Pegarex

My atlas wish list

So, let me start out by saying that I love this game to death and that the devs are doing great work with the rewords and bug fixes as of late. But one thing seems to be popping up again and again in every review I see. A little bit of a lack of content. I know there is a huge content drop coming later this month, but I have a long list of things I would love to see in the game, From items to skills to loads of things in between. 

Items!

First thing I would want to see is either a harpoon gun or a harpoon ammo for the swivel gun. Essentially what it would do is shoot a harpoon with a chain and if you stick another boat with it, that boat is now slowed down dramatically as it has to drag your slow and lazy but along. Maybe it could take your ship weight into account when slowing down the target, and the more harpoons stuck in the planks the harder it would be for the enemy to get away.

Next is a bit obvious, A crossbow. If you guys go though with the rework to guns to make them worse for naked players and better for armored, then it would make sense to have a second tier bow. How I imagine it is the weapon having a single skill check when you cock the thing, and then the projectile would fly slightly faster and do slightly more damage. Not enough to be game breaking but enough where it is noticeable.

This one may be a bit controversial for all the wrong reasons, but more and better furniture. I know there are loads of mods for this now, but since I mostly play on official this doesn't help me. Things like rugs, stain glass windows, chairs, desks, the whole shebang.

A new unlocked peaceable tool from the captaining tree. Call it the navigation table or something. Essentially a BIG map spread across a messy desk. The function of the tool would be that you could select a spot to way point on the map and then their would be a big glowy indicator of the way point for anyone on the steering wheel. Maybe as an added bonus you could set it so unanchored company ships are always highlighted or something so you could find your friends when exploring. 

Changes!

The big thing is you guys keep on talking about how you want to discourage people from turret spamming. There are 2 big ways I could see working this out. The first is having "dead zones" around cannons where another cannon can't be placed, forcing them to be spaced out and making it harder to cram as many cannons as you can on a single ship. The other way (which im expecting people to hate the idea of) would be to have cannons work in a sort of "chain" and have slight cool downs between each cannon firing. The best way to imagine this is lets say your boat is set to passive and you have an enemy in range. Once you turn your NPC's to agro, instead of hearing a big BANG and all your cannons firing in one big shotgun effect, you would hear each one individually fire one after another with a fraction of a second between each shot. This would make the optimal amount of cannons per side to be however cannons you can fire in the amount of time it takes for the first cannon to reload. Then for larger ships like the Galleon, each deck would be able to fire independently, so you would be able to fire 6 chains of guns at once (one for each deck) instead of only 1. As an added bonus of this, It would also make human crews more valued then NPC crews.

The only other change I would really want to see is an increased part limit for ships. I spent all 400 extra parts on my brig to make it look super fancy from the outside, but on the inside it's mostly empty. I'd understand if it's not unlimited parts for optimization, but It would be neat if the ship part limit went up with some other stat, say every 1 level of accommodation gives you 5 more parts to play with. This would pair really well with the furniture I mentioned above.

Skills!

These are pretty spot on as is. I would say having a skill in piracy where you could collect flotsams by crashing into them with your boat would be neat, but I can see why it's not the best idea.

If you read them all, Thanks for your time. I am interested in hearing what others have to say about my ideas and hearing about the Ideas others have.

About guns in a ship... ppl are tired of "shotgun" designes. Especially in PVP where a Sloop can just outshot a Galley. So the idea is simple. Limit guns to gunports. There must be also top deck, stern and nose gunports as well.

There are descriptions of old age sailboats in wiki. For example

In the 18th century and most of the 19th, a sloop-of-war in the Royal Navy was a warship with a single gun deck that carried up to eighteen guns. The rating system covered all vessels with 20 guns and above

No louvers sloops with 40 heavy guns on it. Besides there were 2 games before where players should construct and create their own battle machines and racing cars. And there were no creative approach in those games. Players just found the most efficient (and ugly of course) design, put it on game guides and all creativity is done.

But (back to Atlas) before that, there must be a bit more boats in a game. 

-----

About mele and ranges weapon well... I just say it all useless compare to you brave bear tame. It's like that. You spend days creating your good quality weapon, create ammunition, and slowly go to wild nature. Dying for few times and do naked run to your corpse afraid of it's being stolen. Or you can mount your bear and do fast and comfort travel - facing whole animals prides and packs. I don't know if it works in PvP but... well you can carry a swivel with your bear...

-----

I play a lot. And... I always see thing and think - there could be better or different way to design it. For example, those discoveries. You just hunt them and got some points and max lvl. And that's it. But what if you find all discoveries in a grid and get as a reward list of all resources you can find here (or even active radar skill allowing you to see types of resources in a map - same as herbalists and miners in WOW).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, George Catcher said:

About guns in a ship... ppl are tired of "shotgun" designes. Especially in PVP where a Sloop can just outshot a Galley. So the idea is simple. Limit guns to gunports. There must be also top deck, stern and nose gunports as well.

There are descriptions of old age sailboats in wiki. For example

That would be interesting. I definitely am sick of the bare bones meta with using all your peaces just to add extra "armor". The issue with only allowing guns in gun ports is that right now the only weapon allowed inside of gun ports is small cannons, but the devs could easily change that if they see fit.

• Like 1

Even the medium cannons shouldn't swivel inside the gunport like they do, the entire gun should move left and right to aim on their carts. I know it wouldn't do much for the game play so it probably won't happen but I would love to see the guns recoil when shot back into the ship and have the pulleys to repull/preposition the gun back out of the gunport but that is just more for period accuacy. Definitely think the big cannons should be allowed to snap into the gunport, if anything to the galleon with the larger gunports. The biggest reason I have stern cannons is for hunting SOTD. It's fairly easy to aggro them and have them chase while you whittle them while taking minimal damage. Doing a broadside just makes you take a lot more damage and eat your resources up on repairs. I wish they would just remove the SOTD. Add fully manned NPC ships of the same ship types we have. Have merchant vessels, Royal Navy or other Navies of the past and let us go around sinking Navy and merchant ships. Then you can salvage those wrecks, they auto demolish after a few hours. Also having islands inhabited by npc merchant/navies with forts etc you can siege and loot. 

Doing a broadside just makes you take a lot more damage and eat your resources up on repairs.

I've tried the "real life" way btw... just a Brig with 6 guns in 6 gunports (I later put 2 more guns each side top deck). So the way it happens - I keep for 1000 fib/tch/woods and 200 metall in resource box. I keep 6 planks and 6 gunports in storage. I hunt SotD. If there is a one that below 15lvl - all goes well. Brig can handle that amount of damage... there will probably be one or two leaks during the fight and that's it.

If SotD is around 20 lvl well... by the end of fight you will miss a guns in top deck, you will miss some walls and railings on board and also you will have some holes in deck. You will experience some planks destroyed during the battle - so all going crazy and scary.

In most cases it's just 1-2 SotD's per raid, then you back to the port for repairment and resources refill (unless you hunt lvl 1-3 SotDs) 

If SotD is lvl 25 and higher... I guess that's the work for Galley, or for different ways to destroy it (armored cover by roofs, shotgun design, kiting with large stern canons etc).

My wish list so far:

Crossbows
Stone Crossbow Bolts
Stone Flame Crossbow bolts
Metal Crossbow Bolts
Metal Flame Crossbow bolts
Metal Arrows
Metal Flame Arrows
Crew repairs everything
Irrigate Cooking
Temperature Regulation
Desalination
Lemon Age
Fountain of Youth Not on Power Stone Islands
Tamable Alphas
Desert Cloth Armor
Refill Lanterns, Instead of Repairing at Smithy
Less Typhoons.  Not So Many Grouped Together
Preserving Bin
Preserve Meat Without Salting It
Multi Vitamins
Use Blueprints Without Skill
Max Ship Level 50
Max Player Level 100
SotD Don't Attack In Typhoon
Make Compass More Readable

• Like 1

BTW any1 actually use Dinghy? 

I rarely see attachments-ports to the big ships and I like never-ever see the boat on the shore. I mean, what's the point of using it? You swim faster, you can handle cold arctic waters with just 30 fortitude...

...it might be a good idea to add some storage on the boat. So you could park it on the shore. Go gather resouces, and put all of them to Dinghy. And after you done - drive a boat to your ship and put resources from the port to a storage then.

50 minutes ago, George Catcher said:

BTW any1 actually use Dinghy? 

I rarely see attachments-ports to the big ships and I like never-ever see the boat on the shore. I mean, what's the point of using it? You swim faster, you can handle cold arctic waters with just 30 fortitude...

...it might be a good idea to add some storage on the boat. So you could park it on the shore. Go gather resouces, and put all of them to Dinghy. And after you done - drive a boat to your ship and put resources from the port to a storage then.

I think there is an issue with the dinghy where it will just fall off your boat when trying to cross over server boarders. Plus the whole issue of people wanting to make ugly giant striped boats with nothing on them but 1000 cannons and armor planks. I do love the idea of the dinghy being used for cargo collection though.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Draalei said:

My wish list so far:

Crossbows
Stone Crossbow Bolts
Stone Flame Crossbow bolts
Metal Crossbow Bolts
Metal Flame Crossbow bolts
Metal Arrows
Metal Flame Arrows
Crew repairs everything
Irrigate Cooking
Temperature Regulation
Desalination
Lemon Age
Fountain of Youth Not on Power Stone Islands
Tamable Alphas
Desert Cloth Armor
Refill Lanterns, Instead of Repairing at Smithy
Less Typhoons.  Not So Many Grouped Together
Preserving Bin
Preserve Meat Without Salting It
Multi Vitamins
Use Blueprints Without Skill
Max Ship Level 50
Max Player Level 100
SotD Don't Attack In Typhoon
Make Compass More Readable

for some reason, metal arrows completely slipped my mind. Defiantly would be great. I also hate the fact that the NPC crew men only repair ship planks too, Its only half of my boat and since ship of the damned (or any NPC) seem to aim for the center of mass, they are hardly ever damaged.

I also forgot to add this to my original post, but the draw distance should really be increased. You can't see structures with cannons on shore unless you are basically within their firing range. And with increased draw distance, you could also completely rework the cyclones. Imagine their only being 4 or 5 per rainy grid, and with winds so powerful that you would always be drawn to the closest one. Triple the size of the cyclones, and if you actually get stuck inside of one, your ship is banged up a lot more then it is already. With this system, you still will see them and know they are there, you still have the chance of getting stuck in one, you still can avoid them, but they are just a whole lot more terrifying... 

and also whirlpools. Not during storms, but just another hazard you have to keep an eye out and avoid 

Also about your idea for the skills. I would love to see something similar to the "dinghy deck" where you can hang nets off both sides of the boat somewhere along its length and run the nets into the flotsam to collect it. Throwing the hook while at speed usually leads to it arcing backwards and it takes some practice to actually hit them. Obviously being able to just run into with the ship would be easier. Could auto place stuff into the bookshelf/larder/resource chest possibly.

I like the idea of harpoons with ropes but more for whaling. I could be ok with somehow using grapples to slow a boat down but if you don't tie them off (this would require new spots to tie it off to on the boat) you get ripped off the boat (assuming the boat is going quicker than you. The other boat can also run back and forth with swords hacking them off to stay free. If you don't have enough tied off obviously this would put a ton of strain on a single rope or even a few leading to them breaking assuming is Galleon being hooked and a brig or smaller trying to stop it the galleon has a lot more weight behind its speed. But then you are just tying yourself off to the side of a boat in broadside range... would that really be a smart idea?

I agree on the furniture and other things to really expand on the building side. Assuming this is more likely to be addressed by modders though.

Player level max is already 100 btw once you do all the tedious exploring. That needs to be addressed the current system is a bit bland and boring. Way to much effort to get level cap. Ships definitely need to be increased. The unofficial I am on has a max level ot 70 atm, it REALLY slows down after 50 leveling ships though. 

Tameable alphas is also likely to never happen.

I have had lots of idea but haven't grouped them all up into a single spot. May have to work on doing that. Definitely like some of these through this thread, although not all of them.

2 hours ago, Thor Ragnarock said:

Also about your idea for the skills. I would love to see something similar to the "dinghy deck" where you can hang nets off both sides of the boat somewhere along its length and run the nets into the flotsam to collect it. Throwing the hook while at speed usually leads to it arcing backwards and it takes some practice to actually hit them. Obviously being able to just run into with the ship would be easier. Could auto place stuff into the bookshelf/larder/resource chest possibly.

I like the idea of harpoons with ropes but more for whaling. I could be ok with somehow using grapples to slow a boat down but if you don't tie them off (this would require new spots to tie it off to on the boat) you get ripped off the boat (assuming the boat is going quicker than you. The other boat can also run back and forth with swords hacking them off to stay free. If you don't have enough tied off obviously this would put a ton of strain on a single rope or even a few leading to them breaking assuming is Galleon being hooked and a brig or smaller trying to stop it the galleon has a lot more weight behind its speed. But then you are just tying yourself off to the side of a boat in broadside range... would that really be a smart idea?

I agree on the furniture and other things to really expand on the building side. Assuming this is more likely to be addressed by modders though.

Player level max is already 100 btw once you do all the tedious exploring. That needs to be addressed the current system is a bit bland and boring. Way to much effort to get level cap. Ships definitely need to be increased. The unofficial I am on has a max level ot 70 atm, it REALLY slows down after 50 leveling ships though. 

Tameable alphas is also likely to never happen.

I have had lots of idea but haven't grouped them all up into a single spot. May have to work on doing that. Definitely like some of these through this thread, although not all of them.

I Think there might be a system already in place for being able to get alpha's from breeding, which an another issue on it's own. But for the most part I don't think alpha's should be obtainable by players. In my eyes they are there to server the purpose of a mini-boss in a way, just a way to keep some parts of the game interesting.

as for the level cap, it's not that hard to increase your level cap a little bit. power stones give you 2 to 5 levels per, I believe they are scripted level sets and don't use discovery points, but I could be very wrong. Whales on the other hand, I know the very first one you kill gives you 50 discovery points, which depending on what your level cap is before you kill it, can be two levels. 

3 minutes ago, sand man said:

My wish         ADD A FUCKING OFFLINE MODE        thankyou.

You could probably do this on your own, and just run the dedicated server file on your LAN network and connect via IP to "192.168.1.1"... truth be told, if they did do a single player version of the game, it would be just that but automated for you so all you need to do is click a button. I do agree that they should have offered it as an option though. 

I would like to have "Agent Orange" to get rid of the bushes/ huge Trees on the mountains in tropical/equatorial. It is a pain in the ass to climb there/ spot for treasure.

Even K view doest help 80% of the time

I dig this topic to not create a new one.

---

- You know what really weird? We have just one pole on planet. I mean - all others biomes works fine, we have and equator in center, then separate south and north deserts, south and north temperate, south and north tundra a-a-a-a-a-a-and... it sais south and north pole but, they connected, so if you hit southern border of A15. you go A1... I know it fantasy world with it's rules but, for a guy who love astronomy and did a lot if navigation in flight sims... things pretty strange : )

---

- I found really gr8 way to improve far sailing experience. Before departure, I open youtube, turn on this vid with half of vol:

And then GO.

I understand - the idea of Atlas music was to make and epic tunes as in Pirates of Caribbean. But I personally think we need a lot of THAT KIND of atmosphere and relaxing music to explore the world.

Edited by George Catcher