Sign in to follow this  
Littlelucifer

Need for a thatch animal

3 hours ago, uli said:

and again another reply that reeks of bitterness and oh look what i did without a tame for thatch , i and everyone else so far who played the game 

If you think that reply reeks of bitterness, then your understanding of what the word means is wrong. What it reeks of is intolerance of whinging. In reality it’s just you trying to throw shade by mischaracterizing it’s tone in order to dismiss it so you don’t have to confront the legitimacy of its point. The developers have stated that animals are not the central focus of Atlas. If there is a tame that significantly enhances thatch gathering great, if not the game is not crippled. As Jean illustrated from his personal experience, it is entirely possible to build large structures without thatch gatherers even in inhospitable locales.

What he’s saying isn’t bitterness, but dispensing hard nosed advice apropos to a survival MMO:

Suck it up buttercup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gadefence said:

Being frank, I never once harvested multiple fiber plants in one swing for 150+ fiber with a sickle like I do with a bear.

The swipe AoE is larger sure but you can harvest multiple nodes at once with a tool they just need to be grouped, but that is beside the point. Why was the Bear given the [conditional] Thatch AND Fiber utility? And why have "pure" Thatch nodes of only 1-2 types in the first place? The some islands have more value than others argument does not excuse this oversight. You can have both scarcity and balance between the biomes.

10 hours ago, UDO said:

boring , sick of seeing this reply when player post about thatch not everyone has those plants close , so stop with the bear go farm dead leaf patches , 

we need a dedicated thatch animal either giraffe or male bull , would be ideal for this ...

the weight added to anmals instead of weight reduction , was to stop players lading them with 10s of thousands of weight an placing them on boats where the weight didnt affect the boats speed , 

ok well im sick of players complaining about leaves not being close, thats the whole game only some resources in some areas

• Like 1

I guess it boils down to what is the design decision. Is a level 1 tame supposed to be better than a 200-300% blueprint tool, or the other way around?

The bear with his large AOE swipe can't be beat for gathering dense clusters of fiber (and supposedly thatch, but I've personally haven't seen dense clusters of "dead leaves"). It dominates a 200% or 300% blueprint Sickle just on AOE swipe size. Even more so if you throw in repair costs and stamina use.

For thatch, I use a legendary pickaxe that kills a tree in 2-4 quick swings with a bear(s) following me for hauling and a monkey on my shoulder for stamina regen. I can chop down 100 tree's in 15-20 mins. I would love to have a legendary hatchet that would do the same.

I've used an elephant but not an Ostrich or Giraffe, so I may be wrong, but I"ll assume they both work like the elephant. Specifically, that they can only swipe a single tree at a time with a swing speed slower than the pickaxe/hatchet. Looking at the gathering speed (not considering the carrying issue), a good blueprint tool will out gather a tame when harvesting tree's.

It feels very uneven right now, and a change is needed. Just not sure what it should be. Allow tames to harvest multiple tree's per swing? Blueprint tools get a +bonus harvest amount in addition to their attack bonus?

Well while everyone argues over what should and shouldn't be or how you should go about and do it, I'll add to the original post. Since we do have tames and a tame tree in game I guess if I had to vote for a thatch animal I'd vote Giraffe .

Have a Wonderful  Day.

its not like bears can farm thatch like crazy.. no not talking about fiber, thatch.. doing around 5k in 30 min. with my beloved bear

12 hours ago, UDO said:

boring , sick of seeing this reply when player post about thatch not everyone has those plants close , so stop with the bear go farm dead leaf patches , 

we need a dedicated thatch animal either giraffe or male bull , would be ideal for this ...

the weight added to anmals instead of weight reduction , was to stop players lading them with 10s of thousands of weight an placing them on boats where the weight didnt affect the boats speed , 

Or grab 6 picks and an elephant and farm 40k+ per hour on non 2x days?

2 hours ago, Mephos said:

its not like bears can farm thatch like crazy.. no not talking about fiber, thatch.. doing around 5k in 30 min. with my beloved bear

Then you're not in a good area, usually you want to focus on the shore, right where it starts to turn to grass. If you move you camera to look straight down on the bear youll see more. Often there are tons in thick grass you can just barely see. i JUST farmed almost 400k thatch in 2.5 hours on 2x (around 371k) while also gathering fiber (271k at the same time) 

Uhhh... I'm not sure why nobody else has noticed but uhh... theres actually 3 options for thatch.

bear= from plants that give roots (BEST)10/10

bull = from trees (mediocre)4/10

RHINO=from trees (Great)8/10

How does nobody know that Rhino are actually fantastic at gathering thatch? Oh and btw..they are also fantastic for gathering honey...yes...HONEY.

4 hours ago, Nari said:

The swipe AoE is larger sure but you can harvest multiple nodes at once with a tool they just need to be grouped, but that is beside the point. Why was the Bear given the [conditional] Thatch AND Fiber utility? And why have "pure" Thatch nodes of only 1-2 types in the first place? The some islands have more value than others argument does not excuse this oversight. You can have both scarcity and balance between the biomes.

That's an argument for a thatch animal. I was specifically commenting on bear gathering speed v. sickle.

3 hours ago, Vurmis said:

I've used an elephant but not an Ostrich or Giraffe, so I may be wrong, but I"ll assume they both work like the elephant. Specifically, that they can only swipe a single tree at a time with a swing speed slower than the pickaxe/hatchet. Looking at the gathering speed (not considering the carrying issue), a good blueprint tool will out gather a tame when harvesting tree's.

You're forgetting to factor in nature's cry, and high level tames. High level tames do more damage (faster gathering), nature's cry up to doubles their damage (even faster gathering).

I can clear out a forest for 8-10k wood in about 15 minutes, and that's only because I play another game and only look back every minute or so when nature's cry is off cooldown.

Bring multiple eles, keep jumping between them for stamina regen, = infinite wood faster then I think anyone would be able to do it (food repairs etc).

3 hours ago, Mephos said:

We can get like 150k thatch in 15 minutes with bear.

11 minutes ago, Nokim said:

Uhhh... I'm not sure why nobody else has noticed but uhh... theres actually 3 options for thatch.

bear= from plants that give roots (BEST)10/10

bull = from trees (mediocre)4/10

RHINO=from trees (Great)8/10

How does nobody know that Rhino are actually fantastic at gathering thatch? Oh and btw..they are also fantastic for gathering honey...yes...HONEY.

Unless rhino got a massive buff you're far better off with horse + pick axe.

maybe you should try it. i have horses and rhinos, the average horse can get to 2700weight and thats with a lot of effort, the average rhino can reach 3k+ weight pretty darn easy.

I don't pay attention to raw numbers but i guarantee you the rhino can gather more per hit than you can, even more with melee buff,as a bonus the rhino recovers sta very fast, can run MUCH faster than you can, and can defend itself even from alphas.

This is what I do and it works for me... Bear = tons of fiber. More than I can weave. Bull (giraffe sucks) = fills with thatch fast, BUT I have it following my bear. When I fill the Bull, I move that thatch to the Bear, then take Bull for more. Keep them together in case an alpha pops around. I can gets tons of Thatch this way in minutes. Now to be fair, our harvest rate is at 4x. 2x we were spoiled on Official, and due to no land to claim, got a 2x2 grid with everything in it. Elephant + tons of wood. Giggles- did he say "wood". mhm, I did. With those 3 I can complete a Brig, w/design in a couple of hours. Now the fun part....Metal: I happen to be on an island with alot of metal. So I take out in a chain the Elephant, 3 bears, 3 horses. Just about 7k. That is so much to have.

All works for me. It isnt too fast or too slow. I would be nice to have a Thatch gatherer a tad higher. But I will play with what I got.