Lukas1987

Insane amount of SoDs after recent patch.

That is the way it is already, most damned in golden, less in polar, lesser in normal.   The issue is it seems to have increased across the board, my theory is we are seeing the new spawn rates to accommodate the big/small sized damned coming soon they are just all medium size right now.  They are testing to see if the servers can handle it - and already they had to regress their view distance patch for server performance as they was spawning in aggroed

Edited by krazmuze

I remember when I first encounter lvl-14 SotD - he almost sunk me. He destroyed 4 planks and all was scary and panic. 

2day something changed. 

I spent some time clearing the area between 3 islands in my zone (I2 EU PVE). I sank for like 15 of those SotDs. Biggest one was lvl-25 and... he just did one leak in my gunport which I repaired after a battle.

So... I was thinking, maybe ppl don't hunt them because they afraid? Because they think they need a Galley with complicated shotgun design to fight SotDs? Well... in my experience, things are much better than I expect.

I have just a Brig. With about NO DESIGN at all (Just higher cellings on stern to carry 2-Ballistas for whales).

- There are 2 usual SpeedSails and 1 fine Handling one. 

- I have just 6 regular gunports with 6 regular guns and I added to the deck 2 more regular guns each side.

- I have a crew of 11 ppl. 3 for sails and 8 for guns at one side of my Brig.

- I have 150% Sturdiness and I put almost everything to Captaining (I just don't have enough points for lvl-2 Rally and Overdrive).

- I keep 1000 wood, tch, and fib within my res-box. 200 metal and hide. Also 6 extra planks and gunports, and extra steering wheel. 200 cannonballs.

And that's it. I sail to open sea and HUNT THEM. SOLO!

I don't use any secret strategy to fight. I just sail by and shoot. Do turnover. Repeat. With 150% sturdiness and all in captaining buffs I even do not pay attention to leaks or planks missing if there are few shots left to destroy SotD. However if things go crazy and dangerous I just sail to wind full speed and do maintenance.

There are like 2 serious fights per one raid (like I had one with lvl-17 and then lvl-25). Or as many as I have cannonballs to fight low lvl SotDs. Then - go ashore for resources, maintenance, and ammunition refill.

As a reward - There are way less SotDs around (I can feel it). And... well, journeyman handling sail and guns, masterwork deck and fine planks I have : ) Oh yeah and it turned out - it's fun to fight them.

Edited by George Catcher

11 hours ago, George Catcher said:

As a reward - There are way less SotDs around (I can feel it). And... well, journeyman handling sail and guns, masterwork deck and fine planks I have : ) Oh yeah and it turned out - it's fun to fight them.

Yeah nice loot, guess the deck and planks are small ones. Also how many resource boxes, diving attachments, dingidocks and foodlarders you looted. After some kills u just stop killing the low level (<20) anyway because everything below masterwork does not seems to be worth it. The low ones are just to learn their pattern and optimize your ship setup.

Other people said so to in this thread, if u want BPs for your ship u go golden age for the >50 SotD.  But dont go there with your broadside setup 🙂, they two-shot medium planks, so u have to avoid taking hits.

guess the deck and planks are small ones.

No. Actually medium ones. Still looking forward to gunports.

Also how many resource boxes, diving attachments, dingidocks and foodlarders you looted

Not so many... but I've got for like 12  journeyman BPs of Puckle : )) I don't know why but this one is always there! (We have no one who could create this gun).

some kills u just stop killing the low level (<20) anyway because everything below masterwork does not seems to be worth it.

Just to clear the area. But I often feels too lazy to stop and loot wrecks : )

Other people said so to in this thread, if u want BPs for your ship u go golden age for the >50 SotD. 

Well I think that would be a work for Galleys with at least journeyman sides... or for impossible shotgun-design and sterns-cannons kites. My point here - what if DEVs decide to cancel all this roof-cover armor and louvers ceilings with 50 guns somehow? For example they limit guns to only gunports (there must be the nose, stern and open top deck gunports in a game then). Will ppl be able to hunt high lvl sotds? It turned out that SotDs from usual water are killable solo by a default Brig. What about those extreme high lvl in Golden Ages? Are default Galley can handle them? Or maybe fleet of 3-5 Brigs?

(In my small company mates lost their interest - I mostly do solo game now and not sure if I'll build a Galley... just too many resources for build and maintain it. I'll just spend most of my time destroying all forests and rocks in my island : ))

And of course the MMO social part of game is missing. There is just NO instrument to chat with other companies behind the area. I don't know - who is there? What vessels they have? Are they do SotD's raids? Are they go to Golden Age? Are they go Kraken? Are they go for treasure an gold? And there is NO instrument to unite a group and go somewhere with a fleet, do epic battle and share the loot...

Edited by George Catcher

Last weekend there was literally walls of SOTD patrolling, and it was a pain in the butt to just sail through them. When you were hunting high level ones, quite a few times you ended up agroing more than just one while you were maneuvering. That was just ridiculous. On the other hand yesterday they vanished. We went on the hunt for several hours through several 14-15 sectors included golden age O-14, and all we could find during our trip was a few scattered low level green ones and just two almost  20.

Let's be honest, they are anoying when you are just sailing, specially if you are too slow because of weight and bad wind conditions. But on the other hand, we also need them to level up ships and improve the quality of the pieces in them. I don't know what happened both yesterday and last weekend, but a more balanced aproach is needed.

• Like 1

EU pve still got to many around the center. Zig zag between is no fun. Loot is not worth to engage. And somehow the always down in the line I sail.  Groups 3 our more. And the look like cruiseships, totally out of place in a sailing mmo. If the spawn 200 years later then the belong there.

Loot is not worth to engage

IMAO - we shouldn't engage at all while on travel missions (like for resources, tames or high lvl treasure). We build fast and light vessels to do long journeys and there is no point of adding there a guns, any xtra designs, put there a crew croud etc. For battles - there are different type of ships, and there are different hunt missions, usually not far from your base or... closest Golden Age.

Maybe those daily missions will require to sink them for rewards? Then ppl go to open water for hunting and travel missions will be easier?