Enmity

This game is not for the new gamer

NGood evening,

I'm an old school gamer, I am use to waiting 3 hours for the Notorious monster spawn.  However I am very tired of it taking me 2 hours to sail back home.  6 tiles and because the wind isn't in my favor what should take an hour takes 2 to 3 hours.  I cant leave my ship and just log off, so I am stuck spending extra hours just to make it home safe.

While the wind mechanic is cool.  Its also generally bad.  I'm about to finally give up even after dealing with all the growing pains because I just cant play this style of game anymore.  We live in a gaming world of now now now.  Please do something to avoid these long trips home.    

Luckily , I'm not just here to complain.   I also come with suggestions. 

Just like in the real world, there are trading routes.  Certain area's you sail because the current, or wind will generally always be in your favor for that direction.  Can we implement this in the game as well?  Instead of The entire world having the same wind,  Have wind going in a specific general direction.  I.e. even numbers go South East while odd numbers go North  West.  

Please give me a trade route path that can give me a general estimated time before I set off to sail so I'm not stuck sailing an extra 2 hours, and tabbed out to write a forum post.

Thank you.

Edited by Enmity
  • Like 4

I'm hoping that they try and do something related to Wind with the Tarot system.  Let me conjure an unnatural wind using Tarot.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Enmity said:

NGood evening,

I'm an old school gamer, I am use to waiting 3 hours for the Notorious monster spawn.  However I am very tired of it taking me 2 hours to sail back home.  6 tiles and because the wind isn't in my favor what should take an hour takes 2 to 3 hours.  I cant leave my ship and just log off, so I am stuck spending extra hours just to make it home safe.

While the wind mechanic is cool.  Its also generally bad.  I'm about to finally give up even after dealing with all the growing pains because I just cant play this style of game anymore.  We live in a gaming world of now now now.  Please do something to avoid these long trips home.    

Just like in the real world, there are trading routes.  Certain area's you sail because the current, or wind will generally always be in your favor for that direction.  Can we implement this in the game as well?  Instead of The entire world having the same wind,  Have wind going in a specific general direction.  I.e. even numbers go South East while odd numbers go North  West.  

Please give me a trade route path that can give me a general estimated time before I set off to sail so I'm not stuck sailing an extra 2 hours, and tabbed out to write a forum post.

Thank you.

Yea they really need to  add in more ships and add some more content to just sailing as it is right now its extremely boring to the point I alt tab when sailing. Also It does take forever to get to 1 place make another ship that is between sloop and schooner for doing quick trade routes like you say. 

Edited by labatts

There is nothing stopping you from finding anchorage at the nearest island when you have to leave, assuming your pve (and I'm assuming you are since this isn't really a PvP concern). With the many fixes and patches to counter griefing this is a valid option now. As to your travel time, consider going somewhere closer to home if you don't have long to play

Hey another person that’s shocked by the fact that there is wind in this world that may or may not affect your time of sailing. Not to forget that this game is actually about sailing so I don’t think OP is really shocked because he expected this beforehand. As for the trade routes, I’m all up for any kind of trading so let’s do it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Archsenex said:

I'm hoping that they try and do something related to Wind with the Tarot system.  Let me conjure an unnatural wind using Tarot.

Yes, I hope they can provide a few quick routes, or some quicker way back that you could use occasionally, but might cost some extra resource, so you wouldn't use it all of the time.

The game may include a decent amount of sailing, but it should not be a sailing game, the game needs to be about doing pirate things, not sailing for hours on end. I like sailing in the real world, but in a game it is just boring. Of course with SotD and cyclones, is boring mixed in with the sheer terror of losing everything 🙂

Edited by wildbill

7 minutes ago, wildbill said:

the game needs to be about doing pirate things

Like, sailing most of the time?

• Like 2

The wind there btw not random at all.

It just slowly rotate it's direction clockwise. And in the storms - rotation just speeds up but after that it goes clockwise back to where it was before storms. Knowing this - gives you a room for your fast travels planning. There are also bluepints of sails allowing you to travel faster.

Don't travel against the wind.

Go "zigzagging".

That way you travel a bit more distance but still move a lot quicker.

I think lanes set up for faster travel would be helpful. The down side for the slow ride back home, like it or not in a game, means people stop going in the first place. Then as their game gets smaller, they stop logging in.

Grids could swap wind direction. As in M blows south and N blows north. The main map could display wind direction on the grids.

And no, that may not be "real" but neither in riding bears, Sotd, gold filled floating crates or daily giant cobra attacks. What we don't need is yet another reason for people to leave the game.

3 hours ago, Gfrannic said:

Don't travel against the wind.

Go "zigzagging".

That way you travel a bit more distance but still move a lot quicker.

The term for this is tacking.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

The term for this is tacking.

Good to know 👍

*writes down, "zigzagging is called tacking"*

:classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gfrannic said:

Good to know 👍

*writes down, "zigzagging is called tacking"*

:classic_laugh:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacking_(sailing)

one of those crazy nautical terms sailors like to use where they have their own language like pig Latin to confuse the rest of us.

”Hoist the jib ye salty dog and trim the starboard mizzen.”

”Sorry was that English or are you having a stroke?”

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

”Hoist the jib ye salty dog and trim the starboard mizzen.”

”Sorry was that English or are you having a stroke?”

My favourite bit of Nautical Jargon is the Forecastle, no one will ever pronounce it correctly unless they have heard it said 🙂

(folk-sul   pretty much)

4 minutes ago, Pizik said:

My favourite bit of Nautical Jargon is the Forecastle, no one will ever pronounce it correctly unless they have heard it said 🙂

(folk-sul   pretty much)

Yeah my company leader is ex navy so that bit gets pronounced correctly on our discord, but I'm betting we're in the minority. Quick off topic plug for those who enjoy science fiction: I highly recommend David Weber's Safehold series, it's tenth book was just published and it looks to have many more to go. He's the anti George RR Martin in that he gets his books out in a very timely manner so you're not waiting for the next geological era for a new book, and the first couple of books in the series deal heavily with wind powered nautical combat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safehold

9 hours ago, Archsenex said:

or beans.

• Haha 2

Just now, Winter Thorne said:

or beans.

Chickpeas actually aren't used for enough in the game.  It could be a component in the Tarot ritual.

• Like 1

Yes, sometimes the wind is hard to manage, but, isn't the end of the world. Lastnight i sailing across 2 servers, with the minimal wind, i went with my sloop and medium speed sail and took me like 20 or 30 min to reach the destiny, changing the course and tacking.

12 hours ago, Enmity said:

NGood evening,

Thank you.

Well, things are a bit more forgiving if you're on a PvE server, but if you're on a PVP server, yeah, it's not going to be very friendly to the casual gamer. PvE I usually just find an island and anchor down for the night/work day. PvP anchoring down at some random island and then going to sleep and then working all day is probably just throwing your ship away and everything on it. 

12 hours ago, Archsenex said:

Excellent idea, hope this gets added 

9 hours ago, LaiTash said:

Like, sailing most of the time?

Don't know if you are serious or sarcastic.

The best way to lower the number of people playing this game would be to make it all about sailing most of the time.

5 minutes ago, wildbill said:

The best way to lower the number of people playing this game would be to make it all about sailing most of the time.

Yeah, punching trees is so much more exciting.

You don't want to sail, don't do that. You don't really need to. Don't make the game world smaller for people who are playing this game for it's sailing aspect.

30 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Don't know if you are serious or sarcastic.

That’s how you want to play it. If you don’t want to sail much, don’t sail much. Stop with this nonsense. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Percieval said:

That’s how you want to play it. If you don’t want to sail much, don’t sail much. Stop with this nonsense. 

What nonsense?

You keep calling Atlas a sailing game, I'll keep mentioning that no where does Grapeshot games call it a sailing game.

Edited by wildbill