Archsenex

Last Night's optimizations seem to have included a render reduction range on SOTD

Anybody else getting this?  When I'm going full speed in my Transport Galleon, I am Ramming them before I see them in... WAY too many instances, and they appear to vanish behind me at about half the range they used to

It´s been so for quite a while. Including player structures. The issue is that to fix performance they seem to have limited the servers ability to transmit data.

4 minutes ago, Shintai said:

It´s been so for quite a while. Including player structures. The issue is that to fix performance they seem to have limited the servers ability to transmit data.

yeah, but it seems like they've pushed it into overdrive.  I've spun around three like tops this morning...

i have it since last patch , think it isnt good if u see sods first when it can shot.

option everything on max 

@Jatheish @Dollie  This needs to be looked at quickly.  Ships, whales, and SoTDs are NOT rendering until they are right on top of ships...I've HIT several ships as they are rendering in.

Happened twice on my transport brig today.  Once while traveling through fog (which should cut render distance some) and once in open sea during the middle of a sunny day.  Both times SoD appeared and let loose a full broadside into my hull in the same second. 

Yeah.  It's not a problem on a galleon (it's actually kinda fun) but won't Schooner's basically turn into bugs on windshields?

Happens to me aswell lately. Before i could see them in okayish distance but now they spawn 3-4 brig lenghts infront or sides. Kinda meh

Must be low graphics settings or something there, they are not as far a way rendering as I would like,  but no where near running into them or anything, always had plenty of time to react.

I noticed that.

It feels that render distance reduced at least twice as before (maybe even three times less). Right now it's real torture. I hunt a SotD, I kite him to do emergency repairs and when back to steering wheel, SotD I was fighting just gone... It took me for about 10-15 minutes of insane circles to find him again (or it would be a waste of ammo I sent to his corpse before start kiting).

And yeah. While I was on my way to FoY today with my fast Schooner I did a screenshot. Here it is:

FxNR4XG.jpg

I made it just a second after SotD appeared. So here is how it's render distance looks like now. I felt the old distance was way to little for me, and right now - it's just insane. I never aggro that much of SotDs on my cruise sailings. 

(I know I can outrun them but... well... why do I need an extra random damage to my vessel from suddenly appeared SotD running towards me?)

Edited by George Catcher

1 hour ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Must be low graphics settings or something there, they are not as far a way rendering as I would like,  but no where near running into them or anything, always had plenty of time to react.

Give it time it will happen.

And low graphic settings do not cause this, I have mine maxed and we still rammed two yesterday

2 hours ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Graphics settings has NOTHING to do with this.  It's a change as of last night's patch.  The SoTDs are rendering and then disappearing BETWEEN volleys of normal cannons...they're blipping in and out that close to my ship right now.  One second I'm fighting it, the next it's gone...then back.

signed, got the same issue with almost max settings and it is really annoying with the galleon.

please give a seperate option for it or set it back to the former sight range.

Yeah, I've spent the day sailing, on a Galleon at least the render range is now less than the aggro range.  They will fire at you before you can see them.  You can still outrun them but you have no chance to try and avoid actively.

@Jatheish @Dollie 

Same issue here.  Luckily I have just been exploring on a sloop lately, so they usually don't aggro before I can turn away.

I agree. Everyone one I've run across fires on me because I don't have enough time to avoid them. Never had that problem before. Is there any in game setting that can help ?

Please fix this quick.

Yes, the rendering distance in geneal has been terrible since the latest big patch.

When i approach an island, i have to full stop for a minute for all the shipyards to load etc..

Its terrible.

Just now, gumbyc said:

I agree. Everyone one I've run across fires on me because I don't have enough time to avoid them. Never had that problem before. Is there any in game setting that can help ?

Please fix this quick.

Afraid not, it's server side.

1 minute ago, Abra said:

Yes, the rendering distance in geneal has been terrible since the latest big patch.

When i approach an island, i have to full stop for a minute for all the shipyards to load etc..

Its terrible.

I can deal with islands requiring a stop to load in, but SOTD you don't have a choice

If that is seriously their way to optimize the game that is a very terrible way to go about it. I was hoping they would slowly keep increasing the render distance on ships and buildings... In this day and age you shouldn't be shrinking it. I should be able to be out sailing at sea and be able to see someones huge fort on land well before I get within range of it. I shouldn't be taking fire from it to finally have it load in. If they seriously can't figure out a way to have stuff load in at distance that is going to suck. Even sailing into my own harbor which I know where stuff is loads in last second. I don't understand how there can be that much strain on the server from letting a player see an object at distance. Perhaps its due to the fact each object has so many variables involved and a big base has tons of objects pushing all of these variables causes strain? Could just load the object location at far distance. If you spy glass it could push the viewed walls info. Once within range to fire upon them or just before you could push health info to see the walls color since they get darker as they get damaged then push timers and stuff only if you are viewing with a spyglass or actually next to it viewing the wall in person. Of course I don't know how they are pushing this info maybe they are already doing that to some degree. Maybe there is a way to offload some of this strain to the client. I hope its something they can figure out shrinking render distance in a big mmo is not a step in the right direction.

They are still rendering fine for me, and definitely way before aggro. You are having a PC issue with settings or something.

I believe this would easily be balanced if they decreased the number of SODs in a sector by half or more. That way even if they render in a couple of ships length away you shouldn’t be fighting 3-6 at a time.