Lukas1987

Insane amount of SoDs after recent patch.

I've been traveling from B9 to A14 last two days to hunt some whales. At first i was whoa,thats so many sods lately.After couple of grids,actually at A14 i decided to count number of sods.

I approached A14 and pointed my ship towards closest island and just straight forward. 34 sods in just 10 mins because wind kinda sucked. From level 1 to lvl 28. There are so many of them that they even ramming each other lol.

This is becoming annoyance,please take a look and fix this

Edited by Lukas1987

polar has more damned as does golden grids.   Best do a count in other areas.  If player kill rate is less than spawn rate then it does get busy.

Edited by krazmuze

Just now, krazmuze said:

polar has more damned as does golden grids.   Best do a count in other areas

Not much of a difference in warmer regions

it's based on kill rate.  My local golden server is empty of SOTDs.  Less popular servers they build up

Kill rate < spawn  rate is why damned spawning in freeports makes little sense.   Who will kill them?   Not lvl 8 ramshackle  sloopers without cannons.    Nor will the gally running in to fetch things from the store, they want to get out before they get damaged too bad, and protecting the sloopers from the greens is not worth the reward.

I think in order to control the population when players are not - damned should turn on each other.

Edited by krazmuze

We have so many whales and SoDs now that once seen 4  blue whales or 5 sperm whales in one place, arround those 4 blue whales were like 15-20 SoDs. Before update we had mostly clear waters, had to dodge maybe to like 3-5 SoDs at most clumped in 1 place and whales were rarity to look for, now they are everywhere and in massive numbers, almost can't squeeze between them without agroing 1 or 2. And yes, the green ones are worthless to kill, who want's to waste 25-50 medium cannon balls on something that gonna give common 1% better than default common blueprints an the npc levels are pointless, might aswell just get cheaper an without wasting metal at freeport.

I have seen so many in game talk about the lag the sotd cause, spawning almost on top of them, or just today a sotd had pinned them into a rock. 😑 At this point the only people asking for more sotd seem to be the claim flag owners who want you to do all the work while they get their get tax from you...

Earlier I was heading through a claimable region and a group of newer players were talking about having 7 ghost ships following them. I had advised them to try to outrun them and heal what they could at sea. With the lack of wind they tried to get to shore to anchor but instead they got pinned on a random rock by the sotd and were not able to anchor. They were sunk, and promptly started talking about how it does not make sense to have so many of the damned ships. As they talked in chat a person who owned a few claim flags in the ocean and on land in the region started talking about how they need to get the f over it and just suck it up and pay their taxes.. I did not know if they were joking or being rude so I asked the claim owner if they meant real life. This person went on a rant talking about how they do not even lift a finger and have all that they need. 😒 Apparently people who own claimed lands and ocean areas are ENTITLED to have you kill the sotd so they can make money off you.

This is why if I am in a claim area I never fight the sotd. I would rather fight them in lawless where I get 100% of my earnings. Sucks when you play games to have fun or escape real life BS and end up having to deal with much worse BS in the game you play.

I like the increase in certain zones so I know when I go out hunting I will definitely find what I am looking for.

I sail to a couple GA ruins every day and down a dozen or so level 50+ each time. I don't want those zones reduced, but wouldn't mind the non-GA, non-arctic zones to be less infested.

• Like 1

Noticed it as well.. also when I got to the colder regions there was a hell of a lot more whales as well..

Was having to manoeuvre around the bloody things every few minutes when making a new trio to the fountain. 

I'm thinking they killed off all the ships in the latest patch and so the servers quickly respawned them, which lead to clumping.  

I spent much of today going around and hunting them down.  Some servers are completely empty (clearly have active people farming them as well) and some were packed.  I had a pack of 5 on me at one point (good thing I set out with 1000 cannonballs).

It really doesnt feel like it's just "they turned up the rate and didn't tell us" or there wouldn't be empty servers.  Some other event caused clumps, and as people kill them it evens out.

It's gonna be interesting hunting whales when i get home today with so many sotd around.Never lost a ship since the begining of the game but for this one im certainly sure and prepared to lose it.

Sadly, the incentive to kill lover level ones just isn’t there! They’re not worth the cannonballs or the risk. 

Although I enjoy the risks involved with clusters of SOTD’s I can see why people would get annoyed, especially if they don’t have the experience to avoid, or the resources to combat them.

I just discovered one BAD THING added to SotD's.

Look at the picture below:

FxNR4XG.jpg

I took it A MOMENT after SotD appeared. So they greatly decreased they spawn distance (at least twice). The hell, devs! I'm in full speed, this SotD full speed and I didn't have any chance to avoid it aggroing at me. Of course I outrun it but do I need extra random damage to my vessel? 

Edited by George Catcher
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, StarWhispers said:

I have seen so many in game talk about the lag the sotd cause, spawning almost on top of them, or just today a sotd had pinned them into a rock. 😑 At this point the only people asking for more sotd seem to be the claim flag owners who want you to do all the work while they get their get tax from you...

Earlier I was heading through a claimable region and a group of newer players were talking about having 7 ghost ships following them. I had advised them to try to outrun them and heal what they could at sea. With the lack of wind they tried to get to shore to anchor but instead they got pinned on a random rock by the sotd and were not able to anchor. They were sunk, and promptly started talking about how it does not make sense to have so many of the damned ships. As they talked in chat a person who owned a few claim flags in the ocean and on land in the region started talking about how they need to get the f over it and just suck it up and pay their taxes.. I did not know if they were joking or being rude so I asked the claim owner if they meant real life. This person went on a rant talking about how they do not even lift a finger and have all that they need. 😒 Apparently people who own claimed lands and ocean areas are ENTITLED to have you kill the sotd so they can make money off you.

This is why if I am in a claim area I never fight the sotd. I would rather fight them in lawless where I get 100% of my earnings. Sucks when you play games to have fun or escape real life BS and end up having to deal with much worse BS in the game you play.

SoDs give laughable amouns of gold anyway and surely those ppl doesn't care about those random boulders or spike shots in their bank. Feel free to kill them, even if the SoD gives like 50 gold, they gonna only get 15 of it with 30% tax and that is some realy high SoD bcs they mostly give trash rewards.

Agree, they spawn so much now you have to sail you circles around and often as the OP says, they collide because there are too many in the area.

5 hours ago, Bowtie said:

I like the increase in certain zones so I know when I go out hunting I will definitely find what I am looking for.

I sail to a couple GA ruins every day and down a dozen or so level 50+ each time. I don't want those zones reduced, but wouldn't mind the non-GA, non-arctic zones to be less infested.

Agree that some zones should be infested while others not so much, it creates an area where ppl can hope for a good resource to be there and also a palce where ppl go to farm loot. The constant spam of SoD everywhere where we live is just straight annoying, of course we gonna outrun them, but o we realy need ton constantly be molested with 1-4k dmg to one of our planks bcs there's like 20 of them rendered? Also that's not like our company doesn't clear them... that's just that nothing bellow orange is worth wasting resources.

I was sailing a golden age region for hours the other day looking for a high level one, they are getting farmed so hard!

5 hours ago, TerrorTrooper said:

Sadly, the incentive to kill lover level ones just isn’t there! They’re not worth the cannonballs or the risk. 

I would kill them for exp for my ship.. if it wouldn´t level within one day to 41 and then cap out there. 

I really wish you had unlimited levels for your ship (and yeeeees, I know balance etc.) but for PvE that shouldn´t matter. 

At least we got something to do.. create a legendary brig with 100k weight 😄

Last night I had to take the galleon out to clear some.  There were like 5 in a clump and 2 of them were literally stuck nose to nose.  They couldn't even move.  They are not really a threat as they are so slow but are just an annoyance. 

I have to agree the patch changed something.   I am running an offline copy of official and it only runs servers that I am in, and only when I am on it.       So there was no opportunity for damned to build up even though I might not visit it for weeks.     There was for sure much much more damned in freeports and lawless usually 6 in view when normally it would be 3.   My sloop was lightly loaded so I escaped but it was a two hour journey to cross half a grid as you can only outrun them with the wind, and there would always be another in the way.

Devs need to own up to the hidden change, this is not about 'git gud son' it is about fixing bugs and making sure they are not regressing code accidentally as they make feature changes.    I suspect what happened is they put in the AI change for the upcoming damned change.

If they cannot fix it then they should have the damned turn on each other.

Edited by krazmuze
  • Like 2

After traveling from colder to warmer regions today,its pretty much same situation. There are couple of  minutes of no sods in sight and then cluster of them.I swear to god one rendered infront of my ship at full speed transitioning in next region. Sotd be like,excuse me sir im just gonna cross this grid and see sup in other region.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BirdyDJ said:

I was sailing a golden age region for hours the other day looking for a high level one, they are getting farmed so hard!

I could understand if they increased the rate in golden age zones as that is a zone you go into knowing their are a lot of npc/monsters there, but not in the normal regions.

• Like 1