BurntFlameZ

does anyone else think that atlas cant last as long as ark

I just realized and wanted some opinion on this; do you think that this game a viability after a year or 2. I ask that question because it is a game built around ships that is the primary thing in this game so how many ships can you add to the game before it is redundant, before there is no more reason to add a ship, unlike in ark where the dev's could add a dino or 2 and that was a game update. they cant do that in atlas because people don't want it to be "ARK 2" so how are they going to make this game able to last a long time like ark. if you agree let me know what they could do to add stuff to the game to keep it going. if you disagree then tell me why I'm dead wrong

Without a single player mode, Atlas will not be as popular as Ark. It's a smaller demographic.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lynx said:

Without a single player mode, Atlas will not be as popular as Ark. It's a smaller demographic.

but still if they run out of stuff to add then no one will be playing it

7 minutes ago, BurntFlameZ said:

I just realized and wanted some opinion on this; do you think that this game a viability after a year or 2. I ask that question because it is a game built around ships that is the primary thing in this game so how many ships can you add to the game before it is redundant, before there is no more reason to add a ship, unlike in ark where the dev's could add a dino or 2 and that was a game update. they cant do that in atlas because people don't want it to be "ARK 2" so how are they going to make this game able to last a long time like ark. if you agree let me know what they could do to add stuff to the game to keep it going. if you disagree then tell me why I'm dead wrong

I think it will do fine imho, they don't need millions of ships, but different customization for each ship and things to tackle with them, SoF only has 3 types, but tons of customization. Also it's down to content, different encounters with treasure maps, different things to encounter on the sea, quests, player driven mission boards so player can create their own content. something to get people on their ships and exploring, agian it's the content and what is rewarded that will keep players going, if they don't, then the game will no go anywhere.

PvP will be easier to keep players going, the struggle will be PvE.

Also it doesn't need solo player to survive, not every game needs it and i'm saying this as a solo player

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BurntFlameZ said:

Atlas is a fusion of MMORPG and survival. Obviously since the same developers produced Ark, it is the natural comparison for survival, but the survival genre is a younger genre than MMO’s. The short answer is that MMO’s need to continue to offer content to survive. New ships however are not the only options for new content. Look at Wow, the best known example of an MMO, or Eve, the game Atlas is openly patterned upon. These games have both been around over a decade and keep players engaged by producing new content. New ships for Eve or new classes for WoW are not the only new content options. Expanded NPC opponents, new quests, building components, new gear, further refinement of systems like trading, all are ways to provide new content to keep players engaged without just pumping out new ship types.

Since Everquest created the genre in the 90’s, Atlas’s developers will have over 20 years worth of ideas to pull from without reinventing the wheel for their game. I think the update coming next might provide some insight into ways new content can be added. Underwater biomes to make more of the game world space usable and explorable, submarines to do so with, and giant crabs to find when you go there. The bottom line is that Atlas certainly can be viable long term, whether it will depends upon the developers execution.

• Thanks 1

There are successful MMO's and then there are those that crash and burn.  In my many years of gaming I have found an axiom that holds true to most all of these.  Game content facilitates human interaction which is the key to a game's survival.  Nobody is playing single player games from 20 years ago. The content runs out and you're left with nothing to do.  But, I can point you to a purely text-based MUD that has be running for almost 20  years.  The reason it survives is that it has a deep content system that allows players vast choices in how they build their character. This depth then facilitates the PVP and PVE interactions.

To me, human interaction, whether through triumphs or foibles, is more entertaining than anything the dev's can come up with.  You can only whack a wolf so many times before it becomes boring.  Your buddy flying naked across the lawn, slamming head first into trees because he accidentally punched an alpha pig who's now head-butting him like a soccer ball is priceless.

There is a reason why streamers are watched as avidly as they are. It's not because of the game content they're playing. If it were, people would just play the game themselves. It's the comedy, the tragedy, the unexpected events in the course of their play that make you fall out of your chair laughing. It's the events that make you look close at your monitor and go, "oh bullshit."

It's all about the drama.

“What is drama but life with the dull bits cut out.” - Alfred Hitchcock

A good MMO facilitates drama.  Atlas does that now.  To succeed, it needs to facilitate it even more.

Edited by Jean Lafitte

For me, this is my ARK 2 replacement. I find it too close as ARK + ships. I am loving it. And if they dont do SP, folks can always get their own hosted server. And then custom it to their own liking. I was HEAVY ARK player, but when I log into ARK to check on things: bla, back to Atlas I go. Lovin the Atlas. 🙂

• Like 4

The way things are currently going I think this game is DnL 2.0.  Take from that what you will...

• Like 1

I have to say I preferred Ark early access to Atlas early access. Have 2700 or so hours in ark but only 180 or so in atlas and I feel like i ran out of things to do. Mostly that's because I play solo and Atlas is not a game for solo players. Its simply not designed to work if your playing alone, and that's not always a bad thing.

I do feel that Ark had more potential that Atlas does. it never hit a perfect score in my head, but then again it was good enough to be my longest playtime invested game ever. Most games these days are 20-30 hours if your fortunate. Even sandbox or massive replayability games like civilization 6 only made 300 or so for me so far. That's a far cry from 2700.

The only real takeaway from Ark vs Atlas is that its made by the same company and uses a lot of the same systems and assets. In terms of how it seems to be designed to play, they are too far apart to compare in a meaningful way. At least to me.

52 minutes ago, Lynx said:

The option of SP and MP is what keeps players most happy,,,,,seen that with many games.

• Like 1

I've played Ark *omg a lot of hours 😱 and I love Atlas so much more, I'm a pirat now there's nothing more to say.  And I've a vegetable garden 😵 beautiful landscape, no need for trips to the seas, i will save so much money. And there are no Gigantosaurs and no hordes of T-Rex, with that scary noise. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Melora said:

And there are no Gigantosaurs and no hordes of T-Rex, with that scary noise. 

They might add the equivalent of these.

37 minutes ago, Lynx said:

They might add the equivalent of these.

Doubtful. They've said repeatedly that animals will not be the focus of Atlas. 

It's funny how some players analysis of the game is so paper thin that they glance at the reuse of some assets and immediately go "oh it's just an Ark reskin."  Right. Because Ark had all those profession classes and skill systems and different kinds of sailing ships and submarines and gear you could upgrade after crafting, and different kinds of mats within a single category, and it was definitely about trading resources with others in a vast game world where you all..no wait..

it didn't have any of that.

(That wasn't directed at Lynx btw, just a general observation.)

16 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

It's funny how some players analysis of the game is so paper thin that they glance at the reuse of some assets and immediately go "oh it's just an Ark reskin."  Right. Because Ark had all those profession classes and skill systems and different kinds of sailing ships and submarines and gear you could upgrade after crafting, and different kinds of mats within a single category, and it was definitely about trading resources with others in a vast game world where you all..no wait..

it didn't have any of that.

(That wasn't directed at Lynx btw, just a general observation.)

I said equivalent. That dosen't necessarily mean animals.

1 minute ago, Lynx said:

I said equivalent. That dosen't necessarily mean animals.

A fair point. I could see giant magical creatures like say cyclops or hydras being used. GrapeCard™, I will expect my retroactive royalty check by the end of the week. Lynx ,  my apology for unfairly assigning implications to your statement you did not intend.

Something need to happen fast, else the game is pretty much over. The Ark 2.0 with ships isn't working. If I wanted to play a zoo game I will just play ARK.

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

Yet they are...

Need my fiber and combat bears, crow for crafting, monkey for regen, elephant for wood, rhino for metal and so on.

Edited by Shintai

3 hours ago, BurntFlameZ said:

I wouldn't say the game is built around ships, but it does use ships as the way to get from island to island and grid (server) to grid. They are one of the main means of transportation, so vital to the game, but I don't think they will be the main content of the game in the long run.

The game has all kinds of opportunities for content. Some that they are adding soon will likely require the submarine that is added, but I suppose that is just another type of ship.

well i think atlas tries to bring mmo and survival together and while i am enjoying the game a lot since release a lot seem to not enjoy it that much 🙂 i think when atlas evovles and follows the route to really bring more mmo elements it should surely be able to turn the numbers up again as this is what should really set it appart from ark. i just hope they'll stick to it and work out the stuff that works on small servers but not on mmo like worlds. 

right now it's too much survival for mmo players and too much griefing for survival gamers due to the bigger server i'd say

for me all these survival games with all their little servers never really got me hooked although i basically  love the survival genre and have always hoped for one with big servers like atlas tries to do...sure there is the limit per grid but it is still a huge world which could hold tons of ppl - for me this would be exact the game i like to play. right now it is too much "little server survival" game stuff that needs to be changed to make it work in a big world...starting with a solid mechanic to take/hold land and not this stupid offline raiding on the fly stuff.

time will tell tho i personally really like the foundation so far and can't really understand all the hate around this game...played way buggier mmo's on release day not in early access maybe you don't mind a few bugs when a lot of mmo's feel like alpha on release day ^^

Ark used to be like 35$ or some shit in early access. It had little content for a while - what kept people going was taming dinos.

It went on to get expansions for years.

This game is barely into early access, already has an end game boss, and a lot of things that will hopefully be worked out and decent (eg golden age islands). I don't think this game will falter very rapidly, but then look at light & dark I guess.

45 minutes ago, gadefence said:

Ark used to be like 35$ or some shit in early access. It had little content for a while - what kept people going was taming dinos.

It went on to get expansions for years.

This game is barely into early access, already has an end game boss, and a lot of things that will hopefully be worked out and decent (eg golden age islands). I don't think this game will falter very rapidly, but then look at light & dark I guess.

I play ark and still do, right now i m just loggin to feed and fill genrators, i am still playing on legasy servers, but it keeps me going. This ATLAS is to diffficult to gert your private space and that is ok )( or not.

What ive been seeing is that griefing, making this game just like a teenager game, where no response abilities matter. you are protectect behind your firewall.

Streamers, realy work hard  on getting all the kids that are following them into, just destroy everythink, to obstruckt, any creativity.

What i am trying to say it is not grapeshot games that is wrong, but it is their players.

I’m pretty amazed by the fact ARK keeps the playerbase stable. I have thousands of hours into it but I had to find the motivation to play it pretty damn a lot. Good to see my old love which I’ll definitely play again in the future is doing so well. 

Well I can tell you right now if the devs don't get a handle on these Chinese exploiters that are bringing in SOTD I will be another leaving the game. It hasn't happened to me yet but I will not play if I lose all of my stuff on PVE.

We can't even use cannons while offline because the "fire at ships" option does not work. I don't see this game lasting years, I really don't. They are driving people away which is the opposite of what they want.

7 hours ago, Lynx said:

LMFAO you are the smaller demographic.

1 hour ago, Nutcutt3r said:

LMFAO you are the smaller demographic.

Probably more playing Ark single player right now than Atlas total players.

• Like 2