Countyorga

Best Sails for a Brig

Most common thing is 2 large speed + 1 large handling. If you plan on running against the wind much, you can go with 3 large handling.

Does it make a difference where you place the sails ?

what is most common for the Schooner as well ? I’ve heard a large and small speed sail and you’ve got the fastest ship in the game but weight and such will play a part

34 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

Does it make a difference where you place the sails ?

what is most common for the Schooner as well ? I’ve heard a large and small speed sail and you’ve got the fastest ship in the game but weight and such will play a part

I have 2 schooners, 1 has a large speed and a small speed the other a large speed and a small handling. I prefer the later for the better maneuverability. My wife and I have ran them both side by side and as the addition small speed sail does make it go faster in the straight away, as soon as you start turning or in a storm, the handling sail helps to overcome the speed. In a 3 server journey we both arrived to the destination at pretty much the same time, but the double speed sail took more dmg from SoTDs. 

one of my schhoner i have just the one speed sail for solo sailing i found the additional small sail doesnt really make enough of a difference to worry about , allows to sail solo quiet happily , 

brig i have 3 speed not really found any issues yet even against the wind , nothing to warrent consdiering the handling sail 

i am hoping eventually the devs realise that everyone is using speeed sails and start adjusting the wind for them making us think mroe carefully about using handling sails and weight sails as at the moment speed sails have no drawbacks at all 

I have 2 speed and a masterwork handling sail on my Brig. The masterwork has the extra wind angle efficiency. It's amazing. I can maintain a great speed going almost any direction.

3 speed sails... Handling sails are junk and only good for an expanded 15 degrees..   Even with all red sails SPeed beats handling in the same wind. 

As it stand handling arnt any good. Weight only if your spending most your tyime above 85% weight.. 

This applies to all ships

Edited by Pax
  • Thanks 1

i use handling sails but i think speed sails are better. if you encounter danger you can just go with the wind and always escape.

For trips I know are a straight shot, I use the triple MasterCraft speed sail brig. Shoot out there with the wind, park for an hour, shoot back.

If I'm going on extended trips, that will include all kinds of wind, I will use the mythical handling sail brig. The sails are so good that the wind is always full green at any Angle and I can sail anywhere at an above average rate.

It would lose a drag race, but overall it's the fastest and most manueverable, which is key for avoiding SODs and tricky parking.

9 hours ago, arzosah said:

Handling sail also improves turning radius.

Sadly, they dont.  If they did they'd be more balanced.  They just turn to face the wind faster but not enough to matter.

• Thanks 1