Adfax

Why is the age mechanic STILL in the game????

After playing Atlas for 598 hours and Ark countless hours. I would have to say I think this game has tons of potential. The FoY is a complete waste of developers time and effort. It is bad enough that we have to deal with age in real life. I have no idea who came up with the whole concept of the age thing along with a silly fountain. The way a characters progression has always worked is called leveling. So stop trying to reinvent the wheel. The consumers purchased it based on a lot of great things about the game now and to come. I can not speak for everyone. I just know I definitely did not purchase it to worry about growing old and a fountain. I know I always wonder how JUNK like this age and FoY concept even become just that. There is way more resourceful programming/developing that could be done. You guys need to drug test the employee who came up with the whole age progression and Foy idea. I will assure you that kat has either been dropped on his/her head as a child or a hell of a meth habit. 

• Like 1

Novus Inceptio had/has a cool way of implementing the age mechanic. As gain levels, you age, at a certain age, you die, but are reborn, with a generational buff to stats and skills.

One of the stupidest things is the passage of time aging you. It has nothing to do with your character, level, playtime, anything. I hit 100 years old around day 750 of the server being up, tried to play framerate frogger, and said the hell with it...and that was with me starting a week after launch. Its now day 1547, and there are characters who have run the fountain multiple times? In 1500 days, or about 4 years in game time? Ageing needs to be slowed down to at least half of where it is, currently, otherwise the FOY is just an annoying as hell chore to to every 3 weeks or so - not an accomplishment.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tyslin said:

After playing Atlas for 598 hours and Ark countless hours. I would have to say I think this game has tons of potential. The FoY is a complete waste of developers time and effort. It is bad enough that we have to deal with age in real life. I have no idea who came up with the whole concept of the age thing along with a silly fountain. The way a characters progression has always worked is called leveling. So stop trying to reinvent the wheel. The consumers purchased it based on a lot of great things about the game now and to come. I can not speak for everyone. I just know I definitely did not purchase it to worry about growing old and a fountain. I know I always wonder how JUNK like this age and FoY concept even become just that. There is way more resourceful programming/developing that could be done. You guys need to drug test the employee who came up with the whole age progression and Foy idea. I will assure you that kat has either been dropped on his/her head as a child or a hell of a meth habit. 

You raise an excellent point, nobody bought this game wanting to deal with age, they bought it for pirating. What does this stupid mechanic bring to the core of the game, the core of the game being pirating? 

It brings nothing. Therefore.. Why is it in the game?

Edited by Adfax
  • Like 1

People who claim they like the age mechanic wouldn't care if it were not in the game; yet many many players DO care that it ruins the game, and have quit over it.

I'm tired of having to make threads on this stupid pointless mechanic; for the love of god scrap it already.

21 hours ago, Adfax said:

I challenge anyone to tell me how the age mechanic adds to the game more than it takes away; tell me how it makes the game good.. You'll find there isn't anything it adds, nothing that improves the game in any meaningful way. It adds nothing to the core of the game; it just makes me want to quit even thinking about it.. 

Which is exactly what it's supposed to do.  Think of it this way:  it helps the developers shed players the way your colon sheds epithelial cells.  It helps refresh the player base by encouraging player turnover and is thus essential to maintaining optimal playerbase health.  HOWEVER, it adds to the problem of abandoned ships of all kinds littering the shores and preventing the new players from even getting close to shore to claim available land.  The only ones who can do it are the ones already there, so in a way the FoY mechanic is in reality an ouroboros, eating its own tail.  Devs, you guys need to think this through and fix it as soon as possible.  The necrosis in game's player base is due to these dynamics and only YOU can change them. 

2 hours ago, Raine said:

Which is exactly what it's supposed to do.  Think of it this way:  it helps the developers shed players the way your colon sheds epithelial cells.  It helps refresh the player base by encouraging player turnover and is thus essential to maintaining optimal playerbase health.  HOWEVER, it adds to the problem of abandoned ships of all kinds littering the shores and preventing the new players from even getting close to shore to claim available land.  The only ones who can do it are the ones already there, so in a way the FoY mechanic is in reality an ouroboros, eating its own tail.  Devs, you guys need to think this through and fix it as soon as possible.  The necrosis in game's player base is due to these dynamics and only YOU can change them. 

Which can be done WITHOUT an age mechanic. 

Why ruin other aspects of the game when they could just have it so your character is deleted if you're inactive for a year, or whatever time they want?

There is no good reason.

The only reason this is in the game is too keep PVE players happy. It's pure PVE content. I guess its so they can take a break from playing farmville every once and a while.

25 minutes ago, Bullet Force said:

The only reason this is in the game is too keep PVE players happy. It's pure PVE content. I guess its so they can take a break from playing farmville every once and a while.

Why is it that PVP players have the need to talk shit about the PVE players and blame mechanics that no one likes on them? There have been just as many nerfs that were because of PVP mechanics. I'm relatively sure that PVE players didn't ask for flame arrows to get nerfed to uselessness against alphas, didn't ask for guns to get nerfed to the point of requiring a minimum of 2 blunderbuss shots to kill any animal bigger than a chicken, we didn't ask for stone walls cost more, and be weaker so I didn't have to spend as much mats shooting cannonballs at an empty fortress to crack it open and feast on the goo inside, didn't ask for tames to be nerfed because it was too hard to kill them when people used them to attack us.

I can't think of any PVE players that said "Hey, you know what we need? Some stupid quest to drive a boat to a random sector, and spawn on a bed when this magic glowy bit is there, then lag our way into a cave and click on a thing after dying to everything outside a couple (dozen times)...its a mechanic thats damn near universally hated.

Don't you put that evil on us, Ricky Bobby.

Who cares if PVE just wants to build and socialize and trade? It rarely effects the PVP side - it happens a helluva lot more in reverse, although I will give GSG credit for starting to try to make PVE or PVP specific changes. The majority of the complaints of people on both sides are the same, with the exception of realistically 1 thing each. PVP - Offline Raiding/Getting Eaten by Megas. PVE - Lack of claimable land. Neither of those PVE/PVP specific issues really effects the other. PVE doesn't have to worry about offline raiding (except for people abusing game mechanics) and PVP doesn't worry about land, because you can just take it.

Worry about suggesting solutions, or even just voicing your opinion about the mechanic instead of blaming each others sides. It adds nothing, and further divides what is already a pretty divided community.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mind you, I didn't say I liked it.  I don't.  It's a forced quest.  Not only is it tiresome, but it leads to other breaking points in the game, as I mentioned above.  So from a player perspective it's vastly sucky.   That's probably why they allow private servers to option out.  If you don't like the dynamic, you find a private server with the aging function turned off.  But since this is the official beta server it sorely needs a housekeeping function, and this is one way Grapeshot can clear the docks, er, decks, for new players and fresh perspectives.  They're NOT doing this for us, they're doing it to help them manage their development.  

Bottomline: keep giving them feedback.  Make it constructive even if you need to let them know how frustrated you are.  I am too.  But it's beta and until someone comes up with a better housekeeping function (one of many they have here, and hopefully not the last), we're stuck with it.  Onward, Adfax.  I hear ya and I feel the same frustration.

On 2/14/2019 at 4:11 AM, QzarSTB said:

Am I the only one who actually likes this mechanic?

You are not the only one, unfortunately people that enjoy the mechanics dont troll the forums nearly as much as carebears who dont know how content is meant to be done.

2 hours ago, Bad News Bear said:

You are not the only one, unfortunately people that enjoy the mechanics dont troll the forums nearly as much as carebears who dont know how content is meant to be done.

Please stfu, you wouldn't care if it wasn't in the game. 

it adds nothing.

It is just pointless fluff. 

People who like the age mechanic just haven't thought it through properly. The FOY is a huge reason the age mechanic sucks; the only way to fix that is to make accessing the fountain easier. You make accessing the fountain easier, it makes the age mechanic POINTLESS. Understand? The age mechanic must come with a difficult FOY, because if it did not, an age mechanic wouldn't matter.

I'm tired of stupid people making no argument helping keep this stupid non-mechanic in the game. Think it through, and you'll realize it isn't worth having.

Therefore? The age mechanic is unneeded. It adds nothing. It only takes away from the game.

Edited by Adfax

4 minutes ago, Adfax said:

Please stfu, you wouldn't care if it wasn't in the game. 

it adds nothing.

It is just pointless fluff. 

People who like the age mechanic just haven't thought it through properly. The FOY is a huge reason the age mechanic sucks; the only way to fix that is to make accessing the fountain easier. You make accessing the fountain easier, it makes the age mechanic POINTLESS.

I'm tired of stupid people making no argument helping keep this stupid non-mechanic in the game. Think it through, and you'll realize it isn't worth having.

Therefore? The age mechanic is unneeded. It adds nothing. It only takes away from the game.

Nah I’ll voice my opinion, it’s constructive criticism. The point I am making is that there are some people enjoy these concepts.

1 minute ago, Bad News Bear said:

Nah I’ll voice my opinion, it’s constructive criticism. The point I am making is that there are some people enjoy these concepts.

Your opinion is based on poorly thought out logic though; it isn't an opinion even worth considering.

Think it through, and then come back. Until then, save your pointless opinion.

Edited by Adfax

11 hours ago, Raine said:

Mind you, I didn't say I liked it.  I don't.  It's a forced quest.  Not only is it tiresome, but it leads to other breaking points in the game, as I mentioned above.  So from a player perspective it's vastly sucky.   That's probably why they allow private servers to option out.  If you don't like the dynamic, you find a private server with the aging function turned off.  But since this is the official beta server it sorely needs a housekeeping function, and this is one way Grapeshot can clear the docks, er, decks, for new players and fresh perspectives.  They're NOT doing this for us, they're doing it to help them manage their development.  

Bottomline: keep giving them feedback.  Make it constructive even if you need to let them know how frustrated you are.  I am too.  But it's beta and until someone comes up with a better housekeeping function (one of many they have here, and hopefully not the last), we're stuck with it.  Onward, Adfax.  I hear ya and I feel the same frustration.

Better house keeping function : same as ark.

Done.

Why ruin the game when such a simple and easy solution is available?

Edited by Adfax

12 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

Erm, the PVE players hate the aging/FOY B.S. as much as anyone else.

56 minutes ago, Adfax said:

Your opinion is based on poorly thought out logic though; it isn't an opinion even worth considering.

The thing I like the most about FOY/powerstone is that it’s the only dungeon fight so far in game, and is quite challenging. When you go and fight the monsters in the cave fully geared and by coming well prepared you really have fun doing this content over going and running in blindly/naked hoping that the monsters get glitched somewhere.

Also, in our preparations we come with a ballista boat in case the beach is littered with monsters. The players that are maked are generally very thankful to us for helping them by doing the content the way it’s meant to be done. 

I wish there was more content that had the dungeon feel to it.

searching for the FOY is like going on an adventure to get the ultimate reward - a permanent buff that helps you better accomplish your daily tasks.

Edited by Bad News Bear

1 hour ago, Adfax said:

“My opinion is superior to your opinion because I said so. I get to decide who’s opinion is good and who’s opinion is worthless. If I don’t like your opinion I will fell entitled to hurl insults, profanity and belittle you.”

This is what you sound like.

7 minutes ago, Bad News Bear said:

The thing I like the most about FOY/powerstone is that it’s the only dungeon fight so far in game, and is quite challenging. When you go and fight the monsters in the cave fully geared and by coming well prepared you really have fun doing this content over going and running in blindly/naked hoping that the monsters get glitched somewhere.

Also, in our preparations we come with a ballista boat in case the beach is littered with monsters. The players that are maked are generally very thankful to us for helping them by doing the content the way it’s meant to be done. 

I wish there was more content that had the dungeon feel to it.

searching for the FOY is like going on an adventure to get the ultimate reward - a permanent buff that helps you better accomplish your daily tasks.

The issue with this, is that it pretty much eliminates small/solo tribes from being able to do it the correct way.

Its not like a raid in WoW, where you just get better gear, it removes a debuff that is annoying at best, and detrimental to gameplay at worst.

If you're not in a group of people large enough to do it, your choices are run and die a couple dozen times or more, and hope you get in before it moves, hope that there are a bigger tribe there to clear the stuff, or just say the hell with it and deal with stat loss.

If there was no debuff, and it just gave you a buff, then that would be fine. But the fact that there is a debuff is what screws it up and becomes basically forced content, and if you don't have a big enough group, then oh well, you get to try to do it the frustrating way.

2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

“My opinion is superior to your opinion because I said so. I get to decide who’s opinion is good and who’s opinion is worthless. If I don’t like your opinion I will fell entitled to hurl insults, profanity and belittle you.”

This is what you sound like.

Faulty logic is faulty logic. 

I shouldn't have to tolerate people who can't even think something through properly; and then post without a thought. They're just annoying.

Edited by Adfax

3 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

The issue with this, is that it pretty much eliminates small/solo tribes from being able to do it the correct way.

Its not like a raid in WoW, where you just get better gear, it removes a debuff that is annoying at best, and detrimental to gameplay at worst.

If you're not in a group of people large enough to do it, your choices are run and die a couple dozen times or more, and hope you get in before it moves, hope that there are a bigger tribe there to clear the stuff, or just say the hell with it and deal with stat loss.

If there was no debuff, and it just gave you a buff, then that would be fine. But the fact that there is a debuff is what screws it up and becomes basically forced content, and if you don't have a big enough group, then oh well, you get to try to do it the frustrating way.

I’ve done it alone / sometimes with 1-2 other players back when we were in a smaller group. Sure, it takes more time, but still doable, even within a 1-2hr timespan.

I understand your frustration with the debuff, but it isnt that crippling. I’ve played with the debuff for a full week, just a minir nuisance.

if you want I can run you through a powerstone, should be doing one or two this weekend.

Edited by Bad News Bear

4 minutes ago, Adfax said:

Faulty logic is faulty logic. 

But you are not the sole arbiter of what is or is not faulty logic. Present your rational arguments and let people weigh them for themselves. For someone who likes to invoke the word logic you use a lot of profanity, insults and belittling language, things that have nothing to do with logic and everything to do with negative, judgement clouding emotion.

Edited by boomervoncannon

3 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

But you are not the sole arbiter of what is or is not faulty logic. Present your rational arguments and let people weight them for themselves. For someone who likes to invoke the word logic you use a lot of profanity, insults and belittling language, things that have nothing to do with logic and everything to do with negative, judgement clouding emotion.

Wrong. 

Logic is driven by emotion. It is the basis of logic. Without it, you'd never commit to a logical thought. 

The reason it is faulty logic is simple : 

FoY is tied to the age mechanic. If the FoY gets made easy, it makes age mechanic is pointless.

The FoY needs to be made easier because people don't tolerate the current iteration. 

From there? The age mechanic becomes pointless.

Anyone who wants the age mechanic, but hates the FOY hasn't thought things through. Anyone who likes the age mechanic, and likes the FOY isn't considering the impact on the majority. If the majority do not like it, then there will be no game to play if it is left as is.

Now, if you want to introduce breeding into it, that opens a whole different can of worms, with different issues that STILL make the age mechanic a bad addition.

Edited by Adfax

9 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

But you are not the sole arbiter of what is or is not faulty logic. Present your rational arguments and let people weigh them for themselves. For someone who likes to invoke the word logic you use a lot of profanity, insults and belittling language, things that have nothing to do with logic and everything to do with negative, judgement clouding emotion.

Agrees with you completely. Anytime he makes a carebear post and gets called out by players he talks shit to them, tries to humiliate and harass. I’m going to report him when i get on my home computer. His consistent replying is very unwelcome and insulting.

He made a post, people come and challenge or support his points, he should just let the community decide what aspects make sense and not. 

Edited by Bad News Bear

Just now, Adfax said:

Wrong. 

Logic is driven by emotion. It is the basis of logic. Without it, you'd never commit to a logical thought. 

I will simply let the absurdity of this statement speak for itself.

5 minutes ago, Bad News Bear said:

Agrees witt you completely. Anytime he makes a carebear post and gets called out by players he talks shit to them, tries to humiliate and harass. I’m going to report him when i get on my home computer. His consistent replying is very unwelcome and insulting.

You only agree because they're attempting to help your failed argument. Failing at their attempt at that.

Okay, maybe it was rude to say you were "stupid", I admit to that. But everything else is true.

3 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I will simply let the absurdity of this statement speak for itself.

Do I have to actually explain this to you also?...Okay then.

If you felt nothing, you would do nothing. Everything you do ties back to your base emotions/instincts in some facet or other. If you had no base emotions, you'd have no reason to do anything, and thus would do nothing. No logical thoughts, nothing. Logic is in service to emotion.

You're now guilty of the same sin as the person you're trying to help, which was exactly my problem.

Think it through before you post.

Edited by Adfax