INVALID

Creature Designer

Team,

The hitboxes on the crocs do not register with the Tiger and Lion from the front of the head and the tail.  I love my tiger, but I have to struggle to get around to the belly to attack the croc AMD damage it. Could this be fixed? 

Shoulder animal that gives a Stamina regen boost.

A different taming mechanic (wider throwable net?) for highly mobile animals (parrots, seagulls, crows, horses, etc).

Increase hitbox/grab area of bola's (only on creatures) to assist with janky creature movement. Creatures doing 180's every few seconds is pretty unnatural and hard to deal with.

Consider allowing Elephant and Giraffe to be able to hit multiple tree's per strike.

Adjust bear gathering sweep to not be so left angle focused.

Allow reverse and turn with ridable tames.

Allow all whistle commands to be key bindable.

Add a bindable modifier key to whistle commands (like shift) that will cause only tames/npc's currently following you to hear the whistle.

Add additional floating icon to indicate they have access to a trough, but it has no food they want to eat (or is empty).

Re-bindable or draggable feat binds.

New structures (small, medium, large) pen/stalls. Allow tame to be wheel "Move to ..." and whistle into pen/stall. Give option to Unseat and Unseat & Ride. Structure possible give a bonus to feeding or reduce their viz to hostile creatures. Personally, would more want pen/stall to have better management and aesthetics than currently possible. Gated large area's with a jumble of randomly "parked" tames in a decent sized company looks terrible and can be a pain to deal with (tames stuck on each other, etc).

I think taming needs a kind of rebalancing in the game. I think instead of being awesome gatherers, they should be more about carrying weight and harnesses, like they are in "real life".

Also, i think taming breeding need to be overhauled in the game. I mean, Ark was all about tames, and breeds, and fancy pets, but in this game, the same system takes the real point of the game (traveling and exploration).

Taming itself is fine as it is now. However, after tame, the animal itself turns into a "static asset", since it just need feeding, and things like that, so people WILL flood the servers with animals and pens, and it will need an external limitation or pokeballs, like in ark. Instead of that, i would suggest to have a kind of lifecycle to animals.

Suggestion:
Taming is fine.
After tame : the animals should grow old. Doesn't need any fancy designs, or stuff like that, just animals should die after reaching an age.
Breed: Should be a lot-lot-lot more easier regarding time, but more resource consuming. I would like to suggest something like parents have an "autocare" alternative on babies, what speeds up maturation, but can't have "new" imprints on the babies. Instead they inherit the bigger imprint from one of their parent.
Genetics: Since breeding would be much much much easier, the catch would be that it would punish harder breeding between relatives (incest), so it would rely more on including taming wild animals.

What comes with these changes? Animals stuffed in pens just as "spare" animals will reduce in numbers. Since each animal age, having multiple at the same time simply doesn't worth it, people will rather breed them when needed. This easen server load, since there is no need for big pens, or much animals at the same time. However, replacing animals will be easier, so you don't need to have so much anyways. Also, since replacement will be faster, animals can be weaker, and because of that they won't overthrow barefooted pvp, like they does in ark. Also they won't dominate the battlefields with numbers in pvp and they don't overthrow the "pirateish" feel of the game. Also, since it'll move the game a bit aside from ark with lesser focus on pet-keeping tamagochi approach (hardcore breeding timers), people's time will be more about exploration and not being bound to a place, which is a selling point that separates the two game.

Edited by Deadbones
Typo
  • Sad 1

The bear is my all time favorite tame from day one, I would like to see him get a few things that would make the BEAR even better than what it is now. First specialized saddles for example weight saddle or a smith saddle. I would like to have the ability to gather thatch or fiber. I would like to get a weight reduction on all gatherable resources. Cargo wagon attachment to haul large amounts of resources. I would like to be able to gather wood with a bear, maybe not at the level of an elephant but the swipe attach should be able to gather wood, thatch, and fiber.

Would love to see the cobra tamable and be a shoulder mount. I could so see people walking around with a snake wrapped around their neck with its head swaying side to side over your head. would also come in handy when you are trying to tame a bird.

On 2/13/2019 at 12:40 PM, Jatheish said:

Let's play a game! If you were a designer, what would you change about the following tamable creatures? We often hear feedback that players don't find value in most of the ones we've tamable, and I know some ideas have been shared in various threads previously but figured I'd make a giant thread where y'all can suggest. Not saying any of this is going to happen, but curious to see what you suggest.

• Bear
  • Chicken
  • Cow
  • Bull
  • Crow
  • Razortooth
  • Shieldhorn
  • Elephant
  • Giant Pig
  • Giraffe
  • Horse
  • Lion
  • Monkey
  • Ostrich
  • Parrot
  • Penguin
  • Rabbit
  • Rhino
  • Seagull
  • Sheep
  • Tiger
  • Vulture
  • Wolf

First of all what is the point of tier 1 saddle right now. No animal can use it?

Anyway...

Few animals that should be changed/fixed:

Elephant:
The gathering side of this animal is in a good place. I think though that this animal needs a buff to both its damage and health. As it is right now the Elephant is a really slow animal compared to most other and i think with it being a tier 3 animal and the sheer size of it then it should atleast have more damage than a bear. Right now Bears have more health and way more damage than elephants and are way faster. 
Also maybe change the alternative attack of elephants to use it trunk for something. Maybe let it be able to grab and hold things / crush them. 
Needs a health buff, damage buff and maybe some tweak to its very bad stamina regen.
Reason for the changes above is I would really love it to be more viable in PVP, since it has it weakness of being really slow then it should be one hell of a dangerous animal getting in close contact with. Right now its not really good. Same health as a bear, damage it pretty poor and it runs out of stamina instantly while being really slow. 

Bulls:
I really like bulls, but as most other people write they are kinda useless as it is now. They should be stronger than regular cows. They need a buff to their health they don't necceary need a buff to their damage. Maybe also give it some kind of harvest utility as thatch which other people also mentioned

Cow:
In a good, but it would be nice if it was made ridable.

Bears:
Bears need to be changed to a tier 3 animal, as it is right now it is litterally stronger than any of the tier 3 animals. And i really hate to see that the bear actually has the same amount of health as a huge elephant. Could maybe use even more of a nerf to their health.

Gigraffe:
With the giraffe being one of the bigger tier 3 animals i think it could use a slight buff to its damage. Everything else with it i think is fine. Maybe it could also use a little bigger buff to its thatch gathering ability than it already got.

Pig:
Was a really good idea earlier to make it really good at gathering specifik recources for cooking recipies or make it good at digging so you could actually use the pig as some kind of shovel.

Eagle Eye - Skill used for crows (or all birds) once the tarot tree comes out that allows you to craft and play a card to throw out a crow on your shoulder and look through its eyes while it circles an area, maybe even control its movement.

On 2/13/2019 at 6:40 AM, Jatheish said:

Let's play a game! If you were a designer, what would you change about the following tamable creatures? We often hear feedback that players don't find value in most of the ones we've tamable, and I know some ideas have been shared in various threads previously but figured I'd make a giant thread where y'all can suggest. Not saying any of this is going to happen, but curious to see what you suggest.

• Bear
  • Chicken
  • Cow
  • Bull
  • Crow
  • Razortooth
  • Shieldhorn
  • Elephant
  • Giant Pig
  • Giraffe
  • Horse
  • Lion
  • Monkey
  • Ostrich
  • Parrot
  • Penguin
  • Rabbit
  • Rhino
  • Seagull
  • Sheep
  • Tiger
  • Vulture
  • Wolf

here are some of my suggestions:

1.BULL:

make a oxcart for them, then they can be used to transport resources just like what they did in the real world.

NEWSKILL: angry: They will become angry when they got attach: increase speed and attach.

2.Lion:

increase health, derease attach. Let players have more chance to escape from their teeth.

3.Rhino:

let them also can get few metal from stone.

4.Tiger:

dcrease spwan of them. Last time I went to an island of L11. There were 3 tigers and 1 cobra spwan nearby me every 10 minutes. 

5.Wolf:

inrease speed of them.

Like many people have said the temperature needs a serious rework. 
Sitting around with 10 fires to keep a baby warm which doesn't work 
always and the baby still dies from cold is just frustrating. 

My main ideas is to add buildings you can craft (like the vault)in the
breeding tree for some of your animals to live where you can even hire crew
to help take care of them (like the S+ Nanny in Ark). 

I have two building ideas:

1.Give the ability for you to pick up only babies to put into the buildings to be raised and give an incubation buff which makes it so they dont die from cold or heat while inside. Would be like a storage for babies and tames to grow up and  then produce you items when they are adults.

2. You could have the building have a hitching post in them and when you hitch the dinos in them your crew takes care of them and they get an incubation buff so they dont die form the cold or heat. Would be more of an open building and more interactive them just a storage. Will allow you to gather items from your tames too. Sheering sheep,milking cows etc.

Both options will have a place to put a crew member to feed your babies when you are away. Have a feeding trough where you add food for the crew member to use to feed your babies and a resource box for the items your adults produce.

Imprinting: 

I would like to see a change in how imprinting works. My idea is your baby gets imprinted slowly over time based on what kind of food you are feeding it. Based off the creatures preferred food item. Maybe even add an option to pet and/or cuddle your baby to increase your imprint slightly as well.  

Buildings for animals:

Chicken/Bird Coop: Chickens  produce eggs for you and feathers that act as a hide 
option for you. (All birds may go in here and produce you eggs and feathers)

Barn: Sheep and cows produce milk for you and Sheep also produce wool/fur/fleece for you to use for hide. Horses can produce hair for you.

Hog House: A place for your pigs where it produces truffles(for food and cooking),
animal feces, and worms.

Bear Den: A place for your bears to produce Honey for you. 
Add a beehive to the game you have to get to add to the bear den for your bear to get honey from.

Animal Barn: I would be happy with an option to make just one building that acts as a animal breeding and gathering house that holds all your breedable tames with a crew hire help option.

Other Animal Change Ideas: Make all but the Razortooth and Shieldhorn breedable these
guys should be powerful and not easy to get. Give ALL dinos that gather items a 
weight reduction on that item. Either make it so a dino only gathers 1 thing or 
the ability to turn off what they gather. 
(Example: Bear only gathers Fiber or able to turn off them gathering berries or fiber 
so it gathers just one item)

Cargo Saddle: Needs to be able to carry cargo and not just a cannon. 
Lets you put some chests on it so its easier to move things back 
and forth from your ship to base.

Bear: Seems to be in a good place to me. All around best tame imo. Have it only gather Fiber.
Bull: Give them the ability to use the cart like the horse and bear and have 
them harvest thatch better then a pick axe.
Razortooth: Rework what these do so its not just a yuty from ark. 
Shieldhorn: The reflect makes sense to me for this guy with his armored head. 
Give them a charge ability that stuns for a short time.
Elephant: Have it JUST gather wood and small amounts of thatch. 
Giraffe: Have them aoe harvest JUST thatch from trees. They do have a long neck after all.
Horse: Make them a passive tame or slow them down a bit when they wild cause they are 
awful to try to catch.
Lion: Needs alittle buff. They seem to be pretty weak compared to the wolf and tiger except 
the alpha version which is far to powerful. Carrying smaller animals is a cool feature.
Ostrich: Gathers Lots of berries and seeds. 
Rhino: Gathers JUST rocks and metal and gets some metal from normal rocks too. 
Tiger: Seems to be in a good place to me. Like the bleed damage.
Wolf: Since they are pact animals they need a pact buff of some sort.

Shoulder Pets:

Monkey: Health regen and has a chance to pick open locked chests based on lvl of monkey.
Penguin: Heat and Cold insulation for tames and players near by. Even though the hugging 
is hella cute make then sit on your shoulder and give them the swim speed bonus 
and underwater oxygen bonus the seagull has OR make turtles tameable and give them 
the ability to increase swim speed and underwater oxygen bonus.(Make turtles a shoulder pet)
Parrot: Increase the buff of music being played near by and 
have them sing when doing so and a fortitude buff.
Rabbit: Increase the chance to get more gold from treasure hunting and increase run speed.
Seagull: Have them hunt fish for you in an area you choose and bring them back to 
fishing barrel. Fishing Barrel can have a radius on it for where it can fish at. 
Vulture: Helps you see animals and players with low health and decreases vitamin depletion.

My issues are more with Breeding.

I was thinking on the cooling down process of the animals in ark you would have air conditioners to get that temp where you can incubate a egg .I can understand with the hot and cold mechanic that wont fit in so well .So what if you had to get ICE from the Arctic and that will keep things cool for better refrigeration.(you cant store meat without it becoming salted meat in the Preserving bag) 

The ice could also be placed in the feeding troughs to create a refrigerated trough and slow down the rotting of food.

You could also use it with a fan system and a npc to move the fan creating a old fashioned airco system to cool tames down during breeding.So their are multiple uses for a new resource to be added to the game and usage for it .It could even be used in iced tea for cooking to make a cooling refreshing drink Mint iced tea perhaps

In regards to the breeding once a Baby has reached juvenile the heatwaves etc should not really affect it as much you should be able to at least go to sleep for a few hours without it keeling over and dieing or going in to stasis and not eating from the trough or inventory.The one thing i have loved about ark is being able to breed and get mutations in my breeding line.Doing that and the enjoyment of seeing what type of mutation i could breed in to my line kept me playing for over 6k of hours and also run my own servers.

I like the challenges in breeding, i just don't think it should be a thing where you have to stay awake for days on end.Even on ark in the end you had to admit the base times in breeding were Brutal.it is what also moved me from official on to my own servers where i could at least put the Breeding rates up a bit.

This also takes me back to tier 3 breeding when will we be able to breed a elephant etc.You have to take tier 3 breeding in order to tame tier 3 animals so it obviously is something to be implemented but i do wonder when.

I have yet to be able to incubate a parrot egg so a solution to that would also be great .

Cow: It really really needs a ride option - no matter if it requires a saddles for it, it just needs the option so it can actually be moved properly.

Sheep: when you jump off one after riding, you tend to get glitched into place behind it, sometimes being unable to move away at all, sometimes it eventually pops you into a stable place and you can walk away.

Elephant: Why does it not AoE gather wood? It sure makes a big enough swing for it... [also: why does stamina take SO LONG to regenerate?]

Rhino: Why does it not AoE gather stone? Again, it has a relatively large swing...

[For those two, even just making them able to gather from an additional node would be great]

Horse: Non-sprint movement is probably a bit fast... but the turning circle is terrible.

General:

Straps for your saddles, so you don't get ripped out of them by passing lions...... seriously, this is the biggest annoyance I have with tames. And to make things worse, your mount almost never manages to attack that lion before you die - or it just never does if the lion took you far enough in that jump-grab.

MEAT! It needs to stack higher, so that it doesn't run out so fast in the troughs! This is BY FAR my biggest timesink for tames, replenishing meat stores in the trough. Either make meats stack to 100 like veg, or have its timers extended A LOT. Possibly also make the Prime meats last far longer then regular meats in addition to that, the way some vegetables last longer than others.

Edited by Diesel Power

Please make combat tames  only used to carry cannons no swivel guns No nakeds on bears killing fully armoured  guys. this is a  pirate  game  the main pvp should be swords and guns.   Intense Action 

Tactical melee combat systems with blocks, parries, dodges, character motion, optional shields, stunning and strength-varying strikes, directional attacks, and more for use in either first or third person perspectives. Fists, swords, maces, blackjacks, daggers, and much more give you tremendous options to pick the right weapon for the job. Meanwhile, period-appropriate-weaponry with skill-based active reload systems include flintlock pistols, muskets, blunderbuss, and more -- just be sure to keep your powder  dry  

On 2/13/2019 at 8:35 AM, Armatron said:

chicken should have a .001% chance to lay a golden egg.  Rhino should have a rush attack. maybe use C for the attack. Ostrich should have a massive back kick also C. Seagull is a Poop attack. there i a couple.

this is retarded is this a pirate  game or  ark survival evolved??  screw these  tames

• Thanks 1

All Tames: (*all subject to having the correct tame commands found in beast mastery tree)

-          *Many listed below are if then or while statements that check variables and proceed according to what the code finds.

-          Ability to filter food from resources when tame gathers.

-          Example: If I send a wolf.. err wait don’t use those anymore *sniffle*… a lion out to gather meat I would like to be able to have it just gather meat, not resources (hide, keratinoid, etc) too.  

-          Ability to limit weight of food gathered.

-          Example: If I send a tiger to defend around a building, I would like it to not be heavily encumbered because it has a crazy number of meat stacks and resources on it. Limiting it to say 50, 100, 200, etc lbs meat would be sufficient.

-          Ability to set a perimeter for a tame to walk in defense of area X. (sentry mode)

-          Example: very simple. Walks a set route to defend area X and if it gets into a fight it wont run 100 miles away from it’s route chasing a bird. Which leads me to the next ability.

-          Ability to set a leash limiter on range, preferable in meters not low, medium, high… that tame won’t go outside that range from its center marker  (if a circle) or set route which can be any shape a player sets when creating the route. (see above).

-          Examples: A rhino walks a big circle around building or area X until called off. A bear walks a complex sequence around several buildings and resource areas before returning to its start point which has a feeder. It delays 10 mins to regen health before returning to its route. If health is >= 90% it doesn’t stop but keeps on running its route. This used the delay in the route (see below).

-          Ability to set a delay which connects to time or a variable when tame is running a route or in aggression mode.

-          Example: Stay in active aggression mode unless health is below (10, 20, 30, 40, 50, etc %), if health is below the set % than stop, regen health and return to aggression mode when health is well again. Example 2: This allows a delay to be added to whatever route points are set in the routing ability (sentry mode). Every point could have a 5, 10, 20, 30, etc second delay or no delay unless a preset variable is recognized like health low or weight too heavy.  

-          Ability to flee or fight when in aggression mode according to variables (health %, weight %).

-          Example: I don’t want a tame to rush into a fight with low health. It needs to intelligently know its wounded and regen health or even return to a set spot until its health is back to normal. So like the above examples if in aggression mode or sentry mode if its health drops below 50% it doesn’t wait but instantly turns, exits fight and runs back to preset point (which tamers can set with the correct commands). Perhaps within range of a feeder and sentry guns that can help defend it until its healthy again. Once its health is good again it returns to its route.

-          Ability to call a tame back to base with a long-range whistle w/map help.

-          Example: sent tame to defend around base and can’t find it but this whistle will signal tame to return to base and, this is key,  if the tame is stuck it will signal where on the map.

-          Ability to send a tame on a resource gathering route. Similar to sentry mode but gathering mode instead.  

-          Example: I could send an elephant through 2, 3, 4+ different groves of trees and have it harvest them all and then return to point A. Or gather until it reaches weight X and then return and wait to be unloaded.  

-          Ability to set aggression mode to predators or 2 neutral modes or all.

-          Example: aggression predator only will only attack wilds that are naturally hostile.

-          Example:   aggression neutral 1 only will only attack wilds that are naturally neutral and flee from predators.

-          Example: aggression neutral 2 only will only attack wilds that are naturally neutral and fight predators if they attack first.

-          Id like to see a set of armor for mounts. Think Heman and his armored Tiger.

-          I’d like to see the breeding system completed by allowing the breeding of tigers, lions, rhinos, elephants, giraffs, etc.

-          I’d like to see the breeding system evolve into training babies when they are young for their future roles.

-          Example: farm animals, war mounts, sentries, etc.

-          I’d make the tames a part of the rng system with normal, fine, journeyman, mastery, legendary, mythic and you don’t know what ya have until the tame is done. Once tamed the tames name changes to its rarity and so does its bonus stats, abilities, etc.

-          Same as above with tames except with babies. Once they reach full maturity in that moment they change to their rarity (normal, fine, journeyman, mastery, legendary, mythic) with their respective bonuses and abilities. Higher rarity tiers get greater stats and more abilities.  

-          I’d like to see tames get their mutations and or an ability list that differs from tames to tames (see below).

-          I’d like to see each animal type get their respective breeds: i.e Bears: brown, black, Grizzly, Polar, and have their slight variations in strengths & weaknesses that are also handed down to their cubs. Same for tigers, lions, horses (so many breeds and qualities to each), elephants, rhinos, etc

-          Like to see tames harvesting menu expanded upon. Example: fiber only, berries only, thatch only, wood only, stone only, metal only, etc.  

-          I’d like to see a sprinkler system that cools down players, tames, etc that uses the current irrigation pipes and water reservoirs. Instead of water plants it showers players and/or tames with water and this produces a cooldown affect.

-          Like to see a cart that bears, bulls, horses, etc can pull that has a weight reduction because the cart with wheels is baring most of the weight. The weight reduction is directly proportional to the max weight of the animals pulling it AND the quality of the cart (blueprints). If a single tame than off its weight but if it’s a team pull than off the combined weight of both tames.

-          Add medium sized gates that are 2 tiles wide by 2 tiles high.

-          Add fortress grade walls that go with the small, medium (see above) and large gates.

• Bear
    • Maul: vicious attack that bleeds.
    • Body slam: knockdown target and pins to ground for 6 secs.
  • Chicken
    • Face gauge when provoked
  • Cow
    • Rear kick
  • Bull
    • A charge that does dmg and bleeds/knockback.
    • Pro-puller: pulls weighted carts 15% faster than other mounts. 2nd bull with pro-puller would be 30% faster than other mounts.  
  • Crow
    • Face gauge that blinds and bewilders target
  • Razortooth
    • Trample that knockdowns and breaks bones
    • Assault: high dps burst from front
  • Shieldhorn
    • Shield mode that defends target A. Absorbs 50% of any damage target A takes.
  • Elephant
    • Tusk slam, breaks bones, sends flying
  • Giant Pig
    • Gore: similar to bear but no knockdown but does bleed and high dmg output.  
  • Giraffe
    • Neck thrust: sends flying with dmg.
  • Horse
    • Rear kick: breaks bones, sends flying, knocks down.
    • Sprint: a burst very fast gallop.  
  • Lion
    • Rack: high dmg from claws
    • Roar that rallies nearby allies and temporarily boosts lions combat prowess.
  • Monkey
    • Taunts that distract target with monkey squeals and hoots that lowers def.
  • Ostrich
    • Bill peck: think street fighter Chung Li rapid kick except with its bill.
    • Naturally a fast mount.  
  • Parrot
    • Taunts with insults which lowers def.
    • Face gauge: blurred vision/bewildered.
  • Penguin
    • Hugging a penguin gives you a 30 min heat res buff.
    • Penguins provide aoe heat res naturally. The closer you are or a baby is the more res they get against heat.  
    •  
  • Rabbit
    • When worn character is 5-10% faster on feet.
    • Luck bonus to treasure
  • Rhino
    • Aimable Charge with high crit dmg from horn.
    •  
  • Seagull
    • Widened fog of war and can send/receive long range low weight items.
    • Weather warning
  • Sheep
    • Hugging a sheep gives you a 30 min cold res buff.
    • Sheep provide aoe cold res naturally. The closer you are or a baby is the more res they get against cold.  
  • Tiger
    • Rack: high dmg from claws
    • Surprise Attack Pounce: knocks target down and bites for high dmg chance to crit.  
  • Vulture
    • Face gauge that blinds and or bewilders.
    • Short burst to see targets health.
  • Wolf
    • BUFF Health and dmg output. It’s a wolf they are supposed to be dangerous.
    • Howl: Rallies nearby wolves to come to your aid temporarily. Random roll d20 + character level + wolf level to determine duration and to decide who wins aid if multi wolf howls are heard. Several min cooldown. If wolf A howls and obtains aid than wolf B can howl for a chance to break aid. Making the previously aided wolfs now hostile. If wolf Bs roll + character level + wolf level is high enough it not only breaks aid but turns those wolves to aid wolf Bs team. Howl range is based off wolf level.
    • Bite: high dmg chance to crit
    • Pounce: similar to tiger but no surprise crit dmg but does knock down target with a bite to follow.
  • Owl – provides night vision & mild stealth at night.
  • Eagle – able to scout area. Think assassins creed origin and greater zoom with rifle.
  • Goose – chance to lay golden egg.
  • Panther – naturally stealthy w/ a stealth bonus, fast attacks, pounce, claw rack
  • Saber-tooth – cold res when mounted, high dmg bite with high chance to crit, pounce, only found in tundra.
  • Lynx - quiet like a wolf, superior agility, fast attacks,   

Thank you. Cheers!

DC

Really would like to see anti-tame fighting abilities for infantry.  In any good war game there is usually a rock paper scissors system in place to balance combat.   The boat system does this fairly well bland is open ended enough to provide flexible strategy.

The ground game is pretty much dominated by tames, carbines and naked people punching.  Melee and archers stand no chance currently.  Particularly against tames in combat.  There should be some obvious strategies to encourage mixed arms tactics that allow anti tame.

Sure sniping people wearing plate armor and wrecking people riding a tiger is dope, but doesn't feel very piratey.  

Likewise some tames are useless because of these tactics.  Lions and wolves are too squishy to handle swivel guns and carbines.  

21 hours ago, Pchela Lesnaya said:

You will crucify me, but I would remove the opportunity to ride on predators. No tiger or lion will ride on horseback. Now this accumulation of animals, turns the romance of sailboats and piracy in addition to the ARC. People are building ugly boxes again and storing animals in them.

Actually this would make sense.  I'm down for riding animals but currently I the game is too reliant on it.  Can't remember the last time I fought something with melee.  

ok so 2 hours of reading this thread & 2 cups of cocoa downed & STILL I've seen nothing about 4 specific tames so here we go.

Rhino currently only gathers metal from pure metal & ignores common metal sources from stones that provide a Stone, Flint, & Metal type, I'm sure I don't need to say how stupid this is as I'm sure lots of you have come across an island with oh lets say copper but no pure metal nodes so your Rhino is useless as a metal harvester on this island type. I find this incredibly vexing and have come up with a simple rate 1 to 10/10 so for every Stone & flint gathered a Rhino should also gather one metal so when striking a common rock Rhino Gathers 100 Stone, 100 Flint, & 20 Metal this makes Rhino better for all metals not just the pure metal nodes.

Shieldhorn, Razortooth, Leatherwing: these NEED to be tamable on ALL Powerstone islands NOT JUST on the Turquoise stones island.

I hope lots of people see & agree how stupid the Rhino's gathering & the taming limitation is on the 3 Current Dinosaurs.

Also if you just make it so that tames don't fall off of boats randomly (just this week I have come across 5 bears in the middle of the ocean and our tame master lost his OG level 75 perfect tame bear to this) or they don't dissapear into oblivion (Happened to me four times while riding tames.  Tames disappear into nothing.) or that the collision doesn't mess up (spend about 5% of my time unsticking my tames) I'd be extremely grateful.

Nothing makes me want to quit more than when logging in to find my bear clipped into the floor and incapacitated.  Instead of going on an adventure I'm going to spend the next 30-45 minutes tearing down my structures and rebuilding, just to get my bear out.

Also tames are a mandatory part of the game and I don't like it.  Players who spec out of taming/riding should be provided perks inventives for doing so.  Right now there are none unless you never plan on leaving da boat.

Please oh please fix neutral vs passive.  I shouldn't have to remember only to get killed by vultures, knocked out by a snake to watch my tame die or frantically have to log back in during a server reboot.   An option for passive near the feeding station only would help fix this. 

And for the love of God fix the damn cobras clipping through stone.   Don't know how many innocent tames die to this.  The Cobra clipping in general is bad.   Elephants can't even walk over their corpses.   In fact if you removed them from the game no one would miss them.  

On 2/13/2019 at 5:06 PM, The Avatar DC said:

Make all gatherers passive tames but add gathering levels like the Therizinosaurus from Ark. This way they are easy to tame initially but you have to work with them to make them more effective at gathering. Add the option to turn off berry collection.

Add combat levels to predator tames that make them more effective eventually the more you work with them (stay as bolo tames)

Bears, Elephants etc. would still have their base damage but would not have option for combat levels so they would not be the perfect choice for a combat mount.

So, for example,  a fully combat leveled wolf of a similar level would be more powerful than a bear as the bear does not have the option to increase combat levels

I agree HOWEVER Bear SHOULD get BOTH a Combat level & resource specific gathering increase to Fiber bushes, Thatch bushes, & Honey reason being in NO WORLD should a bear lose to a wolf solo the dogo's NEED to hunt in packs for a reason

ok current observations

levelling the animals, there seems to be a discrepancy between what the game is telling you the level will move to, and the actual level obtained, its been like this since at least the 20th of January when I first noticed it see pick.

levels.thumb.jpg.03f09c201c261295eeaf6c183c892b48.jpg

The available levels of animals so far in my wanderings bar the untameable islands i have only seen mid 20s animals wandering about where are the level 100s what are the Max tame level??

In Ark its a case of rock, paper, scissors. you obtain a small animal, level him up, tackle larger animals until you can start taming them, tame them and move up the food chain with a Giga/Dragon type animal being the ultimate goal, we don't seem to have that mechanic within Atlas, and that's a shame as it helps both PvE and PvP game play and also helps with the endgame Boss type creatures as your survivability is improved.

Animals for me are the Swiss army knife of game play, I am looking for a combat, meat gather (Bear) a resource harvester (Elephant for Wood, Bear for fibre not tried the Giraffe yet for thatch rhino stone metal) but I am looking for animals that are better at it than myself with maxed out gather rates to warrant the animals capture / upkeep costs.

it would be good if the rhino had the ability to obtain some metal from normal rock like the Anki does in Ark, as finding metal in some areas is a real chore, my main issues with the rhino is the massive drop in stamina when running, and you have to run as its wayyyy to slow to walk anywhere, so run , stop, run, stop and pray to god that nothing aggressive pops up or your in dodo, the rhino attack radius also seems poor, I have lost animals when being attacked from the sides and then being unable to turn and face then head-on as needed, even jumping off does not always allow them to turn sufficiently to face the threat.

Water tames, where are they? a crock or shark would be a god send for wreck explorations and general fish harvesting.

The disappearing animals, I have had an elephant vanish when on a boat, moved a bear and literally turned my back for a few seconds, turning back, gone poof, no bouncing animation with it trying to wander away, it did not go under or in the ship just poof, also had a similar issue with a bear but on this occasion it was there but invisible bar for its poop, and if you tried to walk through where it was it would stop you, the only solution was to have an animal attack myself and then the bear reappeared to attack that animal!

Ghost Crew

20190216122525_1.thumb.jpg.9ac4ac5782df877074c217be926ad66a.jpg

Is Atlas trying to be environmental friendly? with the crews cleaning the ocean floor 🙂

I have had this issue multiple times jump on the ship and no crew, check the ship and I can see the crew are on-board but if you swim down to them they wont follow or respond to commands, after a server restart they are back where they need to be, also had a similar issue where you move the ship the crew appear to either stay where the ship was or jump off to the horizon a server jump does not seem to reset that issue.

Breeding / Hitching Posts

Can we get a hitching post please going back to pens seems a backwards step?

Trying to breed it would be helpful rather than saying the area is un-compatable to say move to type X, or introduce a temperature control unit similar to Arks aircon units, this would also allow the baby's long term to have a controlled environment for maturing in, the Penguins would be an ideal candidate for that task.

Rearing the baby's have you considered a potential quest to obtain a farmer type NPC to takeover the chore of feeding and looking after the baby's, again a slight twist on the Ark S+ solution and Gold powered rather than a generator, you could extend the idea to cover a farmer for the crop plots as well?

Rearing times, do they have to be so longgggg again, an evening to go from a baby to an adult would suit smaller/solo groups rather than the mega tribes who have 24/7 members available to hand feed baby's.

Taming

Larger cadges,  ideally we could do with this and have it usable in claimed areas, something elephant sized would be ideal as currently if your on a fully claimed island and solo you need to be on the back of a bear, bola in hand and pray to god you don't get killed when trying to feed the animal, and then have to run back from the ship if you are killed, hoping the bear does not kill the tame when its free and attacks it, the Ark mechanic of knocking them out was better in this respect, as you need to protect the sleeping animal from predators, perhaps a "taming" set of armour that would block the damage obtained as a quest would help with this? 

Fire Elementals ETC

Having run the gauntlet of the fountain of youth once so far, what an utter pain in the bottom, dodging the packs of Gorgons, elementals, level 150 animals, etc was.

Throwing myself at this time after time after time was not in my opinion a fun evening, just frustration, I have not yet seen many videos where a successful solution to this was seen other than very slowly shooting your way through them, frustratingly even a support ship does not seem to be the answer here, ideally I would like a tame that can take some of this on and survive a few rounds?

keep up the good work 😉

@Jatheish

Firstly I agree with the top posts of this thread already and they've pretty much hit all of the marks. 

There are some things I haven't seen others type though, but I only read the first page with the top posts so they may have already been posted before:

Vultures are pathetic and a nuisance (this has been written about already but I have such a strong dislike for them that I need to vent). Not only are they useless as a tame, they quite often screw you over when you're taming. OH LOOK a low health creature that's weak and trapped... let's kill it! I get that this is VERY realistic but good lord I'm kept on my toes when trying to tame something that's already hard enough to tame as it is, trying to keep my eyes and ears peeled for those pesky twots... Also, their attack/movement animation is so fast and glitchy they're quite often impossible to target unless miraculously trapped between something or you're on a mount. EDIT: During taming I haven't noticed any Vultures attacking in the middle of it, so perhaps this got fixed? Or I got lucky.

Cows should be rideable like sheep and should be able to be fed Thatch after tamed. When successfully taming a Cow it should not read 'Tamed a Bull' - I believe this is the reason when breeding we always get Bulls and never Cows.

Sheep should give Fibre when shorn as wool is not a Hide or skin, it is a Fibre used for making warm clothes and padding cushions for softness.

Bears are really great, but my biggest problem is that they collide with floor foundations so easily and get stuck on them, especially in mountainous areas where people are spamming foundations in Lawless regions. They can't jump and this is fine, but getting stuck on foundations, trees and rocks/structures is frustrating, especially when you think you've made your way around it only to be rubber banded back to the original point.

Ostriches are fantastic and yet I see people diss them so much! I understand that on PVP they are sorely limited, but I love their run speed, how easily they traverse over small objects (unlike the bear getting stuck on everything) and their jump is awesome. The only thing I would say about them is perhaps increase their tamed attack speed and give them some special skill like a super run speed boost and perhaps able to gather a bit more thatch like a stone pick axe. As these creatures quite often come together in a flock/group, giving them a sort of pack buff could be beneficial as well but not necessary, it just makes sense.

Wolves are useless. They run out of stamina incredibly quickly, they have low health, low attack and apparently can't even chomp through a Crocodile's face (as mentioned below), nor attack a Cobra (as mentioned below) without doing circles and clipping through. The cold buff is pointless when the mount is so weak and has such a low carry weight, it's just not worth taming. Its only perk is that it has a very fast attack speed, but it's not even really a perk because everything else is so bad. It howls but that doesn't even do anything... I'd suggest, if they're going to have a Howl, that it gives a temporary buff to all other tamed Wolves in your vicinity, or rallies them to attack your target. A pack buff for these creatures makes the most sense out of everything as well, but I understand that could potentially become quickly overused and overpowered.

Horses realistically should be a passive tame that run away if you get too close, like the Rabbit and Monkey. It makes no sense to have to beat down a passive animal and bola it when you could just go up to it, pet it and feed it until it befriends you, the catch being that, as in the wild, you would have to be very cautious with a horse, lest it be spooked and run away. If I wanted to be technical I would figure out a way to introduce Lassoing via a timed mini-game/mechanic.

Why are Lions even more useless than wolves? And they're Tier 3 tames? Lions are huge, fast and powerful creatures! Increase their tamed base attack damage, make their right click usable only on creatures the same size or smaller than themselves and increase their base health to at least 300. A tier 3 tame weaker than a tier 2 tame that's already weak... this makes 0 sense as it currently is. 

The Rabbit enemy awareness mechanic is next to useless, reducing the tame to a cuddly toy. A speed buff, as suggested by many others, or a luck buff would be nicer, or at least a more visible/audible warning when it detects dangerous creatures than is currently in play.

Breeding is far too punishing as it is now. I turned my back for 5 minutes and my little babby was dead as a door nail on the floor... Having to sit at your computer for 8+ hours straight while this thing matures is way too much. I'd suggest increasing the baby's food carry limit from 5 or slowing down its health loss. Also, shouldn't it just be able to drink its mother's milk or Cow's milk?

Honestly I would just redesign the current breeding mechanic entirely. The baby should be kept close to its mother at all times during its growth, up to a certain point, and it should be able to feed from its mother. The mother in turn would lose hunger at an increased rate and perhaps have her Torpor slowly drain, meaning she needs to rest more often until the baby is matured. Tames that lay eggs, such as Ostriches, you could have an Incubator Crate, stuffed with straw/fibres or, again, just have it close to the parents to keep it 'warm'. 

These aren't tamable creatures below (though it would be cool to ride a Croco for fast water travel!)  but they're creatures and these issues have been putting me off playing recently:

The Cobra hit box and collision is ridiculous and overly frustrating. When fighting a Cobra (unless you're on an Elephant) it is quite often infuriating; it circles around you, clips through you, looks like it's in range of your attack but is apparently untargettable... this makes Alpha Cobras really scary and I just cannot be bothered wasting time with it unless I'm on a very high level Bear or Elephant. Alpha Cobras also currently have a nasty habit of spawning inside my pens and killing my tames when I'm offline - this is further worsened by the fact that they are so hard to target and clip through things. I'm certain that most tames end up dying to this creature purely because of the shitty targetting/hitbox that it has. I also can't remount a tame if I'm knocked off or unmounted when a Cobra starts attacking - its visual interaction box/hit box is just so weird and 'in the way' that the 'Ride/Inventory' option doesn't appear until the Cobra is lured away or its body dragged away when dead. 

The Crocodile also has a shitty hitbox but nowhere near as bad as the Cobra. When trying to target it with smaller tames likes Wolves and sometimes Ostriches, you're literally smacking or chomping its face off and it does nothing. You try to run to its side and bite its ribcage but it just rubber bands you back to where you were or teleports around you. I think, long story short, you should be able to smack at its head/face and deal damage without issues, no matter the mount or weapon.

Alphas: Currently still spawning way too much in certain biomes. I saw 5 Alpha Cobras the other day in B6, on Blaincier Island, within the space of an hour. I also saw multiple other Alphas all dotted around from various species within that hour. Cobras are a pain in the ass with their hit box and clipping issues. Lions are so strong and terrifying because you can't mount up and take it on without being knocked off and if you try to go against it with a larger mount like an Elephant, it will just run circles around you and eventually kill your mount - the only way I managed to kill one the other day was to get it trapped in the corner of my base while it ran in to the wall and I continuously knocked it forward with my Elephant, or to bring an army of Bears.

Everything should be tamable (I know this is already being worked on but finding out I couldn't make a Chocobo farm was really disappointing XD) 

The jump from Small gate to Large is ridiculous. I know it's been said already but I'll up it again by saying there needs to be a Medium gate in between.

Edited by ShivanQueen
Just found out how useless Lions are, so adding my thoughts on that.
  • Like 4

Just some basic comments

Enable breeding of all tames

Ensure that maturation imprinting is working (currently on unofficial there is no imprinting bonus based on cuddletime and cuddletime is default to 8 hours)

As it stands today, there are no tames that can carry you through a PVE island, the balance(or lack there of) against PVE critters is absolutely ridiculous 

You gotta a lot to unpack here with all these amazing suggestions from the community, so I'll keep my list short. Basically I'm all in favor for weight upgrades to carry animals like the bull and such and buffs for the more aggresive creatures

Bears. Keep bears as they are now, they've become very important and pivotal for the economy of every company. That means time and effort invested in those creatures. Nerfing them will only get you a wave of disconfort. Maybe some minor adjustments inherit from new features like a better invetory system or something like that. You can Balance bears without nerfing their stats. Check  Lions/Tigers. 

Crows. I would reserve something related to TAROT for these creatures.

Vultures. It saddens me to see vultures are so useless right now, I remember how useful and cool they were in ark. I'm thinking maybe you couldrestraint the way they behave right now, similar to how you were able to modify the Ichthyornis behavior and add some sort of buff when collecting prime meat, mutton or such or maybe add a resistance bonus to elements or a buff for food consumption. You guys mentioned something about modifying how vitamins will work in the future maybe vultures can make reaching certain food status like vitamin balance or well fed or any future status you got stored for us.

Wolves.  Man I get it you need a lower tier animal that newbs can kill with pikes and stuff like that but you gotta understand that people love wolves, it's harder to kill a turtle than it is to kill a wolf you know...something needs to be done here. Maybe add a "wild dog" new creature that fits the role and give wolves the role they deserve. Everyone is talking about a pack buff and I'm sure there are 20 good suggestions for that. So that would be my idea reskin wolves make then thinner or something like that and call it something else and then give true wolves something better to do. This is a perspective issue. People love them, is a thing. I bet no one would say anything about their hps or fighting proficencies if it was called a fox.  

Lions/Giant Crabs. YES Lions and Crabs because they share an issue even though Crabs are not a thing right now, you can't use them in PVE. How are you gonna introduce Crabs to PVE when currently the ability to grab things is prohibited. The Lions ability to grab creatures is not active in pve atm, so we gonna have another SUPERCOOL but usless creature to pve? Lions should be able to use their Grab ability and so should Crabs. I don't know how hard it is to add a simple FLAG (code line / restriction ) to this feature, but they should be able to grab anything but players in pve. 

Lions vs Tigers. Lions should have at least the same HP pool as tigers and both should get a weight buff, nothing overpowered but 200+ basic stat it's just too damn low. Both are supposed to be war creatures. You wanna balance the bear? Give these Two their Proper Role cause right now eeeveryone is just using a bear as a combat mount, for treasure hunting, for exploration, etc you can do a lot with these two. Maybe add some damage resistance bonuses. I've seen at least 15 good suggestions here on how to improve both creatures but the majority of players agree they need a hp and weight buff. 

That's it!
Cya on the battlefield.
:happycthulhu:

Edited by Tormentor

I hope we can have a Slaughterhouse put two pigs or two bulls, and 1 npc inside to probduce meat automatically. They will breed inside by themselves.

On 2/13/2019 at 2:17 PM, Lotus said:

@Jatheish

As a designer I would scrap how animals are at this point. Currently this game is turning into an Ark expansion. I would decide to stop living in Ark's shadow. Currently I've done all PvE material so my day consists of riding around on a level 70 bear with elephants behind me harvesting X resource with hopes of actually needing blue print weapons to complete the next PvE tier. Currently riding is basically a requirement for things to do effectively either everything else needs to be brought up or beastmastery needs to be brought down.

I would change the tree to crew. It would allow you to get animals but the animals would have something they bring to the table and not be rideable. The shoulder mount thing would be fine but cruising around on (current meta tame) is basically Ark. So I now have a blank slate and need to make it so I can get tames. I would want it to be a  low chance from mate boosted animals when you harvest their bodies or a high chance from an alpha. Could also put a vendor in the game that sells the babies. So now my players have a baby X. This whole temperature thing currently is silly and the way to fix it going to require a lot of resources from my company (grapeshot) so the cost would be too great to keep this. The concept is cool but the creation and implementation creates a poor user interaction with it so I would scrap it. The concept of feeding animals something special is a good one so I could fill up a bear with honey and it would mature faster or just use berries cause they are easy but longer time until they are grown.

So now I have a way for players to get tames so I now need to make them useful. This would be the bottom tiers of the crew tree.  Different animals would have a function that fall into combat or utility. For this I would think of how I envision an amazing creature of the type.

• Bear- Combat- Taunt enemies around the player acting as a tank.
  • Chicken- Utility- When on wander produces eggs
  • Cow- Utility- Produces milk (more on wander)
  • Bull- Utility- when on wander fertilizes nearby crops
  • Crow- Shoulder- When you die acts as a bed.
  • Razortooth- Combat- nerfs alphas.
  • Shieldhorn- Combat- Produces a shield that deflects projectiles. (Currently elementals have little counter play)
  • Elephant- Utility- When on wander collects wood.
  • Giant Pig- Utility- When on wander finds buried items.
  • Giraffe- Utility- When on wander gathers thatch.
  • Horse- Utility- Rideable, pulls carriage and cargo which helps tranports large amounts of people or heavy amounts of resources great distances (we need something that makes unloading a galley not horrible)
  • Lion- Combat- grabs smaller creatures.
  • Monkey- Shoulder- barehanded becomes climbing picks at a much higher stam use rate.
  • Ostrich- Utility- Harvests seeds when on wander.
  • Parrot- Shoulder- Makes musical instruments easier to play and buffs the buff radius.
  • Penguin- shoulder- fortitude buff.
  • Rabbit- Shoulder- When on shoulder provides a movement speed.
  • Rhino- Utility- When on wander gathers stone.
  • Seagull- Shoulder- When on shoulder reduces/removes fog debuff
  • Sheep- Utility- When on wander gathers fiber
  • Tiger- Combat- reduces movement speed of enemies.
  • Vulture- Utility- When on shoulder decreases vitamin depletion.
  • Wolf- Combat- has a howl that increases damage.
  • Turtle- Make tameable- Shoulder- Increase swimspeed, decreases oxygen use, and reduces deep diving debuff.
  • Rattlesnake- Utility- When on wander produces venom, venom is used for anti-venom which reduces torpidity.

So now that I have all these super cool animals I need to transport them and the current bug is they fall off (scavenging tames in the ocean is super lucrative I know a guy that got a Razortooth) I would make it so boats have a animal attachment that is basically a cage and when you send the animal to it the animal gets turned into more of an item that is placed inside the cage instead of being on the boat (no more lost at sea tames yay). We now need somewhere to put all these wandering tames. I would make it so tames on wander don't leave your territory. I would also make it so you can apply a filter on the map to see where certain tames are.

Now for the meaty part of the new tree. I would make it so NPC's you get from SotD have a type of suffix like Bob. Bob would be a builder. You would need points in crew to hire Bob and then you can put him on a smithy. If you have skills in construction you would be able to make things like stone at a reduced cost. The points in crew would only be to get Bob, the points in construction would make it so you can get the discounted building from Bob. This would make Bob your righthand man when it comes to construction of things. You would still need the recipe to make it though. So getting NPC's and keeping them alive would have benefits beyond "I need guys on my sails" which you would want to keep around because sailor NPC's would make your sails better.

This would lead into reworks of the other skill trees, I would make farming capable of making the large crop plots grow fiber,thatch, and wood that the NPC's can harvest at a drastically reduced rate. The rate they harvest can be modified by giving them higher end tools.

Artillery tree would also get access to alchemists that can be put on a mortar and pestle that will make it so you can stack unlimited resources inside it and queue up organic paste for more than 220 at a time... it would also make it faster to give the QoL that is missing from the chemistry station.

I could keep talking about how I would change it but the TL:DR is make animals more companion rather than a requirement but still have meaning. Make NPC's more than a parasite when you arn't sailing. As a designer I would change a lot of things but for creatures this is what I would do.

~Lotus

Yes, this is a great idea for PvE I am sick of having to hurt stuff to make it my friend. The animals could eventually breed with no special help or, neuter them and they stay in pasture maybe? It does really knock the ARK out of it. I can see this idea would support better graphics as there would not be to much need for these huge unrealistic buildings. But my only thought on this idea, what about animals that will kill your tames easily if you're not on them? Or the troll that kills your animals out wandering around? Maybe the PvE factor would take care of the last one.

I want to break a horse like we have done it for real, move around the horse try to feed it throw the saddle it goes crazy! when it gets to a level of calm try to ride it and it runs around with you on their back and bucks and some horses retain a little of their wildness (not all random chance) until you breed them.

There should be a cage or a special ship when traveling with animals that status them as something else into a database.

The NPC's not sure how that would work? But, you definitely could make the forming of small towns with this configuration.