Sign in to follow this  
UDO

still faster farming thatch by hand compared to giraffe

9 hours ago, Nari said:

Did anyone compare it to the bear's ability for specific thatch nodes? Sounds like you're all hitting trees.

Nothing comes close to gathering thatch with a bear if you have that option.

On 2/17/2019 at 8:16 AM, UDO said:

as title , test done with comapny mate , same time scale farming i was faster with pickaxe 

approx 30 thatch with giraffe per hit 😕 

I don't even understand how people are taming giraffes. I've tried multiple times and it just ends up beating me to death over and over until I give up. That said, yeah, if I had managed to get one I'd prefer it did better than that at gathering thatch too. 

On 2/17/2019 at 8:54 AM, Bryan said:

We need more details.

Pick dmg %?

Harvesting perks? Level?

Melee on giraffe?

All of those things matter.

I had no idea melee affected gather rates, good to know though. 

On 2/17/2019 at 2:54 PM, Bryan said:

2x weekend a massive increase of nothing , still very similar per hit , stil better farming thatcht by hand , all other tames are great at what they do , why devs dont want to give us good thatch faring tame i dont know ,

On 2/17/2019 at 8:17 PM, boomervoncannon said:

Your avatar seems perfectly calibrated for this post.😉

Just wondering since you didn’t specify, was that a common pickaxe?

I've tested 133% damage blue pick and 110% damage green pick, blue gathered 15k thatch and green gathered 14.5k so diff isn't really that much.

And giraffe gathers same thatch as my blue pick per hit but its slow and doing it by pick is way faster.

I have a giraffe but i've never used it for thatch, not got around to using it so it sits up in the pen. I've always used the bear, it picks up just like fibre and can gain alot in 1 go. When I have to get thatch from trees, yes pick axe is always used, they need to increase thatch on giraffes if you don't get much from it, thatch is the only pain when harvesting because involves alot of travelling with bear, if you wanted to use the bear.

On 2/18/2019 at 1:06 PM, kampfer91 said:

Till you meet alpha . I tried once time and lost my bear . 

And i need to guide the bear too because of unreliable A.I pathfinding .

Just tame a lvl.25+ bear. I've killed all alpha animals except tiger(never had a chance) with a bear and having mate boosted bears on follow is much better.

Use natures cry and natures touch skills, it takes 2 points to unlock them but they are really effective.

Seems to me that tames should harvest more similarly to ARK than what they currently do.

The Rhino was an especially big letdown considering it REQUIRES a pure metal node to get metal with it.  I don't recall any common tames in ARK that had such a silly restriction (perhaps I missed that phase of the game?).  Am I supposed to believe that a Rhino destroys the metal from regular nodes but is able to multiply what's gained from pure metal nodes?  Seems a bit farfetched and silly.

Similar silliness with the other tames and their respective "special" resource.  It all just seems arbitrarily and unnecessarily restrictive.

49 minutes ago, Agustin Tini said:

With the x6 rework of the Giraffe, we only get 54 thatch of the tree's
What a GREAT PATCH

I farmed 40k thatch in 15 min with a giraffe after the patch. I must say i have a lot of trees close together.

" I don't even understand how people are taming giraffes. I've tried multiple times and it just ends up beating me to death over and over until I give up. That said, yeah, if I had managed to get one I'd prefer it did better than that at gathering thatch too.  "

Plate + a pen where you are below it's head solves most of your issues.

On 2/18/2019 at 4:00 PM, Warspectre said:

I don't even understand how people are taming giraffes. I've tried multiple times and it just ends up beating me to death over and over until I give up. That said, yeah, if I had managed to get one I'd prefer it did better than that at gathering thatch too. 

Shield is the pro strat for taming, you can feed while blocking

1 hour ago, gadefence said:

" I don't even understand how people are taming giraffes. I've tried multiple times and it just ends up beating me to death over and over until I give up. That said, yeah, if I had managed to get one I'd prefer it did better than that at gathering thatch too.  "

Plate + a pen where you are below it's head solves most of your issues.

Just crouch and feed it from the back just before the point where its neck starts. You won't take any damage but plate armor is advised.

It works better in flat open field where you wont have problem feeding but it'll try to run away.

31 minutes ago, strawman said:

Shield is the pro strat for taming, you can feed while blocking

Yes using shield is good until you find the sweet spot.