UniversalChip

Lawless foundations and pillars

23 hours ago, peerpressure said:

uhh...they are 2 different zone types.  And i could care less about people walling off areas on the claim that their flag holds.  My concern is the uncontrollable building on lawless islands.  If its allowed, fixing claim system wont matter.  It wont drain.  Turn it into a normal zone if anything.  The original concept was fine.  Visit, grab a few resources, maybe a couple tames...then leave.

I have lived on lawless since launch.... found a small spot amongst the piles of buildings, built up a small house. Lived quite happily... then some guys rocked up sank out fleet using overloading... that got fixed.... We carried on... then woke one morning to find walls all around the land... then it becomes a PvE angry neighbour fest until someone gives in.... I really wish everyone had the mentality of visit, grab and leave... sadly its visit.... build right next to you... wall off resources... leave, come back when they need something...  So up went the Lawless walls.... Wish i could live without em...

Lawless is pretty much just ARK style.. If you played ark ever for any length of time then you know what to do.. But sadly just like in ARK there are always going to be assholes ruining shit.. Thats just life.. People show their true nature when there is no consequence to deal with. I for one pillar the land around my base just like in ARK so I can make sure I don't get trolled. The only thing I don't do at this point is build up fences or gates or whatever to protect my land. Simply because I don't have to deal with dinos eating everything anymore. Ports or harbors are another matter though in my opinion.. I've considered walling mine off simply to keep boats from blocking me in or just sitting there never to move again... I'm getting sick of all the random trash people leave in them.. (trash being ships) Anyways thats just my opinion on lawless and pillars.

• Thanks 1

I have 2 small pillars in the middle of my base which is stopping me from placing the rest of the floor down, is there any way to remove them by luring animals to it or something? I've asked almost daily if the company can remove it please but they take no notice.

I'm left with a gap in the middle of the floor because "to close to enemy foundation" without them taking it away I'm stuck with it I think so it's just building around it until they want to come and remove which will be never more than likely.

I'm always keeping an eye on their timer, never goes down though (lawless)

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 2:29 PM, Sadie Blackhawk said:

I avoid lawless servers like they have the black plague. My ships have gotten stuck on non rendering docks, the lag is so intense when I try to go on an island. I'd rather pay tax or go to a freeport.

On 2/22/2019 at 4:00 PM, MeatSammich said:

Honestly, if it was set up so that you had to designate 50% of your claimed land over X amount of claims (5? 10? Some random formula involving the # of the people in the company and # of claims?) as buildable by anyone, and whoever built there first got protections like not being able to be kicked off as long as they were active within as long as the company's claim timer was, and that whoever built there first was the only company that could build there, with the exception of the actual landowner, and, imho just as important, if the actual landowners claims go up for the owner's inactivity, the tenant  automatically becomes the new owner...there would be a lot less people in lawless, and a lot more people 'renting' claim space.

This would incentivize people to rent, would still allow people to protect their 'important' spots like harbors and resources, and if it was just a flat 10% tax, would provide a small bit of passive income for the people who do hold the land.

This would allow lawless to go away and become more claimable area, since the overall purpose of it originally was to be somewhere to build something better than a raft to find your own claim, and now that you can get a ramshackle sloop in freeport, the only purpose was for peole who couldn't find land.

i dont think the mechanics of lawless zones were designed for "living" on the island.  No limit on building...the render times...its a mess.  If any change was made to ease the pain of current residents, it may as well be a normal zone..with a reduction in animal and resource spawns.  But plenty of time to address problem before launch.

23 hours ago, Dreadmill said:

L9 is home my friend. I’m sorry you think it’s chaotic and disorganized. Most big cities without ordinance (law) look the same way but have thriving communities and culture. The folks where my base is located are now our allies and friends. My company and I have had an excellent gaming experience because of the trade and the help we have given each other. I think maybe your looking at it as a visitor and not as a resident. I have been on many  claimed areas that look cold, sterile and too organized for my tastes. But then again, I don’t live there so I can’t really judge.

The issue is the mechanics of lawless islands as the current state, which is broken.  If lawless zones require Dev's to spend time to adjust them more in line with normal zones...just change to normal zones and move on...or revert with the wipe and reset giving time for people to move to normal zones.

• Like 1

The reason people stay in lawless is because its all there is.  Fix claim land so that theres more than 2 to 3 people on most of those servers and lawless will slowly drain.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, peerpressure said:

i dont think the mechanics of lawless zones were designed for "living" on the island.  No limit on building...the render times...its a mess.  If any change was made to ease the pain of current residents, it may as well be a normal zone..with a reduction in animal and resource spawns.  But plenty of time to address problem before launch.

Those are quick server setting adjustments. They already switched lawless to have foundations block spawns once, but had to switch it back because the amount of building on them made them barren wastelands.

4 hours ago, Archsenex said:

The reason people stay in lawless is because its all there is.  Fix claim land so that theres more than 2 to 3 people on most of those servers and lawless will slowly drain.

They have land a available in other sectors.  Land claim fix wont bring back lawless sectors to the original concept, unless you force the move  / wipe the zone.

I dont know the solution but the foundation spam and the huge walls need regulation if selfish people cant show some common decency, but its the internet common decency is a mythical beast so come on DEVS regulate their asses. And while your at it clean up the used ships thats have stood idle for weeks on end. Both a quality of life improvemants for the players not to mention reducing server load.

I dont know the solution but the foundation spam and the huge walls need regulation if selfish people cant show some common decency, but its the internet common decency is a mythical beast so come on DEVS regulate their asses. And while your at it clean up the used ships thats have stood idle for weeks on end. Both a quality of life improvemants for the players not to mention reducing server load.

lol not all lawless is bad and if they were to wipe lawless and nothing i for one would most likely quit or find a unofficial i like. (though i want the full map which is why i have not gone to unofficial) i joined the game in the first week of the game but was one of the unlucky ones where both me and my friend was not able to get in for the first few days and for weeks after that i was just sailing around the map looking for land where we could put our base making new raft every time my old was destroyed which for a while was daily. in time someone on here let me build on their land was there a few of weeks before going on holiday for 1 week by this time my friend had chosen to take a break from the game. when i logged back in the person who owned the land had quit and a big company owned the land. soo all my stuff belonged to them and the ship i had been building was gone. i was able to get hold of a member of the company the next day who was kind enough to let me stay there and took my old base down and gave me my stuff and plus some rss to help me to rebuild my base. i was unable to put a new dock down so went back to freeport by the time i got back to the island i had lost everything once again. i now live in lawless until i can get my own land (not going though that again) yes lawless can be crowded but if you look you can often find that a lot of the small bases can be demolished. the island i now live on is tiny and i just check the other buildings as i go around getting rss i need and if a building can be got rid of tbh i get rid of it to help avoid extra lag by buildings from people who have quit. not everyone does this i often find bases where people have taken the storage boxes/tames but left the bases. i do hate the people that fill the area with pillers or foundations but people who live in lawless should not have to suffer regular wipes (unless its a full server wipe) cos of a few people.

p.s. once i have land i will be moving out of the lawless again just building a schooner at the mo then i am back to hunting for land again and when i leave i will be packing all my stuff away either on to one little sloop which i will keep at the lawless island until i have land just in case i lose everythign and have to start again or on my schooner and coming with me.

Edited by canhelas

My Partner and I are a 2 person company and we have 2 bases; one on a lawless island and another that we rent since neither of us has the dedicated time for long sea journeys to find claimed land. We are lucky to have some good folks around us and made allies and friends in both zones. We don’t want to give up our lawless and a wipe is a not needed or wanted from my standpoint. Yes, we have people who pillar spam, we’ve done it as well to mark territory and keep certain people from building near us when we notice them encroaching... some for good reasons and some probably not. We’ve also had to deal with people blocking the entrances to the bay. But you deal with it and hopefully make nice. Its worked for us.  

I think the answer is more complicated though for other concerns  

I believe any structure less than 4 foundations/ceilings WITHOUT walls and a door should have a excellerated decay time of 24 hours including EVERYTHING inside even chests, crafting stations and tames. That will protect the small bases and taming pins we put up randomly near animal spawns while getting rid of platform blockage and pillar/foundation spamming. It would force actual stucture builds they have to visit

Edited by Vhena

19 minutes ago, Vhena said:

My Partner and I are a 2 person company and we have 2 bases; one on a lawless island and another that we rent since neither of us has the dedicated time for long sea journeys to find claimed land. We are lucky to have some good folks around us and made allies and friends in both zones. We don’t want to give up our lawless and a wipe is a not needed or wanted from my standpoint. Yes, we have people who pillar spam, we’ve done it as well to mark territory and keep certain people from building near us when we notice them encroaching... some for good reasons and some probably not. We’ve also had to deal with people blocking the entrances to the bay. But you deal with it and hopefully make nice. Its worked for us.  

I think the answer is more complicated though for other concerns  

I believe any structure less than 4 foundations/ceilings WITHOUT walls and a door should have a excellerated decay time of 24 hours including EVERYTHING inside even chests, crafting stations and tames. That will protect the small bases and taming pins we put up randomly near animal spawns while getting rid of platform blockage and pillar/foundation spamming. It would force actual stucture builds they have to visit

Might I suggest:

Remember that Behemoth Gate only walls (e.g. ones that aren't properly anchored onto real walls) would be single item structures

So you put a pillar beside a metal, oil, or other valuable node and it keeps re spawning for EVERYONE.

You dont and EVERYONE builds there stupid hut on it.

Its called Lawless for a reason. Dont have a claim flag? Bummer find a spot somewhere else, first come first serve.