Sign in to follow this  
Vangar

NOT a game for SOLO players

This is not a game for a single player or even small gang of players

In PVP forget of having fun playing solo or small gang. You will be raided, your base will be destroyed and stuff you gathered with hard work will be stolen every time you enter the game next day (assuming you don't play the game 24 hours a day). Few planks floating on the water will show you the place where the previous day you left your ship, that you were building the whole day.You will be building again and again only to give fun big and old companies in destroying it and robbing it. You'll be discouraged hard to stay long enough until you reach the state of the game when you could protect your base during your absence. Remember, entering now after a few month of game you're facing powerful, established companies that have the whole islands or many of them, that have all powers available in the game and that want to rule alone the whole Atlas. Everything what you have in the beginning are your pants and naive, false believe. The only way to play PVP is joining big companies, where most of the time you will be gathering stuff for the bosses. If they don't like you, you can be dismissed any time ending up with nothing.

In PVE you can live on the water in tiny Sloop or in narrow and crowded piece of land in Lawless area. Forget of settling down in Not Lawless area to build long lasting permanent base. Two, three or five people own the whole islands. Many time they occupy the area with 20 or 30 flags in a greedy desire only to have more land. You can not claim the flag until they stop playing for 20 days or so. Will you have enough patience to wait for it. Maybe on the last day they arrive again to reset the counter for next 20 day. Travelling from island to island in my attempt to find some land I observed that there is not much life preset there. Despite of it nobody will allow you to settle. It is mine and go away.

So solo player if you are very, very patient you can try but the question is: will you have fun?. Probably not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I solo just fine on pve.  I have 2 crewmayes but they are weekend warriors.  I have like 6 claim flags.  1 brig 1 galleon 3 schooner 4 sloops.  I have an Outpost in lawless.  I have about 350hrs in game.   

I have lost ships to griefers as well

It's not that bad.

• Like 4

Dear OP, now you witnessed a thousand and one stupid reason why MMO suited ONLY for large companies and not suited for single players and small companies. Do not pay attention to them - these people either do not understand the meaning of MMO, or just trolls.

On the topic: Yes, the claims system does not work correctly, but the developers plan to fix it in the big February patch, but judging by the latest patches, changes for the better will not be and the mechanics will break even more.

• Thanks 1

Forget of settling down in Not Lawless area to build long lasting permanent base.

We play DUO and live for a months in lawless tundra. We feel happy about the place : ))

Two, three or five people own the whole islands.

Not just an island. Today I was sailing back to base and did stops at every islands I pass for discoveries. I saw the situation - one guy (or maybe it's a company) claimed for like 3 or 4 islands in 2 neighbors grids and offering everyone to settle with rent taxes : )

some land I observed that there is not much life preset there

Look at TUNDRA. I mean it sound scary but we live there for a months and with FUR clothes and fortitude around 30 - we feels happy. Even in coldwave + storms. For example - in i2 EU PVE we have 3 islands. Millertown is closest to southern border and its 5 minutes sail from freeport. So it's busy. But the largest island east (Wandering Atol) have a huge free spaces there.

his is not a game for a single player or even small gang of players

You know what ironic? The game also CAN NOT handle large groups of players. If there is for 80 ppl in server all goes SOOOOO SOOOO LAGGY! : )

"A massively multiplayer online game (MMOG, or more commonly, MMO) is an online game with large numbers of players, typically from hundreds to thousands, on the same server."

From here

Now, please tell me where it mentions that MMO's are only to be played in large tribes / companies / guilds / clans / etc.. 
Great, now let's all enjoy a game that has to be progressive (in as that you have the option to join larger groups and be incetivised to do so, but it is NOT a mandatory thing), and lets cut this BS that everybody should only play in large groups. Everybody knows the ups and downs of large groups.

Also, do imagine these "regions" having 150 people on them and tell me how you like to play that in PVP with large groups with 10 fps and 300 ping. Great! now go ponder on the meaning of life.

I play in a crew of four, but got started with just a partner.  I'll honestly agree that the game would be off-putting completely solo, there's a lot of value in somebody to watch your back, but small groups, at least on PVE, we're having a blast.

If you're solo, be picky about your island.  There is a wide range of how nasty they are.  Some are downright peaceful.  But you gotta be picky and get on one of those where there's only one predator every few hours (they exist).  Same with lawless. About half the lawless islands are covered in foundations and pillars, but a good half we come across are pretty sparse

31 minutes ago, Vangar said:

So solo player if you are very, very patient you can try but the question is: will you have fun?. Probably not.

As in Ark, the real fun, interaction and challenge is on Unofficial servers.  I play on a 6x4 PvP/PvE server, x3 rates and only one mod, which is a stacking mod.  There are around 60 to 65 islands, which include all the Biomes, all of which means a LOT of room for players to Claim and build on.  Players are civil, don't hog the land and are happy to trade and chat with each other.  There are Companies, of course, but also solo players such as myself, and everyone gets along. 

It's a nice change to NOT have people pillaring all around you to restrict you to a tiny little spot of land, and it's equally nice to see all your ships still afloat after logging out for the night, two things you'll never be able to count on when playing on an Official server.  I play less and less on Official servers, or as I call them The Griefing and Exploiting Servers.  😄

well if you do fancy abit of RP there is LOTS of fun to be done, all these survival mmo's are always abit toxic for solo players on official servers, but as soon as i join a decent private server preferably an RP pvp server im having alot of fun even if i start out alone and join only 3 or 4 more. 
these games are perfect for RP imo. but if you dont like that stuff yea i guess you can be right.

Well, it's kind of obvious, don't you? Been a MMO, why some people pretend that this game needs mechanics or features for soloplayers? If you don't have friends to play with, found the way to survive and have your things.

I play SOLO, i have already like 300 hours, i'm in PvE and i'm getting my stuff, build ships, went for treasures, build a couple of bases, craft weapons and armor, discover a lot of islands and places, i did the FoY alone, and more without help, sometimes i found a random player which trade resources, help each other to kill some high level animal or things like that, but if at this time, you couldn't established yourself in some place in lawless zones, well, you're doing something wrong.

And yes, i'm f_cking having FUN! :classic_biggrin:

Edited by JotaCe
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Vangar said:

This is not a game for a single player or even small gang of players

In PVP forget of having fun playing solo or small gang. You will be raided, your base will be destroyed and stuff you gathered with hard work will be stolen every time you enter the game next day (assuming you don't play the game 24 hours a day). Few planks floating on the water will show you the place where the previous day you left your ship, that you were building the whole day.You will be building again and again only to give fun big and old companies in destroying it and robbing it. You'll be discouraged hard to stay long enough until you reach the state of the game when you could protect your base during your absence. Remember, entering now after a few month of game you're facing powerful, established companies that have the whole islands or many of them, that have all powers available in the game and that want to rule alone the whole Atlas. Everything what you have in the beginning are your pants and naive, false believe. The only way to play PVP is joining big companies, where most of the time you will be gathering stuff for the bosses. If they don't like you, you can be dismissed any time ending up with nothing.

In PVE you can live on the water in tiny Sloop or in narrow and crowded piece of land in Lawless area. Forget of settling down in Not Lawless area to build long lasting permanent base. Two, three or five people own the whole islands. Many time they occupy the area with 20 or 30 flags in a greedy desire only to have more land. You can not claim the flag until they stop playing for 20 days or so. Will you have enough patience to wait for it. Maybe on the last day they arrive again to reset the counter for next 20 day. Travelling from island to island in my attempt to find some land I observed that there is not much life preset there. Despite of it nobody will allow you to settle. It is mine and go away.

I can confirm all of that. Thats why i stopped Atlas. Maybe i come back if it will change in a more solo player friendly direction.

At the moment you can do nothing more than live in a freeport with sap and crystal.

a) buy sloop

b) take fire arrows and oil jars with you

c) sink them all !

After the funny suicide trip relax, chill and chuckle till the next run.

Edited by Talono

Lawless has been the best for our small company, honestly pretty manageable now since you can spawn on land in lawless. 

Make sure you make a pen with a gate on it, make it extra big so oil jars cant kill stuff inside, once you have a safe bear with a shipyard, you can make boats easy and explore the world or whatever you wanna do. You get trouble every now and again in lawless, but for the most part the mega companies leave it alone. 

Place defences and be creative if your gonna park your ships there though!

The solo players are always looking for easy resources. 

On PvE its easy . The only content i did not see (and maybe never will) is the Kraken. Even solo'd Hydra. I own all u need (Gale, couple Brigs for different purposes, etc.) and its a relaxed life here on my Isle. I only took 2 Land and 1 sea claim and taxed them with 5% (all i need).

PvP is a different story. I switched from PvP to PvE after 3 days, cuz i got gangbanged a lot, so i understand your pain. And Knzvgame is right, MMO does not mean its only playable with a large guild. It means, that a lot of people play at the same time.

Edited by Chett
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MrHeid said:

I solo just fine on pve.

LOL Sorry, but this is funny. PVEers talking about how it isnt that bad, when the guy is talking about PVP. Do us all a favor, learn to understand context and do not comment on PVP matters. Constantly PVEers come on here, talk about things that make little to no sense in a PVP context, when they are talking about PVP related maters. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Evir said:

LOL Sorry, but this is funny. PVEers talking about how it isnt that bad, when the guy is talking about PVP. Do us all a favor, learn to understand context and do not comment on PVP matters. Constantly PVEers come on here, talk about things that make little to no sense in a PVP context, when they are talking about PVP related maters. 

Read the Headline. Its a generally statement: "not a game for solo players".

*yawn*

• Like 1

Right now I am on a grid / server where only 1 people is playing - EU PVE. Saturday night and 2 people together with me. I visited the all islands and guess what. Nothing. You can not play the game the way it supposed to be played meaning you can not settle your base and start your adventure. This is ridiculous. Is it supposed to be for one man fun game for one server? I was not able to take away even one single flag from a company that had 70. Devs - keep it like that and you'll end up with few people in the whole beautifull world you have created.

5 minutes ago, Chett said:

Read the Headline. Its a generally statement: "not a game for solo players".

*yawn*

LOL, so you are one of those that only read the title and ignore the body of the post. I bet you comment on youtube videos without watching the video also. Such arrogance with the yawn also. Real know it all, here.

2 hours ago, Evir said:

LOL, so you are one of those that only read the title and ignore the body of the post. I bet you comment on youtube videos without watching the video also. Such arrogance with the yawn also. Real know it all, here.

Its a genrally statement. Correct would have been "The game is not for solo players, if you play PvP".

Just shut the fk up. I did mention both aspects in my earlier post. What you bet - i give a shit. You are a bigot and dumbfuck. Get lost.

Edited by Chett
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Chett said:

Its a genrally statement. Correct would have been "The game is not for PvP as solo players".

Just shut the fk up. I did mention both aspects in my earlier post. What you bet - i give a shit. You are a bigot and dumbfuck. Get lost.

He did, literally the second line of the post. I completely understood the context of the post, you clearly didn't and now you are getting angry, cussing and telling me to go away, because I called you on your lack of ability to read. 
Before you say "I'm not angry" people do not type like you do when they are calm, rational adults. 

2 minutes ago, Evir said:

*snip* bla bla bla, bs, more bs, blabla. *snip*

*yawn* 

6 hours ago, Evir said:

there is a section of the forum for strictly PvP discussions. This is GENERAL DISCUSSION for all areas of the game.

5 hours ago, Chett said:

Its a genrally statement. Correct would have been "The game is not for solo players, if you play PvP".

Toxic

10 minutes ago, Skyroguen said:

there is a section of the forum for strictly PvP discussions. This is GENERAL DISCUSSION for all areas of the game.

Toxic

Well when someone is talking about PVP(IN THE SENTENCE OF THE POST), maybe, just maybe, they are talking about PVP servers. Just a hunch since the PVE servers only have nonsense, exploit "pvp" griefing nonsense.

Edit: And if you mouse over the topic, it even gives you a preview of what the topic is about and the letters PVP are easily visible, and pop out at you since they are the 3 letters in all caps at the beginning of the post.

It is amazing the lengths the people in this post are going to to defend not reading the post at all and responding to the title. Most people PVPers do not even consider the PVE version of the game, as "the game" it is just some side thing that they ignore and is completely irrelevant. And quite frankly, it is, because the AI in this game is totally garbage, you can bug it out and not take any damage if try, just a little bit. The only challenge in the entire game, is PVP. Anything on PVE is a joke, from alphas, to krakens.

Edited by Evir

28 minutes ago, Skyroguen said:

toxic

I know. But he comes in a thread, laughs at everyone and thinks he can tell who is allowed to post and who is not. PvE'er just might want to show OP an option and this moron thinks he acts adult...(i repeat) - he is a dumbfuck.

Edited by Chett
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Evir said:

Well when someone is talking about PVP(IN THE SENTENCE OF THE POST), maybe, just maybe, they are talking about PVP servers. Just a hunch since the PVE servers only have nonsense, exploit "pvp" griefing nonsense.

Edit: And if you mouse over the topic, it even gives you a preview of what the topic is about and the letters PVP are easily visible, and pop out at you since they are the 3 letters in all caps at the beginning of the post.

It is amazing the lengths the people in this post are going to to defend not reading the post at all and responding to the title. Most people PVPers do not even consider the PVE version of the game, as "the game" it is just some side thing that they ignore and is completely irrelevant. And quite frankly, it is, because the AI in this game is totally garbage, you can bug it out and not take any damage if try, just a little bit. The only challenge in the entire game, is PVP. Anything on PVE is a joke, from alphas, to krakens.

And yet PvE is a part of the game. Maybe they should just close down the PvE servers, focus completely on PvP and lose about 2/3 of their remaining player base.

6 hours ago, Mike L said:

Lawless has been the best for our small company, honestly pretty manageable now since you can spawn on land in lawless. 

Make sure you make a pen with a gate on it, make it extra big so oil jars cant kill stuff inside, once you have a safe bear with a shipyard, you can make boats easy and explore the world or whatever you wanna do. You get trouble every now and again in lawless, but for the most part the mega companies leave it alone. 

Place defences and be creative if your gonna park your ships there though!

The solo players are always looking for easy resources. 

a) climbing pick - oil jar - game over for your ship in the large stone gate garage

b) if i am too lazy to climb : One broadside, large stone gate down, byebye ship

You are wrong, solo players are not looking for easy ressources but defences that cause raiders thinking twice if they want to take the efforts to raid.

Edited by Talono