Sign in to follow this  
Jean Lafitte

PVE Ship Spam - Excessive

Ok, so the situation went from bad to worse.

• First, there were ships being sunk everywhere due to griefers.  That needed to be fixed.  I get that. However, the net result of that fix has backfired.
  • Over the weekend I went with some others to the FoY.  They were able to get it, I was not.  One of the HUGE reasons I wasn't was lag.  That lag was caused by the hundreds... yes HUNDREDS (I'm not exaggerating) of ships parked around the FoY entrance.  Now I don't have a great video card, I've got a good one.  Trying to render all of those ships, I was barely getting 5fps.
  • For over two weeks I had an abandoned schooner parked in my harbor blocking a good portion of it.  It took a support ticket to get it moved.
  • I still have several RSloops and rafts parked along my claims. One RSloop belongs to a company that has 0 members (we invited them to the corp and didn't 'merge').
  • Travelling around the map I've encountered numerous lawless islands that look more like a ship salvage yard than a collection of harbors.

These ships cannot be moved, sunk, boarded, SotD'd, hurricane'd, shark smacked... etc.
They are more that just an eyesore. They are a render and server lag inducing mechanism that needs to be fixed.

Proposal:

• If your ship is parked on your claim, it does not decay as per current rules.
  • Freeport decay rates begin 2 hours after arriving in a freeport grid. That gives you 2 hours to conduct your business.
  • If your ship is parked on a claim you do not own after 72 hours, it begins to decay at freeport rates. 
  • For each ship parked on a claim you do not own, the decay timer is is divided by 2. 4 ships on a claim you do not own, decay begins in 9 hours (making raft spam much less of a problem).
  • If your ship is parked where no claim exists and you have not been in the area, after 72 hours it begins to decay at freeport rates.
  • For each ship parked where no claim exists, the decay timer is is divided by 2. 4 ships on a claim you do not own, decay begins in 9 hours (making raft spam much less of a problem).
  • If your ship is parked on a lawless and you have not been in the area, the same with structures, it begins to decay after 3 or 4 days (not sure what the structure time is on lawless) at freeport rates.
  • If your company has build rights on a claim, it does not decay as per current rules.
  • Ships that exist on a claim when the ownership of that claim changes, after 72 hours they begin to decay at freeport rates.

Alternate:

• Instead of accelerating the decay, the ships become unanchored and thus, sinkable or claimable.

Whatever the solution, something needs to be done to fix this.  The number of anchored ships that do not go away is becoming untenable.

• Like 6

They tried a fix, it... went a little wild (deleted WAY too many ships, they had to roll back) they're supposed to be working on attempt #2, so they do have something in the works for getting rid of inactive ships

2 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

They tried a fix, it... went a little wild (deleted WAY too many ships, they had to roll back) they're supposed to be working on attempt #2, so they do have something in the works for getting rid of inactive ships

<- * impatiently twiddles his thumbs *

Yup, first attempt was to "destroy" ships that weren't moved for longer then 2 weeks I think? Ended up deleting half the server ships and doing a rollback. They said they will get back to this once they are certain it will not cause problems (it's been a while now..)

One thing they could do is make PVE abandoned ships claimable so we can scuttle or move or put them to use. We can claim ships that are abandoned in our territory but anything above a raft is a bit wonky. I claimed an abandoned sloop but all I can do with it is raise/lower the anchor. Rafts I could scuttle at least to get them out of the way. 

I think Jean's suggestions are spot on. For all the graphical optimizations that has been done, abandoned ships are one of the biggest framerate killers. 

As an addition, I would implement something with Golden Age ruins having a straight freeport-style decay timer, else if it fell under the 72 hr rule, people could just fast travel back and forth to reset it.

But, please, for the love of all that is floaty and wood, can we get the ability to anchor in deeper waters? Possibly just being able to anchor within x distance from the shoreline, regardless of depth. Anything bigger than a schooner can't be anchored on most of my claim, because of it going from 3' deep to the abyss at a 80 degree slope.

13 hours ago, Ankhwearer said:

This should be posted in the PVE forum, not General Discussions. 

This.

And i have faith in the developer that they come up with a good solution for this, and they will.

OP proposal is not good. He is to much into protecting his area.

People can have inland claims without beach/water claims. How does it play out for them?

Make it worthwhile for people to remove ships they have abandoned and things would resolve itself.

I am SO waiting for a fix for this. There are so many ships around my base that haven't moved in weeks. Traveling I have seen the same ships at different isles in the same positions, haven't been touched in weeks as well.

You cant run decay on people within "enemy" claim. Renters are technically in enemy claim for example.

2 hours ago, Kummba said:

This.

And i have faith in the developer that they come up with a good solution for this, and they will.

OP proposal is not good. He is to much into protecting his area.

People can have inland claims without beach/water claims. How does it play out for them?

If not wanting a pile of ships in my harbor that don't belong to me is 'protecting my area,' then yes, that's me.

Inland claims without beach or water claims?  I suggest you make friends with your neighbors and get build rights on a water claim.  Otherwise, you're likely pissing them off by leaving your ships on their claim.

1 hour ago, Jean Lafitte said:

If not wanting a pile of ships in my harbor that don't belong to me is 'protecting my area,' then yes, that's me.

Inland claims without beach or water claims?  I suggest you make friends with your neighbors and get build rights on a water claim.  Otherwise, you're likely pissing them off by leaving your ships on their claim. 

Pissing people off by letting my ship in their claim, then yes thats me 🙂

But mostly for a short time, and i try not to block anyone. And as the whole islands are claimed i am not able to anchor in an unclaimed area. I travell alot for treasur and finding all the resource types. There are islands with barely any beach, and this beach areas are often overbuild by the people living there. Visitors have to anchor there too.

Residents should think about visitors when designing the harbour.

I suggest you to respect other playstyles then yours.

Happy settling

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kummba said:

Residents should think about visitors when designing the harbour.

I suggest you to respect other playstyles then yours.

And, I'd suggest you do the same.  You should think about the claim owner when parking your ships because you're not talking about a visitor who's going to be there a few hours. You're talking about resident parking.

The harbor in our main base is pretty small.  We barely have room for our own ships and often have to make room when someone comes to visit. On other claims we have plenty of room for ship parking.  If someone who lived inland were to come to me and ask to park a ship, I'd gladly open a claim, show them where to park and let them build their own pier and boathouse.  If someone just parked their ships on one of our claims without asking, I'd be looking for a way to get rid of them, which is exactly what this post is all about.

1 minute ago, Jean Lafitte said:

If someone just parked their ships on one of our claims without asking, I'd be looking for a way to get rid of them, which is exactly what this post is all about. 

So reporting for griefing doesnt work?

You sound like PVP is better for you. Your stuff is protected by the Gamemode PVE, you dont have to protect it more.

For my understanding this is a sandbox survival game, and an MMO. So there will be other player u have to deal with, and in PVE sometimes you are not able to.

People were dealing with this by griefing (back) and weightsink unwanted ships, but devs made a point by fixing it, think about it.

Talking about asking for permission, have u checked  the playernumbers per server. When i ask for a company in chat, chances to get a reply are below 10%.

For my understanding a claim doesnt mean the land belongs to the owner, it is only avoiding other people to build on it and his buildings on it is save for some time.

If you want to protect your sea area,you could build a wall of rafts/sloops around it, but your neigbours will complain about the lag (rightfully tho), so dont do it.

10 minutes ago, Kummba said:

So reporting for griefing doesnt work?

You sound like PVP is better for you. Your stuff is protected by the Gamemode PVE, you dont have to protect it more.

For my understanding this is a sandbox survival game, and an MMO. So there will be other player u have to deal with, and in PVE sometimes you are not able to.

People were dealing with this by griefing (back) and weightsink unwanted ships, but devs made a point by fixing it, think about it.

Talking about asking for permission, have u checked  the playernumbers per server. When i ask for a company in chat, chances to get a reply are below 10%.

For my understanding a claim doesnt mean the land belongs to the owner, it is only avoiding other people to build on it and his buildings on it is save for some time.

If you want to protect your sea area,you could build a wall of rafts/sloops around it, but your neigbours will complain about the lag (rightfully tho), so dont do it.

Its more the fact that a brig or galleon that was left from previous claim owners blocks a helluva lot of your build/anchorage area. Most of the ships that we're complaining about haven't moved in over a month, and aren't by anyone who owns any land on the islands.

Granted, I live on a narrow island, so I wasn't thinking about people who only own landlocked claims, so that would be something that needs consideration.

We understand that there will be visitors - my biggest issue is that there are multiple sloops, rafts, a schooner and a brig from previous claim owners blocking where I'm trying to build a trading port, so I WANT visitors - thats why a delay before decay is needed.

The problem is amplified by the fact that the shoreline of a lot of islands doesn't have a ton of good anchorage. The limitations of where you can anchor makes everyone get in close, to find that magic little spot where you're not running aground, but its shallow enough to anchor - so you're almost always going to be anchoring in someone elses build area - not even counting sea claims.

2 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

Most of the ships that we're complaining about haven't moved in over a month, and aren't by anyone who owns any land on the islands. 

Thats were u ask the support maybe. But the Devs will take care of it again. First time failed sadly.

1 minute ago, Kummba said:

Thats were u ask the support maybe.

Good idea. Go to any FOY island near the cave entrance and I want you to put in a support ticket for every single ship you see there that's abandoned.  Come back here in a week or two when you're done and tell me how that went.

Just now, Kummba said:

Thats were u ask the support maybe. But the Devs will take care of it again. First time failed sadly.

It just seems...dumb...to have to ask devs, whose support is already spread too thin at this stage, to zap ships. We know the first attempt failed, I think these conversations are more to A: Let the devs know that this is still an issue and it just keeps getting worse as more people quit, and B: Offer suggestions that may be more workable for them to implement than the last 'fix'.

3 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Good idea. Go to any FOY island near the cave entrance .......

Ok i went there multiple times, i feel the lag. Devs know it, had a good solution, it was implemented poorly, they reverted. WHAT make you think they dropt the subject?

Keep calm and enjoy the other aspects of the game until they fix hit.

I am done here now.

The problem I have is every island, every beach...   every patch of sea blocked by walls and shipyards.   it's like EVERY island perimeter is just perma-shipyards.   It's balmy.

2 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

The problem I have is every island, every beach...   every patch of sea blocked by walls and shipyards.   it's like EVERY island perimeter is just perma-shipyards.   It's balmy.

Lawless?

Most of the claim islands I've seen aren't so bad (on PVE)

Most of the lawless lands...oh, yeah. For some reason, people there seem to think they each need 4 small shipyards, and 2 large ones.

Give players gold for scuttling there ship or a timed bonus of sorts (24h bonus)and make shipyards one time use only.

In the natural order of things the strong survive and the weak perish but in this unnatural world called PVE even the weak and lame can flourish. 

As a result you have ridiculous situations such as this where people can spam endless ships and endless buildings since nothing can hurt them. Stop complaining and enjoy your PVE experience.

Edited by Bullet Force