Sign in to follow this  
Molarean

Breeding is painful right now

48 hours to raise a bear from birth,  have to just sit there and stare at the bear because if you leave the area, die or log out it stops eating and dies. Even cutting this time in half would be a huge help.

Yeah I am not sure why raising an animal in the middle of a  raging inferno, in a tropical climate for 2 days  is necessary.  

Juveniles will eat from a trough and the recent patch made temperature spikes a non issue.

2 hours ago, Nari said:

Juveniles will eat from a trough and the recent patch made temperature spikes a non issue.

mine was 25% done with full inv of food and 5 full feeding troughs still they died when i wasnt near them cause of starving

we tryed it after patch but all 3 bears died when  we are offline via disconnect ( full inv and 3 full troughs)

Shouldn't you be posting this in the section for Bug Reports and up-voting it so it gets fixed?

I'm still trying to figure out how so many animals get on the islands in the first place.  I mean it's obvious that no living creature can possibly survive birth without human intervention.  So how are all these animals reproducing???

Seriously? They expect us to sit within render range of recently born creatures for what, 36 hours straight? Feeding them constantly, lighting fires all over the place like we're having a barbecue, taking shifts... is this seriously their idea of entertainment? How can staring at a NPC bear for a day and a half be considered fun?

They keep saying this is a game about sailing and piracy. Ok, so how does sleep deprivation experiments involving newborn wildlife have anything to do with piracy???? 

I'd love to get into animal breeding. Right now, the mechanic is beyond playable, it's fucking stupid.

4 minutes ago, Pizik said:

Shouldn't you be posting this in the section for Bug Reports and up-voting it so it gets fixed?

You mean that section where you post the report and it's instantly cycled to page 16 where nobody sees it?  Good idea.

• Haha 3

Atm I wouldnt regard breeding as really implemented. Stop even attempting to breed animals and my guess is when the developers see no incoming data on breeding from the live servers they will adjust the mechanic to make it more reasonably accessible. If you actually endure such a trial of tenacity, it will only give the devs data which suggests someone is willing to do it.

Also lets all remember that the devs learned “so many lessons” from Ark, so obviously they would never have been so foolish as to start breeding off in this game with insanely unfun and boring mechanics and then have to respond to things like “sleep deprivation does not equal fun” in order to make common sense adjustments to a mechanic they’ve already had for some time in another game. *eyeroll*

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Atm I wouldnt regard breeding as really implemented. Stop even attempting to breed animals and my guess is when the developers see no incoming data on breeding from the live servers they will adjust the mechanic to make it more reasonably accessible. If you actually endure such a trial of tenacity, it will only give the devs data which suggests someone is willing to do it.

Exactly!  Stop breeding and proving that this system is tenable.  It isn't.

Lost my bear to a bug, company members lost theirs about the same time, 88% maturation and it just started dying. 41 hours with 6 hours of sleep over those two days and Grapeshot managed to do it again.

we raised one over the weekend no problems.  Has a cool blue mutation.  Def way easier then before.

The fact that the developers encourage people to stay at their computer for 48 hours straight is irresponsible.

I spend so so so so long raising a horse from birth and it dies because it needs to go on a stupid walk. Going for a walk takes it away from the temp controlled area thus killing it!!!! COME ON!!!! I'm only a human! humans need sleep! REDUCE THE TIMER AND STOP THE STUPID DEATH SENTENCE TASKS!!

unknown.png?width=864&height=486

Edited by Roo Downunder

You have to stay there 48hrs? Even cutting it in half wouldn't get me to stay there and babysit. Who has got 48hrs straight to do stuff like that? And they say "it's not favoured towards big companies" well you try telling that to the 1 or 2 players in a company who have to sit there for 48hrs to babysit, ha no thanks.

15 hours ago, Nari said:

Incorrect Nari, the temp is still a thing. Yes it was in the patch notes, but it is not working as intended.

19 hours ago, Molarean said:

48 hours to raise a bear from birth,  have to just sit there and stare at the bear because if you leave the area, die or log out it stops eating and dies. Even cutting this time in half would be a huge help.

I heard it was 36 hours roughly, which for once sounds like the dev(s) responsible did their research because it's apparently 16 to 18 months before the mother bear kicks the cubs out, so credit for that, but this is also one of those times where fun has to come before realism. It needs to be cut down to an hour at most for a bulk of the animals and maybe 3 hours tops, and even that is pushing it for higher tier animals if they're going to insist on a system that requires the player babysit nearly the whole damn time. Otherwise, breeding is beyond the reach of a bulk of their player base I'm betting. 

Personally, I think as long as the mother of whatever it is is present, for a bulk of the amount of time the player's participation is required should be minimal. In which case I am perfectly fine with a long rearing window for animals/critters where it makes sense.

11 hours ago, Jean Lafitte said:

How can staring at a NPC bear for a day and a half be considered fun?

Its not, but the Dev Team is so focused on fixing the game breaking bug that breeding content is not on the table. Sure they fixed the Hot/Cold issues... if you do not believe me Come Find me in K11 on Steep Island. Happy to show you a thing or two. Breeding as an Alliance/Large company is the only real solution currently. Happy to split the work with you, heck I will even build you a breeding hall next to mine. 

9 hours ago, Molarean said:

Lost my bear to a bug, company members lost theirs about the same time, 88% maturation and it just started dying. 41 hours with 6 hours of sleep over those two days and Grapeshot managed to do it again.

I have not seen bugs kill my bears, since the patch to remove cold fronts/heat waves and I moved to K11. 

9 hours ago, Molarean said:

The fact that the developers encourage people to stay at their computer for 48 hours straight is irresponsible.

Agreed, but look at the steam reviews and you should see that. 

8 hours ago, Roo Downunder said:

I spend so so so so long raising a horse from birth and it dies because it needs to go on a stupid walk. Going for a walk takes it away from the temp controlled area thus killing it!!!! COME ON!!!! I'm only a human! humans need sleep! REDUCE THE TIMER AND STOP THE STUPID DEATH SENTENCE TASKS!!

unknown.png?width=864&height=486

The size of that horse tell me it was not that old. But it sucks, sorry for your loss. 

6 hours ago, DannyUK said:

You have to stay there 48hrs? Even cutting it in half wouldn't get me to stay there and babysit. Who has got 48hrs straight to do stuff like that? And they say "it's not favoured towards big companies" well you try telling that to the 1 or 2 players in a company who have to sit there for 48hrs to babysit, ha no thanks.

24 hours for a company of 2-5 people is completely possible. Everything else gets 2x - Taming and harvesting etc... why not breeding. Because you can breed god like animals, even though they are still balanced its clear they only just now started to think about how F-ed it is. Maybe by changing the the heat/cold fronts its was an attempt to see if more breeding would take place... sure its WAY! easier.. but that time issue is the problem. I can't go afk to clean my bathroom/laundry etc without getting kicked for being Idle.. which then feels like it killed the Babies instantly because they stop eating. 

42 minutes ago, Eta Hywkes said:

Happy to split the work with you, heck I will even build you a breeding hall next to mine. 

24 hours for a company of 2-5 people is completely possible.

I appreciate the offer. I really do want to get into breeding for both stats and colors. However, until the whole insane methodology is reworked, I refuse to participate in their sleep deprivation experiments and I encourage you to do the same.  If you participate, they will assume it's working.

24 hours is possible, yes. Logical? No. Healthy? No. Fun? No. But you know that already.

I relish a challenge. Breeding, as it stands now, is not a challenge, it's bullshit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eta Hywkes said:

The size of that horse tell me it was not that old. But it sucks, sorry for your loss. 

I spent 30 hours streight with the horse and it was still only half done 😞