Thiil

Possible solution to offline-raiding

Dark & Light, a game also based on ark, has a thing called "House Seal". 
Basically, you can put ONE of those down at a time, securing for example a main base, but still leaving unimportant buildings exposed. 

It shielded your base in a X times Y radius and in order for people to attack it, they HAVE to drop a war flag on the structure. 

When the flag is thrown, both companies had a 12 hour preparation time followed by 12 hour war time where both mainbases with shields would be able to be attacked by the other company. 

It wouldn't eliminate offline-raiding, but would definitely give a heads up and preparation time. 

This is how it's visualized in Dark and Light. 

unknown.png

Worked well, didn't make raiding impossible, but in order to go for main bases, you had to announce it. 

People still declared war

In ATLAS, it could be an "Embassy" or whatever, linked to global law. 

I'm sure the mechanic could fit in somewhere besides the "It's magic"-bs

Edited by Thiil
  • Thanks 1

yea something like this should be implemented, with all the different timezones it's hard to defend. At least this would allow me to have a normal sleeping cycle again lol. 😄

• Sad 1

Not having played Dark and Light...

1) What prevents an Alliance of companies from dropping a new flag once every 12 hours to keep you at a perpetual state of war and thus uncertain about when an attack might happen. 

2) If only one war dec at a time with cooldown, what stops a friendly company from always ensuring the open window will be at a beneficial time for the defender and a detrimental time for potential attackers?

A game I used to play had an interesting mechanic for this.  Open world PvP but destroying buildings was a bit more involved.  I don't know how well this would work for this game.  I like it in Shadowbane, but nervous how much it would change this game.  I cannot predict the outcome.   Just spitballing here to see what people think.

Shadowbane used "Bane stones".  Bane stones cost a decent amount of gold and time to create.  These were used to attack your enemies. 

1. Roll (build) bane stone.

2. Take bane stone to enemy fortress and place bane stone. (If you are killed before you place it then it can be stolen.)

3. Enemy nation is notified of this bane stone placement.

4. Enemy nation has a time period (24-48 hours? don't remember) to pick a time for this bane stone to go live.  Attacking nation is notified when you choose time so they can prep for the coming battle.  The times allowed gave the attacker a preference for the day(s) the battle would happen, but the defender got to pick the time it started.  Example:  We place bane stone on a Wednesday so the fight would happen on the weekend, but defender choose early morning which is good for them, but bad for us...but better then a weekday when everyone is at work. 

5. At selected time bane stone goes live.  All buildings around Tree of Life (spawn point and protector of surrounding buildings) are now susceptible to damage. 

6. Battle does not end until either the Bane Stone is destroyed or the Tree of Life (protects buildings) is destroyed.  Claim flag is the equivalent here.

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Lifedragn said:

1) What prevents an Alliance of companies from dropping a new flag once every 12 hours to keep you at a perpetual state of war and thus uncertain about when an attack might happen. 

2) If only one war dec at a time with cooldown, what stops a friendly company from always ensuring the open window will be at a beneficial time for the defender and a detrimental time for potential attackers?

Nothing really, however, they actually had to throw the flag and have it land within the area where the shield was. In DnL you could put up so many turrets that it would be difficult to do with a naked or a guy that just runs up. I looted many warflags from people trying it. 

but the system is rather flawed in that regard all they have to do is soak the damage and get to the point where you could throw the flag on a building. But The issue normally isnt the main buildings with griefers, it is them destroying your ships in the harbor with ease. That alone causes the most people to quit.

Edited by Evir

14 hours ago, Lifedragn said:

1) When flag is dropped, it gets 12 hour prep-time, THEN 12 hour wartime - so regardless, it would end war, and go back to 12 hour preptime again. Nothing prevents anyone from dropping flags in succession in Dark and Light. 

2) There's no cap on active wars in Dark and Light, you can declare war with all the tribes/clans/companies you want if you craft and drop the flags. 

Nothing ensures that it's beneficial for the defender, but at least the defender would know an attack COULD be incoming starting from say 4 am. 

54 minutes ago, Evir said:

Nothing really, however, they actually had to throw the flag and have it land within the area where the shield was. In DnL you could put up so many turrets that it would be difficult to do with a naked or a guy that just runs up. I looted many warflags from people trying it. 

but the system is rather flawed in that regard all they have to do is soak the damage and get to the point where you could throw the flag on a building. But The issue normally isnt the main buildings with griefers, it is them destroying your ships in the harbor with ease. That alone causes the most people to quit.

True - but with the upcoming patch we get 

- Fully Anchored Boats now have a buff which provides a bonus 300% structure resistance

4 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

Dark and Light has 267 players currently playing it....

https://steamcharts.com/app/529180

I don't think we should we taking inspiration from that failed game.

If you read the reviews, it's mostly due to "Snail Games" living up to the name in terms of updates. 
Not the offline protection-mechanic

The Shadowbane mechanic. Funny how this game puts me in the mind of Shadowbane. I'm seriously waiting for the people to get a clue and form huge organizations to take over the world. Banestone was a good idea and one that could easily be worked into Atlas. 

I would love to see base raiding demoted to burglary. Pirates were not for the most part big on taking over peoples property basically they wanted the booty and a quick trip to the local tavern.

I was Prankster [SOL] First and last standing city on Skorned.  

• Confused 1