Sign in to follow this  
Roadster

Luring SOTD's and knocking victims unconscious

I really enjoy this game and can take all the current flaws for granted.

But at the moment (in grid F12, EU PVE) a group is luring SOTD's to my neighbours base and it's destroying all their ships  and buildings. Besides that, they are also able to stun everyone unconscious who is trying to help or is taking a look what is going on. Including their tames. This way everyone and especially the victims / owners of the base being attacked are held captive while the griefers have all the time in the world to keep doing what they do. How is this even an allowed mechanic on PVE?

Imgur album

I realise and understand you're responsible for building a defense against these SOTD's tactics (although I thought this was fixed in one of the latest patches).

What I don't understand is, and currently there is no defensive tactic against,  the ability to attack other players and their tames by knocking them unconscious.

What's the purpose of such a player vs player attack in a PVE environment? Am I missing something?

Video of the attack (in the end me and my tame were knocked unconscious):

How are you supposed to counter these kind of attacks on PVE?

So, apparently the overhand 2h mace swing still deals torpor damage, just not health damage, on PVE?  Yeah, I'm guessing that's unintended. If anyone else was on, on my island, I'd test it. Will have to try later.

While its smart to build defenses against the SotD luring, it is still griefing, and their have been reports of at least a few bans regarding it. At least you got some good clear shots of their names. I'd go through the video and screencap every shot that shows their names, and submit a ticket about it.

Edited by MeatSammich

I just signed on to the forums now to post about that very issue.  Our company and several others have been plagued by some clowns luring the SotDs in close, then having them obliterate all our ships and our buildings.  Weeks worth of rare mats were either destroyed or claimed by them after the storage boxes were wasted.  I didn't know about the two handed mace thing though.  The company that's been the most trouble for our little neck of the woods only shows up as "??????1"...

It's a shame that the same companys and the same handful of players are running amok chasing away a player base trying to enjoy the game as intended, and nothing is being done in the moment.

I understand Jat stated they're trying to prioritize fixing the exploits instead of the time it takes to chase griefers, but their efforts to patch the exploits are taking way too long and are clearly not working (yet)

Send Polly to ban these fools, wipe their progress, and make it public so at least there's a fear of some sort of consequences. 

This is a situation of opportunity. Currently there's no risk to griefing, they know nothings going to happen, it's easy to do, and there's a huge reward of looted mats. 

Please, do something devs!

We actually spent quite a bit of time closing off our cove with gates and walls (yes, in the water) just so no one cal lure a SOTD into our base and grief us. This has been going on since the game released. Spend a week (actually took two of us a total of 40 hours each) to close it off, itll save you some tears. Even if you dont have a cove, you can build walls around your harbor. 

28 minutes ago, Poot Pootington said:

It's a shame that the same companys and the same handful of players are running amok chasing away a player base trying to enjoy the game as intended, and nothing is being done in the moment.

I understand Jat stated they're trying to prioritize fixing the exploits instead of the time it takes to chase griefers, but their efforts to patch the exploits are taking way too long and are clearly not working (yet)

Send Polly to ban these fools, wipe their progress, and make it public so at least there's a fear of some sort of consequences. 

This is a situation of opportunity. Currently there's no risk to griefing, they know nothings going to happen, it's easy to do, and there's a huge reward of looted mats. 

Please, do something devs!

A good portion of the griefers are people who are bored with the game, but just play because they have nothing better to do. They show how pissed off they are by making other people more miserable while playing, than they are. If they're not having fun while playing, then no one gets to have fun, damn it! They essentially see how far they can go, and how many people they screw with, before, and if, they do get banned. Once they're banned, they move on to something else, and it doesn't bother them because, in their mind, 'the game sucked anyway'

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

A good portion of the griefers are people who are bored with the game, but just play because they have nothing better to do. They show how pissed off they are by making other people more miserable while playing, than they are. If they're not having fun while playing, then no one gets to have fun, damn it! They essentially see how far they can go, and how many people they screw with, before, and if, they do get banned. Once they're banned, they move on to something else, and it doesn't bother them because, in their mind, 'the game sucked anyway'

Yes I was thinking the same myself, people are fed up and whilst most are malicious like the Chinese "winter is coming" not everyone is and people do as you have described.

They are fed up themselves, usually they've had it done to them and thought why not? I'm not going to play anymore and i've paid money so lets give it a try and if I get banned well what the hell, I'm finished with it anyways.

I've only encountered nice people on my island but I see the community becoming toxic by the day, it's not good.

54 minutes ago, Poot Pootington said:

I wouldn't say that there is no risk.  For all we know the Devs could be archiving all these complaints and compiling all the data on every griefer that gets reported for later.  Banning someone right now (while a set-back) isn't the end of the world for a lot of these types of people, they'll simply create a new character/account and power-level up a new toon in a week or two.

Once the Dev's have a more permanent and punishing way of dealing with these types of people, then they can go back through their list and bring the Ban Hammer down on them all.

25 minutes ago, CoopedUp said:

I wouldn't say that there is no risk.  For all we know the Devs could be archiving all these complaints and compiling all the data on every griefer that gets reported for later.  Banning someone right now (while a set-back) isn't the end of the world for a lot of these types of people, they'll simply create a new character/account and power-level up a new toon in a week or two.

Once the Dev's have a more permanent and punishing way of dealing with these types of people, then they can go back through their list and bring the Ban Hammer down on them all.

True

"For all we know..." Key phrase though.  Bethesda banned players and it ended up as headlines. Players then knew they'd get banned for accessing exploits.  Ban these fools and make it public. 

And I'd argue that having to buy the game again and start all over is a pretty significant consequence.  If they're just bored as mentioned above, then good.  Now they're forced to move on because they're not willing to buy the game again, and they'll go torture players in some other game.

44 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

I've only encountered nice people on my island but I see the community becoming toxic by the day, it's not good.

I agree. We also have a bunch of dedicated friendly small groups of people on our island. Helping visitors and newcomers on their way. 

Some even tried to defend against those griefers because the company which was being attacked were initially not online at that time. It's really demoralizing that nothing worked because of the exploits(?) used. 

These types of unintended mechanics with such a big impact need to be handled swiftly by the devs, otherwise even the dedicated players will eventually leave the game.

Edited by Roadster
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Poot Pootington said:

And I'd argue that having to buy the game again and start all over is a pretty significant consequence.  If they're just bored as mentioned above, then good.  Now they're forced to move on because they're not willing to buy the game again, and they'll go torture players in some other game.

I don't think they are required to buy the game again is what I'm thinking.  When I first started playing the game I had to copy the "Save" data over from one computer to another so that I could play my original Pathfinder on either computer, so depending on how the game is written or was patched your Pathfinder may not be linked to any specific online account.  So they may be only able to ban a specific "Pathfinder" and not the entire Steam account, thus they could just have to delete some files or re-install the game, then make a new Pathfinder and start over.

@Jatheish

@Dollie

Again and again.  This is a MAJOR GAME BREAKING ISSUE. Please spend a moment and address the community with your plan here.  It's been all over this forum and not a single response. 

2 hours ago, CoopedUp said:

I don't think they are required to buy the game again is what I'm thinking.  When I first started playing the game I had to copy the "Save" data over from one computer to another so that I could play my original Pathfinder on either computer, so depending on how the game is written or was patched your Pathfinder may not be linked to any specific online account.  So they may be only able to ban a specific "Pathfinder" and not the entire Steam account, thus they could just have to delete some files or re-install the game, then make a new Pathfinder and start over.

Its attached to your steam ID.  They would need a new steam account and thus a new copy.

• Thanks 1

We may not reply to everything and sometimes things take a little more time than you'd like but I can reassure you that we are aware of what's happening along with community feedback and will respond via a patch appropriately (when appropriate). Can we integrate everything the community would like or has an issue with? We need to analyse it within the context of our design, pipelines and technical requirements, which is the biggest factor for how and why things can or can not be changed or implemented.

Our investigative process in relation to enforcement and the outcome of such is not something we generally divulge publicly. We do take enforcement action for griefing where we deem it appropriate and we will continue to do so (including dev-wipes and bans). As we've stated previously, addressing such things via technical solutions is our priority in order to prevent these issues moving forward.

We've taken note of the torpor-related quirk and we'll be looking into it. Thank you. I'm happy to report that the SoTD issue on PvE servers will be addressed in our upcoming deployment: 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dollie said:

We may not reply to everything and sometimes things take a little more time than you'd like but I can reassure you that we are aware of what's happening along with community feedback and will respond via a patch appropriately (when appropriate). Can we integrate everything the community would like or has an issue with? We need to analyse it within the context of our design, pipelines and technical requirements, which is the biggest factor for how and why things can or can not be changed or implemented.

Our investigative process in relation to enforcement and the outcome of such is not something we generally divulge publicly. We do take enforcement action for griefing where we deem it appropriate and we will continue to do so (including dev-wipes and bans). As we've stated previously, addressing such things via technical solutions is our priority in order to prevent these issues moving forward.

We've taken note of the torpor-related quirk and we'll be looking into it. Thank you. I'm happy to report that the SoTD issue on PvE servers will be addressed in our upcoming deployment: 

I'm sorry but what the hell are you guys smoking over @Grapeshot. This is another group off hard working players getting griefed by a Chinese company (pathfinder can be seen in the video) and thats your only response? I know the Ark Devs were well known for being completely useless in curbing the toxic elements but clearly lessons haven't been learned.

Lets see in the last few days:

And this is the first time we've been deemed worthy enough to get a response?Countless hours off lost progress for an ever shrinking community and now they can even knock you out in PVE with a mace.  Bravo. 

I mean seriously what the f**k is going on over at grapeshot? should we just assume that they'll get punished eventually despite the fact you can't stop them regardless...

Here let me do you a favour .

*prevent people from being able too agro SOTD with bloody melee*

*hire more GM's, your support tickets are beyond useless*

*stop adding more crap and work on fixing the existing issues*

• Like 1

Yep, they paid us a visit too in J6, neighbours are also destroyed. Lost all brigs, schooners and base broken open and looted...
Well you can keep your game, we are moving along, this is not PVE and obviously We are not spending a minute longer on Atlas as its pointless

they is a way to maybe fix all this kick all the chinese to they own server and stop them from getting on the rest but something need to be done 

you can do that just by region lock the game

Edited by thelostgit

today we had a company in J3 called meat shields kite SOTD to our ships in dock and again to our base.  The SOTD will not aggro unless you pull anchor to move your ship then they open fire.

1 hour ago, Truedruid said:

today we had a company in J3 called meat shields kite SOTD to our ships in dock and again to our base.  The SOTD will not aggro unless you pull anchor to move your ship then they open fire.

Well that's good to know, so we can now relax leaving anchored ships while offline?

I never thought I'd see the day.