Netopier

Sea waves going trough island - not beach boundary

Hello.

I'm trying to start my own server. I have issues with sea waves going trough island surface like on this picture:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GWo7RJAY7TolBNj7Dvhj-8lWtWzVLfms/view?usp=sharing

The only thing I have changed in the config is the square size of the region. My region is like 4x times bigger than official.

Thank you for any help.

Edited by Netopier

wave generators often using spatial frequency domain synthesis, what that means is waves are relative to the size of the grid as otherwise it would require 4x the memory to make waves be same size.   They cannot just copy paste the same wave pattern 4x as it would create unrealistic discontinuity and they cannot half step the pattern as that would smear out the waves.

Edited by krazmuze

11 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

wave generators often using spatial frequency domain synthesis, what that means is waves are relative to the size of the grid as otherwise it would require 4x the memory to make waves be same size.   They cannot just copy paste the same wave pattern 4x as it would create unrealistic discontinuity and they cannot half step the pattern as that would smear out the waves.

And how will this information help me with my issue?

🙂

I put information about my region size there, because it could have something to do with the world generator...

That it probably cannot be fixed without high cost?

Thus the workaround of using standard tiles, the only gameplay change it creates is the shimmer (and any bugs crossing servers)

I'm not asking devs to fix it. I'm asking how to avoid this bug. Maybe some information what is causing it will help.

avoid the bug by using standard tiles, instead of 4x dimensions uses 4x tiles. Does mean redrawing map and wiping though if that is your concern.

4x tiles mean more instances to run. I don't want that.

I have figured out, that islands can by only in a certain distance from the center of a tile. If you put an island far from the center, this bug will happen.

11 hours ago, Netopier said:

Hello.

I'm trying to start my own server. I have issues with sea waves going trough island surface like on this picture:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GWo7RJAY7TolBNj7Dvhj-8lWtWzVLfms/view?usp=sharing

The only thing I have changed in the config is the square size of the region. My region is like 4x times bigger than official.

Thank you for any help.

What is your actual region size?  Have you exceeded the maximum recommended region size? 

Worse further from origin sounds like floating point precision which gets worse with larger numbers.    That is inherent with floating point, both unreal and unity have the same issues.

Using more then the standard size also fucks up the physics of the game. The longer from the center of the grid you go the more the physics will go nuts. Flying ships, flying mobs, unharvestable resources etc.