Jump to content

Labs

Just an idea - Beds, fast travel, remove it - helping the little tribe

Recommended Posts

I'd like to see fast travel removed. Make it so you can only spawn on a bed in the zone you are in. 

Mega tribes own all this land and majority of it is empty. They are able to defend empty land because they can port from where ever they are in seconds and be there to defend. Remove that, you remove the amount of land any tribe can own and it would, in my mind, let the little guy have claim and be able to hold it.

 

Edited by Labs
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The zone you're in and maaaaaybe your ships.  Would definitely help the smaller company keep their land rather than having all that empty land owned by the mega tribes and nothing built there but beds.

Z

Edited by Znick
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an idea, when it does a search for you and you see that this topic was posted just two days ago, just post there.

Now I'm going to just say again. No No No.

It was all discussed there, but how would you respawn if you died?

Think about it, fast travel is exactly the same as you killing yourself and then spawning at a bed. So to remove fast travel, they need to remove spawning at beds, so what you are asking is for beds to be removed. Really dumb idea I think.

There is no simple solution like "just remove fast travel" to the problem you are describing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the ship idea. 
So, only fast travel to beds in the 'zone' you are in unless its a ship. 

4 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Think about it, fast travel is exactly the same as you killing yourself and then spawning at a bed. So to remove fast travel, they need to remove spawning at beds, so what you are asking is for beds to be removed. Really dumb idea I think.

There is no simple solution like "just remove fast travel" to the problem you are describing. 

What do you mean respawn if you die? If you limit it to boats, and the zone you are in, or even closest bed if xx zone you died in has no beds it would still work. 
You are right though, there is no easy solution to removing fast travel that will let mega tribes keep all this empty land. 

Edited by Labs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Labs said:

I like the ship idea. 
So, only fast travel to beds in the 'zone' you are in unless its a ship. 

What do you mean respawn if you die? If you limit it to boats, and the zone you are in, or even closest bed if xx zone you died in has no beds it would still work. 
You are right though, there is no easy solution to removing fast travel that will let mega tribes keep an upper hand. 

So normally when you die, you can simply pick any of the beds in your company and spawn there. So essentially you fast travel from where you died, normally to the closest bed.

So anyone who has played ARK before they added fast travel soon learned, you want to fast travel, you simply put your stuff in a box and kill yourself (eat poop works) and then pick the location of the bed to respawn at. You just created a feature, fast travel. Well the devs realized this was going to be used, so they added it directly to the bed as an option.

So if you remove fast travel, you still will have the fast travel feature, just not quite so obvious, but it is still there.

Now you have to limit where you can spawn to remove it. So what if your ship is sunk and that is the only bed in a grid? So now you die and where can you spawn if spawning is limited to the grid or your boat? Explain why this is a feature to a new player when they rage quit.

This becomes a complicated solution to a problem that should be solved more directly. Like somehow limit the mega tribe's land claims or give the solo or small tribes some advantage that allows them to exist on the same server as a mega tribe.

Edited by wildbill
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wildbill said:

So normally when you die, you can simply pick any of the beds in your company and spawn there. So essentially you fast travel from where you died, normally to the closest bed.

So anyone who has played ARK before they added fast travel soon learned, you want to fast travel, you simply put your stuff in a box and kill yourself (eat poop works) and then pick the location of the bed to respawn at. You just created a feature, fast travel. Well the devs realized this was going to be used, so they added it directly to the bed as an option.

So if you remove fast travel, you still will have the fast travel feature, just not quite so obvious, but it is still there.

Now you have to limit where you can spawn to remove it. So what if your ship is sunk and that is the only bed in a grid? So now you die and where can you spawn if spawning is limited to the grid or your boat? Explain why this is a feature to a new player when they rage quit.

This becomes a complicates solution to a problem that should be solved more directly. Like somehow limit the mega tribe's land claims or give the solo or small tribes some advantage that allows them to exist on the same server as a mega tribe.

Okay, so I'm not saying remove being able to go to a beds to travel, just limit where that travel is to just the map you are in or like Znick suggested to any boat, no matter where they are

- allow 'travel' between boats(no matter where they are), any bed within the map you are in. 
- If you die, you have the option to respawn at any boat no matter where it is, any bed within the map you are in and if no bed in that map, you can spawn at the next closest zone with beds or freeport. 

Heck they could even put in a respawn point, allow 1 per tribe. Have a stupid long cooldown on crafting this respawn point. Allow fast travel to this point from anywhere. Idea behind it, is it would mainly stay at the main base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Labs said:

Okay, so I'm not saying remove being able to go to a beds to travel, just limit where that travel is to just the map you are in or like Znick suggested to any boat, no matter where they are

- allow 'travel' between boats(no matter where they are), any bed within the map you are in. 
- If you die, you have the option to respawn at any boat no matter where it is, any bed within the map you are in and if no bed in that map, you can spawn at the next closest zone with beds or freeport. 

Heck they could even put in a respawn point, allow 1 per tribe. Have a stupid long cooldown on crafting this respawn point. Allow fast travel to this point from anywhere. Idea behind it, is it would mainly stay at the main base. 

Ya, like I said, try and explain why spawning on your bed is so complicated to the new player while they rage quit 🙂

A new player is not going to have more than one ship, maybe one bed somewhere on the map.

Much simpler to just leave fast travel alone. Fast travel is not the problem, it is the age old problem of mega tribes dominating over smaller tribes.

Honestly, I wouldn't care at all if they would make a change like this to only PvP servers, but I know how it goes, PvP players complain, and then it is changed for all server types whether it is relevant to PvE or not, which really sucks in my opinion. Of course the opposite also happens. PvE players compain and they also change the feature for PvP servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Ya, like I said, try and explain why spawning on your bed is so complicated to the new player while they rage quit 🙂

A new player is not going to have more than one ship, maybe one bed somewhere on the map.

Much simpler to just leave fast travel alone. Fast travel is not the problem, it is the age old problem of mega tribes dominating over smaller tribes.

Honestly, I wouldn't care at all if they would make a change like this to only PvP servers, but I know how it goes, PvP players complain, and then it is changed for all server types whether it is relevant to PvE or not, which really sucks in my opinion. Of course the opposite also happens. PvE players compain and they also change the feature for PvP servers.

You make no sense, explain to them why they can't spawn on a bed? Where did I say in any of this they can't spawn in a bed. 

Whats causing new players to rage quit is no land for them because all the land is empty and owned by mega guilds and you can't use that land cuz when you try to claim it, they portal over from 10 maps over and able to take it back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is already a limit on traveling across server lines.  Only a few people can do it before it puts a long timer on it and prevents further travel outside of your zone, even if you die.  Huge companies can't just teleport 50 people over to defend.  The limit is small, like 5 people I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I understand that there is already a limit on it. Still doesn't stop the situation. The guild I'm in has been locked to the cooldown of the bed. Was a minor inconvenience, sure didn't stop us from being able to defend a base 7 maps away though not does it actually stop the mega tribes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This stupid suggestion again ?

Mega companies have theirs flag cool down timer cut a lot and many live on various grids .

Yet resources is scatter around , i against this idea of no fast travel , any open world game have fast travel . Sailing for a long time is not fun .

May be you should live in lawless zone or find a place where they let you build on it .

What they should do is limit the claim flag one person can have so they won't be able to spam the whole island .

Edited by kampfer91
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As was said many times in other threads where this was suggested,  this hurts small groups to the point of driving then out of the game.   Even if it makes it slightly inconvenient to a large group it destroys small groups. 

Suggest a fix that's aligned with your problem,  like pvp penalties after fast travel etc.   But lots of people ft for non pvp reasons. You're basically suggesting we get rid of paper because you got a cut once. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Labs said:

I'd like to see fast travel removed. Make it so you can only spawn on a bed in the zone you are in. 

Mega tribes own all this land and majority of it is empty. They are able to defend empty land because they can port from where ever they are in seconds and be there to defend. Remove that, you remove the amount of land any tribe can own and it would, in my mind, let the little guy have claim and be able to hold it.

 

Have you never heard of travel company limit? It's already in the game and working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Archsenex said:

As was said many times in other threads where this was suggested,  this hurts small groups to the point of driving then out of the game.   Even if it makes it slightly inconvenient to a large group it destroys small groups. 

Suggest a fix that's aligned with your problem,  like pvp penalties after fast travel etc.   But lots of people ft for non pvp reasons. You're basically suggesting we get rid of paper because you got a cut once. 

Please explain to me how this would kill small groups? Cuz from where I sit, in a small group. It would only hurt the big groups from owning a never ending amount of empty land. 

Yes, you are right a lot ft for more than just PvP. If they want to create a world that feels big, have a economy with people trading then removing fast travel from zone to zone would help fix that too. 

Edited by Labs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bullet Force said:

Have you never heard of travel company limit? It's already in the game and working.

I have heard of it and the company I have been in has had to face that while fast travelling across the map to defend land. It was only a minor inconvenience and did nothing but slightly annoy us while waiting to portal over. 

 

Heck a change to limiting what fast travel can do, like I suggest above would also create more trading between tribes since it would be to harder for most companies to be able to hold land in all the zones they need. Unlike now, where the big few are able to do whatever they want. 

 

I'd love to see what guilds you are all in. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the top 10. Cuz this change would really only hurt you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Labs said:

I'd like to see fast travel removed. Make it so you can only spawn on a bed in the zone you are in. 

Mega tribes own all this land and majority of it is empty. They are able to defend empty land because they can port from where ever they are in seconds and be there to defend. Remove that, you remove the amount of land any tribe can own and it would, in my mind, let the little guy have claim and be able to hold it.

 

rubbish idea , i spent hours placing ships at various areas around the map to enable me to fast travel about when i need resources from areas that i dont have have , 

 

this is just another idea from someone who joined the game late and cant find / cant be bothered to go look for land , in a few mroe days any claims that are truly abandoned will start tp show up as the 21 day timer that activated with the timer change to flags will have counted down giving a better indication of what going to available to claim ,

 

go look for some , i myself have 2 areas that i am keeping an eye on ready to claim , but if u removed the fast travel i would not be able to , parking my boats near the claims so i can fast travel watch and claim when ready ...

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, UDO said:

this is just another idea from someone who joined the game late and cant find / cant be bothered to go look for land , in a few mroe days any claims that are truly abandoned will start tp show up as the 21 day timer that activated with the timer change to flags will have counted down giving a better indication of what going to available to claim ,

go look for some , i myself have 2 areas that i am keeping an eye on ready to claim , but if u removed the fast travel i would not be able to , parking my boats near the claims so i can fast travel watch and claim when ready ...

 

Once again, someone trying to defend their stance with false facts. Don't assume I'm a new player, and don't assume I don't own land, because both of your assumptions are wrong. 
Please come back to this conversation when you have actual facts to state why my stance is rubbish instead of false assumptions. 

13 minutes ago, UDO said:

i spent hours placing ships at various areas around the map to enable me to fast travel about when i need resources from areas that i dont have have , 

if you actually read anything that was stated in this conversation you'd see that someone brought up that you should be able to fast travel between boats. Which is something I agree with as well.

Edited by Labs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well because aim bots are holding fresh capped areas by 1-2 people then have loads that may not aim bot come pouring in to finish the job just seems like adding fuel to an already existing problem. I have seen it done and it is complete wrong. @Jatheish Needs to really consider this issue, even block boat fast travel. Keeping a min set of officers on the boat with or with AI. It becomes a mass fast travel portal to spam the server with 150 players in a short time. Does the drop bed and pickup with in 30 seconds still work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Labs said:

I'd like to see fast travel removed. Make it so you can only spawn on a bed in the zone you are in. 

Mega tribes own all this land and majority of it is empty. They are able to defend empty land because they can port from where ever they are in seconds and be there to defend. Remove that, you remove the amount of land any tribe can own and it would, in my mind, let the little guy have claim and be able to hold it.

 

So when the small company goes out do do a treasure, or to gather one of the rare resources, or go to freeport to get NPCs, they get raided, how would the small group deffend themself? would just see the ships sails away from the shore and.. wait 20 minutes, free loot guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Knivet said:

So when the small company goes out do do a treasure, or to gather one of the rare resources, or go to freeport to get NPCs, they get raided, how would the small group deffend themself? would just see the ships sails away from the shore and.. wait 20 minutes, free loot guys

Does anyone read the full conversation before posting? 

Also said have 1 thing you can place that lets you fast travel to. Have a long cooldown on being able to craft it after one is made, ect. Main idea behind this would be to keep it at thee main base. 

Plus there should be risk to any kind of travel away from your base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like others have said, removing fast travel is not a solution. A good claiming system is the solution to many problems. That said, I’m still a bit confused as to why people think they were going to have a great life on PvP official when it’s 1 map and you know there will be mega companies. Sure there are little groups out there but if a mega company wants you wiped, you’re gone. I myself am in a small group - but in a large company. We play with a total of 6 on our own island and it works fine. We get protection from the large company and maybe once a week we join in a big raid. I’m having a blast since launch. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Like others have said, removing fast travel is not a solution. A good claiming system is the solution to many problems. That said, I’m still a bit confused as to why people think they were going to have a great life on PvP official when it’s 1 map and you know there will be mega companies. Sure there are little groups out there but if a mega company wants you wiped, you’re gone. I myself am in a small group - but in a large company. We play with a total of 6 on our own island and it works fine. We get protection from the large company and maybe once a week we join in a big raid. I’m having a blast since launch. 

But mega companies owning mass amounts of empty land isn't good for anyone. Their whole claim system, even ranking system is based off of putting down as many claims as they possibly can. Removing the fast travel from zone to zone like it currently is, would still let the mega tribes own more land vs the small tribe, but they'd have to truly pick what land they want to own since they wouldn't be able t o fast travel across the map to defend their emptiness. You are very right, it is a pvp server and mega tribes will always be able to pick on whoever they want when it comes to the little tribe. Just will be a hell of a lot harder for them when they can't travel across the map at the click of their heels. With the way the current system works it going to end up being join Dynasty or tpg. Seems like a great game right there. 

Edited by Labs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Labs said:

But mega companies owning mass amounts of empty land isn't good for anyone. Their whole claim system, even ranking system is based off of putting down as many claims as they possibly can. Removing the fast travel from zone to zone like it currently is, would still let the mega tribes own more land vs the small tribe, but they'd have to truly pick what land they want to own since they wouldn't be able t o fast travel across the map to defend their emptiness. You are very right, it is a pvp server and mega tribes will always be able to pick on whoever they want when it comes to the little tribe. Just will be a hell of a lot harder for them when they can't travel across the map at the click of their heels. 

If you make a good claim system, especially now when they’re not so active, it will solve a lot of problems. I’m eager to sea what they have for us with the february update. It should give a big update on the claiming system. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Percieval said:

If you make a good claim system, especially now when they’re not so active, it will solve a lot of problems. I’m eager to sea what they have for us with the february update. It should give a big update on the claiming system. 

I'm all for a new claiming system. Just trying to give an idea on something that would fix mega tribes from owning so much without changing the current claiming system. Sucks just to see a game where there is so much empty land, and people dropping non stop because they can't own anything. 

P.S please don't assume I'm one of these people. I'm in a very successful tribe and enjoy 'most' of my game play. I'm just seeing a game with such great potential rapidly declining. Far from being in a mega tribe and a little bit more than a little tribe. Just don't want this game to be more empty than it currently is and its seems one of the reasons people are leaving is how hard it is for them to get land, even though its mainly owned by the very few tribes who just keep it empty and don't use it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×