Sign in to follow this  
Viscos

SOTD loot is a joke?

So ive been hunting these pests around the oceans now for a few days. 

Other than the crew they are useless to hunt. 
its way more expensive to repair the ship contra the costs of killing them. 

Will this get looked at? 
With the new update there are now tons of SOTD that noone wants to kill. so kiting 5+ for a while is not rare... 

Make it worth for me to take them out please! 

BR

If you put rear facing heavy cannons you can bait them to chase you and out range them.  You literally take no damage but you are right the cannonballs are still more valuable then the sotd loot.  

SOTD loot is the *only* place to get ship component blueprints.   Tougher planks, faster sails, etc.   That's the point of hunting them. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I agree with the original post that the concept is great but the execution needs to be worked on.

You either make a ship specifically designed to eliminate SOtD's quickly with minimal damage, which is so weighed down with cannons and such that it's not really feasible to go out exploring or resource hunting.  Then you spend hours sailing around looking for the elusive High Level SOtD's because even though you can destroy the Low Level ones just as easily, the loot return and time investment are like tossing money overboard.

OR you make a cargo ship with speed/weight sails and just sail around locally or to specific locations for "X" resource while dodging all the SOtD's as best you can hoping you can get your resource back to base.  Then when you need to pay the 3-5 crew members you need to control the sails you simply hop over to another island in your same sector with a bear and in 1-2 hours you can dig up 5-6 common treasure maps with no trouble.

1 hour ago, Khaler said:

SOTD loot is the *only* place to get ship component blueprints.   Tougher planks, faster sails, etc.   That's the point of hunting them. 

I think the loot tables are about right for SOD’s in that 90 % of what you get is ship related with the occasional odd building bp thrown in.

Ya I tried to do the same as OP and got nailed like you are now.....It's not a one stop shop.....It's not supposed to give you gold.....if you want gold go do treasure.... blah blah....meanwhile I do treasure maps with zero risk of losing anything where my ship has so much mtls, and time that can be lost. But hey we get blueprints and 20 gold on a good day. 

Yep, like others stated, it’s about the ship blueprints. If you do it right, you don’t get (that much) damage at all. I like it, we only kite them when we think there are too many again. 

2day I joined to the party and finally start to hunt them...

I killed lvl 3 and got blue BP of ammo box.

I Killed lvl 11 and got blue BP of Swivel.

I Killed lvl 23 and got blue BP of ammo box (same as from lvl 3) and green BP of Swivel (worse than from lvl 11).

So... I don't understand it yet. Is there hunting high lvl SotD's worth it?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Viscos said:

So ive been hunting these pests around the oceans now for a few days. 

Other than the crew they are useless to hunt. 
its way more expensive to repair the ship contra the costs of killing them. 

Will this get looked at? 
With the new update there are now tons of SOTD that noone wants to kill. so kiting 5+ for a while is not rare... 

Make it worth for me to take them out please! 

BR

The loot for the SoD does seem on the low side. But as others have said it's the only way to get ship part bp which can make quite a difference in optimizing your ship's performance. 

I could maybe see the need/want to hunt down SOtD's for ship blueprints if I was playing in a PvP server where I had to worry that someone with a bigger ship and nothing to do would take notice and give chase.  In that case every little bit of extra durability matters for both your bases and ships.

But for those of us on a PvE server, there isn't really a need to struggle for high grade ship parts just like there isn't a need to to grab flotsam except if your collecting song sheets.  No body is going to raid our base or sink our ships in our sleep, basic planks are fine if all I'm looking to do is go exploring or resource gathering.

If you ARE equipped with upgraded planks how much of a return do you actually see?  If I decked out a Schooner with Journeyman planks will it allow it to take twice to three times as much punishment from an SOtD as one with basic planks?  Or simply 1-2 more volley's?

Well I mean SOTD are about to change anyways, so get ready for possibly better loot?

I've gotten amazing BPs from doing them bnb I have no complaints but I know not everyone has the same luck.

49 minutes ago, CoopedUp said:

I could maybe see the need/want to hunt down SOtD's for ship blueprints if I was playing in a PvP server where I had to worry that someone with a bigger ship and nothing to do would take notice and give chase.  In that case every little bit of extra durability matters for both your bases and ships.

But for those of us on a PvE server, there isn't really a need to struggle for high grade ship parts just like there isn't a need to to grab flotsam except if your collecting song sheets.  No body is going to raid our base or sink our ships in our sleep, basic planks are fine if all I'm looking to do is go exploring or resource gathering.

If you ARE equipped with upgraded planks how much of a return do you actually see?  If I decked out a Schooner with Journeyman planks will it allow it to take twice to three times as much punishment from an SOtD as one with basic planks?  Or simply 1-2 more volley's?

This pretty much.

I agree about the better BP for PvP. 

For PvE, if i can take out a high level SotD with basic stuff, what's the need for better planks? use 20+ cannon balls and get 1- 3 ammo out of the crate?

An idea would be custom looking canons or ship planks, for PvE that would make hunting them way more interesting.

Maybe later when down the line for ghost ships or other hostile NPCs will make it worth while, but PvE needs other intensives imho

There seems to be a relation between how quickly you kill them and the loot you get. at first with my schooner it took a while to kill them and i got nothing but common bps from greens, eventually killed yellows and i would get the occasional green bp, maybe a blue with some luck.

I have since gotten considerably more efficient and deadly vs SODS, im still using a schooner, but i have noticed if I 1 shot green sods i am guaranteed green bps, yellows now give me green and a few blue bps. because i 4 shot em. red are giving me blues and some masterwork bps.

I can't say the loot is bad , i feel its about right considering i have only gone up to lvl 30sod with my schooner.

But how quickly you take them out seems to matter. I posted my schooner set up on the PVE sod post.

edit: a bit more gold would be nice. getting 20g out of a lvl 20 seems a bit  low. when a whale that is much easier to get, can give you 1k+

Edited by Nokim

1 hour ago, CoopedUp said:

There is some degree of variation in quality of bp even in the same category, and some stats are hidden from players, but there are some bp that can make a difference even if you're not fighting. For instance, sail bp can increase your sailing speed, which means faster trips. Ship panel bp tend to have more health, which means they can take more damage before being destroyed. And since every ship takes damage just being used, that has a value outside of combat as well. 

I think they're worth having even in PvE but value is subjective. And if the bp are not worth anything to you personally there are people willing to trade gold, mats, or tames for them. I know because our company has traded in bp before.

That said, I would also not be mad if they increased what you got from SoD drops. 

6 hours ago, Khaler said:

A mid range yellow will get you a ton of blueprints of blue quality (ton =5~).

SotD are blueprints, crew, and impedance.

7 hours ago, Khaler said:

Which for the most part are useless and not worth the cannon balls. SOTD hunting for me and many others is going to powerstone server looking for the high level (red) SOTD while just ignoring the countless low level ones (green) - yes they are 1shot for me, but I will throw away all their BPs as useless, so why kill them (wasting ammo) to begin with? They are only good for crew and leveling up new ships. If no one kills them for those 2 reasons they just pile up as no one kills them for gold or BPs...

yes, they are currently piling up as it seems it spawns one new every night but noone kills them. the other day i was chased by no less than 6 of them. i had no intention of fighting them as the cannonballs are more expensive than the loot so i just passed them by. stacking them up in one area.. 

16 hours ago, Sharana said:

Which for the most part are useless and not worth the cannon balls. SOTD hunting for me and many others is going to powerstone server looking for the high level (red) SOTD while just ignoring the countless low level ones (green) - yes they are 1shot for me, but I will throw away all their BPs as useless, so why kill them (wasting ammo) to begin with? They are only good for crew and leveling up new ships. If no one kills them for those 2 reasons they just pile up as no one kills them for gold or BPs...

Yep, I like kiting them, even the small ones even though I never pick up their loot anymore. But if there are people there that don't even like that..