Sign in to follow this  
WInslow

Cyclones now, just really?

Today I experienced the brand new fuckery that is the updated cyclones. I could not sail through them without dying. "But they spawn only 33% of the time now!" except it was still a solid wall of cyclones and now they do significantly more damage.

I am attempting to get a sloop to a golden age ruin so that my company can use the fountain of youth and get one bit of a reprieve from ONE of these awful mechanics for like a month, and in doing so I was killed 4 times in a storm and my sloop (admittedly, it was basic and garbage) was capsized. In one of my bed spawns, a ship of the damned (L20) immediately spawned and just crushed me. 

This is my limit. I appreciate a difficult game, like challenges, like having long term tasks, but this is just a bit extreme. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The devs seems so locked into the idea of a survival game set to the sadistic setting, that removing anything unwanted, must be replaced by something else unwanted.

• Like 5

The storm change was a great introduction to galleon repair cost for us. Took our gally on its maiden voyage (pve) today, went through 1 storm and hit 5 or 6 cyclones and blew through 4k thatch, wood and fiber to repair, lol. Atleast the next 2 times it rained there were no cyclones. 

Edited by jabnlab
  • Like 1

I don't know if it's just me but I've noticed - they heavily increased damage. When we fought SotDs before - the 15 lvl did for like 450 damage to a ship parts per shot. Yesterday we encountered lvl 7 and he did 2100 damage... 

I must say the changes to the storms are amazing. Was out a lot this weekend and for once I was able to enjoy the rain and waves. When the cyclones did hit I wish there wasn't a wall of them though. A bit more spread out would be nice, enough room for ship battles but still tight enough where u need to worry about the direction your going. Either way silent clap and hats off to the person that made the change.  Definetly a step in the right direction.

Problem with the No cyclones is the physics of the tornados are still there... It pushs you all over the fucking place, even in a galleon.  Full lock rudder and it still pushs you that direction.. and galleons turn so slowly that they go that way no matter what. Extremely annoying and unwanted.

Go to a coast and chill for a bit. I have never had problems with it and I’m glad they changed the chance of appareance for the cyclones, bit annoying it was a 100% chance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Percieval said:

Go to a coast and chill for a bit. I have never had problems with it and I’m glad they changed the chance of appareance for the cyclones, bit annoying it was a 100% chance. 

Depending on where you are in the zone frequently not an option. The storm winds reduce your ability to go where you want during the storm and this often means by the time your ship would reach anchorage the storm is over. Storms combined with Sods can create a high risk of losing your ship that is beyond your control. We also experienced the joys of 6k wood worth of repairs after dealing with both cyclones and SODS simultaneously during adventures this weekend. When cyclones are active imo something needs to happen to mitigate the risk of SOD bombardment. Counterfire while being tossed about in a storm makes scoring hits more a matter of luck than skill. People do not like losing large investments of time and energy to chance factors beyond their control.

Yeah, I have to say, I have seemingly ran into more cyclones since this change to reduce them and it makes trying to sail my galleon around a real pain with its slow turning radius.

8 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Depending on where you are in the zone frequently not an option. The storm winds reduce your ability to go where you want during the storm and this often means by the time your ship would reach anchorage the storm is over. Storms combined with Sods can create a high risk of losing your ship that is beyond your control. We also experienced the joys of 6k wood worth of repairs after dealing with both cyclones and SODS simultaneously during adventures this weekend. When cyclones are active imo something needs to happen to mitigate the risk of SOD bombardment. Counterfire while being tossed about in a storm makes scoring hits more a matter of luck than skill. People do not like losing large investments of time and energy to chance factors beyond their control.

Doesn’t change anything to what I said, does it. Doesn’t matter where you are, it applies to every place on the entire map. If you can make it, that’s another thing. And yes, usually I make it. But then again, we sail in waters with almost no SoTD because we farm them, so we don’t have to think about that. 

On 2/9/2019 at 8:57 PM, Iaxa DeVaux said:

The devs seems so locked into the idea of a survival game set to the sadistic setting, that removing anything unwanted, must be replaced by something else unwanted.

yeah there is some serious sadistic guy in charge. no doubt.

• Like 1

Cyclons are Targeting Players, that sucks so Hard.

Its Raining, your on the Sea, you stop and close your Sails and Waiting.  Wrong! Your Targeting by Cyclons!! Rly?

That makes no fun at Sea!!

Edited by Razalon
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 1:23 PM, WInslow said:

Today I experienced the brand new fuckery that is the updated cyclones. I could not sail through them without dying. "But they spawn only 33% of the time now!" except it was still a solid wall of cyclones and now they do significantly more damage.

I am attempting to get a sloop to a golden age ruin so that my company can use the fountain of youth and get one bit of a reprieve from ONE of these awful mechanics for like a month, and in doing so I was killed 4 times in a storm and my sloop (admittedly, it was basic and garbage) was capsized. In one of my bed spawns, a ship of the damned (L20) immediately spawned and just crushed me. 

This is my limit. I appreciate a difficult game, like challenges, like having long term tasks, but this is just a bit extreme. 

Apparently, that 33% chance is for them showing up at all, but once they do show up it's still every bit as obnoxious as it was and then some. There's no avoiding the cyclone clusters. Again, these are not fun, they go on too long, and they're basically just an ***hole tax on sailing.  

47 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

Apparently, that 33% chance is for them showing up at all, but once they do show up it's still every bit as obnoxious as it was and then some. There's no avoiding the cyclone clusters. Again, these are not fun, they go on too long, and they're basically just an ***hole tax on sailing.  

No avoiding? You can damn easy avoid them. They always leave a way for you to sail, unless your weight is shit or for whatever other reason. If your ship is not full of weight, you can avoid them without any problems. 

Most people dont know how to sail properly, they are always 100% sails and always full speed sails

Even before the change i never got hit by the actual cyclones, they were an annoyance, and thats it, this change is excellent.

Drop your sails some to turn faster, keep attention on the changing wind and changing heading, you can slip through them easily, especially if you bother to have a handling sail so that when close on the wind you still get more motion.

22 hours ago, MagnusVohn said:

Problem with the No cyclones is the physics of the tornados are still there... It pushs you all over the fucking place, even in a galleon.  Full lock rudder and it still pushs you that direction.. and galleons turn so slowly that they go that way no matter what. Extremely annoying and unwanted.

This. Ran across a spot where no cyclones but my ship was doing 180's no matter how I steered. Just silly. Had the ship pivot on a dime about 10 times, no cyclones.

• Like 1

Was playing on an unofficial server for a couple of days.  A 9x9, and it seemed the cyclones were turned off.  I loved it.  Unfortunately, the owner seemed to love SotD so much that you would literally find yourself surrounded by them, constantly.  It was like an irritating mini-game of avoiding the SotD.  There so many that you saw many of them colliding.  So we left the server.

However, it did show me how enjoyable the game could be with realistic weather at sea.  The cyclones need to go.  I mean just go, and never return.  This should be replaced with varying degrees of bad weather at sea, and these storms should simply increase the damage done over time, while sailing.  As the damage progresses on your ship, the chance of a catastrophic failure should increase.  So if you allow the damage to get to say, 40% on a mast, then you have a higher chance of that mast being destroyed in a severe storm at sea.

Everything does not have to be a mini-game.  In fact, those mini-games become really annoying after a short time.  Avoiding constant cyclones in a storm.  Fun the first time...increasingly annoying each time after that.  The fun decreases exponentially with each time you have to do it.

2 hours ago, DeBruns said:

Why?

Because I have 5 years in total days, actually at sea.  The cyclones are a stupid addition to the game.  They are one of the most annoying things about it.  They need to go.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:50 AM, Percieval said:

No avoiding? You can damn easy avoid them. They always leave a way for you to sail, unless your weight is shit or for whatever other reason. If your ship is not full of weight, you can avoid them without any problems. 

Part of the problem is the unrealistic way this game deals with weight in a ship.  Ships that are weighed down, can still make pretty good time.  What they can't do as easily, when weighed down, is turn as quickly, stop as quickly, or accelerate as quickly.  This game seems to not understand that when under full sail, with the wind at your back, a ship with a total weight ability of 10k, but only carrying 9k, would not sail at a dead crawl.  It would be more stable, but less nimble, but it would see nowhere near the loss of top speed that you see in this game.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

I too thought the cyclones were fun the first time I sailed in them. When I realized that every single time it rains there are cyclones, it was no longer fun. 

Now they don't occur every time, and that is an improvement.

The 2nd time I was sailing in cyclones, I realized it was just a mini game, not a real storm where you could actually get past or ahead and away from the cyclones, that they were only spawning just around your ship, then I thought this sucks. This is the 2nd part that they need to fix. If they can make the cyclones a localized storm on only one part of the grid, one you can escape, then the cyclones can stay, otherwise they should remove the stupid cyclone mini game.