[616]RexFortis

How Ironic, Atlas Is a Sinking Ship

5 hours ago, Grongash said:

It is not subscription based. They got your money. You can be sure there will be a few bones tossed your way before the next DLC 😛

It may not be subscription based, but that is only because the industry realized almost a decade ago that free to play models with cash shops generate greater revenue than sub models. Those loudly touting that “they got your money, now they don’t care about you.” demonstrate a poor understanding of the enormous ongoing costs to keep a large open world MMO online over time, or how revenue from game purchases alone in these models does little more than cover development costs at best. 

Atlas’s developers need you to stick around and buy things from the eventual cash shop if the game is likely to ever make any money. The initial sales plus deep pockets from Ark’s success means they can weather a storm like the precipitous drop in playerbase we’re seeing far better than most indie studios, but long term make no mistake, they need to successfully reverse that trend.

The scam of taking the money and running just doesn’t work very well with MMO’s. Those claiming it does have a poor understanding of business models.

• Like 1

Just now, Shintai said:

Game will be microtransaction based. But revenue there requires happy players.

Exactly. If they drive everyone away now, they’re not scamming , they’re screwed.

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

Those loudly touting that “they got your money, now they don’t care about you.” demonstrate a poor understanding of the enormous ongoing costs to keep a large open world MMO online over time, or how revenue from game purchases alone in these models does little more than cover development costs at best. 

I would love for this game to have a sub or a shop (as long as it isnt pay to win ofc). This wasnt a rant about how to finance the further development, in fact i am worried that it isnt sustainable currently. I got my moneys worth plenty. If paying a few bucks a month (or even an ingame cosmetic shop, etc) would assure that they actually WANT to put the work in and make their customers happy id be all for it. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jason Twice said:

Next week? Its under 10k right now. 8k. 

Not to say that Atlas’s numbers are good, but doing a snapshot during the middle of the NA workweek is never a good indicator.

22 minutes ago, Grongash said:

I would love for this game to have a sub or a shop (as long as it isnt pay to win ofc). This wasnt a rant about how to finance the further development, in fact i am worried that it isnt sustainable currently. I got my moneys worth plenty. If paying a few bucks a month (or even an ingame cosmetic shop, etc) would assure that they actually WANT to put the work in and make their customers happy id be all for it. 

I am right there with you. I’m not broke. I would happily pay a subscription fee or buy cash shop cosmetics (“Arrrr that’s a lovely dress ye be sporting there matey. Really brings out the color of yer eye patch.”) to suppport a game I enjoy. I realize not everyone is in the same boat, but if I get hundreds of hours of entertainment from a game and can afford more than the $25 or $30 price tag, spending more to support the people who made the game and help keep it going so others can also enjoy it is a no brainer for me.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Not to say that Atlas’s numbers are good, but doing a snapshot during the middle of the NA workweek is never a good indicator.

From the looks of it, EU and China is the numbers behind. Peak for today will likely happen in a few hours.

Just now, boomervoncannon said:

I would happily pay a subscription fee or buy cash shop cosmetics

Rofl.

2 minutes ago, ptonfm said:

Rofl.

Laugh all you want. In 2004 I paid $50 for City of Heroes, my first online game. In 06 I bought their city of villains expansion for the same price. For six years I paid the $15 dollar a month sub. That’s somewhere around 1200 bucks all in for what amounted to literally thousands of hours of entertainment. A decade later it’s still some of the best money I ever spent and would spend it again in a heartbeat. 

People who get hundreds of hours out of a game they paid 50 bucks or less for and then bitch about it are not remotely fairly comparing it to other forms of entertainment. Go buy enough movie tickets to watch 1200 hours of movies at 2 hours a pop or hell even compare what your Netflix or Hulu sub costs per month to a game and then tell me you’re being ripped off. 

Its whiny entitled bs to do so.

• Like 2

This game ROCKS! Simple. Accept it or move to next game.

Even better on your own private server. Plenty of available land. They have changed the game so much on PVE, its a robot game. I loved being a pirate. Kinda hard to do now. Game still rocks!

1 hour ago, ptonfm said:

Rofl.

Go on, if you think the game can be sustained from a 20 Euro "one time" fee be my guest. Thats not even going to cover the Server costs, not even talking about development. If you rather have an MMO free of additional costs and watch it die before it even makes the release... thats the way to go. 

2 hours ago, ptonfm said:

I think i am entitled to a free game and i love to freeload.

See.. If you quote.. dont edit the actual quote.

6 minutes ago, Grongash said:

Go on, if you think the game can be sustained from a 20 Euro "one time" fee be my guest. Thats not even going to cover the Server costs, not even talking about development. If you rather have an MMO free of additional costs and watch it die before it even makes the release... thats the way to go. 

Ark has been rolling along pretty well for what, 4 years now without subscriptions, or as of the last I played, microtransactions.

Although, once the game is further along in development, I wouldn't be averse to their being some cosmetics - and only cosmetics - in a cash shop, especially if they were building related. I'd pay $5 to $10 for more wall textures, some aged wood textures, etc. Being able to build with the same stone texture that the bank has would rock, as well as being able to make a ships with an aged, half rotted look to them.

2 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

Ark has been rolling along pretty well for what, 4 years now without subscriptions, or as of the last I played, microtransactions.

Although, once the game is further along in development, I wouldn't be averse to their being some cosmetics - and only cosmetics - in a cash shop, especially if they were building related. I'd pay $5 to $10 for more wall textures, some aged wood textures, etc. Being able to build with the same stone texture that the bank has would rock, as well as being able to make a ships with an aged, half rotted look to them.

They threw out DLCs in ARK (even tho they screwed up with the season pass). They said they dont want to do that during the EA here, means they have to bridge at elast 2 years... And im pretty sure the servers where a lot cheaper to run.

Edited by Grongash
added the Server costs

1 minute ago, Grongash said:

They threw out DLCs in ARK (even tho they screwed up with the season pass). They said they dont want to do that during the EA here, means they have to bridge at elast 2 years...

Aye, which means at this point that they need to fix the base game, and get back a good portion of players that left back - players who will then recruit friends. Plus, if they can turn it around, positive articles will attract more players.

Use No Mans Sky for an example. They tanked at launch as hard as it was possible to tank, but through changing and adding gameplay, rebuilt their following into a pretty solid base, which helped repair their reputation,  and people took notice,  and more people bought copies.

As is, a subscription would in no way work. It would kill 90% of the current playerbase, and with the remaining 10%, you think people are losing their minds over bugs now? The reaction to similar issues when you're paying say $10 a month, would make the forums now look like a fart in a tornado.

My guess is that they had enough investors off the back of Ark to ensure startup and 2 years of operating capital, so they wouldn't have to worry about DLC, etc, and that if they turn it around and pull off the next big game, everyone is happy.

Can they do it? All we can do is wait and see, voice our opinion on things, and hope that they take the game to where at least a majority of people who are playing are happy with it.

Atlas consist of 4x72 servers, all virtualized. I guess it's 8 regular VM hosts. So they pay maybe 3000$ a month if it was premium. That's 150 games sold per month to cover this.

Seems the peak for today may be a bit under yesterday.

21 minutes ago, Grongash said:

See.. If you quote.. dont edit the actual quote.

I didn't edit any quotes.  I laughed at the thought someone would gladly pay real world money for cosmetic digital items in this game. 

Who are you to manipulate me?  Kindly back off. 

2 hours ago, Shintai said:

From the looks of it, EU and China is the numbers behind. Peak for today will likely happen in a few hours.

for anyone watching the daily peak is almost always at 3:00 EST plus or minus an hour

I'm still having fun!

I really feel like limiting claims, fixing the stupid "Jump on a boat and hover" and making FOY less retarded would lead to substantially better retention.

7 minutes ago, strawman said:

for anyone watching the daily peak is almost always at 3:00 EST plus or minus an hour

For all servers combined, or NA? Seems weird for NA, seeing as how the majority of adults would be at work, and most <20 year olds would be at school/college across the US/Canada at that time.

18 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

For all servers combined, or NA? Seems weird for NA, seeing as how the majority of adults would be at work, and most <20 year olds would be at school/college across the US/Canada at that time.

For Steamcharts, so everything combined

1 minute ago, strawman said:

For Steamcharts, so everything combined

Ah, okay, that would make more sense. Right around 8pm in the UK.

I spent at least $4500 in Elder Scrolls online, across all my platforms, just for skins, riding mounts and speed increases on my characters mounts.. i did it because they put new major content in almost monthly with thousands of ways to make your character look unique, special titles, excellent pvp and excellent role playing elements... theres 10's of thousands of people like me that did too. 5 years later it's still one of my favorite games for pvp and they're still adding new content. Grapeshot needs to take a lesson in MMO's, and that's not an insult, it's a suggestion. I want this game to succeed. Unfortunately, im one of the 40k people that are taking a break from atlas till grapeshot gets a clue. id spend that kind of money on atlas if they did too, easy.

Edited by Enki Anunnaki