Murreth

Help taming Giraffes

Hey all, I've been able to tame most of the animals in Atlas but man is the Giraffe a pain in the posterior. As I'm sure you all know its damage radius is about 5x the distance from the Earth to the Sun so any time I get near its head to try to feed it I get hit. I wouldn't even mind if I got hit and was able to feed it but because its head moves so much and the knockback its attack has I only succeed in feeding it about 1 out of every 5 or 6 tries.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for taming the Giraffe, a better place to stand or try to feed it where I either won't get hit, or at the very least a place where I can aim so that when I do get hit at least I'm getting a feed in before I do.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Murreth

I've been having serious issues with this myself. I made sure I had Advanced Taming Proficiency, tamed on a 2x weekend, and trapped a giraffe in a 3x3 trap (which can be a bit tricky itself sometimes). The trap was also setup on perfectly flat land. I just shot it down with a bow and arrow and then bola of course. The only place I found that I could stand relatively consistently and feed was by his/her hind legs (walk up to them from the rear). I was able to stand right beside the hoof and feed. Once you figure out the exact spot, try to drop the giraffe facing the same direction as often as possible....just makes it easier.

I have only tamed one this way (my first one), but I hope the info helps.

• Like 1

• stack the foundations two high at least, this will allow you to stand and not be hit. 
  • have sneak 1 and 2 if possible.
  • stand/crouch on the animals underside, just behind the front-most HIND leg. 

was having major difficulties last night with them, using the above i tamed three this morning, two level 28's and a level 30, and they were a piece of cake.

• Like 1

Tamed a lot giraffes this weekend. 

Giraffe has a sweetspot like the elephant, but sometimes in this position you cant feed here. Then you need to go one step forward, feed here and go 1 step back. 

Giraffe has one big problem: Few patches before there was a patch that you cant feed tames through walls anymore. Giraffe with his long neck is nearly everytime unfeedable, when head is between the doorframe. Our solution is,that we shoot her on low life, take bola and run into the pen. Giraffe will turn to attack you and thats the part when you throw the bola. Her head is free then and you dont have any trouble with taming.

• Like 2

Elephant and rhinos the sweet spot is between front and rear legs by the belly, giraffes however the sweet spot for me at its back by the shoulder.

Just watch out it's breathing and eating animations can push you a bit, sometimes into it's attack reach.

the taming pens is what causes a lot of the issues. open field taming is the way to tame them we usually find 2-3 high levels a day that we grab with ease that way.

best spot: From the direct front. Mostly u can stand there while he's hitting and don't hit u. 

Otherwise he hits slowly and u can try to get there, feed and go away without getting hurt.

But at least: taming a giraffe alone is annoying 😞

What other taming  pen designs have you all came up with for larger tames ? I like enclosed structures to protect you from other hostile creatures. What size and materials are most using?

I didnt use a taming trap for my giraffe, but I found it easier to get to feeding range from the top/back of it, rather then from the front

TL;DR:  giraffes are finicky to tame, but doable.

We tamed our first giraffe in a borrowed taming pen. It was really rough, and the taming pen design left a lot to be desired, but we were successful.

I lost it and our elephant and rhino, while going between zones on our galleon. I think it was when I collided with a ship of the Damned and got sent careening off.

So yesterday I tried a taming pen type I’d seen on a YouTube video by FireSpark81. I found a giraffe and just started boxing it in with wood billboards. I put one right in front of it, and then worked my way around.

The benefit that I found is tvat you get pretty much full access to the tame. Crouching, you can walk right under any section, and I didn’t have any issues feeding it’s face head on, should you choose to do so. Wear plate and consider blocking with a shield, if you wish to try this method.

The best place I found to feed the giraffe from is on it’s left flank, just in front of it’s hind leg. There is a blood patch that should be on your right at eye level (you should be crouching), and if you’re just behind that, looking towards the front, just left of the giraffe you should be able to feed it. If needed, make small adjustments to the front.

As Jack Shandy said, the breathing animations can get in the way at times, just be patient.

I also used this method to tame a bear, and the small signs to tame a wolf. The wolf I bola’d first and then put the signs down around it. Both went really well.

• Like 1

Just don't tame a giraffe. Right now they aren't even worth it. Using a common pick is more efficient at gathering thatch than a giraffe is even after the increased the rate by 2.  

I do agree that the giraffes thatch gathering is pretty lacklustre. But, if you take into account the low stamina drain of harvesting with the high weight capacity, it is better than doing it by hand.

It’s just not as good for thatch as the elephant is for wood, and nowhere near as effective as a bear is for fiber.

we don't use a taming pen, we tame a lot of them, use a bear, shoot it with arrows from it's back, and bola from the back of him out in the open, we've had so much success without pens.

Use a bear to hit it and tame it in open field and when you trap it with bola feed it from the back while crouched, it won't hit you but it'll try to run once after 60%.

You can use a taming pen but it might block its head and you won't be able to feed.

Crouch and approach from the back it won't take you much time to get the sweet spot and try taming it during 2x which will be quite fast.

So found that once you down the giraffe first time just space wood pillars around it 3-4 wide and 5-6 long by 3 high. I did 4 by 6 originally and it was able to move around more than I wanted so I think 3 by 5 would work. Holds it well though and gives more space to feed than doorframes. I didn't have any problems feeding from behind. You can even reuse the trap fairly cheaply by just tearing down the 2 pillars on one side (which you have to remove anyways to get it out). You can then pull in another giraffe, drop it, then replace those 2 on the side (6 wood pillars total) to trap.