simplejacksparrow

Better survival perks

Hello, I've been playing since launch in an active medium size guild with good allies and for the most part review this game favorably.  We've seen moments where devs perhaps couldn't put themselves in the players shoes and vice versa so there has been mixed reviews of this game; however for the most part things that are broken get dealt with that are of big importance.

There are a number of things I'd like to see tweaked or changed however the first one I'll focus on is vitals for players which was a neat plan but poorly executed.  Currently, players generally just jump on a fire or find some way to suicide to reset their stats, very few play the side game of survival.  There are some simple fixes to make this relevant again since no one seems to think the homeostasis buff is good enough to go after.  The intent here is that people can still go on suiciding but make it worth while to not.

1) Give a resource gathering buff significant enough for players not to ignore, like 1.5x or 2x, whatever level gets people noticing that they should take care of their vitals.  This could be done by just keeping vitals balanced or length of time without dying.  For instance, after 1 hour, give a 1.5x resource gathering, after 2 hours give 2x, or adjust those to what time makes sense.  You could basically do away with 2x weekends this way too.

2) Have drinking water give some low level boost like instantly gain back 5% stamina and alcohol 10%

I didn't play ark so I realize I may already be unaware that mechanics like this already exist in the game or that my understanding of the current mechanics is wrong.  I'm sure the devs are aware that people just bypass the survival mechanics with resetting by death however.

Your issue is valid, but your idea of a resource gathering buff is not the answer. We already gather a great deal, even more so with tames and the natures feats. A further resource gathering buff that is so easy to attain just isn't necessary, and would be too over powered. Some incentive to maintain vitamin equilibrium would be nice, but this isn't where it should be

Even with recipes I find the fire easier since you're trying to balance different boosts from this meat and that vegetable and this meal they're not uniform so if you eat X your A vitamin shoots up while you're food barely budges and Y only barely budges the B vitamain while your food skyrockets. On top of which its not just a "Max my vitamins" option because if you get too high you get vitamin poisoning so you're actaully aiming to get it in the middle of the bar which adds to the hassle. Then if you go out in the ocean they fall faster while your food doesn't seem to so you need to eat more but then you get full and can't eat any more so the discrepancy gets even greater unless you figure out the high vitamin, low food items. As for the buff the temperature extremes mean even with high fortitude, the buff and an appropriate animal you can still wind up dying from overheating because its simply too high above what is manageable. Add in lions who grab you off your mount, snakes who tranquelize you and all the other death sources when the return of the buff takes time because you need to keep them balanced for x time before it shows up. Finally the food recipes that should make it easier usually require a huge variety of specific resources not just berries for a cake but blackberries which you have to find a source for and you wind up with our current situation where its simply easier to die and reset everything than spend time trying to balance it.

Food is easy to make, and saves you alot of hassle. And with the latest duration buff there simply is no reason not to just cook up some pork pie and monarch cake and be done with it

5 hours ago, Zlax said:

Food is easy to make, and saves you alot of hassle. And with the latest duration buff there simply is no reason not to just cook up some pork pie and monarch cake and be done with it

Except that maybe you want to put your skill points into something of more use?

I've yet to ever spend any points on the cooking skill other than the one that allows you to over eat.

Not really that big of a hassle to overeat and raise your vitamins. You may take a bit of damage, but that just makes you hungry so you can eat more and raise your vitamins more. Way easier than finding all the odd ingredients needed to cook stuff and waste good skill points on an almost useless skill.