Sign in to follow this  
Salty Del

Water depths for anchoring.

My wife and I were finally able to find a claim to build a small house. It is literally an underwater shelf next to a cliff, and we have ownership of the cliff to about 1/8 of it’s height (not very much at all).

We built a house on stilts and a dock with bays for our schooners, but the brig we recently built can only drop anchor in a very particular position. The shelf is too shallow to get the brig over without probably sinking it, and the underwater ledge is too steep to easily find a spot that we can drop anchor on.

I did some experimenting with building a platform underwater to try and anchor the brig, but it had no apparent effect, as the brig still could not anchor over it.

i’ve been trying to find the exact point on the ship that the game uses to determine when you can drop anchor. It’s definitely not the anchor, as I’ve run a schooner aground while backing in to get an anchor point at a different island. I suspect it’s in the middle, which on a brig in our location is incredibly difficult to get properly positioned.

Our schooners are almost bottoming out backing in, but are able to reach the anchor depth before they actually start to bottom out. I haven’t tried a sloop yet, but I’m pretty sure I can anchor it right over the shelf.

Does anybody know what the maximum depth, in pillar height, the brigantine is capable of dropping anchor over?

Has anybody found an ideal way to find an anchoring point? And no, just going back and forth watching for the icon to appear is not ideal. Spending 5 minutes trying to find the exact spot to anchor is a bit tedious, especially ia

ly when you can see the anchor hovering right over the shallows.

A suggestion for the developers would be to change the point used to determine depth to anchor to the anchor point. Most people have figured out how to back their ships to shore, judging from how many I see parked exactly like that. If they’re rushing headlong to shore, the center may be the lowest point, but that’s also the risk of dashing to the shallows, bottoming out the ship.

We haven’t built a galleon yet, but I can just imagine what trying to anchor one at our home would be like.

12 minutes ago, Salty Del said:

My wife and I were finally able to find a claim to build a small house. It is literally an underwater shelf next to a cliff, and we have ownership of the cliff to about 1/8 of it’s height (not very much at all).

We built a house on stilts and a dock with bays for our schooners, but the brig we recently built can only drop anchor in a very particular position. The shelf is too shallow to get the brig over without probably sinking it, and the underwater ledge is too steep to easily find a spot that we can drop anchor on.

I did some experimenting with building a platform underwater to try and anchor the brig, but it had no apparent effect, as the brig still could not anchor over it.

i’ve been trying to find the exact point on the ship that the game uses to determine when you can drop anchor. It’s definitely not the anchor, as I’ve run a schooner aground while backing in to get an anchor point at a different island. I suspect it’s in the middle, which on a brig in our location is incredibly difficult to get properly positioned.

Our schooners are almost bottoming out backing in, but are able to reach the anchor depth before they actually start to bottom out. I haven’t tried a sloop yet, but I’m pretty sure I can anchor it right over the shelf.

Does anybody know what the maximum depth, in pillar height, the brigantine is capable of dropping anchor over?

Has anybody found an ideal way to find an anchoring point? And no, just going back and forth watching for the icon to appear is not ideal. Spending 5 minutes trying to find the exact spot to anchor is a bit tedious, especially ia

ly when you can see the anchor hovering right over the shallows.

A suggestion for the developers would be to change the point used to determine depth to anchor to the anchor point. Most people have figured out how to back their ships to shore, judging from how many I see parked exactly like that. If they’re rushing headlong to shore, the center may be the lowest point, but that’s also the risk of dashing to the shallows, bottoming out the ship.

We haven’t built a galleon yet, but I can just imagine what trying to anchor one at our home would be like.

The larger the ship the deeper it’s anchor can go. Galleons can anchor in further depth than smaller ships. Sounds like you are working hard to make a spot for yourselves. Good luck with your new home. I bet you’ll make it something impressive from humble beginnings.

From my experience, at least with my schooner, the anchor ability point is toward the front of the ship. I have a spot with a similar situation to yours, and if I back in, I run aground before I can drop anchor. But, if I pull in forwards, It anchors fine as soon as the front 1/3 or so is into the shallows.

Its funny  that my anchor can't drop off the back of the ship into about a foot of water, but if I drop it pulled in forwards, the anchor chain drops down into the abyss. Not sure how deep it even is, I've tried to see and ran out of air before I got there.

A solution would be to make it so that as long as you're in the light blue area on the map, what I assume is essentially the continental shelf, you can anchor. Would clear up a lot of the problems people are having with finding anchorage.

Edited by MeatSammich

22 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

From my experience, at least with my schooner, the anchor ability point is toward the front of the ship. I have a spot with a similar situation to yours, and if I back in, I run aground before I can drop anchor. But, if I pull in forwards, It anchors fine as soon as the front 1/3 or so is into the shallows.

Its funny  that my anchor can't drop off the back of the ship into about a foot of water, but if I drop it pulled in forwards, the anchor chain drops down into the abyss. Not sure how deep it even is, I've tried to see and ran out of air before I got there.

A solution would be to make it so that as long as you're in the light blue area on the map, what I assume is essentially the continental shelf, you can anchor. Would clear up a lot of the problems people are having with finding anchorage.

That’s interesting. I’ll have to try that.

The spot that I found to anchor, I thought that I had gotten the middle over the low point, as the front had gone across it already, and from the camera views it looked like the middle was over a shallower point than the front.

This needs further experimentation!

I don't agree with the "larger the ship, the deeper the anchor" info mentioned previously.

I have every ship.   It's been my experience that the ship that can anchor in the deepest water is the Schooner.   The Brig and Galleon most definitely need shallower water to get a hook. ;(

It seems to me the anchor depth is determind by the bow for most ships. If I pull into my parking spaces bow first, I can anchor a lot farther out then if I back in. I do feel it should be based on your stern's position since we all tend to back in for a quick exit anyways

Edited by jabnlab

1 hour ago, jabnlab said:

It seems to me the anchor depth is determind by the bow for most ships. If I pull into my parking spaces bow first, I can anchor a lot farther out then if I back in. I do feel it should be based on your stern's position since we all tend to back in for a quick exit anyways

Aye, that and the fact that the anchor is off the stern off of most, if not all, ships. It telling me its too deep to anchor when the stern is scraping bottom is kinda weird, as well as what I mentioned above, with my mile deep anchor chain.