LaiTash

Just remove fast travel

Seriously. Limit fast travel to the current grid. Maybe add a capital building (limited to 1 per company) where company members can spawn/fast travel to from anywhere. It won't fix the game but will still fix a lot of problems that probably have no other solution. 

1. Large companies would be less willing to just grab as much land as they can and leave it with a few beds and no one living there to protect it.

2. They would also be more willing to ally with smaller tribes instead of wiping them out.

3. It will become more viable to attack them at their weakest spots without them mass-spawning there 

4. As a side-effect of #3, there will be more wars between large companies

5. You'd need to actually bring a fleet of ships to your enemy if you want to zerg them. More large scale ship vs ship fights for everyone (ok ok i know we have server performance issues but they will mostly be fixed after two years of EA right? Right?).

6. Strategy and logistics would become much more important in large scale warfare

7. It also wouldn't affect small companies too much as they rarely have more than one island and never actually need more than one.

Edit: instead of "capital building" maybe let us bind to a bed, much like you'd bind to a house in LiF. It worked there perfectly.

Edited by LaiTash
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I think it would help the game if they removed or limited fast travel making it so people have to rely on sailing, and keep companies more regional rather than spreading out to multiple server grids as they are right now. It would possibly make more room for other companies to claim land. 

Fast travel also allows small companies to hold lots of land with easy refresh. Just as big of an issue.

• Like 2

I would have to agree with removing this. Although, it would make FoY a lot more difficult ^.^

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pizik said:

I would have to agree with removing this. Although, it would make FoY a lot more difficult ^.^

They could get rid of FOY as well same goes for the age mechanic. 

• Haha 1

The game is about sailing and sea fighting. Now it is just another ark with more water. Fast traveling is not for this game 

• Like 6

Game world is way to big to have no fast travel.. people don't want to spend hours and hours sailing for them to just lose the ship in a few seconds or something silly. 

Would basically limit people to a small area of the world and there would never be a reason to leave it. May as well play on tiny private servers then. 

Maybe put a cost to fast travel to other grids... But make fast travel to Freeport's free.

Edited by Caldrin
  • Like 1

I agree if fast travel is kept in game it should be only to a freeport or back to your last previous spawn point.

Disabling fast travel would be the most beneficial for large companies. Smaller groups can not sail at the same time and provide or guard their base.

A really stupid and short-sighted idea.

Edited by Tezcatlipoca
  • Like 1

I was thinking about exactly this last night, with much the same conclusions.

The only thing I would add is that you would set a bed as your "home" bed to resurrect at. You can only set your home bed by visiting it. When you die, you can choose to respawn either there or at a ship with a bed in the same grid. Or at a freeport.

One bed placement per player and they are the only one that can use it ?.

And if you die at sea for lack of food, water, sharks, how do you get back to your ship? A raft? More hours of time sink in something you don't want to spend time on?

They could fix the issues you list in far better ways than ending fast travel. I see the war and claim issues but this would kill solo and small groups.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Buck Rider said:

And if you die at sea for lack of food, water, sharks, how do you get back to your ship? A raft? More hours of time sink in something you don't want to spend time on?

They could fix the issues you list in far better ways than ending fast travel. I see the war and claim issues but this would kill solo and small groups.

How would this kill solo and small groups ? In a way it should help them because the larger companies wouldnt own 2 or more full servers and allow for more companies to have a chunk of claimable land. 

7 minutes ago, labatts said:

How would this kill solo and small groups ? In a way it should help them because the larger companies wouldnt own 2 or more full servers and allow for more companies to have a chunk of claimable land. 

Ft is the only reason my four man group can play.   While I sail,  they go do base maintenance or tame creatures or the dozen other tasks needed.   Or gather resources.   

Forcing us all to stand on a boat, all doing nothing,  for hours would send us to another game. 

Proper use of fast travel is essential for small groups. 

Edited by Archsenex
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, labatts said:

Why allow anyone or group to claim 2 or more full servers in the first place?

Why allow landlords? Why allow the person who gets there first to own unlimited land and charge others?

I say fix the borked claim system by fixing the claim system, not by breaking other things.

I do agree the PVP and PVE may also need different rules for fast travel. 

Just now, Buck Rider said:

Why allow anyone or group to claim 2 or more full servers in the first place?

Why allow landlords? Why allow the person who gets there first to own unlimited land and charge others?

I say fix the borked claim system by fixing the claim system, not by breaking other things.

I do agree the PVP and PVE may also need different rules for fast travel. 

Because its Territorial game all about claiming land. By not allowing more than 2 claims kinda defeats the point. By not allowing fast travel the larger companies would have to split up to keep the land they conquer making it easier to take it from them and harder for them to control everything like they do now. There could be certain fast travel allowed but allowing for a person to go across the map in seconds to defend land they own never use is foolish in my mind. 

so eveytime you die you lost you re ship... ppl who dont have al ot of playtime cant do boss... ho and large companie have crasy amount of gold and food, just put a crew and you can go they re once a week

only small companie and ppl with small playtime will suffer...

Edited by haseo

2 minutes ago, haseo said:

so eveytime you die you lost you re ship... ppl who dont have al ot of playtime cant do boss... ho and large companie have crasy amount of gold and food, just put a crew and you can go they re once a week

only small companie and ppl with small playtime will suffer...

You wouldn lose your ship you would spawn at the nearest bed you died next to if you have multiple within a certain radius it would allow you to pick. So If you died on ship out in ocean you could spawn back on that same ship. By taking away fast travel or minimizing it, it will actually help out smaller companies. 

Edited by labatts

6 minutes ago, labatts said:

By taking away fast travel or minimizing it, it will actually help out smaller companies. 

No, it prison them to a small area on the map, because they cant sail and maintaine homebase at the same time.

22 minutes ago, haseo said:

so eveytime you die you lost you re ship...

No, you can respawn there if it's still in the same grid.

14 minutes ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

No, it prison them to a small area on the map, because they cant sail and maintaine homebase at the same time.

You can teleport back home to the bed you're bound to, just keep one man on a ship to not loose it.

3 hours ago, LaiTash said:

Seriously. Limit fast travel to the current grid. Maybe add a capital building (limited to 1 per company) where company members can spawn/fast travel to from anywhere. It won't fix the game but will still fix a lot of problems that probably have no other solution. 

1. Large companies would be less willing to just grab as much land as they can and leave it with a few beds and no one living there to protect it.

2. They would also be more willing to ally with smaller tribes instead of wiping them out.

3. It will become more viable to attack them at their weakest spots without them mass-spawning there 

4. As a side-effect of #3, there will be more wars between large companies

5. You'd need to actually bring a fleet of ships to your enemy if you want to zerg them. More large scale ship vs ship fights for everyone (ok ok i know we have server performance issues but they will mostly be fixed after two years of EA right? Right?).

6. Strategy and logistics would become much more important in large scale warfare

7. It also wouldn't affect small companies too much as they rarely have more than one island and never actually need more than one.

Edit: instead of "capital building" maybe let us bind to a bed, much like you'd bind to a house in LiF. It worked there perfectly.

52 minutes ago, labatts said:

Because its Territorial game all about claiming land. 

Pvp and Pve are two entirely different games.  Pve is not a territorial game all about claiming land.

if there was no fast travel I would say everyone needs to be able to build a "home bed" they can always return to, and otherwise they can (upon death) return to one of the five or so closest beds. so they can persist on a boat at sea or go back home to check on something.