Sign in to follow this  
Rooster Popelvis

Driven my Brig forwards into a shipyard

Just hold down S while not anchored ... Could Take some minutes ... But your ship moves backwards

Edited by Ameesa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had issues with my brig not reversing periodically lately, couldn't tell you exactly what causes it. Usually when the front of the bow is near shallow water, not even too shallow to maneuver. I have luckily unstuck it every time usually by slowly turning the behemoth so you might have to break the dock if that's an option. Although even in the dock I park mine at there are times it DOES reverse fine and times it doesn't even in the same general area. So I honestly can say it's a bit confusing. I have just really started getting in the habit of sailing in turning sideways as close to where I want to anchor and then reversing in. Also have run into some sandbars that  didn't seem shallow enough to stop me but alas they did, even almost lost it at one point when some planks started breaking, was luckily in a spot I could anchor it even though I was off the coast a good bit and able to replace panels and repair it and yet again slowly turn it out and sail it out. My ship is probably a cat at heart because it's used up at least a few lives already.

Edited by Thor Ragnarock

10 minutes ago, Rooster Popelvis said:

Its not my dock 

Stupid

I didn't say it was your dock? Did you read what I even wrote? 

I said if you ---   CAN'T BACK IT UP ---- Maybe     ----DESTROY DOCK--- And then ---TURN THE SHIP--- 

Did it sink in that time?

There I kept it short I don't want you to hurt your brain having to read all those words. God I probably already typed too much again.

• Haha 1

On 1/20/2019 at 3:44 PM, EmberPride said:

Has anyone confirmed it's at f8?

No escape, nothing works. Thanks for your time. So generanlly it is possible to drive backwards with sailing ships?

5 minutes ago, Rooster Popelvis said:

No escape, nothing works. Thanks for your time. So generanlly it is possible to drive backwards with sailing ships?

Sails must be complet down!

Yes normally they backup fine with S. I was just trying to state I also have been having issues periodically lately with it on my brig also. Couldn't tell you what I do to fix it since I almost always turn the ship around instead to resolve the issue when stuck. I don't park in a shipyard so turning is always an option for me even in the harbor I am based at.

4 minutes ago, Rooster Popelvis said:

Yes, Hold S and use A or D to wiggle. You should be able to get out eventually.

Sometimes backing up doesn't work for me. I have found that you have to lower the sails a little (go forward) and then press "S" again to stop and back-up when that happens. Also, I'm not sure if this works without crew mounted on the sails? I often back my brigs into my docks at night when I log off, so I know it works.

Brigs have a habit of getting beached when you think you have plenty of clearance.  Maybe the hitbox on the keel is larger than what you can see?

Anyway, many frustrating minutes wiggling the boat side to side and keeping the S key mashed down usually gets them free.  It just takes a while.

Something else you can try is to put an AI on the wheel, face the stern and tell them to go where you're facing.   They tend to want to rotate the boat 180 degrees so make sure that won't smack into some shallows or structures and cause more damage first.  The AI have been able to turn/move boats that I couldn't manually.

Edited by Khaler

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:07 PM, Ameesa said:

Just hold down S while not anchored ... Could Take some minutes ... But your ship moves backwards

Ships can reverse?!?  I have lost so many smaller ships by getting too close to stuff and not being able to turn around.  mind...blown...

On 2/9/2019 at 12:39 PM, Nari said:

Yes, Hold S and use A or D to wiggle. You should be able to get out eventually.

Wiggle it?

Just a little bit?