Sign in to follow this  
WInslow

Alphas, alphas, alphas.

Again, alphas. 

While treasure mapping, an alpha lion (on an island I've seen NO cats on, mind you) snatched me off of my bear and near instant killed me. while I was spawning back and running over, it killed both my combat bear and my cargo bear I had out for adventuring. 

Again, not against high difficulty or fun challenges. Where though is the challenge in being killed by an alpha predator that was unavoidable (it quite literally appeared from nowhere and then disappeared after the death pile, it was nowhere to be found). I was able to recover the gold, gear and blueprints from the day and ultimately was only out 2 bears.

But 2 bears! 2 bears should have been able to at least hold their own against a cat, alpha or not. One was 65, half points put into melee half into health (had about 800 hp?) and the other was hp and carry weight. But still, bears! 

It's a little absurd at this point, certain death everywhere. I'm fine with myself dying repeatedly, but it's not like tames just fall out of the sky it's more like they just raise themselves up to heaven.

/endrant

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Think we have all made the mistake of our tames being on passive. It’s not a big deal until a lion wants to say hi. 

• Like 1

Non Alpha lions bleed attack chews up HP VERY fast. So even if they fought back that doesn't surprise me with an Alpha. Tames also attack considerably slower than you can while on the back of a tame. The fact they pull you off so easily is a bit annoying, you don't even have a chance to try and stop it. I have only lost one tame via having it on passive while we were taming a lion I left it just around the corner for a few minutes and for whatever reason I didn't hear it dying to a cobra making its grunting noise even though I could hear the Elephants thumping just past where it was just fine, I even double checked before I left I left it there. By the time my brother saw it and shot at the cobra it died like a split second before the cobra died. Plus the server we are on has damage splats turned off to avoid abusing it in PVP to see players locations.

Sorry to hear about your bears, sucks losing good tames to stuff like that.

Edited by Thor Ragnarock

6 hours ago, WInslow said:

It's a little absurd at this point, certain death everywhere. I'm fine with myself dying repeatedly, but it's not like tames just fall out of the sky it's more like they just raise themselves up to heaven.

Ok, so obviously you weren't around pre-wolf/alpha nerf.  The reason people are laughing at your post is because of how utterly absurd it sounds compared to just a few weeks ago. You were what? Out with TWO bears farming?  Pre-nerf, you would have been called an idiot. Now, we'll just call you a newb.

• Thanks 1

Same happened to my recently... but ti was an alpha wolf...

- 5 more regular wolves.

- 7 cobras.

- 6 lions.

- 3 scorpids.

- 1 rattle snake

- 1 croc.

At least I counted that much of them... it's 23 different animals from different species! Cats, dogs, coldblooded, warmblooded all were best friends to each other... (I tamed another bear, took my well armed boat and went to revenge next day... they say that the taste of vengeance is bittersweet ©).

If they keep nerfing alphas there wont be anything left. 2 bears (above level 10) should have easily been able to handle an alpha lion. One or both had to be passive.

Also what kind of armor did you have on for it to one shot you? I have 110 HP common fur armor and it takes a lot more than one bite from a lion. 

Edited by Nari

We took on over 100 level 150 snakes on a powerstone island with the infinite spawners with 1 bear, idk why you’re on the forums over dying to an alpha lion.

bears with swivels, even without swivels are quite overpowered for mapping regardless.

Edited by Bad News Bear

15 hours ago, WInslow said:

certain death everywhere

I think this is the vision of the dev team. I think its turning in to a costly vision.

They seem to want a very hardcore world. They are finding many don't want to play in that world. And those willing to, don't want that part of it.

100 percent on passive, I've killed many alpha tigers and lions, I've been grabbed and my bear and he took control and started fighting. Saved me many times. It's so nerfed I welcome 2 alpha lions now where before I'd run.

36 minutes ago, Buck Rider said:

I think this is the vision of the dev team. I think its turning in to a costly vision.

They seem to want a very hardcore world. They are finding many don't want to play in that world. And those willing to, don't want that part of it.

They've more or less said as much, but if they didn't realize such obnoxious game elements didn't have a very broad appeal, it seems the volume of complaints did get through to them somewhat. Alphas have received quite a few nerfs and they aren't the same level of broken they used to be.

I still think alphas should be confined to areas that are clearly understood to be very challenging content zones and not just show up out of the blue on a normal island just to screw with you. And as weird as it is, if the devs really want "hardcore mode" they should set up a separate server for it, because there are players here that would enjoy that sort of thing. 

I personally don't mind challenging content, but it is disconcerting when devs don't know the difference between challenging content and player griefing content without being told. 

Well I know we lost a couple bears a while back in a fight with an alpha. We just tamed two more and moved on. For some people it is supposed to be a survival game, others think its about picking flowers and singing happy songs.

Newsflash stuff dies get over it.

There are moments when I miss the good old days of a level 2 wolf slaughtering my LVL 50 character in two bites, or that same LVL 2 wolf taking well over 6 shots to kill...all six guns loaded and equipped were not enough....however some islands have all the baddies you ever imagined in one spot, and others are quite calm in comparison 😞 neutral setting ftw and as mad eye moody would say...constant vigilance 🙂 GL and may the odds be ever in you favour 😄 lol

alphas have been nerfed so hard..im not sure what to say other than your bears suck.

I got bears with 1k health 1.5-2k carry weight and any of them can take on an alpha anything.Lions are just tough because they grab you almost instantly. but a bear should be able to hold its own long enough for you to come back for it or bring reinforcements. personally i use the skill of watching my surrounding and i have not had a surprise attack for weeks.

4 hours ago, Fae Killgrave said:

There are moments when I miss the good old days of a level 2 wolf slaughtering my LVL 50 character in two bites, or that same LVL 2 wolf taking well over 6 shots to kill...all six guns loaded and equipped were not enough.

Eh, go to the poles and solo yeti's without a tame. You'll get plenty of flashbacks from that.

so I killed alphas with bow spear spike pistols carabine sword shield ballistas

and I punched to death an alpha manta ray who failed to swim

alphas and golden age ruins mobs are the only environment dangerous so we need them

but exploring golden age ruins is way more painfull

only safe way is to block mobs and kill them with ranged

For me its the snakes not only are their hit boxes a pain (low down to the ground and narrow) but they don't want me to have a bear. Every single time I try to tame one snakes will suddenly spawn out of nowhere (I have checked the entire area around before taming but as soon as I've got the bear on low health and Bola'd hissss) and kill the bear.

"You all have better tames than I did" 

I get it. My bears sucked. also they were on neutral, and the bleed effect is what ultimately killed them. 

It still doesn't negate the loss. Way to go good job being assholes about it 👍

Edited by WInslow
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Nari said:

If they keep nerfing alphas there wont be anything left. 2 bears (above level 10) should have easily been able to handle an alpha lion. One or both had to be passive.

Also what kind of armor did you have on for it to one shot you? I have 110 HP common fur armor and it takes a lot more than one bite from a lion. 

should ...  yadda yadda yadda.

i lost 2 bears that most definately were on neutral guarding me while picking bamboo.

the alpha lion came outta nowhere chewed me and while i respawned close by my bears (27 and 17 before tame) went down. they were close to being maxed out and the lvl 17 killed 2 lions earlier while i was riding it and called no specials.

so 'should' is quite appropriate 'cause it doesn't

Exactly the same thing happened to us with no warning. Alpha lion hooked the rider off the bear, killed us both , killed the bear and camped out bodies so we lost everything. VERY annoying. 

If the high density undergrowth there is literally no warning and it's so disorientating being dragged around by the lion.

1 hour ago, Strategos said:

Exactly the same thing happened to us with no warning. Alpha lion hooked the rider off the bear, killed us both , killed the bear and camped out bodies so we lost everything. VERY annoying. 

If the high density undergrowth there is literally no warning and it's so disorientating being dragged around by the lion.

Turn the foliage down to nothing in the options menu.

The only danger tames got is alphas, the tames are insanely OP as such. A single midrange bear can easily fight 5-10 cobras/lions/tigers the same time.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Shintai said:

The only danger tames got is alphas, the tames are insanely OP as such. A single midrange bear can easily fight 5-10 cobras/lions/tigers the same time.

you mean only bear is op. thats right. try that with a wolf or bull tame lol. tames are weak as fuck except the big ones like bear.