Sign in to follow this  
boomervoncannon

A fundamental design problem

10 minutes ago, Asanna said:

From a small clan standpoint this hurts.

I shouldnt have to waste skills in armory when I wont be crafting my own armor just to wear what's been traded to me.

Yes, yes, yes, "blargh join a big tribe" no. Get out of the mindset that people want to even put a little trust in people they dont know. Some of us like the small play and with people we've been gaming with for years.

Back on topic, I think it should very much be tied to the type of armor/weapons being used. I dont think a stone pickaxe or cloth armor should fall into the skill tree. I understand there are common BPs that increase the items, but I feel like the quality should rise with the type of armor/weapon with "rares" being stuff you wouldnt expect. For example, I have 6 BPs for legendary cloth hat, wtf lol. The highest I have for a good armor is Masterwork fur boots, I feel like it should be harder to find certain stuff and I know I'm probably a minority because that just makes the game harder.

Cloth is useful not for its armor values but for its highest base hyperthermic insulation. Legendary cloth armor is actually useful in the desert to keep one cool.  Personally I am all for rarity to a degree, the issue is balance. It should be possible to obtain higher quality bp’s without having them overflowing from your ears.

Also to be fair the number of points required to merely be able to wear higher quality armors is not especially burdensome at the higher levels, it’s the points required to both wear them and not suffer drawbacks as heavily that becomes costly. Merely wearing up to mythic isn’t expensive in points. Being able to wear that armor, move well in it it, not suffer heavy insulation penalties from it, and be able to maintain it cost effectively is another kettle of fish.

Edited by boomervoncannon

I'm just curious if taming is the same for you all. Are you upset you have to put points into taming in order to ride a tame? like how you have to put points into armour to wear armour.

5 minutes ago, Notorious said:

I'm just curious if taming is the same for you all. Are you upset you have to put points into taming in order to ride a tame? like how you have to put points into armour to wear armour.

It is for me. You should be able to ride any tame your tribe has. Now if you're speced into it, they should get bonuses to speed, harvesting, stamina usage, etc, but merely being able to get on one is something everyone should be able to do. As is, it makes being the tribe tamer a moot point, since you're the only one who can use them.

No captaineering? No driving a ship for you! You can't use the cannon/swivel gun, you didn't take artillery. Hell, you didn't take cooking? - You just set yourself on fire trying to cook meat.

Make it so everyone can use every thing at the rate it is now - make it so that the people who spec into them can use them better.

26 minutes ago, Notorious said:

No, for several reasons. While the riding requirement does potentially dampen the market for the sake of tames, the developers have stated that tames are not the main focus of the game, so this is a consistent design choice. Also if I want to tame animals and sell them, I can do so without the need to ride. Further the real market for tames is going to be in breeding and thematically it makes sense that the riding and breeding of exotic animals would not be an easily acquired skill. In effect taming as a tree is closer to what crafting should be, because breeders will be able by virtue of their greater investment into the tree be able to offer tames that others can use with a lower point investment than required to create their own bred animal. 

Show me a functional adult who can’t figure out how to don armor or which end of the hatchet should hit the tree and I’ll show you the village idiot. 

Beyond this tames do not have stat increases for their riders baked into them. The only exception afaik is an insulation bonus on certain tames. Failing to use tames does far less to gimp a player relative to his peers than failing to use armor/tools/weapons. In my company are both players who use tames and players who do not. The latter are not being kicked out for their ineffectiveness.

Me personally even after reading and enjoying this  thread and conversation I'm gonna have to end it here as I don't see me agreeing. Not saying either side is right or wrong either.

If a person is going to craft armour I expect them to know  the art of movement and metallurgy. How metal works itself and movement. Making it light weight etc. By adding points to the tree shows this person has the right to craft such a master piece.

End of the day...If I'm gonna open a cup cake shop I better learn to bake first.

7 minutes ago, Notorious said:

Me personally even after reading and enjoying this  thread and conversation I'm gonna have to end it here as I don't see me agreeing. Not saying either side is right or wrong either.

If a person is going to craft armour I expect them to know  the art of movement and metallurgy. How metal works itself and movement. Making it light weight etc. By adding points to the tree shows this person has the right to craft such a master piece.

End of the day...If I'm gonna open a cup cake shop I better learn to bake first.

No one was ever arguing you don’t need to know how  to make cupcakes to make cupcakes. I am arguing you shouldn’t need to know how to make cup cakes to eat them.

The knight of old renknown had to know how to use a sword. He neither knew nor needed to know how to make the sword, nor his armor, in order to use either. That is the essence of the point.

6 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

No one was ever arguing you don’t need to know how  to make cupcakes to make cupcakes. I am arguing you shouldn’t need to know how to make cup cakes to eat them.

The knight of old renknown had to know how to use a sword. He neither knew nor needed to know how to make the sword, nor his armor, in order to use either. That is the essence of the point.

Well, as is, you can eat the plain cupcakes with no issue. Its once they're higher tier with frosting that you no longer know how. And if you invest points to eat the ones with frosting, you still can't eat the ones with sprinkles. But then you put points in, and now you can have the ones with sprinkles, but some bastard put a cherry on top, too...time to respec.

Now I want cupcakes.

• Haha 1

Y'all suckin me back in lol ......

There is a saying that goes like this... Never give a sword to a Man that cant Dance.

Confucius 

4 hours ago, Notorious said:

Y'all suckin me back in lol ......

There is a saying that goes like this... Never give a sword to a Man that cant Dance.

Confucius 

I feel like we're not even talking about the same thing. I'm not sure how many times I can try to clarify an argument you seem at this point to be willfully misinterpreting, but I'll give it one more try.  Whether the man can dance or not is besides the point. It's whether you expect him to be able to make the sword in order to use it. Knowing how to use a sword or dance  making a sword or teaching dance.

6 hours ago, Notorious said:

Never give a license to a man who can't build his own car.

-out-of-work politician

• Like 1