Sign in to follow this  
Orionadie

Is kiting SOTD even griefing. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate questions.

First is griefing not the repeated harrassment of a player or players over and over again.

Is kiting of SOTD to an enemy. In which anyone whom is not in your company is an enemy. Kiting of a mob is just finding an alternate way of attacking someone.

Especially when too many people have too many claim flags. Grapeshot will not fix that system to allow people to get land.

So people must come up with their own possible solutions?

Are their ways to protect your ships bases from Sotd? 

As I have seen them spawn close to mainland and aggro without player intervention.

How else can people claim land in pve no one needs 100 plus claim flags and thats does even include sea flags.

So what is worse griefing hogging land or the rare sotd attack which are their to attack players.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE QUESTIONS. Flame on.

Edited by Orionadie

I just had someone lure a sotd to my base less than an hour ago, he nearly sunk one of my ships but he did destroy a resource box i had on my dock with over 9k metal in it which he proceeded to throw on the ground...... thats mental illness

in how far does kiting SotD to a base to have them destroy it have anything to do with the number of land claims someone has? Does destroying a base make the land claimable....no, it does not.  The only reason for those who do this shit is to ruin other peoples day beacuase they somehow get some strange kind of satisfaction out of it, nothing to do with "alternate ways to fix what grapeshot isnt fixing"

• Like 3

In a PvE server and in theory, there should be no player vs player actions. It requires a player action to kite the SotD and to make them aim their cannons hence ....

There are PvP servers for this kind of play.

• Like 4

Agreed that luring SOTD into someone else’s base is a pvp action and should have no effect on pve players. The patch notes stated that SOTD “should no longer attack anchored ships in PVE” the issue that was overlooked was that SOTD weren’t targeting anchored ships, they were targeting the person hiding behind anchored ships. I think the developers kinda missed what everyone was complaining about.  I started building a fort around my ships using a large Shipyard turned sideways, you can use pillars, ceiling tiles and walls to build off the deck, the only issues that I had doing this is the mats it requires and how to get my ships in and out. I am building a Galleon in the shipyard and I moved the shipyard so close to the edge where it gets deep that I can’t place a gate. All my other ships are behind / side of the shipyard figuring that SOTD would come within range of said player who lured them and have to shoot over the shipyard to hit my other ships, found out that idea was flawed because they can lure SOTD all the way into shore, so I stopped on the fort idea and just hope they come up with a fix because I don’t have the time to build a fort around my ships to only continue to tear down walls each time I want to leave the protection of the walls.

• Like 1

You posted in PvE was that intended? If so then yes kiting is grieving.

Go to PvP if you want to "Kite a mob as alternate way of attacking someone"

Edited by Nari
  • Like 1

All I ask from the devs is FIX the god damn option on cannons to fire at ships only, it currently fires at every fish it sees.

If they fix this bug people can bring as many SOTD in as they like, I wouldn't care.

As it stands, as soon as you're offline you're vulnerable and I dare say people keep tabs on you to check when active to pick the right moment.

There is no defence against SOTD unless you're online and see it happening.  Please fix this bug with cannons. This is PVE, I wouldn't even be mentioning this if it was PVP but its not. 

They made a attempt to fix it already if you will read the patch notes. They stated that SOTD should no longer attack anchored ships that has not previously had aggro with them.

3 hours ago, DannyUK said:

All I ask from the devs is FIX the god damn option on cannons to fire at ships only, it currently fires at every fish it sees.

If they fix this bug people can bring as many SOTD in as they like, I wouldn't care.

As it stands, as soon as you're offline you're vulnerable and I dare say people keep tabs on you to check when active to pick the right moment.

There is no defence against SOTD unless you're online and see it happening.  Please fix this bug with cannons. This is PVE, I wouldn't even be mentioning this if it was PVP but its not. 

this is the issue we need the cannons fixed so that the ai crew don’t shoot at fresh air then it won’t be an issue so much as we can set up cannons to combat this , ai crew few large cannons / balistaa should help defend against this sort of behaviour 

2 hours ago, Daemon Cross said:

They made a attempt to fix it already if you will read the patch notes. They stated that SOTD should no longer attack anchored ships that has not previously had aggro with them.

they are not attaking the ships they are attacking the players that hide behind the ships

, u have no idea about the mechanic used when kiting the sotd to shore in pve.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:51 PM, Orionadie said:

Devil's Advocate questions.

First is griefing not the repeated harrassment of a player or players over and over again.

Is kiting of SOTD to an enemy. In which anyone whom is not in your company is an enemy. Kiting of a mob is just finding an alternate way of attacking someone.

Especially when too many people have too many claim flags. Grapeshot will not fix that system to allow people to get land.

So people must come up with their own possible solutions?

Are their ways to protect your ships bases from Sotd? 

As I have seen them spawn close to mainland and aggro without player intervention.

How else can people claim land in pve no one needs 100 plus claim flags and thats does even include sea flags.

So what is worse griefing hogging land or the rare sotd attack which are their to attack players.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE QUESTIONS. Flame on.

You seem to be talking about pve, so yes, it's griefing there.  Although the game uses the word "enemy" talking about other players' territories, pve is supposed to be an environment where you cannot attack other players or their belongings and destroy them.

Deliberately attacking and destroying the property of other players in pve is griefing.

The claim system is awful.  The devs know that.  They say they are going to rework the entire thing.  Using griefing as your own personal way to change the claim system is a stupid and selfish idea.  It will get you reported and it may get you banned.

1 hour ago, uli said:

, u have no idea about the mechanic used when kiting the sotd to shore in pve

Actually I do, I already stated that same thing in another thread, this is old news and you are not alone in the frustration.

on a PvE server i'd go so far as to say it's an outright EXPLOIT, as by design, a player should NOT be able to destroy another players assets.  Abusing stupid AI to circumvent in game restrictions IS exploiting.  It's equal to using 'special' characters to evade a swear filter on a childrens show.

It's not nice, it's not fair, it's not within the spirit of the game.

hence I call exploit, not 'griefing'.

• Like 1

It’s both, your not the only person who is dealing with it, it’s not in the interest of pve and it shouldn’t be allowed. We’ve all been posting on forums, discord and Twitter about the issue. That’s why you seen the patch notes say that SOTD should not aggro on ships that are anchored that hasn’t pulled aggro previous.  We are all worried about losing our ships but I’ll let you in on a little secret, people who allow building on their claims better rethink where they allow building because now people are building pillars under boats to sink them. My ship was blocked in when I had to log out on someone else’s claim, blocked in with gates and pillars, I was lucky and they left enough stuff that could be demolished and I could get out but they wouldn’t have had to

Any player who causes another player grief by sinking their ships is griefing using a exploit.

So I can confirm its not fixed in PVE.  I was on my galleoon when a low level sotd strated to give chase.  I didn't want towaste time fighting so I just drove on. I parked on the backside of an island to do a map.  When i was running around the island I saw the same SOTD sinking someones ship. I ran back to my galleon to try and stop what was happening but it was to late.  It sunk someones schooner.  I felt terrible that I could not sink the sotd in time.  

14 hours ago, DannyUK said:

Would this fix create a new problem in PVE where players lure sotd to bases with cannons that shoots down sotd for them and then free looting sotd?

I do however agree that more options for opening fire should be available.

Edited by NiHiL