Sign in to follow this  
zwt2135

How people are tracking you in Atlas

What are you even trying to say. Collect your thoughts and reformat that sentence so I can understand what your trying to say.

The devs are to blame for allowing parsing of information out of game to these private people. In fact to the point you can be stalked on steam. Isnt that a problem? Is there not laws giving our personal information out to 3rd party without agreements? See any?

I dont wish to be tracked, so i set my steam to private but so many just rename themselves 123 now so they cant be tracked. Just saying guys...

Everyone call themselves in steam 123 now.

Edited by Sneakydude

Well its abundantly clear the maker of this thread is definitely not an ARK player. :classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

In any case only noobs use Battlemetrics. It is a very basic site that gives you fairly limited information. If you are in a well organised company you will have your own custom tracker that is far more powerful and a lot more useful.use far better tools then that. The way I see it when it comes to PVP you have to use any and all tools available to give you the edge.

This is what our company uses its called the Raid Master:

1179274245_atlastracker2.thumb.jpg.e5ec5f0e26a65e21f893c76ef7233543.jpg

I've redacted certain bits but for the most part you should be able to get a clear picture or what it does. We can see who is playing on any of the servers, what company they are in, how long they have been playing, whether they have VAC bans and we can also 'track' them. When this happens the software will track them indefinitely noting their sessions ie when they sign in, when they sign out, what hours they play and what days of the week.

You run this for a week on someone or a company and then we can use our pattern analyser tool to calculate pretty accurately when they are likely to be online vs offline broken down by day and time. This is extremely handy as it allows us to pick the best time to hit an enemy company based on when they will be at their weakest.

Yea I agree the tracker which existed there right after Atlas came out and battle metrics and other similar sites which let you lookup someone and find out where a majority of the members are at kind of giving you info about their main base is an issue and should be resolved in the long term. I think this should be an admin tool not something which is available to the general public or I should be able to opt out of it. I should be able to lookup my own info but not someone else's.  Another thing they have in the game is you can set it to show when a player joins your zone. If a raid is incoming you will see a bunch of "player X" joined the zone giving you a heads up that a bunch of people just entered. They may not be raiding but I saw lots of alarms raised when I was back in a mega company every time a big influx came into a server. Tracking players and players joining/leaving a zone should be turned off on official. I would be ok with leaving joining/leaving on IF you are in the company but you shouldn't see every player who joins and leaves. I would also be ok with them removing the server player count. Again these are admin tools as far as I am concerned and not things players need to have access to.

38 minutes ago, Thor Ragnarock said:

Yea I agree the tracker which existed there right after Atlas came out and battle metrics and other similar sites which let you lookup someone and find out where a majority of the members are at kind of giving you info about their main base is an issue and should be resolved in the long term. I think this should be an admin tool not something which is available to the general public or I should be able to opt out of it. I should be able to lookup my own info but not someone else's.  Another thing they have in the game is you can set it to show when a player joins your zone. If a raid is incoming you will see a bunch of "player X" joined the zone giving you a heads up that a bunch of people just entered. They may not be raiding but I saw lots of alarms raised when I was back in a mega company every time a big influx came into a server. Tracking players and players joining/leaving a zone should be turned off on official. I would be ok with leaving joining/leaving on IF you are in the company but you shouldn't see every player who joins and leaves. I would also be ok with them removing the server player count. Again these are admin tools as far as I am concerned and not things players need to have access to.

I don't see any problems with letting folks have access to the data in the game. Its not as if they are getting extra data, all this data is what players already has access to.

1 hour ago, Shintai said:

When I was young people got banned for "radaring". Now it is a professional service.

In this game kind of game in order to win you have to play to the maximum. This is just another way of getting ahead of your opponents, nothing more and nothing less. 

Actually I think that there are something one can do about this problem.
Due to the new GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) in the EU, you can request that any company hand over/delete anything that they have logged in relation to your person, and since these tools, use your steamname, which is (unless you change it to 123), possibly personally identifiable, then they can be forced to hand over, and delete any data they have on you.

The problem is, you have to be a EU citizen to be protected by this legislation, and you have to make them stop tracking you yourself.
They then have 30 days to comply, or you can lodge a complaint against them with your local data protection agency.

Failure to comply is enforceable with hefty fines, that have made even google/microsoft/apple etc comply to such requests, I don't see why the same can not be the case here.
The problem is, the way the data is collected, everytime you shut down one place, another springs up.

No different players using 123 than having a hundred chinese on the same time with their symbols all looking like the same thing as well.

16 hours ago, Asanna said:

To be fair, if I played PVP, I'd assume it tactical to travel for a long time to raid someone with the possibility they'd be able to find me for revenge. Maybe leave a little taunting note on their claim flag if they had one for good fun banter.

But the fun would (for me) get taken away if I spent all those hours looking for a random grid, with a random island, for a random target. But then they use a third party program to find me without any work.

However I know there's a second head to the PVP coin, someone else might get hit because they "thought it was you"  But such is the life of PVP.

It takes guerilla warfare and turns it into spot lights on their heads.

Thing is, its NOT hard work for the initial raiders. They can just pick any random grid. Hell, a single person from their company could even sail a ship there and the rest spawn in later. So in actuality to get revenge you would have to spend a hundred times if not more, the effort than the initial raiders did.

I feel noob reading this post but i finally understand about "123". Thx for this post! 

Just an idea, if we can't get rid of this, why don't they add tracking and hiding skills tree, allowing you for big amount of point to track other players or stay hidden from other player's tracking?

Just an idea, it could make it fun and give us an other way to counter this issue!

• Like 1

Oh man where to start...

Firstly, some of you REALLY have a hard time comprehending why the issue of tracking others movements is a issue. It is a invasion of privacy. There is no god damn need to know when someone logs in, how long they are playing, etc. If you think you need these for playing the game, maybe you just need to work a little harder at the game and do it the good ole fashion way and hunt for them.

Secondly, we can clearly see there is a couple people here that have way to much time on their hands and maybe would be better spent reading a book or something.

You should be able to play a game and not have to worry about someone tracking your every single movement you do in and out of the game!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

lol Ivah, are you talking about haters and trollers, like on Atlas Discrd?
I'm pretty agree and looking for other way to counter this issue.

Agree, doesn't matter if it's used in ARK, doesn't make it better, tbh that's even more sad as the maps are pretty small with ARK.

Pin pointing someones location, when they log off/on or any other info it provides and PAYING for further information using a third party site, is cheating, you can try to justify it all you like, but it's still cheating. You're gaining or paying for information about a player that is not provided through the actual game or the devs.

• Like 6

i do think that revealing steam names is annoying and tracking like this harms the immersion in such a large world.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Defixio said:

i do think that revealing steam names is annoying and tracking like this harms the immersion in such a large world.

Nonsense. If anything it helps make the world more interactive, more immersive.

Anyone giving OP hard time over this is clearly retarded... being able to track people movements in a pvp mmo = broken game . Especially one that involves territory controll, raiding and any kind of strategy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herasea said:

Agree, doesn't matter if it's used in ARK, doesn't make it better, tbh that's even more sad as the maps are pretty small with ARK.

Pin pointing someones location, when they log off/on or any other info it provides and PAYING for further information using a third party site, is cheating, you can try to justify it all you like, but it's still cheating. You're gaining or paying for information about a player that is not provided through the actual game or the devs.

As I said with a game like this especially on Official PVP servers in order to win you have take every advantage you can short of cheating.

• Like 1

If you are shit at actually playing the game ...ya 

Every day this game looks more and more dogshit lol

Edited by Back Stabbath

So and So enters the server, So and So enters the server OH look a sloop or bigger.... Possible incoming attacks. The problem isn't the players the problem is the gawd darn devs giving API tools access out to parse the information out. It should be banned completely. It should be removed all parsing data from the system and make it legit for each person.

Like i said the game is being developed by a hack and slash set of modders. Lets just copy and paste code its easier. Fix it and ship it.

What happened to be original? Nothing wrong with sub systems taking bits and pieces from, but this is crazy copy and paste.

Naw maybe let steam take care of it, since others have access to end user details through steam ids etc... In the mean time everyone should call themselves 123

15 minutes ago, Back Stabbath said:

Anyone giving OP hard time over this is clearly retarded... being able to track people movements in a pvp mmo = broken game . Especially one that involves territory controll, raiding and any kind of strategy.

No it does not. Its merely an extension of the game.

2 minutes ago, Bullet Force said:

No it does not. Its merely an extension of the game.

Extension? yes your right because devs gave that data out. This is why so many other newer MMOs are trying to go back out to old school MMos where only so much info can be parsed from the game. Pantheon is coming to mind. Its not a game for everyone, but it beats trying to cut trees down all day to be offlined once you see "soandso leaves the server"

But if your trying to justify the reasons its a good thing? yes your and idiot...

• Like 2

People trying to justify using this outside means to track you in and hells even out of game is simply ridiculous. But then again privacy means nothing anymore!!! I'm a VERY old school gamer (yep.. you can make old people jokes) but anyways.. there were games played open world like this, and what did we do.. we tracked in game and when we knew they were at their weakest... meaning away from their bases, NOT offline.. we attacked.. we went out to where they were hunting, gathering and we also attacked them there to make them even weaker.

No one seems to want to put effort into anything anymore.... it is always quick gratification and move on to the next person we can rip apart. This shit gets BORING!! Make a game out of hunting said people you want to take out. This is what turns me away from gaming more and more ... people just don't want to put the effort into anything.

STOP BEING LAZY!!!!!!

And I am not meaning you have to put a million hours into the game, there are ways to go about things to find out info, hunting patterns and such.

Edited by Ivah BlackWater
re-thought wording
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, Ivah BlackWater said:

People trying to justify using this outside means to track you in and hells even out of game is simply ridiculous. But then again privacy means nothing anymore!!! I'm a VERY old school gamer (yep.. you can make old people jokes) but anyways.. there were games played open world like this, and what did we do.. we tracked in game and when we knew they were at their weakest... meaning away from their bases, NOT offline.. we attacked.. we went out to where they were hunting, gathering and we also attacked them there to make them even weaker.

No one seems to want to put effort into anything anymore.... it is always quick gratification and move on to the next person we can rip apart. This shit gets BORING!! Make a game out of hunting said people you want to take out. This is what turns me away from gaming more and more ... people just don't want to put the effort into anything.

STOP BEING LAZY!!!!!!

And I am not meaning you have to put a million hours into the game, there are ways to go about things to find out info, hunting patterns and such.

When you play this game at a high level it comes down more to strategy and organisation then anything else. If you are in a large company then its even more important to use specialized tools to aid in organisation and logistics. You talk about players not wanting to put effort into the game but you are clearly missing the point. These tools the custom ones companies develop like the Raid Master are custom software coded by players in this case myself and others. 

Overall it took several weeks of fine tuning to get it working properly. I wouldn't call that a lack of 'effort'. This is a kind of game that rewards players for going that extra bit further to get ahead, just because you are unwilling or unable to play the game to the maximum doesn't mean others should be denied the opportunity. Official PVP servers are meant to be the most competitive version of the game out there, that is why after all we play on them and not some casual unofficial server.