INVALID

Creature Designer

Gonna start by undoing the nerf to creatures HP & Damage by 40% that was introduced many patches ago. This DESTROYED tames.

• Bear -Add another speed level to its charge. Lower its stamina use when charging by 25%
  • Chicken -Needs more HP
  • Cow - All good
  • Bull - Buff damage
  • Crow - Buff HP
  • Razortooth - Havent used extensively
  • Shieldhorn -Havent used extensively
  • Elephant - Increase attack radius by 10%. If its attack degree is 90, Buff it to like 110.
  • Giant Pig -What is this? The pig? If so buff HP GREATLY please. These things die to flintlocks 😭
  • Giraffe - Buff damage, It was a thatch gatherer in the beginning, Now its useless.
  • Horse - SLOW DOWN. Please, They are LIGHTNING fast, High HP, High Weight already. So overpowered.
  • Lion - Not able to attack players on mounts. I found it kindof silly that they can attack you off your own lion or tiger.
  • Monkey - Its good here i think.
  • Ostrich - Longer jump range if possible. Otherwise pretty good.
  • Parrot - Buff HP/Voice lines! Please! Make it mimic players doing emotes
  • Penguin - Buff its bonus
  • Rabbit - Please let these guys give a speed bonus!!!!!!
  • Rhino - Add more weight!!!
  • Seagull - Havent played with
  • Sheep - Honestly no idea what to do with this, its a sheep
  • Tiger - Strong guy, Balanced, killable but not underpowered. Base your T3's off this guy
  • Vulture - Never used.
  • Wolf - Weaker than a chicken.
  • Like 1

The parrot gives fortitude where i feel the rabbit would suit this better and rework the parrot to give a gold/treasure buff because it aint no parrot without its "pieces of eight"

• Like 6

Need to be able to "Find" tames already tamed..Server crashes, falling through floors, ETC...."H" key only works for close range..How about a location in the company tab with tame name listed. Need to know where our tames are firstly and +1 to thatch Gatherer...all tames so far do the job except for thatch...much easier to just grab a pick and gather more than any tame.

• Like 3

Parrot and crow- it may sound pointless to most people, but I want the parrot to record 3-5 seconds of its owners voice when they use the in game chat feature and say it back like a real parrot would. Maybe have 3 saveable slots that it will randomly say. Or make it something the player has to teach the parrot(and crow) by repeating the phrase. Why? Because it would be awesome to have a playful tame and both parrots and crows could benefit from this upgrade. Thanks for reading.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Prestige said:

2 Things that I can think of on the spot is a thatch animal while there are several animals that gather thatch none do it well or worth taming for. Also with all the nerfs that have come to predators mainly wolves which I understand it could be frustrating to get attacked by a pack of wolves and insta killed. Tamed wolves have become kinda useless because of how weak they are damage wise so maybe return tamed wolf values to original or just buff them in general. 🙂 Also some breeding love would be great alot of us dont have time to micromanage animals for 16 hours so they dont die.

Bear gathers thatch from brown leaves on the ground. i can easily farm 300k in a couple hours on 2x, which will also net me around 250k fiber at the same time. 

• Like 1

Rebalance stam regen on some of the animals (elephant and rhino comes to mind). It's pretty clunky gameplay to gather for 20 sec and then wait for 40 sec for it to regen again.

Rhinos are fairly useless when it comes to metal gathering and this is due to carrying capacity. Increasing carrying capacity would be one way to balance it or just change how much metal weighs. Currently it's much easier to just go and gather it yourself.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BertJohn said:
  • Horse - SLOW DOWN. Please, They are LIGHTNING fast, High HP, High Weight already. So overpowered.

true they are op asf haha, but they are useless vs any predator tho

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

We're going to be looking at moving over the tax-bank item-restrict functionality over to tames.

Thanks for the feedback folks, keep em coming 🙂

Is not only need to address to Tax Bank but also for animals itself. If you try to harvest resources in thundra you will notice that 80% of harvesting time I spend to get rid fruits and vegetables from animal itself. 

• Like 1

Reduce health of all tames. How is this a pirate game when people just jump off boats with bears on cannons? Bears are by far too strong. They can be tamed with berries, farm fiber and floor thatch, they sprint well, have high hp and good damage resistance. Have you looked at your melee skill tree? Its utter garbage. How is a mace ever viable? You literally run slower than a guy reloading, you get killed by tames, and cant even use them when mounted. Tames should not be the go to when defending or attacking on land, and as it stands, your typical battle, is far too tame dependant. Tame is literally the first tree everyone should go for, and that is poor design. Think balance, not realism.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Calann Gothraidh said:

Maybe increase Rhino harvest?  They collect the exact same as a pick atm.  And increase their stamina

They most definetly do not gather the same as a pickaxe, i think ure using it wrong.

You forgot the tame that needs the MOST attention... the crewmember.  If the game ISN'T supposed to just be about acquiring tames and playing Noah the Pirate, the crewmember needs the most work.

Crewmember - Right now JUST serves as an AI to man your turrets, cannons, etc.  Doesn't make your life easier in any  other way.  Add the ability to use crewmembers on land for anything, particularly in terms of resourcing.  Let me build a Forrester station and the crewmember gathers wood while I'm not around.  Let me build a mining station and they gather stone and metal.  Basically, let me hire crew to not NEED all the other tames, if that's what I want to do.  Right now, tames are SO ESSENTIAL THERE IS NO POINT PLAYING THE GAME IF YOU DON'T USE THEM

• Bear

Don't change anything.  Bears are insanely powerful and probably qualify as the best tame in the game.   They are godless killing machines, super fast, carry a lot, AND they can gather over 1000 fiber in a single swipe

• Chicken

Don't change anything.  They take like 2-3 minutes to tame, provide a valuable resource used in cooking, and are low maintenance.  We keep 2-3 at each of our bases

• Cow

Don't change anything.  Super valuable and easy to tame.  We keep one on each ship to turn vitamin D and water into non-issues

• Bull

Many people have suggested using the Bull as the thatch gather.  That would make sense.  Increase carry weight.  

• Crow

Don't change anything.  Super useful.  We consider ours almost essential.

• Razortooth

Haven't tamed one, no comment

• Shieldhorn

Haven't tamed one, no comment

• Elephant

Don't change anything.  Like Bears, absolutely essential.  Probably second most important tame in the game

• Giant Pig

Don't change anything.  Super easy to tame.  Makes good cannon fodder.  We keep packs of them near bases as simple defenders.  They're shock troopers, useful, and disposable

• Giraffe

Haven't bothered to tame one.  Doesn't seem to have much point.  Could possibly fill the Thatch niche,.  However, other than Thatch there isn't much point to needing more creatures

• Horse

Haven't bothered to tame one.  They are supposed to be fast... but Bears are fast AND godless killing machines AND can carry a ton.  Horses could be faster than bears, but then you'd be running around so fast the game would never load things until after they've eaten you

• Lion

Don't change anything.  Lions are insanely good

• Monkey

Increase the warning range.  Also, you need to normalize the creature spawns.  Right now, "eek" means "you're about to be attacked by 5 tigers, and I'm about to die".   Also, we haven't found them worth keeping around, MOSTLY because shoulder tames count as crew on ships and that is cancer.  Make shoulder tames not count when put on a ship and we'd use them more.

• Ostrich

Haven't tamed one, however ostrich eggs are good eating.  They should be like mega-chicken eggs that provide large amounts of food in long-lasting containers.  They should make food easy

• Parrot

We've tamed a couple, but haven't found them worth keeping around, MOSTLY because shoulder tames count as crew on ships and that is cancer.  Make shoulder tames not count when put on a ship and we'd use them more.

• Penguin

Make hypo transfer to breeding creatures, otherwise same as all shoulder tames.  Not worth an entire crew slot for a small buff

• Rabbit

See All other shoulder tames

• Rhino

Still can't carry quite enough to be useful.  Also doesn't gather metal except from pure nodes, which often means we leave them in the garage in favor of picks.  We usually need enough metal that we'll gather enough stone to not bother with a Rhino

• Seagull

See all other shoulder tames.  Provides no bonus.  Possibly give a bonus to map view?

• Sheep

Amazing and essential.  No need to change.

• Tiger

Like Lions.

• Vulture

Didn't even think to tame one.  Not really sure what niche it needs to fill.

• Wolf

See Tiger.  However, right now they're not quite as good as Lions and Tigers unless you're in a cold biome.

Edited by Archsenex
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Antoine said:

Reduce health of all tames. How is this a pirate game when people just jump off boats with bears on cannons? Bears are by far too strong. They can be tamed with berries, farm fiber and floor thatch, they sprint well, have high hp and good damage resistance. Have you looked at your melee skill tree? Its utter garbage. How is a mace ever viable? You literally run slower than a guy reloading, you get killed by tames, and cant even use them when mounted. Tames should not be the go to when defending or attacking on land, and as it stands, your typical battle, is far too tame dependant. Tame is literally the first tree everyone should go for, and that is poor design. Think balance, not realism.

Bears it supposed to have more health than players and stronger than first combat. You can’t reduce heatlh because sime animals already have low health 🙂

• Like 2

Horses could be passive tame. They are really derpy, getting stuck on terrain or launching themselves. Their acceleration from 0 to 100000 is insane, making them hard to trap and bola. Not counting the fact they run into open ocean and swim in circles for hours.

An ability to see your animals on map/atlas would be great. As it is alpha game build bugs happen, stuff happens, its too easy to lose your animals. This feature can be taken out for full game release, but it would make a nice feature for now.

Armored saddles to buff your animal, give it more survival ability? 

Breeding is so so so tedious. Do you really want us to spend hours upon hours handfeeding babies surrounded by 7 grills or penguins to make sure the temp is good? 
High  level tames should be hard to get, but maaaan I am not looking forward to breeding at all. 

Elephants could have more stamina.
There should be an animal that gathers thatch faster than a player with a pickaxe. 

• Like 16

1 minute ago, Robotukas said:

Bears it supposed to have more health than players and stronger than first combat. You can’t reduce heatlh because sime animals already have low health 🙂

How is this good? By doing so you have removed the need for weapons. They've stated that they wanted to move away from tames in the past. They can absolutely reduce health. I have elephants with less health than bears. With tames there is literally no reason to have weapons. Why carry a sword when instead you could just have a bear on your boat? It ruins treasure hunts even. Never need to dismount. Very awesome pirate esque game.

• Like 1

Shoulder mounted tames should have their stats displayed on HUD.

-Seagull warns you about rain and storms.

-Parrot warns you about heat or cold.

-Monkey give you harvest bonus on berries and coconuts.

• Like 1

Bear: have claws but can't harm/gather a tree? At least tatch, we know that bears tend to sharpen their claws with the help of trees in real life 😉

Wolf: they can't attack with their paws. Maybe add a jumping-claw movement

That's the one i use daily for now.

In other terms add some cloth, and heavy armours to them too? 😄 (and please fix the bear mount so it's not covered with the bear "hair")

Just now, Symptom said:

-Seagull warns you about rain and storms.

I like this.  Even a 3-5 minute warning about rain would be a game changer. 

• Like 30

1 minute ago, Antoine said:

How is this good? By doing so you have removed the need for weapons. They've stated that they wanted to move away from tames in the past. They can absolutely reduce health. I have elephants with less health than bears. With tames there is literally no reason to have weapons. Why carry a sword when instead you could just have a bear on your boat? It ruins treasure hunts even. Never need to dismount. Very awesome pirate esque game.

You need to know where to use sword. You use sword inside building or ships or caves. You use guns from long distance and so on. Alway players on animals have more advantages when you on ground. It sumple

Oh, also, if you buff tames much, then you need to buff PC's more.  right now, the game is entirely dependent on tames.  They're pretty much the only thing that matters.  Our entire gameplay experience has been around the acquisition, use, storage, and distribution of tames.  They're pretty much the entire backbone of doing anything.

• Like 1

I would like to see a system whereby you don't have to hurt the animals in order to tame them. Maybe a one shot tranq gun with timer and re-loading minigame.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Robotukas said:

You need to know where to use sword. You use sword inside building or ships or caves. You use guns from long distance and so on. Alway players on animals have more advantages when you on ground. It sumple

Rofl. Inside caves? Powerstones? Are you kidding me? Have you tried to fight those bats with a sword when you cant even walk through players. Guns for long distance. Right.. no kidding. Even then a blunderbuss hardly slows a bear down, and good luck reloading whe  it's on you. Tames are the problem with the game because they render everything else secondary. Why even have picks or axes when an animal does everything better and survives better than a person? 

• Like 1

• Bear - one of the better tames
  • Chicken - Is okay
  • Cow - fine
  • Bull - it needs a 15% damage increase atleast.  - the game needs a thatch animal and i say this one for it.
  • Crow - Need more HP
    - Would like to see it have a map fetching ability
  • Razortooth - it's fine currently
  • shieldhorn - fine currently
  • Elephant
  • Giant pig - more HP really needed
  • Giraffe - Increase its gathering rate by 10% and possible even melee itself by 5%. It's slower than hand.
  • Horse - they are too fast
  • Lion - Needs more HP and damage, balance around Tiger.
  • Monkey - It's fine.
  • Parrot - Just more interactive with emotes and voice lines would be nice and more HP like the crow it's very low.
  • penguin - apply its bonus to babies?
  • Rabbit - fine
  • Rhino - Gathering needs increasing by 5% and more weight. Maybe aswell a 5% increase to base stamina, they are very low.
  • Seagul - More like the Jerboa with weather detection
  • sheep - its fine
  • tiger - best place of the damage dealers
  • vulture - fine, though Enemy detection ability?
  • wolf - Needs a slight base HP and and damage buff by 5% and then it relies on pack mainly.
  • Like 1

I guess my advice to a designer would be to remember that different players find different niches for things. I use my bull every single day for a couple of very specific purposes which it is very good at, and most players think bulls are stupid trash (and they are quite wrong). I'm also laughing pretty good at the whole raft of suggestions in this thread for things that already actually exist in the game.

I think introducing a thatch animal is probably a good idea, but watch the power creep on it. No thatch animal should be able to match the raw harvesting of a legendary or mythic pickaxe with four different gathering buffs rolling, yet despite that it still could be good for the game for there to be an animal decent at thatch.

Kind of like how elephants are pretty strong at wood gathering but if legendary/mythic hatchets were actually gettable, gathering wood would also be an on-foot thing due to the gathering buffs you can stack on-foot but not on an ele.

Here are some thoughts from my personal experience on PvE official. I'll comment on the tames that I've used so far.

• Bear
    • It's too good right now (please dont hate). It's a fiber, berry, sap, meat, hide, treasure, cargo multitool that you want to have at least ~10 of in your base. Improve some of these qualities on other tames that feel less useful now and make them slightly worse on the bear. Give us an incentive to tame something other than bears for different purposes.
  • Chicken
    • Good egg machines as they are.
  • Cow
    • Cows are fine as the milk machines they are.
  • Bull
    • Make it a a cargo tame with the cargo harness. Even better than elephants or elephants will remain as the cargo tame.
  • Crow
    • Int buff function is fine imo.
  • Razortooth
  • Shieldhorn
  • Elephant
    • Stamina is super annoying, so we've turned to running two elephants all the time. Jump on the other when the one you are using is out of stamina and let it rest. Repeat until both are full of wood. I don't mind this, but I feel like this is not intended. Make of this what you will. Improved stamina regen might make it too op... or would it? I'm not sure.
  • Giant Pig
  • Giraffe
    • Bird's eye perspective choice? (Like if I climbed up it's neck :D) For adventuring and looking for discoveries. Allow to see discoveries while riding it?
  • Horse
    • Lovely travel mount, that I feel is well balanced. Do want to use cargo harness on it as well, but make bull better at this function. Horse maybe faster but able to pull less weight.
  • Lion
    • Secondry skill: roar to make wild animals flee for a short time. Like a defensive skill to possibly save you or other tames nearby from a sudden attack of wild predators.
  • Monkey
  • Ostrich
    • Thatch machine maybe? Something needs to be a thatch machine.
  • Parrot
  • Penguin
  • Rabbit
  • Rhino
    • Good stone machines, but stone building has it's other issues with metal and paste. Half the time rhinos are sitting in base since we are stocked up on stone very fast and end up bottle necked by metal and paste.
  • Seagull
  • Sheep
  • Tiger
    • Maybe tigers could better at keratinoid and wolves at hide? Or wise versa. 
  • Vulture
  • Wolf
    • I feel like nerf hit them too hard or we managed to stock up too much hide / keratinoid before nerf and we haven't had the need to use them again since. They should def be the designated hide and/or keratinoid machines.