Cpt Al3storm

Less structures and more ships!

I know that this is the kind of game where you should be able to build anywhere and creativity means a lot. But I find it ridiculous enough to overturn the ship's design. You wanted to create a hardcore game but a player can build a wall of cannons on the back or front of the ship and oneshot whatever he wants. Besides, ships with huge buildings on them are ugly. In my opinion, ships must have a predefined design and only the sails can be modified. The cannons must only be placed in the lower deck and with their relative gunports. At most, side cannons can be added on the upper deck. By removing the possibility of adding structures, you should provide more types of ships. For example 5 types of sloops, 5 types of brigantines and 5 of galleons. Maybe with the same statistics but with different skins. It would be far more realistic and players should rely a lot more on maneuvers during a battle.

• Like 1

I don’t like the idea of completely removing the creativity. I do however think those ships with 30 rear facing cannons are rediculous tho lol.  Wonder if they could limit cannons to only being placeable on decks, and maybe add another option for smaller bow and stern decks that would snap between the hulls. This would allow cannons on the bow and stern to an extent, but remove the ability to put in these raised sections with a rediculous number of cannons on them. 

I guess this mechanic would neeed to be limited to ships tho, as you would loose the ability to use cannons on forts/walls/roofs/etc for land based defences. 

• Like 2

While I have to disagree too, I also think, that those canon monsters and ships with ugly buildings on top are ruining the age of sail feeling and the gameplay overall.

As already mentioned, a limit for the rear and front facing cannons would be the easiest solution, at least for the cannons problem.

The visual problem could be solved with a more suiting redactor mode and actual ship parts for the upper deck and all the constructions on it. Then we should be able to make blueprints from our ships and we should be able to share them. Then those who are not able to design a descent looking ship, could use the blueprints instead. 

The construction parts overall could be made a bit more final and modular, consisting of premade structures (walls, walls with cannon emplacements, towers, predesigned buildings etc.), that can be attached to eachother. Like in Life is Feudal, for example. That would also impact the performance in a positive way.

There still will be some ugly ships and buildings, but this is the problem of all sandbox games, that offer some amount of freedom in construction. 

Edited by Cheesey
  • Like 1

Obviously mine was a "drastic" consideration. I alsoI add buildings on the ships but I try to be as minimal as possible and I always try to give it a realistic look. A modular construction method with predefined elements would be an excellent alternative. And I hope they add bigger sails for the galleon too..

• Like 1