INVALID

Creature Designer

• Bear - In a good place. Great gatherer. Also tanky enough to be multipurpose. With Elephants, you can base all gathering tames on this tanky model.
  • Chicken - In a good place. Supplies lots of eggs.
  • Cow - It would be nice if we could milk a small amount from wild cows, otherwise cows are a prime candidate for a cargo saddle that actually works for cargo.
  • Bull - Bulls could fill the missing niche of an accessible thatch farming tame, as well as another candidate for carrying weight with a cargo saddle that works for cargo.
  • Crow - I like how crows work, my complaints are with int itself and how you need to dedicate a respec in order to craft.
  • Razortooth - These should be the highest tier hostile tame for doing pve/golden age
  • Shieldhorn - These should remain the best thatch gatherer if you introduce more viable gatherers of thatch
  • Elephant - In a good place. Platform Saddle?
  • Giant Pig - Needs something to do other than pooping, farming for valuables if left on wander or giving them the functionality of shovels might work.
  • Giraffe - Potential thatch farmer.  Platform Saddle?
  • Horse - Would make it a passive tame, and make characters with Sneak ranks not spook horses.
  • Lion - Tamed Wolves and Lions and Tigers are too weak in general, should be strong enough to survive encounters in golden age islands in a small group.
  • Monkey - Let them steal for us like in ARK
  • Ostrich -  Give them a proper glide that costs stamina
  • Parrot -  Insulation is nice, but there should be something more on these guys. Shoulder pets don't all have to be amazing, but parrots should be in a pirate game.
  • Penguin - In a good place.
  • Rabbit - Like other tiny pets, rabbits need something to give them value other than their cuteness factor. Perhaps a reason to let them breed like rabbits? If you give them a unique Hide then there is a great reason to farm their pelts.
  • Rhino - Make them hit rocks before they hit trees/anything else. Otherwise in a good place.
  • Seagull - Fix their crazy levels, otherwise they should be good as is as the designated diving pets. Maybe add the fishing functions from Ark?
  • Sheep - Make their scissor harvest into fiber, not hide.
  • Tiger - Tamed Wolves and Lions and Tigers are too weak in general, should be strong enough to survive encounters in golden age islands in a small group.
  • Vulture - Tone down the AoE hostility and give them the ability to be sent to harvest corpses and return with the meat. Maybe this (or other underwhelming shoulder pets) could warn of things like storms/weather like aberration, or nearby enemies like parasaurs in Ark.
  • Wolf - Tamed Wolves and Lions and Tigers are too weak in general, should be strong enough to survive encounters in golden age islands in a small group. Tamed Wolves especially need buffs to keep up.

Note that all of this comes from a PVE point of view with 723 hours played in Atlas and 3856 in ARK. Thanks for listening.

The pve side of the game could be balanced around tames more, but golden age ruins are currently a crap shoot even with them. Nerf the islands, buff the tames.

Cargo saddles are necessary to see tames reach the place they should be at. Before you nerf quality of life by making us immobile when over weight limit, make horse/cow and cargo saddle trips more efficient than dropping the entire box on the ground then slooooowly walking it back.

Just... Buff the quality of life before/while nerfing it, please.

English is not my best language, thank you for taking the time to do this 🙂

Edited by Ratthew Rattson
changed wording on pig and parrot
  • Like 8

Thank you for asking for our opinions, this is really appreciated!

There's a few things I'd change:

- The lions are too weak, low health, low stamina and way too low weight make them useless compared to other animals

- The tamed wolfes also are too weak, they die too easily and don't do enough damage anymore

- Horses are perfectly fine in my opinion, since they barely do any damage and you have to do all your fighting on it's back alone. They'd get useless if they're nerfed more

- Penguins need a Bonus Buff

- Bulls and Giraffes should be stronger, we also need a thatch animal, Pick is still much better

Also please, please make breeding easier! You have to watch the babies for 10+ hours and can't leave them alone at all because they die at a heat or cold front.. Maybe give them a resistence Buff when they're close to the mother so we can actually do something else while they grow up. And make them eat less. I also don't understand why you can't breed animals in a biome where you can actually find wild ones, like how did they get there? xD

It's just not worth it right now, since they barely gain any stats and taming is muuuuch shorter and easier. I'd really love to breed but it just doesn't make much sense at the moment 😄

I also wanted to say I really appreciate the nerfs on alpha animals! One can actually survive meeting an alpha lion now with a high level Bear. It used to be very frustrating. And I'd like Pinto Horses and maybe Draft horse types, maybe as a mutation from breeding with different patterns, but that's just a womans dream, it's not important xD

Edited by Anni

Oh also absolute lmao at everyone calling the disgustingly overpowered jack-of-all-trades bear "fine"

• Sad 1

• Bear -- Remove the cargo cart ability, bear is allready powerfull by itself with the cart its utterly OP.
  • Chicken -- Fine as is
  • Cow -- Fine as is
  • Bull -- should have the ability to pull the cargo cart
  • Crow -- seems fine
  • Razortooth -- no idea from what story you got this "animal" it doesnt fit the rest of Atlas, remove completly or at least the taming.
  • Shieldhorn -- no idea from what story you got this "animal" it doesnt fit the rest of Atlas, remove completly or at least the taming.
  • Elephant -- Stamina regeneration is utter crap needs a buff othervise okay
  • Giant Pig -- Fine as is
  • Giraffe -- currently no use at all, maybe make a saddle that is climbable on the neck to use as mobile ladder
  • Horse -- Fine as is
  • Lion -- Grab is anoying and not working correctly with bad latency, change to small stun
  • Monkey -- door opener like in ark unless it allready can?
  • Ostrich --  add Terrorbird flapping
  • Parrot -- add a small post building you can "leash" a Parrot to, to have it circle above and warn of incomming enemys similar to parasaur
  • Penguin -- buff effect too small and range is hard to predict, add a circle while holding H maybe
  • Rabbit --
  • Rhino -- add to harvest ability to gather small amounts of metal from normal rock, could use better stamina use on sprinting
  • Seagull -- Gather fish for you and / or add view range on a ship
  • Sheep -- fix its invisible tail, every time you get off you get stuck in nothingness behind it
  • Tiger  --
  • Vulture --
  • Wolf -- bit weak after the last change maybe get pack bonus like in ark
Edited by Gorrir

1 hour ago, Jatheish said:
  • Bear - No Change
  • Chicken - No Change But Falls Through Floor
  • Cow - No Change
  • Bull - Increased Thatch Yield
  • Crow - No Change
  • Razortooth (Don't Have Yet So Can't Comment)
  • Shieldhorn - Increased Thatch / Metal Yield
  • Elephant - Ignore Items Folder to Ignore Berries
  • Giant Pig - More Pooping
  • Giraffe - Increased Yield of Resources
  • Horse - No Change
  • Lion - Big Tamed Attack Buff
  • Monkey - No Change
  • Ostrich - FIX THE DAMN DISMOUNT BUG.... WHERE YOU CANT MOVE OFF UNLESS SOMEONE ELSE WHISTLES IT OUT FROM UNDER YOU... And also maybe Increased Tankiness
  • Parrot - No Change
  • Penguin - No Change
  • Rabbit - Potential Increased Yield Per Hit Buff / Movement Buff
  • Rhino - Increased Base Stamina
  • Seagull - No Change
  • Sheep - No Change
  • Tiger - Attack Buff
  • Vulture - No Change
  • Wolf - Tamed Attack Buff

Only thing to add is flying creatures have a weird hit box so fixing that would be decent

ADDENDUM: My Incredibly awesome friend would like ballistas on Giraffes and Elephants x'D

Edited by TritochUK

I would downsize the pet animals to look more realistic. The closest to real is the monkey and the parrot, but could be smaller. I say that because i am an ark player and the animals in Atlas with the actual size and skin/fur colors still looks a bit like dinos one.

Seagull:

A true mate of the fisherman. Will help with pulling up heavier-sized fish and get more meat from one while mounted on a shoulder.

1 minute ago, Antoine said:

Rofl. Inside caves? Powerstones? Are you kidding me? Have you tried to fight those bats with a sword when you cant even walk through players. Guns for long distance. Right.. no kidding. Even then a blunderbuss hardly slows a bear down, and good luck reloading whe  it's on you. Tames are the problem with the game because they render everything else secondary. Why even have picks or axes when an animal does everything better and survives better than a person? 

We don’t have yet machine to do harvesting instead animals. Check in history what people can’t live without animals help. 🙂 

Lots of people asking for thatch animal dont seem to understand thats one of the bears strong suits. If you have ground thatch around then you can farm 100k+ in an hour.
Also, crows negate fall damage, most you take is 5hp fall damage with one on your shoulder. This should not change, as they are very useful when building high up or getting off mountains quickly.
Seems as though some people underestimate or fail to fully utilize their tames.

I'd change the way most are tamed.  If the animal isn't aggressive allow for passive tame like it's a cow.  I get you guys didn't want to copy ark and just have people narcing down the animals but the mini game mentality of shoot, shoot, shoot, bolla, feed, feed, feed, feed, shoot, shoot, bolla, etc doesn't make taming more interesting or interactive.  Currently it's no fun as majority of people drag things into pens because the ai's mechanics are so stupid and let's be honest they wont change before release.

- Flying animals should be domesticated in a small cage or something.
- Flying animals could carry loads from point A to point B. They would be useful to carry loads of 10 or something. This would involve creating a birdhouse.
- The sheep should get milk.
- Some attribute of the cows (or sheep) should serve to improve their production, right?
- Would it be possible for an animal to take random resources from the area from security? You leave them loose (without them dying) and that every hour, in a box, you release a few resources of whatever kind.
- If you change the way you do the crops, it would be good to have the field plowed instead of using a shovel.
- Please, more food recipes with more variety and possibilities.
- You could make the elevator system work with animals.
- Why not make a type of mill that works with animals and serves to remove flour from wheat or oil from olives? (For when can you get oil from the olives?
- You could encourage taking an animal on such as the monkey or the crow. For example, taking a raven or a monkey, that from time to time you get an indicative in a point, let it move as you want and bring you something that is hidden (gold, recipe, object, poop ...).

Oh, and another thing that allowing crewmembers to be useful as something other than turning the AI on weapons to on - It gives a reason to the ones you rescue from SOTD.  Right now, the ONLY value to rescued crewmembers is that you didn't have to sit in a freeport to get them, and since freeports eat ships, you take massive decay hiring them.  That's it.

Let me rescue Bob the builder, who gives a rebate on crafting building parts.  Let me rescue people who know forrestry (increase gathering at wood station), animal husbandry (make taming easier and need less food), etc.  

Give crew a point other than just being a way to turn on AI on weapons

We need some type of thatch gathering animal. With the amount of thatch that is required, the best thing to gather with is currently a pick. 

• Like 1

Just fix the crew...Sit locations when manning sails(Need to kneel at sail they're manning not on rails(Or half off the rail in some cases))...Ai Route when following is horrendous..absolutely no value to having crew except don't have to man sails or cannons myself. pain in Arse to move them, use them..... and they eat gold more than food...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Robotukas said:

We don’t have yet machine to do harvesting instead animals. Check in history what people can’t live without animals help. 🙂 

Literally if you read my first post it stated the game should be balanced, not realistic. How in 2019 are you using realism as a point for games? You wanna talk realism, go ahead and tell me how many pirates road bears and kept penguins. Literally the tools do harvesting. But if animals were specific to harvesting that would be fine, lowering their health wouldn't touch that aspect. Infact that's what I'm advocating. Is that animals are more specific to harvesting and less for pvp. Its nuts, all you ever see is bears and horses toting cannons or swivel guns. Literally ruins guns and melee weapons. Weapons should be less niche than animals.

• Like 1

Just now, Antoine said:

Literally if you read my first post it stated the game should be balanced, not realistic. How in 2019 are you using realism as a point for games? You wanna talk realism, go ahead and tell me how many pirates road bears and kept penguins. Literally the tools do harvesting. But if animals were specific to harvesting that would be fine, lowering their health wouldn't touch that aspect. Infact that's what I'm advocating. Is that animals are more specific to harvesting and less for pvp. Its nuts, all you ever see is bears and horses toting cannons or swivel guns. Literally ruins guns and melee weapons. Weapons should be less niche than animals.

Idea is having tools is boost from beginning. If you want more then you have to think about animals. I really like game design when dev make connections between player and animals. When you talk about balance take in consideration is it PvE or PvP. I am talking about PvE

Nerf the bear. Its the best tame for gathering fiber, best for gathering thatch (ground leaves), carries a ton of weight at a very high speed and has excellent combat ability. 

Bear should be best at fiber and be a good weight/speed mix.

Bear, horse and bull. Should all have cargo saddle and have differ speed weight trade offs. Bear weight can be reduced by 25% and top speed reduced by 20%, this make horse a good speed option. Give the bull the previous bear weight and its your weight option.

Lion/tiger should have more combat ability than bear.

Geraff should be able to harvest thach faster than the bear.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Robotukas said:

Idea is having tools is boost from beginning. If you want more then you have to think about animals. I really like game design when dev make connections between player and animals. When you talk about balance take in consideration is it PvE or PvP. I am talking about pve.

tools should be superior to animals at higher quality, and I'm fairly certain they are at mythic. Your paradigm for pve is clearly not relevant to my statement as I've been talking about warfare and combat. Keep your tames at 1000% health on pve, who cares. Its uninteresting for pvp.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jatheish said:

Let's play a game! If you were a designer, what would you change about the following tamable creatures? We often hear feedback that players don't find value in most of the ones we've tamable, and I know some ideas have been shared in various threads previously but figured I'd make a giant thread where y'all can suggest. Not saying any of this is going to happen, but curious to see what you suggest.

• Bear
  • Chicken
  • Cow
  • Bull
  • Crow
  • Razortooth
  • Shieldhorn
  • Elephant
  • Giant Pig
  • Giraffe
  • Horse
  • Lion
  • Monkey
  • Ostrich
  • Parrot
  • Penguin
  • Rabbit
  • Rhino
  • Seagull
  • Sheep
  • Tiger
  • Vulture
  • Wolf

I thought this game was going to be more focused on pirate ship pvp and not Ark with boats. Highly disappointed with all the combat tames that ruin raiding and ground pvp.

Remove all the combat tames and only have farming tames. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Purely from a PVE point of view, can only comment on things ive used, but heres my 2cents.

• Bear - little too good atm, a jack of all trades, and master of all. could do with a slight nerf, but its hard to see where you could nerf them.
  • Chicken - fine spot imo, gives a steady stream of eggs.
  • Cow - fine imo
  • Bull - really terrible spot atm, its not even worth taming. should be made into a medium tier thatch gatherer.
  • Crow - I think the int buff should be more on the crow than having to respect into full int to craft better items (especially since theres no respect at max level available HINT HINT)
  • Razortooth - haven't used, and from what ive heard, wouldn't even bother trying to tame.
  • Shieldhorn - see above
  • Elephant - great at the wood gathering niche, could do with better stam regen
  • Giant Pig - too easy to kill, imo.
  • Giraffe - if im not mistaken, they were good for thatch, now im not sure what their use is. could use it as a lookout spot, similar to the parasaur in Ark, warning of predators?
  • Horse - just nerf their run speed, but give us the ability to level it perhaps?
  • Lion - similar to whats been said, could get a roar ability to scare off animals, also should not be able to grab people off larger tames (bears/elephants etc etc.)
  • Monkey - fine imo.
  • Ostrich - haven't used, imagine they should be a good scount mount on par with horses speed
  • Parrot - haven't used.
  • Penguin - should give aoe insulation allowing them to be used as a breeding tool.
  • Rabbit - haven't used
  • Rhino - increased weight/stam if there is no weight reduction in the game.
  • Seagull - should be a map finder, imo
  • Sheep - would consider wool as a fiber, not really a hide, could make it usable for BOTH though?
  • Tiger - fine afaik.
  • Vulture - haven't used/died to one yet
  • Wolf - nerf hit them hard, not really any use for them anymore aside from the buff, could give them the howl ability like on ark to buff damage of nearby tames? (without nature's cry)

Will also add, I think that breeding should be looked at, if in a small company or playing solo, you literally cannot breed currently without sacrificing a day or two being online staring at the infant.

Edited by Dan3rz

This is what I would want from these animals.

Also, Reduce the size of Behemoths? Or add a medium Gate. (and while we are at it, increase the costs of gates by ALOT. It is so ugly to travel around and watch all those gates walling in people. Make them so costly that you ever only want a minimum of gates)

• Bear - Feels pretty good, maybe a bit strong for a Tier2 tame.
  • Chicken - gives eggs, what more do we need?
  • Cow - Does its job, gives us milk and prime meats.
  • Bull - A cargo saddle to increase weight.
  • Crow - Add a bit to vision for the person carrying it.
  • Razortooth - Have not used this yet.
  • Shieldhorn - Have not used this yet.
  • Elephant - Might need a tad more stamina, and its LMB attack need a better hitbox, It rarely hit any resources every 2nd attack now, forcing to use the slower RMB even on a single tree.
  • Giant Pig - Why is this a Giant Pig? You already removed the "Giant" from creatures! Pig - Should be able to dig the ground like a shovel (for potatoes/earthworms, or maybe truffles for cooking?!)
  • Giraffe - Should get a buff to thatch gathering.
  • Horse - Have not used this yet.
  • Lion - The grab is horrible, at least increase the cooldown of it.
  • Monkey - Have not used this yet.
  • Ostrich - Feels good.
  • Parrot - Feels good.
  • Penguin - Feels good.
  • Rabbit - Luck bonus when digging up treasures? Like increasing the maps effective value with a % according to its level.
  • Rhino - More weight
  • Seagull - Should be able to fish.
  • Sheep - Female sheep should be able to be milked, like cows.
  • Tiger - Feels good.
  • Vulture - Needs something!
  • Wolf - Is a bit weak, maybe add some bonus to them for being in a pack, like the Compy in ARK

I know its a bit far fetched, but me and my crew always thought it would be an awesome feature to have parrots be able to relay a message to specific players like a direct chat feature would do. You'd radial menu the parrot, click on the relay message where'd you then type in the character name in a box and then the message in a box below and your parrot would relay that message. There has been times like when you see a floating animal from someone out on the water, you message in global (regional) chat but no response because they are elsewhere in the world. Would be nice to be able to let someone know that their tame is floating here in "specific zone" or something.

Also maybe a possible suggestion of reducing the hitbox size of elephant tusks and rhino horns? They are a pain to maneuver around each other.  Another thing, not sure its become away, but walking into a mast with a rhino when trying to position them on a ship will do 100+ dmg to the mast/sails currently. That would be awesome if that wasnt a thing

Edited by Arch Borealis
  • Like 1

• Bear - Nerf it's fiber gathering.  Remove saddles.  Reduce health.
  • Chicken - It's fine
  • Cow - It's fine
  • Bull - Buff it enough to make it the "lowest tier" of thatch gatherers.  Allow saddles.
  • Crow - It's fine.  Could even use an extra 'something', as currently it's just a "Put on my shoulder when crafting, ignore all other times" tame
  • Razortooth - This should be the crem de la crem of offensive tames.
  • Shieldhorn - Make it the "highest tier" of thatch gatherers.
  • Elephant - Increase health, at least higher than bears.  
  • Giant Pig - Slight health increase.  More players should be using these as shock troops
  • Giraffe - Make it the "mid-tier" of thatch gatherers.
  • Horse - Do not make this a passive tame.  Speed is fine.  Anyone complaining about it going too fast possibly has a terrible machine.  Lower weight.  Allow cargo/weight saddles.
  • Lion - All of the offensive T3 tames need a slight buff.  Do not buff them so high that you make the Razortooth a joke.
  • Monkey - Fine.  I like the idea of small secondary abilities that others have suggested.
  • Ostrich - Fix the dismount issue.  I believe it's the same speed as the horse?  If so, increase health, weight and damage slightly above the horse.  Do not allow saddles.
  • Parrot - Fine.  I like the idea of small secondary abilities that others have suggested.
  • Penguin - Give a small AOE insulation buff which also affects babies/juveniles.  Multiple penguins stack.
  • Rabbit - I like the idea of small secondary abilities that others have suggested.
  • Rhino - Slight increase to weight.
  • Seagull - Fine.  I like the idea of small secondary abilities that others have suggested.
  • Sheep - Changing fleece from hide to a fiber would make the tame a no-brainer.  No brainers are bad in games, do not do this.  Drastically reduce the amount of fleece given from harvesting a dead wild tame.
  • Tiger - All of the offensive T3 tames need a slight buff.  Do not buff them so high that you make the Razortooth a joke.  The Tiger and Lion need something to differentiate them more than a grab that's useless in PvP and a DOT.
  • Vulture - These are so meh right now that almost anything would be a good idea.
  • Wolf - All of the offensive T3 tames need a slight buff.  Do not buff them so high that you make the Razortooth a joke.  Allow saddles, which differentiates them from the Tiger/Lion.  Reduce Health, Weight and Melee Dmg to compensate for this.

Cargo saddles - Make them actual cargo saddles.  Remove the ability to put guns on them.  Make the saddle a container that has 20% reduced weight for all resources (resources only).  Weight on the saddle is counted against the tames total weight allowance.

NEW CREATION - War saddles - What the current cargo saddle is.  Reduction in speed to any tame with it on.

• Confused 1

Wild lions movement, and grabbing needs a nerd. Watching them basically warping around murdering everything in a 10 mile radius is kinda of ridiculous. Not to mention it's not fun to grabbed off a tame and unable to fight back effectively because the lion won't let go.

Elephants need a stamina regen buff. Every thing else regens quickly, but not Elephants they take a couple minutes even with a low lvl tame.

The elephant needs more health and Stamina.

Rhino - need more weight

Bears - Are ok.

Horse - Need more carrying weight

Bull - Need more carrying weight and more thach gatterring rate

I don't mind if they need to reduce health for some animals but also it must be some armour for pets. In that case will make more sense but also it will use more server resources.