Sign in to follow this  
~Six~

Relationship Between Mounted NPC & Wilds

Hello PathFinders!

Today I want to bring up the topic of the relationship between mounted NPC and wilds.  In the current state of the game wilds can kill mounted NPC on the Swivel Gun and Ballista. I believe in PvE this is an appropriate mechanic to have since players aren't trying to wipe your base.  For balance therefore, the only threat are the wild creatures on those servers. PvP servers on the other hand, Swivels and Ballistas are necessary for defence and that wilds should not agro to them if not provoked.  Below are reasons why I feel this change should be considered by the devs and community for discussion and input/consideration.

For example, on my island I have tigers, lions and cobras for my aggressive wild creatures and the npc manned swivel guns are in turret towers/boxes.  This is so they are not easy targets to snipe out.

• However, Lions will come up and pick them through the opening in the wall. Instantly removing my base of any pvp defences when the npc didn't even shoot at the lion.

• For the Cobras, they just sliver/clip/mesh right through the turret tower design foundations/walls I have built for the npcs. Also with the current hitboxes for cobras, swivel guns set to shoot wilds will land accurate hits on them about 1 in every 10 shots, which makes it nearly impossible for me to keep npc manned swivels up for PVP defences.

• With the Tigers, I haven't had any huge issues with them so far it doesn't appear they can do anything to the npc in the nest. Also with the NPC mounting a puckle gun cant be killed by wilds but since wilds by default target NPC they still try to kill them and will stand all around the puckle when a npc is mounted on it and block LOS effectively making that turret irrelevant.

I feel a better way to obtain balance so that PVP servers can optimize these awesome defences and invent new metas for defence is to change the relationship between NPC and Wilds.  My suggestion is to make it so that normally aggressive wilds do not target mounted NPC unless provoked.  I feel this change would improve the balance for both PvE/PvP servers and not break the game mechanics.

Keeping turrets alive on PvE is there only concern but on PvP in the current state if u live on a island with cobras and lions like myself and my crew, the only way to keep your turrets alive is to protect your turrets with more turrets, which may not even work with certain line of sight mechanics and angles with the turrets.

If there is anything the devs would like me to show them about this issue feel free to msg me I believe this is a fundamental issue for defences in a game that we pour so many endless hours into.

Edited by ~Six~
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, kampfer91 said:

Hence i build another layer of windowed wall around to keep the lion and cobra away from the turret .

oh sure, lets limit the area of effect to accommodate to a bullshit mechanics. No thanks.. lets just fix the game up so that NPC's aren't targets and call it good.

• Haha 1

That how i stop the lion from grabbing me while i mount my swivel cannon , i don't think it is limit build , call it creative to get rid of the lion advantage .

Extremely well written OP laying out your position and reasoning. This is the kind quality feedback developers I’m sure are looking for. Well done sir. Awesome first post, looking forward to your future contributions and welcome to the forums.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 11:39 PM, kampfer91 said:

That how i stop the lion from grabbing me while i mount my swivel cannon , i don't think it is limit build , call it creative to get rid of the lion advantage .

It's not creative, it's limiting your defense by creating a line of sight issue for defense against players. The wild creatures will cause line of sight on the turret shots. Effectively making your puckle/swivels useless when a player does come into what would be a kill zone. I could be misunderstanding your design but shooting through a window twice severely limits the range you have to defend when the OP has a proposal to allow mechanics to work more as intended for the playerbase regardless of pvp and pve environments.

Edited by Shadow PharmD
Derp autocorrect

Hope this reaches the devs, it sounds like I am not the only one dealing with these issues.

19 hours ago, Shadow PharmD said:

It's not creative, it's limiting your defense by creating a line of sight issue for defense against players. The wild creatures will cause line of sight on the turret shots. Effectively making your puckle/swivels useless when a player does come into what would be a kill zone. I could be misunderstanding your design but shooting through a window twice severely limits the range you have to defend when the OP has a proposal to allow mechanics to work more as intended for the playerbase regardless of pvp and pve environments.

The enemy still have to pass the first layer of wall before getting into my base , if it hinder the enemy then it is good  . That is my current set up with the current A.I , especially those Lion grabbing attack , may be they will change in the future so that lion won't attack through fence and cobra not go through railing .