Sign in to follow this  
Dojii

Will there be a wipe when game leaves Early Access?

I have been reading in some places that there may be a full wipe when the game leaves early access.  Most of their argument is based on some things that happened in Ark, and therefore they presume that because it happened in Ark it will inevitably happen in Atlas.  There also seems to be this troll campaign that makes talk to encourage a wipe, as well as speak as if they would love and cherish a wipe.  

I'm not really concerned about the 25$ I spent for "early access".  I'm more concerned about the time I'm investing in the game that far exceeds a 25$ price tag.  I haven't read anywhere from developers that there would be a wipe when the game leaves early access, or any wipes at all for that matter.  Maybe it's implied in some vague lines in the EULA?  

At any rate I would just hope that if there is plans, or expectations of a wipe from the development team that they would tell us now.... or rather it would be nice to clarify on the subject.  Maybe put it in BOLD LETTERING somewhere, so people know what to expect on the subject.  Just a bit tired of the mystery of will we be able to keep our pixels or not.

If you have any documentation, or word from the Development Team on the subject I would like to see it.  

• Like 1

Probably not. They will most likely put in New atlas servers.  

Peopel who want the fresh start can move peopel who are happy on the server they are on can stay untill population drops off and they start closing servers

They are clear on their stance that they prefer not to wipe but are willing if necessary. The ARK comparison is because of Legacy servers. Technically they didn't wipe old servers but for all intents and purposes... they did. If you care this much about you progression and time sunk maybe it's better if you wait for the end of the EA to commit.

• Like 1

Of course they will wipe just like they did with ark , at first they said not 1 will go then a month or 2 later they said the servers that weren't highly populated would be wiped then mine got wiped with regular 56/70 players daily so if you're building big and beautiful get lots of screen shots to remember it 

well if they want the rush of players back , they will wipe on landmark patches i guess, but then it also be a major patch-change to the game-items we have now

I don't see anyone posting comments from the Development Team though.  It's just more speculation and mystery.  I want to read that the devs say if anyone has that information.

5 minutes ago, Dojii said:

I don't see anyone posting comments from the Development Team though.  It's just more speculation and mystery.  I want to read that the devs say if anyone has that information.

Well here's what we do know: They have said it will be a 2 year EA phase at minimum, which means any such wipe is 2 years off, possibly longer if they should decide a longer EA is needed. Not to be a prophet of DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM because I sincerely like the game and hope it does well, but at the moment Atlas downward trendline in playerbase means that a more relevant question is whether the game will survive to leave Early Access or not. I think it will because GrapeCard™ has deeper pockets than other indie studios, but the bottom line is atm there's probably as much a risk from losing your time invested from game failure as there is from launch wipe.

Ask yourself this: Do you typically play games for much longer than 2 years? How many times have you done so? If the answer is no or not very often, I'd just play and worry about crossing that bridge when you come to it. There is nothing known currently that is concrete, but it matters little at this point. It's entirely possible that the devs have not decided one way or the other and there may be good reasons for not making that decision this early.  Try not to worry too much at the start of 7th grade who your prom date will be.:classic_biggrin:

12 minutes ago, Dojii said:

Just like in ARK, they will avoid a wipe as long as possible. The majority of players do not want a wipe. They only do wipes if absolutely necessary, and they will never know that more than a month or two in advance.

Hence, why this is such a stupid question to ask.

It isn't going to happen until it does. We will hear like two weeks before, not sooner, pointless to ask this.

41 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I think it will because GrapeCard™ has deeper pockets than other indie studios

Yea if you look at https://steamcharts.com/ it says ARK: Survival Evolved is currently #12 most played today with 44,166 current players.  With a peak of 54,964 today.  

We can also cross reference the data with https://store.steampowered.com/stats/  (From steam themselves) and it's not very far off.  Both fluctuate of course.  So like you said basically... it's not a mom and pops operation when they have one of the most successful games on steam.  

Given what current information I have... it seems safe to say they will not wipe servers unless they absolutely have to and feel it's necessary.    When things have gone wrong and they deemed it necessary they have rolled the servers back a few hours.  I like that when they see problems, or fixes, or have updates they just bring the servers down and apply the fixes.

I have also heard from other players they plan to be in EA for 2 years, and will be developing throughout that time, new content, etc... before it leaves EA.  With the leveling system being the way it is, how you have to work very hard to unlock 100 levels..... it doesn't seem to me that wiping a server is good for the game at all.  Albeit you can get some awesome XP from treasure maps on a 2x weekend.  We were able to level a friend of ours from 1-47 in like 4 maps on a 2x weekend with an XP song, and discovery XP buff.  It seemed crazy but then I thought to myself.... you're only level 47 and the rest of the XP past 51 you have to unlock.  You have to unlock these level caps before you can even gain experience for those levels.  

It's a ton of work with the current design but it's also cool to see that people aren't max level, and there is more to complete, and achieve even if it is just sailing around 225 grids trying to poke your head into a discovery.  

There has hardly been any MMO in recent years that required, or was even worth the investment of time (for me).  But I feel that this game is worth that 2+ years investment and beyond.  However, all the ARK PTSD people have (and I've never played Ark) has had me worried that we're just going to get deleted.  Anyways thanks for the information.  Rather have the discussion here than on the Steam Forums, because it seems to be a cesspool of trolls.  Would still like any official information if anyone comes across anything from dev team.  I added tags to this thread and tried to make the question as simple as possible, so that perhaps in the future there is a more reliable reference for the information than Steam's dismal threads.

Edited by Dojii
spelling, grammar, etc

5 hours ago, Dojii said:

I have been reading in some places that there may be a full wipe when the game leaves early access.  Most of their argument is based on some things that happened in Ark, and therefore they presume that because it happened in Ark it will inevitably happen in Atlas.  There also seems to be this troll campaign that makes talk to encourage a wipe, as well as speak as if they would love and cherish a wipe.  

I'm not really concerned about the 25$ I spent for "early access".  I'm more concerned about the time I'm investing in the game that far exceeds a 25$ price tag.  I haven't read anywhere from developers that there would be a wipe when the game leaves early access, or any wipes at all for that matter.  Maybe it's implied in some vague lines in the EULA?  

At any rate I would just hope that if there is plans, or expectations of a wipe from the development team that they would tell us now.... or rather it would be nice to clarify on the subject.  Maybe put it in BOLD LETTERING somewhere, so people know what to expect on the subject.  Just a bit tired of the mystery of will we be able to keep our pixels or not.

If you have any documentation, or word from the Development Team on the subject I would like to see it.  

I personally am only hoping for a wipe, I have no reason to believe that there will be one, other than  the fact that the game started out in very much a broken state and the people who have the most land/progress currently are those who were able to take advantage of the broken aspects.

There was significant duping, the land system has been through 3-5 terrible iterations and in its current state any new players who do not have land, basically never will obtain land... The structure crafting changes have made it so that those who came first and built quickest have terrific looking buildings and those who started the process late have hodge-podge thatch mixed with stone everywhere... 

Furthermore, it would make sense to "release" an MMO on a clean slate, not with pre-existing ghost towns and all the land already claimed.

Again, just opinion.

• Thanks 1

Wipe or not I would suggest not getting to attached to anything in game during early access. Things can poof because of bugs, rollbacks, exploits, and even possible wipes. That is why Atlas is in early access and not release. 

I wish they’d wipe it all now. And bring in regular wipes. Maybe 1 month or 2 month cycles. This game has had too many drastic changes where people (myself included) took advantage of the dev’s oversight and exploited it to get ahead. 

I think it would be welcomed on the most part and like games like rust the devs will see an increase in player base on wipe days. This way they can add bigger updates aswell without everyone getting butt hurt that their stone walled  mega base isnt as OP as it was before the update. 

Just my opinion tho. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caldrin said:

I would think there will be wipes throughout development.. 

This.  Early access lends itself to groups exploiting weaknesses in mechanics giving themselves huge advantages.  These are hard to peel back without wipes.  They also give players the opportunity to come back on even footing when they were wiped unfairly or just didn't like the balance of the game and won't come back hundreds of hours behind everyone else.

Survival games should have server wipes as a matter of course.  I'd want one every 12 months post release to keep it fresh.

Also, the only reason they didn't wipe Ark was because they promised they wouldn't.  So they just did it by proxy with new servers.  They have not made that promise with this game.

Edited by Smash
  • Like 2

I honestly think they should wipe every couple months after big balance changes/patches until it's out of EA and be upfront about it. I am ok with losing all my stuff going in knowing it's going to be lost, hell I am already losing it to offline raiding anyways certainly isn't going to hurt my feelings that it all gets wiped.

I think there would be big influxes of people coming back in for the initial rush again, especially if they publicize it,  which was honestly the best part out of the gate. They could even go so far as to randomly regenerate the map every time and mix it up. I don't see any reason to keep an EA server after the game goes live. I have never been in another public beta where the stuff I got in the beta was still there on the official release. 

7 minutes ago, Thor Ragnarock said:

I honestly think they should wipe every couple months after big balance changes/patches until it's out of EA and be upfront about it. I am ok with losing all my stuff going in knowing it's going to be lost, hell I am already losing it to offline raiding anyways certainly isn't going to hurt my feelings that it all gets wiped.

I think there would be big influxes of people coming back in for the initial rush again, especially if they publicize it,  which was honestly the best part out of the gate. They could even go so far as to randomly regenerate the map every time and mix it up. I don't see any reason to keep an EA server after the game goes live. I have never been in another public beta where the stuff I got in the beta was still there on the official release. 

i don't think that correct , this isn't ark where u find a spot build a base and lvl to max just wandering about killing stuff , this game needs far too much time to get past 51 , the time investment alone is hundreds of hours just to visit the entire 225 grids and find all discoveries to get to max lvl 

if they do wipe i doubt many existing players would want to do all that again , they need to be very careful after EA as a decision to wipe i think would kill off the game and a huge majority of the existing players base , these are the players u don't want to lose .

It took me a few weeks to get to the base max level, granted I was playing a lot on the first drop and probably wouldn't to the same degree again although the hype winds up keeping you up later than you should be on grinding stuff out. And I wasn't even doing the optimal thing to level, I have a lot more knowledge on that now, I was mostly gathering and killing stuff on my island. You can level really fast doing maps, grinding yeti kills, and alphas. For 2 weeks I had no alphas on the lawless island I was on once I did I got levels very quickly off them. By 50 you can with 2 or 3 other players cover everything with some overlap. In a big company it doesn't even matter you specialize or do whatever it is you enjoy.

You can easily go from nothing to boats and bases and defenses within a few weeks. Maybe few months would be too short but 6+ wouldn't be terrible. Call it  EA sessions Alpha phase 1, phase 2. There are already so many people who played built up and lost it all to bugs, imbalance, and other bullcrap. When massive changes that throw the game balance around occur  it's good to wipe the slate and let everything start over. Even private ark servers do this. Just because its the official doesn't mean it should be impervious to a wipe.

Edited by Thor Ragnarock

they should wipe the servers asap BUT only after the claim system is fixed. right now its trash because you can spam flags like crazy. limit the flags per person to 5 flags or so and then wipe.

7 minutes ago, TheCoolGuy said:

they should wipe the servers asap BUT only after the claim system is fixed. right now its trash because you can spam flags like crazy. limit the flags per person to 5 flags or so and then wipe.

And then they could wipe it again after a new mechanic have been found and so on and on.

Servers will likely never be wiped, specially not with the small population left. Not many would return, they already playing other games and  great titles are about to launch.

1 minute ago, Dojii said:

Bumping this thread since it's a subject of discussion.  General consensus is there will not be a wipe UNLESS IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY -- and that just seems like something that is fixed by minor rollbacks.  All this wipe is coming chat is a troll.

They have literally just confirmed on live stream that the Official network will be wiped with the March update.