UniversalChip

Lawless foundations and pillars

When will Dev's take a stab at fixing foundation and pillar issues in lawless?  I am in D4 on hydra and there is one company that has placed pillars or foundations over half the island including inside my companies base area.  they have a huge area they are building in and have started to place foundations to block everyone else from building in the lawless islands.  

Could Dev's implement a foundation and pillar wipe inside the lawless zones?

Wipe any pillar or foundation that has less than 2 structures attached to it?

What do you all think?

the other possibility is to have them work just like the other islands..block resource spawn when you build within a certain distance ,
suddenly people won't be so eager to spam foundations everywhere.
of course the down side is that it would take some time to clear out the old blocks everywhere , plus it could result in a new trolling system
perhaps a wipe of lawless islands? with plenty of warning so people can store stuff on ships etc..

its a difficult one as no matter which path they take , someone is going to complain its unfair (and it kinda is , with fewer claimable spots on islands the "mine!" mentality goes into overdrive)

A wipe isn't the fix, in not one bit.... As soon as you did that said offenders would move right back in and place the foundations with in a matter of hours then your back to square one...

There needs to be a core block system, limit 1 per player with a distance of say like a 20 yard radius, in an company you can only build the core inside flag radius (say 100 yard) or suffer elevated environmental damage; be it a constant degrade drain, or a penalty of like 40% health reduction until covered by a company radius... If you were solo and built outside of your radius you would suffer the same elevated damage.

This would be a good balance for people who want to go solo and don't need the use of a Company. A Co. can only place 1 flag for every 5 members up to 50, and then 1 flag every 10 members. If the number is not maintained then a random flag will de-spawn in 24 real time hours and notice is given to the clan/owner. This will give the Co. a chance to relocate a flag from a less desirable area if members cant be obtained. It also keeps the Co's in check from making servers Co. owned and the game unplayable... I'm not trying to go into how this drives the Wildcards motto of pushing servers to unofficial so we can save money. I'm just stating the obvious shutting down of valued land by a few killing the game for many, a mechanic that has ruined Ark servers and made previous sentence true.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:16 AM, Derfel said:

the other possibility is to have them work just like the other islands..block resource spawn when you build within a certain distance ,
suddenly people won't be so eager to spam foundations everywhere.
of course the down side is that it would take some time to clear out the old blocks everywhere , plus it could result in a new trolling system
perhaps a wipe of lawless islands? with plenty of warning so people can store stuff on ships etc..

its a difficult one as no matter which path they take , someone is going to complain its unfair (and it kinda is , with fewer claimable spots on islands the "mine!" mentality goes into overdrive)

Yeah, they made it work like other islands... that encouraged it more.  So no, turning off resources on all lawless islands is not the answer

13 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

Yeah, they made it work like other islands... that encouraged it more.  So no, turning off resources on all lawless islands is not the answer

I agree. In this day and age they wouldn't do it out of spite they would do it because its cool or fun.. Or better yet because they can..... and THAT is the root of the problem.

I agree - 7 day warning  to wipe lawless, with a 3 day cycle to wipe continuing on.  idiots building huge structures, or beast gate spamming to contain 75% of island has no place in a lawless server.  Not to mention the foundation/pillar spam.  Its like a horde of rats clinging to 1 piece of cheese.  Early days it was nice to visit, grab some resources, and maybe a couple of tames..now its pathetic.  Wipe and a 3 day recurring wipe, or no buidling at all.  Or just turn  it into a normal zone.  (PVE Recommendation) M10,L11,N7, and L9.....pathetic.

• Like 1

I avoid lawless servers like they have the black plague. My ships have gotten stuck on non rendering docks, the lag is so intense when I try to go on an island. I'd rather pay tax or go to a freeport.

• Like 1

lol wipe lawless.. where are the most player? ... wipe claimed land then...

foundation spread and what about claim spread huh

lawless 50 grid and claim 150+ more ppl in lawless than claim but yea all problem come from lawless

Edited by haseo
  • Like 1

Oh im sure when they implement the new claim system and having to pay upkeep or whatever gonna be a whole lotta land coming up for grabs. People are lazy afterall. Most people aren't gonna wanna run to each flag they toss down to maintain it.

Fix claim system, and lawless will drain like it's supposed to.

And people walling off entire islands isn't just a lawless problem.  There's just as many walled off claimed islands.

Eh unless they impose a limit to claim flags its gonna be a never ending battle. Those who are on right after patch is gonna go through and drop flags like no tomorrow. Hopefully we wont run into an overlap issue again. 

uhh...they are 2 different zone types.  And i could care less about people walling off areas on the claim that their flag holds.  My concern is the uncontrollable building on lawless islands.  If its allowed, fixing claim system wont matter.  It wont drain.  Turn it into a normal zone if anything.  The original concept was fine.  Visit, grab a few resources, maybe a couple tames...then leave.

4 minutes ago, peerpressure said:

uhh...they are 2 different zone types.  And i could care less about people walling off areas on the claim that their flag holds.  My concern is the uncontrollable building on lawless islands.  If its allowed, fixing claim system wont matter.  It wont drain.  Turn it into a normal zone if anything.  The original concept was fine.  Visit, grab a few resources, maybe a couple tames...then leave.

Honestly, if it was set up so that you had to designate 50% of your claimed land over X amount of claims (5? 10? Some random formula involving the # of the people in the company and # of claims?) as buildable by anyone, and whoever built there first got protections like not being able to be kicked off as long as they were active within as long as the company's claim timer was, and that whoever built there first was the only company that could build there, with the exception of the actual landowner, and, imho just as important, if the actual landowners claims go up for the owner's inactivity, the tenant  automatically becomes the new owner...there would be a lot less people in lawless, and a lot more people 'renting' claim space.

This would incentivize people to rent, would still allow people to protect their 'important' spots like harbors and resources, and if it was just a flat 10% tax, would provide a small bit of passive income for the people who do hold the land.

This would allow lawless to go away and become more claimable area, since the overall purpose of it originally was to be somewhere to build something better than a raft to find your own claim, and now that you can get a ramshackle sloop in freeport, the only purpose was for peole who couldn't find land.

Somedays I feel like the lawless people got it right. They never had to deal with the claim flag headaches that the rest of us did. But the foundations and pillaring is just insane. Then I ran into some Asian tribes that literally tried to trap my lvl 70 bear when it fell off a cliff into their "area".

Unfortunately they forgot about the ability to back up a ship to the behemoth wall and climbing picks to get over and make my bear board my own ship. I laughed that day and said Douchebags as I watched them stand there probably pissed off.

My biggest issue is the amount of docks that are laying waste. Lately my ships have been rubberbanding off of them if I get to close to try to anchor. I've had to demolish 3 brigs now due to the lag and "stuck" on a random large dry dock. I try to demo stuff as much as possible if I happen to pull in.

I also understand both sides of the coin. If I had to start all over again. I wouldn't want to "rent" land from anyone since they have the ability to turn a flag to company only. I've watched a few people lose buildings doing just that to people. 

I gave away a buncha parcels of land week 2 of the game to nice individuals that were struggling but back then I pulled flags up for them. I put in a suggestion they should add in some tiny islands that are "rentable" via gold. You pay so much and you get a plot or a building to live in and a dock. They've done it in multiple games now.

I mean face it. In real life you rent in the beginning of your adulthood. But the end goal is to always have a place of your own. 

Really for the "40,000" people that the game is supposed to hold per server type. 30k of those 40k should be able to have their own land. Anything less then that well it leads to frustration and people finding new games to play. 

I hear ya.  I dont think a happy medium is available in lawless..."if it can happen, it will happen"  the allowance to run rampant with building wont go away in these zones.  its sad 😞

Edited by peerpressure
wrong post

I don't think they'll clear out either. People are now established there. They've heard the horror stories of claim flag issues from everyone else. I mean if I had a giant base built on lawless land. I probably wouldn't be to keen on moving either. But people are right. Most of the population that is left is living in lawless. I look at the two regions we have claim areas. One area has maybe 3 people log in. The other maybe 10 people. But if you hit a lawless area you see the numbers spike up to 20-40 people on consistently.

guess we shall see 🙂  Freeport vendor for me...hit 5 lawless zones all with same result. 

Edited by peerpressure

I thought they were supposed to be implementing Hurricanes. Or some natural force aside from the cyclones. Would love to see a Big Hurricane go through and lay waste to all the thatch structres like foundations.

Or better yet a giant volcano to erupt and melt things. Earthquakes? Something?

Edited by Sadie Blackhawk

43 minutes ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

I don't think they'll clear out either. People are now established there. They've heard the horror stories of claim flag issues from everyone else. I mean if I had a giant base built on lawless land. I probably wouldn't be to keen on moving either. But people are right. Most of the population that is left is living in lawless. I look at the two regions we have claim areas. One area has maybe 3 people log in. The other maybe 10 people. But if you hit a lawless area you see the numbers spike up to 20-40 people on consistently.

My company of four has built 3 Bases and 4 Outposts entirely in lawless, because the claim system is just not worth the headache, but we need the material variety to make legendary and hopefully soon mythics.  Most of the people on lawless aren't assholes, there's a few that are and yeah, they can screw up an island, but generally everybody else works together to make their lives hell.  I see a lot of times where there are fence posts and other clearly protective additions over the best resource points, and there are often ladders and other infrastructure to make it easier for everybody to get to resources.  Meanwhile, on Claim land, people build ladders to resources and put locked doors on them.  

That being said, we would move to claim land, if the system was cleaned up.  We're not going to devote 3-4 weeks of effort to find a claim that expired because somebody quit the game, which is the only reason land frees up in PVE.  It's not worth the effort compared to what we have right now in lawless.  However, it wouldn't be an immediate next day sort of thing.  IF the claim system is cleaned up, then over the course of a month, people will leave.

The most important thing, in my mind, for the claim system is that the "resting point" needs to have a significant amount of unclaimed land.  Right now, everybody who talks about how easy it is to get land says that you just spend a few weeks sailing around looking for available space, but that's really not the way it should be.  Claiming land should have enough of a cost, be it in either Direct cost (gold) or indirect cost (protection reduction), or Threat-based upkeep (Each Claim gets attacked by a hydra once a month and you gotta go chase it off) that players don't want to claim every inch of space.  There should be at least 50% of the land that CAN be claimed that isn't, and that's the shared space for gathering etc.  Sure, the best nodes will be under claims, but most land should be neutral, not owned by anybody.

No its not easy to claim land. Ive said it time and time again on the forums. I do wander all over and occasionally check others flags. Not so much for my company but just to see how things are. What I have found is flags that are in the negatives but still can't contest them. I don't envy new players and im thankful my former company mates found land day 2 before they all quit the game.

30 minutes ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

No its not easy to claim land. Ive said it time and time again on the forums. I do wander all over and occasionally check others flags. Not so much for my company but just to see how things are. What I have found is flags that are in the negatives but still can't contest them. I don't envy new players and im thankful my former company mates found land day 2 before they all quit the game.

The idea that it's ok that the only way to get land is to carve it out of the decayed corpse of a player who threw in the towel is fundamentally sad.  So yeah, time for a change.

834910_screenshots_20190223153414_1.thumb.jpg.7f16d75d4367e2c4324a8d386efc60ed.jpg

Its a real problem.
server lag inducing, Immersion breaking, and just ultimately pointless- as ive broken into many bases that have this kind of placement. theres always a hole somewhere