Sign in to follow this  
zwt2135

How people are tracking you in Atlas

7 hours ago, Fiil said:

@Bullet Force
For a person clever enough to write a piece of software that logs and presents data about other peoples playing patterns, you, at the same time, seem willfully ignorant towards the viewpoint that the people you log may feel that you are invading their privacy in doing so.

In the EU, that can get you into trouble with the GDPR, as any unsanctioned logging of data and publication is against the law as soon as it can be lead back to the person that you are tracking. And since you and battlemetrics are using the steamname you are indeed storing personal information that can tell alot about a persons private life.

On top of that, what you are doing is in its essence cheating, since data that shows online patterns, etc does not exist without your tool (and battlemetrics).

@Jatheish
What are you guys doing to prevent breaches of the GDPR in Europe?
Since the data is mined from your systems, you are enabling logging of private information on individuals, this could make you liable to being fined.

Steam is an American company and they follow American laws not European. Also what I am doing is no different to anyone who writes down publicly available information on a piece of paper. Its legitimate and correct.

7 hours ago, MindOfMadness said:

In a couple weeks this won't be a problem...  Nobody will be playing.

steamcharts.png

The number is getting very worrying now. Normally we could munster 35-30 people in our server tile on average. Now its more around 5.

I thought 15K for a while would be the lower limit when new games come out. But these games have not come yet (March is the big month).

Since the game keep to fail delivering the original promise I guess the new lower target is now 10K. 😞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

Steam is an American company and they follow American laws not European. Also what I am doing is no different to anyone who writes down publicly available information on a piece of paper. Its legitimate and correct.

It doesnt matter if its an amarican company or not, its doing business in europe, and thus subject to european laws. Even Google/Microsoft/Apple/facebook, and more cannot hide behind the fact they are based outside of europe, they can comply/get fined for up to 4% of their annual turnover, or they can stop doing business in europe, they are all complying, so of course the same will be the case regarding steam.

And you as a private person are also liable to legal action if you keep databases of personal information of identifiable individuals.
You will of course be harder to go after, than a company, that for the most part want to do business in europe, but if you are based in europe, you can be charged directly, and if not, you can be charged, if there is a strong enough case against you, and you want to visit europe sometime in your future.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Shintai said:

The number is getting very worrying now. Normally we could munster 35-30 people in our server tile on average. Now its more around 5.

I thought 15K for a while would be the lower limit when new games come out. But these games have not come yet (March is the big month).

Since the game keep to fail delivering the original promise I guess the new lower target is now 10K. 😞

Agreed. And with the launch of Apex it seems even games like PUBG and Fortnite are taking a huge hits.

I don't see it getting much better for Atlas with the new games set to launch in the next few months...  Wonder if WoW classic launch is gonna come out soonish, that will definitely have an impact on the MMO folks.

I'm new here, and play XBox, so forgive me my ignorance, but can software like this track XBox players as well (since we are on cross platform servers)?

1 hour ago, TheChuckman said:

I'm new here, and play XBox, so forgive me my ignorance, but can software like this track XBox players as well (since we are on cross platform servers)?

Not sure about battle metrics but if atlas player tracker is working correctly you see see what companies are on what islands and which players are on which islands as well as the number of players on that grid.

i always did pvp on ark but I switched to pve for atlas. I would rather enjoy the game lol

15 hours ago, TheChuckman said:

Xbox player here myself.  It sounds like if you  dont eccept pc players into your company it wont be a problem.