Sign in to follow this  
Writhes

Unhealthy foreign interaction.

In a game like this it's very natural for conflict to occur and occasionally this conflict can be resolved through diplomatic means. Anything can happen when there is communication.

Obviously, when players can't communicate diplomacy is off the table and this is often the case when players from different countries speaking languages foreign to each other are put together in this game. It seems that often people become resentful and mistrusting of literally anyone that they can't communicate with. I honestly think that the mentality this game fosters within players toward foreign players is very unhealthy and negative.

I don't expect to see a solution but I don't think I'm the only person to notice this.

Edited by Writhes

10 minutes ago, Writhes said:

In a game like this it's very natural for conflict to occur and occasionally this conflict can be resolved through diplomatic means. Anything can happen when there is communication.

Obviously, when players can't communicate diplomacy is off the table and this is often the case when players from different countries speaking languages foreign to each other are put together in this game. It seems that often people become resentful and mistrusting of literally anyone that they can't communicate with. I honestly think that the mentality this game fosters within players toward foreign players is very unhealthy and negative.

I don't expect to see a solution but I don't think I'm the only person to notice this.

US President Ronald Reagan often said of the Cold War "We don't mistrust each other because we're armed. We're armed because we mistrust each other."

What you are observing is fundamental to human nature, in that sense it is not solveable as an issue ingame unless the developers wish to include translation software into the chat functionality, something I would be shocked to see happen.

A would agree... well is there was any communication in a game : ))

I mean, I always trying to chat while long journey. I always try to ask a resources question if I hunt them. I ask about some game issues. And guess how many answers I got so far?

NOT A SINGLE ONE.

Just talking to myself in a chat. And that's usual situation for me.

I think - part of a problem here, ppl don't know I you chat to them or you answer to a guy with a mic. And yet ppl don't know about any social activity in grid. What companies there, where are they, what language ppl speaking. I can "esc" and check how many ppl are there in a server. And are they in my island, or neighbor one, or it just player do transit my zone... who knows! : )

Yes. True but so far - that is with every game I have played in my life. It’s just that it gets monitored better there. 

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

US President Ronald Reagan often said of the Cold War "We don't mistrust each other because we're armed. We're armed because we mistrust each other."

What you are observing is fundamental to human nature, in that sense it is not solveable as an issue ingame unless the developers wish to include translation software into the chat functionality, something I would be shocked to see happen.

One of the things that I love about my grid is that we have a couple people on a bit of the time, who can translate Mandarin and are happy to relay messages between those of us who can't read it, and the small Chinese company that lives there.

Even among english speaking people passing through, theres not a lot of conversation. If we're around, theres a few of us that respond to hails in general chat - its usually pretty quiet. The majority of the time I could set up a bot to respond with "Next grid south" for people asking about bears, "2 grids north" for people asking for salt, and "SW island beaches, mostly on the N side" to people asking about crystal. You usually get a 'Thanks' and thats it.

If I'm traveling, especially if I'm crossing a full sector in crappy wind, I'd much rather have people to talk to and entertain myself on the journey, than just treat it like a single player game and only use the global chat as a travel guide.

The thing with voice/local chat that bugs me is how tiny the range is, and the fact that most people ask you something in voice chat as they're sprinting through, and by the time you respond, they're out of range. Its like damn, man, stop a second and let me respond, probably gonna make finding those metal nodes you asked about a lot easier.

Edited by MeatSammich
  • Like 1

Completely agree - the level of Racism I've witnessed and heard in this game is beyond anything I've EVER seen in gaming... or in real life -_-

One of the things I love about these games is that you can interact with people from nations who you would never normally communicate with.

Yes, it is sometimes a real PITA but it is sometimes really nice to see other cultural perspectives on things. I remember giving a little area to some Thai people in Ark who couldn't speak English and struggled with the game (everyone thinking they were Chinese) but we got on really well despite the language barrier. I honestly think that, not only is this good for the game, it is good for the whole world; bringing people with different views on things together and helping them understand each-other's perspective. 

Yes, I have seen racist comments but it is normally from the losing side of a raid when they have little else to lose.

Talk to people regardless of nationality and things will always get better 🙂

• Like 2