Sign in to follow this  
UDO

still faster farming thatch by hand compared to giraffe

as title , test done with comapny mate , same time scale farming i was faster with pickaxe 

approx 30 thatch with giraffe per hit 😕 

Edited by UDO

We need more details.

Pick dmg %?

Harvesting perks? Level?

Melee on giraffe?

All of those things matter.

34 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Your avatar seems perfectly calibrated for this post.😉

Just wondering since you didn’t specify, was that a common pickaxe?

yes it was just standard common pickaxe 

even using tame damage buff doesnt really make enough of a difference to warrant using it ,

considering patch notes said thatch gathering from giraffe 2x , i never had giraffe before the patch so was it really that bad before they did this in latest patch?

Edited by UDO

32 minutes ago, UDO said:

yes it was just standard common pickaxe 

even using tame damage buff doesnt really make enough of a difference to warrant using it ,

considering patch notes said thatch gathering from giraffe 2x , i never had giraffe before the patch so was it really that bad before they did this in latest patch?

Dunno. Never owned a giraffe either. But if giraffes are still outclassed by common picks, that’s not a good sign considering there are significantly better picks to be had. 

Bryan raises good points about further info. Do you have harvesting perks? What’s the melee on the giraffe etc.

6 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Dunno. Never owned a giraffe either. But if giraffes are still outclassed by common picks, that’s not a good sign considering there are significantly better picks to be had. 

Bryan raises good points about further info. Do you have harvesting perks? What’s the melee on the giraffe etc.

Theres an active post on reddit about the same thing, but the guy tested with a level 1 giraffe..... a level 1

And yes, the giraffe harvesting rate before this was... um.... are there children present? Can I use those words?

6 minutes ago, Percieval said:

I hope it stays that way. 

Hi there! Would you mind taking the negativity back to the other cancer thread with the doomsayer please? 🙂 This thread is talking about gathering rates. I think you confused it wih the one you are talking in that discusses the game failing because of animals.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bryan said:

Hi there! Would you mind taking the negativity back to the other cancer thread with the doomsayer please? 🙂 This thread is talking about gathering rates. I think you confused it wih the one you are talking in that discusses the game failing because of animals.

Did I hurt your feelings? I didn’t know you made up the forum rules. As far as I know I can post in any thread I want. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

We tested it on our private server as well and it's about 2x as fast using a common pickaxe to farm thatch over a level 28 giraffe. We didn't try on a higher level giraffe because the things are just awful to tame. We trapped a level 78 and beets were only giving it 1.7% tame per feed and there's no where you can feed it without getting hit by the stupid fucking neck swing. Not even worth trying.

Honestly, I'm questioning the intelligence of the developers in this game. They are either just stupid or don't test anything. They really have no clue what the state of their game is and just make arbitrary changes just to say they are making it better. 

Did anyone compare it to the bear's ability for specific thatch nodes? Sounds like you're all hitting trees.

we are that’s what the giraffe is for we are not talking about bears , and not all areas have the thatch leaves take the bear topic elsewhere .

more testing due due to the fact that hand farming with pick is hitting the tree 2 x faster than giraffe does for slightly more  per hit it is far far faster even dropping it off and coming back i still farm far more than using the giraffe , i filled a large box before giraffe and rider , 

the 2x increase on giraffe was welcome but it does need a bit more to make it usable over hand farming . 

55 minutes ago, Nari said:

Did anyone compare it to the bear's ability for specific thatch nodes? Sounds like you're all hitting trees.

Edited by uli

3 minutes ago, uli said:

and not all areas have the thatch leaves take the bear topic elsewhere .

You're preaching to the choir. My point was I bet the Giraffe is like the Bear. No good on trees 😛

But considering the situation , gathering thatch on giraffe is much safer than on foot , carnivores won't give giraffe a single problem . Giraffe also can run much faster , cross deeper water ,travel on steep cliff , you also no need to spend other resources to repair your pickaxe .

So if you live in a peaceful zone where not many fast and dangerous spawn like wolf / tiger / lion then a pickaxe is much better choice , on the other hand , if you happen to live where trillion of lion spawn every day then heck a giraffe is a saving grace .

Edited by kampfer91

2 minutes ago, kampfer91 said:

But considering the situation , gathering thatch on giraffe is much safer than on foot , carnivores won't give giraffe a single problem . Giraffe also can run much faster , cross deeper water ,travel on steep cliff , you also no need to spend other resources to repair your pickaxe .

So if you live in a peaceful zone where not many fast and dangerous spawn like wolf / tiger / lion then a pickaxe is much better choice , on the other hand , if you happen to live where trillion of lion spawn every day then heck a giraffe is a saving grace .

Take a bear on follow with "attack your target" is still better

Just now, Tenosch said:

Take a bear on follow with "attack your target" is still better

Till you meet alpha . I tried once time and lost my bear . 

And i need to guide the bear too because of unreliable A.I pathfinding .

Meh i am fine with that I think the gathering with animals should be slower but of course they can then carry more of the resource than you so it's a trade off.

A the moment this is becoming s game about tames.. tames for gathering, tames for combat soon tames will be able to man the guns on your ship..

49 minutes ago, Caldrin said:

Meh i am fine with that I think the gathering with animals should be slower but of course they can then carry more of the resource than you so it's a trade off.

A the moment this is becoming s game about tames.. tames for gathering, tames for combat soon tames will be able to man the guns on your ship..

LOL, yes, tames can man the guns. What is an NPC, if not something you command, just like a tame. I've written a few mods, an NPC has most of the same code as a tame, the real difference is one looks like an animal, the other like a human. So ya, they could code the monkeys to man the guns, but that would really look funny 🙂

And why that heck would you have tames in a game that can gather resources if you can gather them by hand faster? Only if you are some sadistic practical joker. The game would not retain players more than a week or two. Just leave out tames altogether if that is the plan. 

The real problem here is a kind of bait and switch. You think you will get a tame that is useful, you go through hours of hard work to get it, and then you find it was really a waste of your time. Either it is barely better, has almost no purpose (like what is a rabbit for, or a bull?). Or it gets killed when it flys off your boat while loading it or just sailing your ship and is killed.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Some people like to just collect tames, I like to actually use them for something useful.

We tamed a lot giraffes this weekend and sold them and i can confirm, that giraffe > pick in general but......

You need to have a lot of trees around, so giraffe can stay there and spam aoe harvest.

On a single tree pick > giraffe.

But keep in mind that a giraffe can farm longer and more safe. Giraffe can handle Tier 1+2 Alphas easy and Tier 3 medium. 

• Like 2

Well its entirely possible different things give different amounts. After I read the patch notes I tamed a giraffe was level 22 not sure now what he came out to, 30 maybe?

Its sucked IMO 132% melee and even after leveling up 10 times or so in only melee,  there was nothing impressive there for sure.

The thatch rate was pretty terrible before the patch, the giraffe was similar to elephant but somehow worse, it is a fast weight mount though if you need to move stuff. Probably could use additional buffing. I wasn't exactly sure how well it would be after the patch dropped but I agree you can outpace it easily. I have gathering bonuses and a legendary pick with 167% and way outpace it. Elephant and rhino are still better for stone and wood though all day, even more so with the weight reduction back and also added to rhino, plus the stamina bumps. Metal pick is better which is fine, rhino would have been better if they didn't increase the base resources by 2x plus all the 2 x weekends on top of it.

Bears are  the best thatch farmers by far.  You just have to know where to look. You can gather 50k thatch in 30 min or so during 2x.