Feragus

Need Help Understanding Claims

I'm fairly new to Atlas. I won't deny that, and I have a lot to learn still, but as much sailing as I've been doing what I don't understand is contesting claims. I found a claim earlier that expired, yay, finally a piece of land to call my own! Place claim flag and get this message "This land isn't claimable because neighboring players have been active" Well what in the actual flying monkey crap??? So I ran around and checked, 2 different companies are bordering this expired claim and I can't place a flag because the neighbors have been active? what does that even mean? 

Me and my wife are playing NA PVE.

Edited by Feragus

PVP/PVE? Na/EU .. If EU PvP then I can gibe you your own land Sir!... 

53 minutes ago, Alca said:

PVP/PVE? Na/EU .. If EU PvP then I can gibe you your own land Sir!... 

Sorry let me fix this.

So, whne you have your claim flag out you will see a white timer up top center of your screen. This the how long left until the claim your looking at will become available to claim. (Format is DD:HH:MM:SS)

When it says that it can be contested, you find a spot to put your flag down, it will then begin lowering the other flag. Its 30min per flag, so if there are two enemy flags within your circle (teal during claim) it will take 1 hour before your flag starts being raised. Your flag takes 10min to raise.

If the circle is yellow (holding h will show you circles) someone is currently within your flags radius which is contesting the claim. This will pause the claiming process. If its just you in the circle your good. (I believe crewmates will still interrupt this as well, not 100% on that tho)

Once captured, the circle turns green.

Your flag/claims have multiple settings which you can set. Neutral will let anyone build on your claim. If you set a flag to neutral (or allow x company to build) and then remove the build perms in 10days you should be able to demo that players base. (This is currently bugged and you will be unable to demo)

Conversely, you can build on flags that have a yellow flag icon above them, but the above rules apply.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gindorf said:

So, whne you have your claim flag out you will see a white timer up top center of your screen. This the how long left until the claim your looking at will become available to claim. (Format is DD:HH:MM:SS)

When it says that it can be contested, you find a spot to put your flag down, it will then begin lowering the other flag. Its 30min per flag, so if there are two enemy flags within your circle (teal during claim) it will take 1 hour before your flag starts being raised. Your flag takes 10min to raise.

If the circle is yellow (holding h will show you circles) someone is currently within your flags radius which is contesting the claim. This will pause the claiming process. If its just you in the circle your good. (I believe crewmates will still interrupt this as well, not 100% on that tho)

Once captured, the circle turns green.

Your flag/claims have multiple settings which you can set. Neutral will let anyone build on your claim. If you set a flag to neutral (or allow x company to build) and then remove the build perms in 10days you should be able to demo that players base. (This is currently bugged and you will be unable to demo)

Conversely, you can build on flags that have a yellow flag icon above them, but the above rules apply.

We have like 10 claims. For some reason we only have 4 days instead of 21 days until it can be claimed. Any ideas?

6 hours ago, Feragus said:

I'm fairly new to Atlas. I won't deny that, and I have a lot to learn still, but as much sailing as I've been doing what I don't understand is contesting claims. I found a claim earlier that expired, yay, finally a piece of land to call my own! Place claim flag and get this message "This land isn't claimable because neighboring players have been active" Well what in the actual flying monkey crap??? So I ran around and checked, 2 different companies are bordering this expired claim and I can't place a flag because the neighbors have been active? what does that even mean? 

Me and my wife are playing NA PVE.

It sounds to me like there is severe overlap going on with active neighboring claims.

ie: Company A placed 3 overlapping claims at some point in the past, then Companies B C and D each took one of those claims, and now you're trying to claim Company C's claim, but since its deeply overlapping with Company B and D's claims, its not letting you due to their activity.

Best I can say is try to move around the circle with the claim flag out, and see if theres anywhere that will let you place. Right next to the original flag is the best bet, but you may have to move so your claim circle doesn't cut into the neighboring claims.

18 minutes ago, TridentNova said:

We have like 10 claims. For some reason we only have 4 days instead of 21 days until it can be claimed. Any ideas?

Weird, I have 9 claims, and that gives me about 19.5 days, a neighbor has 16 claims and that gives him 18 and change days.

Try to demolish one of your flags and replace it, and see if it resets?

26 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

Weird, I have 9 claims, and that gives me about 19.5 days, a neighbor has 16 claims and that gives him 18 and change days.

Try to demolish one of your flags and replace it, and see if it resets?

Been doing that and the number of flags keep increasing as im deleting them. interesting. going to keep going. rip.

17 minutes ago, TridentNova said:

Been doing that and the number of flags keep increasing as im deleting them. interesting. going to keep going. rip.

Yeah, something is definitely goofed with yours.

Just tried on one of mine, and it went from 9 to 8, then back up to 9 when I replaced it.

Does everyone in your company see the same number/timer?

Thank you Gindorf. That explanation was more help than anything I could find online since most of the claim instructions are for pvp and dated in december. So from what I'm seeing is that people literally have 3 entire real life weeks before their claim can be contested and if there is any kind of buggy overlapping then the land becomes completely unclaimable unless by one of the people that is overlapping... Seems like this system was designed to ensure land claim spam is legitimate and works solely for the purpose to encourage trolls with the overlapping and denial of claiming areas bordering another area, which is every square inch of the 28 servers I've been to so far. This saddens me quite a bit because I have a lot of friends that are stoked about this game but me and my wife are being the test dummies. It's looking like anyone who wasn't playing at the launch is screwed by the giant companies and whatever this ?????? [][][][][][][] company is I see everywhere...

Hi Feragus, 

If I understand what you have described correctly, based on the messages you are relaying, It appears the new system has made it so that you cannot claim lands which overlap between multiple different companies unless those companies have all been inactive for 3 weeks... 

This will be a consistent problem as there is nothing to stop you from overlapping your own lands.. so if 1 person takes one of my flags which overlaps and another person takes a different flag not touching the first.. but I come back and stop the 3rd circle (in the middle) from being taken.. then we have 3 companies owning overlapping circles.. and now all 3 companies need to be inactive for 3 weeks.

This is a pretty poor outcome as it is standard practice to overlap your own claims, so the scenario above will become more and more common as time goes on, particularly larger companies will find one circle within their mass of land being claimed from them but the lands around will be secured.. now the larger company who has land overlapping the small company has a 21 day timer for all of those overlapping lands, so long as that smaller company remains active all the surrounding land will never be contestable... 

Strange "design".

Even more absurd is this only applies to currently overlapping flags... you can still cause flags to overlap an "enemy" by placing on the edge of the flag you are declaiming or placing a sea claim in a contesting flag rather than a land claim to expand the claim radius so the problem is going to get worse and worse.

Edited by MisterMyztik
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MeatSammich said:

Yeah, something is definitely goofed with yours.

Just tried on one of mine, and it went from 9 to 8, then back up to 9 when I replaced it.

Does everyone in your company see the same number/timer?

So the number just keeps going up and up when I delete them from ~4 to ~36 My company member just sees ~33 though. . . Idk what the ~ means. guessing nothing

3 hours ago, Feragus said:

?????? [][][][][][][] company is I see everywhere...

Those are most likely different companies from Asia. [] indicates a text charecter which you do not have installed so the game defualts to [] or ?.

And yes it very much benefits those who got there first. (Our team merged with another company, which has worked out well for us)

Ultimately I forsee there being a cap on flags along with an eventual wipe, but that will most likely be a year or year and half beofre they do it (if they do it).

I would offer yall a spot on our claims but unfortunately we can not remove the temp base a guy setup on our land which blocks that spot (It was a mutual thing so he could build a schooner)

Talk to people in the server chat, you may be able to find land for sale or companies that will let you build. Ive met plenty of nice folks on NA PvE (granted ive also met plenty of jackasses too)

If your ever in D6 say hi 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MisterMyztik said:

Even more absurd is this only applies to currently overlapping flags... you can still cause flags to overlap an "enemy" by placing on the edge of the flag you are declaiming or placing a sea claim in a contesting flag rather than a land claim to expand the claim radius so the problem is going to get worse and worse.

With one of the new patches, sea claims don't do anything to change structure ownership, or override land claim flags. I had a pillar from another company in a narrow unclaimed space between 2 of my claims, I took over an expired sea claim form a 3rd company in a way that now  encompassed that area, to build a dock, and the pillar is still owned by the original company. Where the sea claim overlaps the neighboring land claim, all the claim info and taxes show as belonging to the neighbor, so at least they fixed that.

4 hours ago, MeatSammich said:

With one of the new patches, sea claims don't do anything to change structure ownership, or override land claim flags

Sea claims have not overwritten ownership of structures as long as I can recall.

They do however allow you to build anywhere within the sea claim, regardless of land ownership.

When there is an overlap the original owner of the land is retained as the owner of the LAND (insofar as taxes are concerned).

However overlapping claims and how they interact with structures are an entirely different matter;

If company A has 3 overlapping claims on which they have built a structure and you steal one of those land claims AND your claim radius encompasses some or all of the building, you MAY now own parts of the structure.

it is highly unlikely that you will own ALL of the structure, we have had instances where we owned half of the containers (not one side or the other, or even every 2nd one but randomly throughout the build we owned containers and the original owners retained the other half) we have had other instances where our claim encompassed a bank but we did not "capture" all of the foundations on which it was placed, in this situation the bank explodes and the contents are left in a container cache.

5 minutes ago, MisterMyztik said:

Sea claims have not overwritten ownership of structures as long as I can recall.

They do however allow you to build anywhere within the sea claim, regardless of land ownership.

When there is an overlap the original owner of the land is retained as the owner of the LAND (insofar as taxes are concerned).

However overlapping claims and how they interact with structures are an entirely different matter;

If company A has 3 overlapping claims on which they have built a structure and you steal one of those land claims AND your claim radius encompasses some or all of the building, you MAY now own parts of the structure.

it is highly unlikely that you will own ALL of the structure, we have had instances where we owned half of the containers (not one side or the other, or even every 2nd one but randomly throughout the build we owned containers and the original owners retained the other half) we have had other instances where our claim encompassed a bank but we did not "capture" all of the foundations on which it was placed, in this situation the bank explodes and the contents are left in a container cache.

Ahh, gotcha. Never tried to build in that sea claim overlap, was just going by the ownership/taxes.

I thought the bank just exploded every time? The two spots Ive capped with banks, both fully inside the claim I took, with no overlaps- 1 the flag was directly next to it- the banks have exploded and turned into a bag as soon as my claiming finished. Maybe because I already have another bank in the grid?

2 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

I thought the bank just exploded every time? The two spots Ive capped with banks, both fully inside the claim I took, with no overlaps- 1 the flag was directly next to it- the banks have exploded and turned into a bag as soon as my claiming finished. Maybe because I already have another bank in the grid?

This is possible, i was referring to instances when we did not already have a bank in the grid.. but definitely it seems like if you do have a bank already its guaranteed to pop.

20 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

I thought the bank just exploded every time?

I have taken land with a bank and the bank remained. I did not have a bank in the sever though.

3 hours ago, Stabby said:

The whole system needs to be rewritten.

I agree with you from my very limited experience stabby. This whole overlapping and chipping away at someones claim seems a bit ridiculous. I think a land claim system such as 7D2D where it's x,y 50x50 foundations etc something along those lines. 1 maybe 2 per person with some sort of achievement or very expensive in game purchase price and completely do away with the overlapping period. You should be able to short yourself on a claim, say john doe has a claim next to jane doe but the claims are 40x50 apart then that should be able to be claimed but you only get that 40x50 section, because I could see how a large company could abuse a 50x50 if they have members put their one claim down 49 from the outer edge of the next one.

3 hours ago, Feragus said:

I agree with you from my very limited experience stabby. This whole overlapping and chipping away at someones claim seems a bit ridiculous. I think a land claim system such as 7D2D where it's x,y 50x50 foundations etc something along those lines. 1 maybe 2 per person with some sort of achievement or very expensive in game purchase price and completely do away with the overlapping period. You should be able to short yourself on a claim, say john doe has a claim next to jane doe but the claims are 40x50 apart then that should be able to be claimed but you only get that 40x50 section, because I could see how a large company could abuse a 50x50 if they have members put their one claim down 49 from the outer edge of the next one.

Yeah, it would probably make more sense to have preset grids, or hexes to claim, but, implementation would take a server wipe, else everything would go screwy. Other advantage is that if the hexes only covered the islands, and a couple layers deep offshore of the islands, you wouldn't have all these random sea claims for no apparent reason. I hope that the deep sea trenches that are coming are in Golden Age areas, else if there are resources there, there's a chance some random company already dropped a sea claim there.

It wouldn't take a server wipe. Create a new server with the new ruleset. Test them both and see which one is best for launch.

Even with the updates made, this system still has problems.  I had two claims overlapping claims, which both were refreshed w/in the last 24 hours.  I come back today to see that somebody has overlapped both of these claims w/o contesting them.  Now the overlap area shows as THEIR claim.   How can that possibly be the expected behavior.  I've tried to make claims that overlapped and i'm always told that you have to contest the other claim.   Apparently the other company figured out an exploit, or the system is still bugged.