you can easily relay with other, and still have a life

My cat had kittens. Me, my mom, my dad, my wife, my 2 kids, my 4 neighbors, 8 cousins and the garbage man all had to take a week off work and school so they didn't die and we could all still have a life.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to milk a cat????

very realistic game.

• Haha 2

Current Version: v18.9

- Fixed an issue with babies not eating from inventory/troughs when in stasis.
- Fixed a bug with Alpha creatures.

Saved

7 hours ago, Thor Ragnarock said:

I have yet to try breeding since the temp fix. The server I am currently on has 5x taming which also applies to breeding on the server afaik so will have to give it a whirl this weekend, I had tried before on official and gave up after so many dead babies. I agree on the food stacking. I load larders/troughs up every day and lose 60% of it within 24 hours due to the stacks spoiling. I restack it before I logout and after I first login and ask others to do the same but the few of us all play around the same time so most of it just goes to decay. I mean I would even be ok with needing to stick preserving salt into the larder to get a bonus to decay. Meat stacks really need to be increased. I can't take more than a 2 day break without logging in to refill them (well I could the hunger on them lasts for a bit but then I would have to refill the larder twice when I get back just to makeup for all the food they need to eat.

What about if they just change up the feeding trough to be like the resource chest/bank style of 1 bigass stack per item?

Would solve the problem of the majority of the food in the trough spoiling, and I would think that it would help server overhead since it wouldn't have to track 50+ stacks of decay for each persons trough. Same thing with preserving bags, larders, grills, etc.

It would even be a nice mechanic to change over all crafting stations to that style as well. Would make it so some of the legendary/mythic items like the shipyard would be craftable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

What about if they just change up the feeding trough to be like the resource chest/bank style of 1 bigass stack per item?

I think some unofficials have it already and it would be too easy on official. Berries have decay timer at least 2 days and you don't need to leave babies for longer than that, especially if you want to imprint them.  Decay timer on wheat etc which all my tames eat is very long.

4 hours ago, Warspectre said:

You've gotta love these absurd posts. "Behold, the immutable Will of the Holy Developers, for I am their Prophet! Thus it is written and thus it forever shall be!" Do yourself a favor and stop deifying the developers or pretending something can't be changed just because it happens to work for you. What a joke.

Practically every aspect of the game can be changed if popular opinion supports it. The devs are human and they make mistakes. And this obnoxious breeding system is a mistake IMO. Now my opinion might not be in the majority but I'm clearly not the only one that thinks it. 

I didn't say it can't be changed. I say that breeding isn't really hard, easier than Ark actually (except for temperature, but they changed it).
Imo, your comment is as absurd as people saying "Alpha Overseer should be easy douable in solo".
These things is for company, it's actually end game, it is game content/feature that is made for people that play in group, it's a challenge.

3 hours ago, Jean Lafitte said:

very realistic game.

As realistic as instant death eating poop, or breeding in 2 days, taming animals, etc etc 🙂

No, what you said was "Breeding is not meant to be done alone"...  plain and simple.    Barring a direct quote from a dev, you're talking out of your arse.

Taking into consideration this is EA, we don't know how difficult or annoying it is 'meant' to be.    

You have a counter argument to OP, great....voice it, but put some though and effort into beyond the pedantic BS.

14 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

Just like Arkh just not as brutal 

11 hours ago, war machine said:

Now that the temps have been fixed....  (and they have i have tested it)  the problem is food,  I can deal with 40 hours to breed,

Sorry to tell you but the temperature thing has not been fixed. I watched my baby bear die from a cold snap while I sat there in a room full of grills trying to keep it warm.